***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

140,770 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thibs looks like an older Biff from back to the future
gigem1223
First 60 point, 20 reb triple double in nba history
Zachary Klement
AG
Luka is the best player in the league right now.
Spaceship
AG
What a game and what a performance! Luka is a magician. First 60 point/20 rebound triple-double in NBA history…wow.
dave94
AG
That falling away shot off the missed free throw to tie it was magic.
PatAg
AG

This dude next to Brunson on the bench knew the second Luka caught it, it was going to OT
Spaceship
AG
Dwight Powell tonight - 31 mins, 2 pts, 0 rebs. SMH
gigem1223
Spaceship said:

Dwight Powell tonight - 31 mins, 2 pts, 0 rebs. SMH

Him and Bullock are ****ing terrible
The Shank Ag
Was there…. can confirm, was awesome
PatAg
AG
zgolfz85
AG
Still not as wild as our northern Iowa win
txagman1998
AG
jograki
AG
WOW. What an incredible game tonight!
dave94
AG
txagman1998 said:

Nice to be on the good side of one of these
jtstanley4621
AG
Luka is both the present and the future of the NBA and our front office better be thanking god every single time he puts on a Mavs jersey. GET THIS MAN THE HELP HE DESERVES
PatAg
AG
FriscoKid
AG
I'm very lucky to have been at this game and the 7OT LSU game. I don't feel one bit sorry for the losers that left this game early last light. Fans were streaming out. They missed one of the greatest games in history. (Reminded me of LSU a lot)
jograki
AG
Wow, you have some great luck with huge games! Pretty cool
MW03
AG

I love the exuberance with which he plays. You know 99.9% of the league would have been snarling and walking tough after that. I hope this goofy MFer is ours forever.
double aught
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Luka is both the present and the future of the NBA and our front office better be thanking god every single time he puts on a Mavs jersey. GET THIS MAN THE HELP HE DESERVES
Every time he goes off is just a little bittersweet for me, because this is in the back of my mind. He carries his team more than anyone else in the league, and they've got to beef up the supporting cast.
jtstanley4621
AG
double aught said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Every time he goes off is just a little bittersweet for me, because this is in the back of my mind. He carries his team more than anyone else in the league, and they've got to beef up the supporting cast.

Yep. If he ends up walking that will be one of the biggest front office fails of all time. Luka seems to be a great dude, but the sort of loyalty Dirk showed the Mavs will probably never be seen again. They absolutely must do everything possible to put pieces around Luka or he's gone.

The man literally had to drop a 60 point triple double to beat the Knicks by 5 in OT. The greatness of the performance overshadows how embarrassing that should be for the supporting cast
zgolfz85
AG
well surely after this season, people will have to want to play with him, right? surely we can get the type of interest that Lebron was able to pull. The tough part with Luka (and the reason I love him even more) is that he isn't as buddy-buddy with other players and doesn't politic nearly as much as Lebron. On the flip side though, Luka isn't a baby back ***** like Lebron either, so if I'm a top player, especially one without a ring yet, surely playing alongside the white (less dramatic, mostly) Lebron has to be compelling....
Carlo4
AG
Carlo4
AG
On a more serious note, my mother-in-law passed away on 12/21 due to stroke complications. She was the biggest mavericks fan. I feel like this one was for her tonight. What a game.
MW03
AG
Carlo4 said:

On a more serious note, my mother-in-law passed away on 12/21 due to stroke complications. She was the biggest mavericks fan. I feel like this one was for her tonight. What a game.
Sorry for your loss. Especially tough this time of year. I hope seeing Luka play like that brought your family a much needed smile thinking about how much she loved the team.
mavsfan4ever
AG
zgolfz85 said:

well surely after this season, people will have to want to play with him, right? surely we can get the type of interest that Lebron was able to pull. The tough part with Luka (and the reason I love him even more) is that he isn't as buddy-buddy with other players and doesn't politic nearly as much as Lebron. On the flip side though, Luka isn't a baby back ***** like Lebron either, so if I'm a top player, especially one without a ring yet, surely playing alongside the white (less dramatic, mostly) Lebron has to be compelling....

The problem is that Luka is so ball dominant that no guards/wings are going to want to play with him. I think that's the problem that all the ball dominant players have when trying to build a team around them that includes another star or two.
zgolfz85
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

zgolfz85 said:

The problem is that Luka is so ball dominant that no guards/wings are going to want to play with him. I think that's the problem that all the ball dominant players have when trying to build a team around them that includes another star or two.
agreed, but Lebron was able to do it. Dude is 75 yrs old and annoying af and there's still dudes wanting to play with him. I just don't think other players need to see that much more luka magic to realize this dude is a once in a generation guy and to hop on that train
FriscoKid
AG
MW03
AG
zgolfz85 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

zgolfz85 said:

agreed, but Lebron was able to do it. Dude is 75 yrs old and annoying af and there's still dudes wanting to play with him. I just don't think other players need to see that much more luka magic to realize this dude is a once in a generation guy and to hop on that train

Clout chasing. It's one thing to link up with a dude that can bring you a title. It's another to link up with a dude that can bring you a title and is worth $1BB and a media monolith. Lebron is the ultimate clout chaser, and so are most famous athletes.

That's what people never got about Dirk. Dirk might be the consummate teammate and a guy that could take you to a title. But Dirk was not the guy that was going to take you with him to meetings with Warner Bros. or Nike or AT&T or whatever. And aside from one glorious night in 2011, he wasn't the guy showing at Liv with an entourage for the glitterati and paparazzi. He just didn't care about that stuff. Incidentally, that might be why he was content to stay in Dallas. He did not need what the coasts could offer. He didn't want it.

Luka will bring in talent if people want to be around Luka for the limelight. The question is whether Luka wants the limelight, too, and if so, is there enough of it in Dallas. Or does he need to be seen on South Beach or Hollywood or NYC to "grow his brand."
zgolfz85
AG
we all hope he's dirk 2.0 in that regard. If he is and he stays loyal to the mavs through personnel turnover and ups and downs, we'd be the most blessed (or lucky) franchise in the history of sports, especially in the modern look at me era.

I feel like the NBA today though is full of dudes who want to win and don't need the traditional red carpet spotlight. There's a lot of dudes out there (not saying any of these would pair with Luka, certainly not anytime soon) like Jokic, Dame, Donovan Mitchell, Giannis, CJ McCollum, Kawhi, etc. There's still plenty of "look at me" guys like Zion, PG13, etc. too, but I feel like not nearly as much as when Lebron went to Miami and then back to Cleveland on to LAL, etc.

Hopefully we can get a proper number 2 or a couple of aging, but still premier vets we can pair with him when the time comes. In the meantime, I'm still holding out hope that we can figure out this Luka/C Wood one-two punch dynamic and take full advantage. At the moment, it's still very hit or miss and awkward. J Kidd needs to step it up in that realm. I feel like Carlisle would have a much better 2022 record with this roster.
gigem1223
5 in a row and up to the 5 seed. Hard to believe just 3 games back of the 1 seed. West is wide open.
jograki
AG

Too funny. Sorry Michael!
fightinags2013
AG
Another at 50+
What a run he is on
PatAg
AG
Finley was the man, he had that same jumper as Jordan. (visually at least)
South Platte
January 1 and we're in 4th place in the West. Just like we all predicted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.