***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

143,355 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd trade him to the North Korean national team before I traded him to San Antonio.
shack009
AG
Cap space is not the asset you think it is. Cap space means another Reggie Bullock and Javale McGee.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Luka was literally *****ing at the ref when we were down two so he couldn't help out on defense when heyward drove right past him. I'm so done with his constant *****ing and complaining. It's not even fun watching him anymore .
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the dude needs to get a grip on what he really wants in this league, because this season has become somewhat empty numbers diva-esque. When you consistently don't play defense to complain about fouls, it starts to tell me you care more about personal numbers than winning. Their problems are not his fault, but he's exacerbating some of them
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Cap space is not the asset you think it is. Cap space means another Reggie Bullock and Javale McGee.
Cap space allows you to acquire assets. That's pretty much how the Spurs have acquired 15 FRPs and 20-something SRPs.

In this case, the Spurs would be able to take on those awful contracts along with Luka because of their cap space. Having flexible cap space is certainly better than paying 46mm/year for Hardaway/Bertans/Maxi if you are rebuilding. That's how Miami was able to put together the Superfriends that Dirk beat. It's how Cleveland was able to add Love/LeBron.
shack009
AG
Correct. Cap space is the potential to maybe possibly be better or worse or the same.
mavsfan4ever
AG
To make it worse, I don't even know what Luka was *****ing about. About them not calling an offensive foul on the guy he was guarding when it wasn't even close to an offensive foul? How do you literally turn your head away from the ball to ***** at a ref with 8 seconds on the shot clock and you're down 2 with under a minute left? He's ridiculous.
M.C. Swag
AG
I'm in a dark place
Guitarsoup
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

To make it worse, I don't even know what Luka was *****ing about. About them not calling an offensive foul on the guy he was guarding when it wasn't even close to an offensive foul? How do you literally turn your head away from the ball to ***** at a ref with 8 seconds on the shot clock and you're down 2 with under a minute left? He's ridiculous.
Yeah, I have no idea what he is complaining about here. Is there a better view?

Guitarsoup
AG
Draft situation for Mavs:

They are currently 11th worst in the league, not in the play-in and Luka doesn't play against Indiana.

If Dallas stays at 11th, they have about 11% chance at a top-4 pick, or else it would be 11th or worse and would go to NYK.

Dallas and Chicago have essentially the same record (Dallas has one more win and one more loss).

10th place team has a 16.6% chance at top 4, then a 66% chance at getting the 10th pick. In that situation, Dallas would keep the pick.

Utah is one game below the Mavs for 9th place. 9th place would have a 20% chance at top 4, 50% at 9th and 26% at 10th. So just a ~4% chance of the pick going to the Knicks.

Utah is 1 game back from OKC for the play-in. Wizards have two games on the Jazz for 8th.

Basically, the Mavs are simultaneously 1 game out of 9th worst and a 96% chance at keeping their draft pick and a half game back on OKC for the playin.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I'm in a dark place

Don't be. We weren't winning anything this year with this roster. We should be happy our odds of keeping a top 10 pick keep going up and up.
shack009
AG
Unfortunately we have the tiebreaker with Utah so we would have to fall a game behind them. They have been in tank mode for a few weeks now but somehow Markanen and THT could win them some games.
shack009
AG
I also wouldn't count out OKC shutting down Shai at any minute and they would lose every game after that with that roster. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Unfortunately we have the tiebreaker with Utah so we would have to fall a game behind them. They have been in tank mode for a few weeks now but somehow Markanen and THT could win them some games.
Tiebreaker doesn't work that way in the lottery anymore. They do for the playoffs, though.

If they tie for 9th/10th, both teams will divide the lottery balls equally and they will flip a coin to see who ends at 9 or 10 and the team that gets 10 would get the 9th pick in the second round.
shack009
AG
That's great news. Appreciate the info!
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

That's great news. Appreciate the info!
Had to become a lottery expert rather than watching games of these ****ty spurs.
shack009
AG
Way to take the positive aspects!
mavsfan4ever
AG
Guitarsoup said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Yeah, I have no idea what he is complaining about here. Is there a better view?

No clue. But I'm not talking about the tech. I'm talking about the most important possession of the game when we were down 2 with 50 seconds left.
zgolfz85
AG
luka continues to prove day in and day out that he's no dirk....
shack009
AG
We would do well to remember Dirk didn't go to his first finals until his 11th season and didn't win until his 16th season.
HawthornAggie
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I think the whole board knows Luka is better when comparing their first 5 years in the league.
zgolfz85
AG
HawthornAggie said:

zgolfz85 said:

I think the whole board knows Luka is better when comparing their first 5 years in the league.

I'm not talking about their talent and results…I'm talking about their character
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Also let me know when the mavs get Luka the equivalent of JET, Kidd, Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler, DeShawn Stevenson, etc. to help Luka win games.

Mavs are an unserious organization right now that has rolled out Dwight Powell at C for the better part of a decade.
South Platte
shack009 said:

We would do well to remember Dirk didn't go to his first finals until his 11th season and didn't win until his 16th season.

We won 50+ games for like 10 years straight with Dirk. We didn't have seasons like this until he got old and we lost all our good players.

This team is a total failure. The franchise is in complete disarray, which is unthinkable after reaching the WCF last year. This isn't growing pains with young players.

The Stars seem to be the only franchise in this town with a steady plan. The others are completely ridiculous.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Also let me know when the mavs get Luka the equivalent of JET, Kidd, Tyson Chandler, Caron Butler, DeShawn Stevenson, etc. to help Luka win games.

Mavs are an unserious organization right now that has rolled out Dwight Powell at C for the better part of a decade.

Put dirk on this abortion of a team and I guarantee you he doesn't take a third of his defensive plays off griping about fouls that never existed. Anytime he misses a shot, it's because he was fouled. He's the kid at the rec that everyone hates…

I say all of this as a giant Luka stan
shack009
AG
South Platte said:

shack009 said:

We won 50+ games for like 10 years straight with Dirk. We didn't have seasons like this until he got old and we lost all our good players.

This team is a total failure. The franchise is in complete disarray, which is unthinkable after reaching the WCF last year. This isn't growing pains with young players.

The Stars seem to be the only franchise in this town with a steady plan. The others are completely ridiculous.

I agree the team is a total failure. But that's because the players on it aren't very good. Who is the third best player on the team? Is it a toss up between Josh Green and CWood? There were never Mavs teams that had this little talent when Dirk was winning 50+ games.

People need to understand that last year was an aberration. We got matched up with an overrated Utah team and then shot lights out in 4 games against the Suns to get to the WCF to be blown out by a not superb Warriors team.

This team needs so much help, talent-wise.
HawthornAggie
AG
shack009 said:

South Platte said:

shack009 said:

I agree the team is a total failure. But that's because the players on it aren't very good. Who is the third best player on the team? Is it a toss up between Josh Green and CWood? There were never Mavs teams that had this little talent when Dirk was winning 50+ games.

People need to understand that last year was an aberration. We got matched up with an overrated Utah team and then shot lights out in 4 games against the Suns to get to the WCF to be blown out by a not superb Warriors team.

Great points. The fact that Dwight Powell has started as many games as he has since Luka has been here is incredible. From a talent perspective, how many other NBA teams would he be starting for?
Guitarsoup
AG
Wood has to be the 3rd best player. But his stats feel super hollow. He fills up the offensive stats, but his on-off numbers are negative, largely because of the defensive numbers. Kyrie, Luka, Hardaway, Powell, and Green are all positive. Wood, Bullock, Maxi, Hardy are all negative.
shack009
AG
HawthornAggie said:

shack009 said:

South Platte said:

shack009 said:

Great points. The fact that Dwight Powell has started as many games as he has since Luka has been here is incredible. From a talent perspective, how many other NBA teams would he be starting for?

I just looked on ESPN and Dwight Powell is rostered in 0.9% of fantasy leagues. He is the 75th most rostered player with Center eligibility.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

shack009 said:

South Platte said:

shack009 said:

I just looked on ESPN and Dwight Powell is rostered in 0.9% of fantasy leagues. He is the 75th most rostered player with Center eligibility.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean much to his value on court. He's a solid defensive center. Stevenson and JJ Barea started over Terry. Who was the better guard?
Jeff99
LOL

You're kidding, right? I mean, if you want to drift over from the Spurs thread, fine, but this is a painfully dumb take.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

shack009 said:

South Platte said:

shack009 said:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean much to his value on court. He's a solid defensive center. Stevenson and JJ Barea started over Terry. Who was the better guard?

I realize it's a gross oversimplification, but basically in terms of on court production, fantasy players consider Powell a 3rd string NBA center. There are no serious teams out there operating like that.

In fact, the Mavs only have three players that are heavily rostered in fantasy leagues: Luka, Kyrie, and Wood is rostered in 85% of leagues. The next closest is THJ in 12% of leagues.

Serious teams don't have 3 playable fantasy players haha. Again, I realize this is overly simplistic, but a crazy perspective on how bad the talent and production is from almost the entire roster.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

shack009 said:

South Platte said:

shack009 said:

It might be time for you to stay off this thread for bit.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

shack009 said:

South Platte said:

shack009 said:

I realize it's a gross oversimplification, but basically in terms of on court production, fantasy players consider Powell a 3rd string NBA center. There are no serious teams out there operating like that.

In fact, the Mavs only have three players that are heavily rostered in fantasy leagues: Luka, Kyrie, and Wood is rostered in 85% of leagues. The next closest is THJ in 12% of leagues.

Serious teams don't have 3 playable fantasy players haha. Again, I realize this is overly simplistic, but a crazy perspective on how bad the talent and production is from almost the entire roster.
Yeah, I don't disagree at all in the Mavs having a lack of talent. But I also wouldn't ever use fantasy rosters as a metric to judge an individual player's worth to a team. That's absolutely crazy.

Most teams have role players that are very positive for their team, but their contributions don't necessarily show up on a fantasy stat sheet. Isn't Alex Caruso the poster boy for this?
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

shack009 said:

South Platte said:

shack009 said:

Yeah, I don't disagree at all in the Mavs having a lack of talent. But I also wouldn't ever use fantasy rosters as a metric to judge an individual player's worth to a team. That's absolutely crazy.

There are certain things JJ Barea and guys like Jose Alvarado bring to a team that aren't measured in fantasy, but Dwight Powell is useless in both fantasy and real life. I'm not sure you want to die on the Dwight Powell hill.

He's a rim-running center who isn't overly athletic and doesn't really protect the rim either. He used to shoot 3s early in his career but he stopped shooting and his FT percentage has been consistently below average. He has to lead the league in dropped rebounds or dropped passes, as well as getting inadvertent shots to the face.

His on/off numbers may be good because he is on the court when Luka is on the court. Put it this way: there are no playoff teams that want Powell on their team, let alone as their starter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.