***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

143,669 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Tim Hardaway Sr. and Mark Cuban running their mouths a bunch today. What morons.

Link?
Zachary Klement
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Tim Hardaway Sr. and Mark Cuban running their mouths a bunch today. What morons.

Link?

PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

mavsfan4ever said:

PatAg said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Man I disagree on Brunson. He was great in 20-21 other than the playoff series. And Rick didn't play him as much as he should have. He averaged 12-13 points on 52% shooting, 40% 3 point shooting, 80% free throw shooting, and a great assist/turnover ratio. His advanced stats were also good that year. And that was with Carlisle not playing him as much as he should have. He also massively passed the eye test. It was obvious he was at minimum going to be a good player in the league and had a chance to be special.

The playoff series was very bad but that shouldn't overshadow his whole season. Plus, I blamed ric for part of that for just choosing to not play one of our better players of the season.

Like I said, it was obvious he was going to be a good player and had s chance to keep improving. But even if he was just good, and never improved much, 4/55 would still be a decent contract. That's peanuts in the NBA. I would've been more than fine offering him that even after the playoff series. This isn't hindsight. One of the main reasons I was thrilled that Carlisle was gone was that I thought Brunson would have much more freedom and playing time.

That's what you pay your front office to do. Know the players who could break out and get them signed to team friendly deals before they break out. And if they dont break out but are still good players, then that's fine as well if they are in a 4/55. That was a massive mistake by the front office. Anyone who watched every mavs game that year saw brunson's ability and potential if he got a coach that allowed him to do more, and I think would've been fine with a 4/55 if they realized how cheap of a contract that is in today's nba.

I'm biased bc I've been a huge Brunson fan ever since his rookie year. But that's my two cents.
I'm a big Brunson fan as well, but the fact is that he got shut down against the Clippers in 20-21. Its not because Rick didnt trust him, or didnt play him as much as he should have. It was a bad matchup for him, and he wasn't getting it done. Maybe he just got unlucky and it was a temporary dip in his form, but he has always struggled against bigger mobile defenders. He did have a good year, and he seemed to have figure out how to operate with Luka on the offense.
Playoff series do matter, because while the regular season is important, your flaws tend to get truly exposed in the playoffs. Personally, I would have paid him in that offseason if we could, but to me it seems very obvious he intended to go to NY the whole time.

Agree he struggled in the playoffs that year. That would be a big red flag if we were going to have to pay him 4/100 that summer. But the contract would've been 4/55. I'm fine giving great regular season players who may struggle in the playoffs against certain matchups 4/55. And that's assuming he wouldn't get better (which he did and which the front office should've known was more likely than not).

That's why not offering him 4/55 that summer is so frustrating. I agree with everyone saying we should've made him say no last summer as well. He probably would have still gone to NY at that point in my opinion, but we still should've made him say no. But the summer before is just as infuriating to me.

But that's what we get when we have a shoe guy as our GM. I'm ready for both Kidd and Nico to be gone.
We don't know what conversations were held. What evidence is there that he would have taken the 4/55 you say we should have offered.
Brunson has publicly stated he would have signed the extension if it was offered but the Mavs wanted to use him as trade bait instead so they never offered it until after the deadline (as signing an extension would have made him trade ineligible).

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jalen-brunson-reportedly-wouldve-signed-with-mavericks-for-55-5m-who-are-paying-royally-for-their-mistake/
Well now Cuban has publicly stated something countering this.

Zachary Klement
AG

The most unfortunate one.
PatAg
AG
I'll say this, I hope someone that Luka would listen to is giving him a similar bit of critical feedback.
Every player is going to complain about the refs to some extent in a game, adn I do think he doesnt get anywhere near the amount of calls he should get.
But he has to learn to let the majority of it go and stay in the moment, then he can pick and choose when to make a bigger deal out of it. It's not like Dirk never complained.
and he needs that reality check about his defense. I think Luka is capable of improving in these areas, because you dont get as good as he is without being basketball smart.
M.C. Swag
AG
Cuban is countering his own statements. In the video I linked after the WCF he STATED that he thinks Brunson wants to be a Mav (which Brunson also said) and that Dallas would offer the most. So which version of Cuban is telling the truth?
Zachary Klement
AG
PatAg said:

I'll say this, I hope someone that Luka would listen to is giving him a similar bit of critical feedback.
Every player is going to complain about the refs to some extent in a game, adn I do think he doesnt get anywhere near the amount of calls he should get.
But he has to learn to let the majority of it go and stay in the moment, then he can pick and choose when to make a bigger deal out of it. It's not like Dirk never complained.
and he needs that reality check about his defense. I think Luka is capable of improving in these areas, because you dont get as good as he is without being basketball smart.
Agree Luka needs to be better, but I think that is far down the list of issues.

By the time that gets fixed, he will be gone, and Cuban and his personnel genius will be trying to find complementary pieces for Dyt Powell.
Ol Jock 99
AG
We're 6.5 point fav vs Sac tonight.
zgolfz85
AG
geez....yeah, they all sound like idiots and just need to shut up. Tim Hardaway Sr's comment...I'm actually not mad about that one. Luka went from being a leader last season to a typical gen z whiney ***** this season. He needs to realize that his legacy is largely going to depend on his ability to lead and continuing to get the best out of his teammates. His leadership has been way too on again/off again this year.
zgolfz85
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

if we win this game, I'm burning some mavs merch
Zachary Klement
AG
zgolfz85 said:

geez....yeah, they all sound like idiots and just need to shut up. Tim Hardaway Sr's comment...I'm actually not mad about that one. Luka went from being a leader last season to a typical gen z whiney ***** this season. He needs to realize that his legacy is largely going to depend on his ability to lead and continuing to get the best out of his teammates. His leadership has been way too on again/off again this year.
Sr.'s comments were problematic because Jr. came out and refuted them this afternoon. Just seems incredibly stupid to put your son and his team in that position, and for what?

Luka needs to dial it back, but I am far less concerned about that than I am his idiot owner's ability to surround him with talent and put us in a position to win.
PatAg
AG

THJ has just always seen like the best teammate since we got him. His inconsistency frustrates me, of course, and his salary was crazy, but he is still a good player. just not a great one
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Cuban is countering his own statements. In the video I linked after the WCF he STATED that he thinks Brunson wants to be a Mav (which Brunson also said) and that Dallas would offer the most. So which version of Cuban is telling the truth?
Probably no version, lol
M.C. Swag
AG
Fair
zgolfz85
AG
PatAg said:

THJ has just always seen like the best teammate since we got him. His inconsistency frustrates me, of course, and his salary was crazy, but he is still a good player. just not a great one

Ha didn't help that THS called DFS dorian Finley smith and lumped in spencer as our other "defensive" guy
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Gotta give THJ a lot of credit for his statement to the media and how he handled the situation. Clearly his father is free to give his opinion on the Mavs, but he also has to realize what a terrible situation he put his son in. THJ's response was well thought out and very respectful, while also making it clear he strongly disagreed with his Dad's take.
MW03
AG
Luka needs a "Holger"
shack009
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

This was a rat line. A stupid public was on the Mavs because Sacramento is on night 2 of a back to back.

The problem is it doesn't hurt as bad as people think and the Kings are very young.
gigem1223
Tony Romo sighting on the floor seats
Ol Jock 99
AG
"We can be heroes for just one day…"
AggieKatie2
AG
Seasons on the line and still can't be bothered to play D.
Proposition Joe
M.C. Swag said:

I admittedly don't follow NBA contract negotiations much at all -- but are they not similar to MLB negotiations where sure you might get some "public" offer sheets, but the majority of it is done in private?

If that's the case, then just because an "offer sheet" of the highest offer wasn't publicized doesn't mean an offer wasn't made.
Carlo4
AG
So we won. Welp see you later
Guitarsoup
AG
Zachary Klement said:

The most unfortunate one.
For at least 2 more games.
shack009
AG
Carlo4 said:

So we won. Welp see you later

We are a stupid organization that would rather finish tenth in the west and lose in the play-in than attempt to keep a top 10 draft pick.
Guitarsoup
AG
If it helps, Dallas and Chicago are tied, but Chicago has clinched a play-in berth.

OKC and Dallas are tied for the final play-in, but OKC has the tiebreaker.

Bottom 10 is still there if that is what you want.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't think Luka would accept sitting until we have been eliminated. We risk ruining our relationship with him if we forced him to sit.

I'm probably giving our front office too much credit, and they probably think we can still win a championship this year. But it's a sticky situation
zgolfz85
AG
I'm just waiting for the inevitable worst case scenario of us squeaking in, losing play in, losing draft pick and losing kyrie
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable worst case scenario of us squeaking in, losing play in, losing draft pick and losing kyrie
Of course all of this is going to happen and our organization is actually attempting this scenario as we speak. We are in the midst of watching our organization attempt a giant train wreck. In 3 months we will be in a worse position because they didn't want to lose a home game to Sacramento last night.
jeffdjohnson
zgolfz85 said:

All of this is going to happen except the Mavs won't even make the play-in. OKC is playing a tanking Utah team followed by a Memphis team that will be resting their players. OKC will be favored in both games. The Mavs will be playing a Chicago team that will be resting players followed by a tanking Spurs team. The Mavs will be favored in both games. The Mavs will try to win because "they have a chance" which will take them past Chicago in the standings where they will finish in 11th place. At this point, unless either Dallas or OKC get upset they will not be making the play-in and will lose their pick.
shack009
AG
Big win by OKC tonight.
Zachary Klement
AG

Cuban is a cheap joke. Getting to be like Jerry Jones for me.
Ol Jock 99
AG
11.5 point favs tonight vs Bulls.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Cuban is a cheap joke. Getting to be like Jerry Jones for me.
Cuban is far worse than Jerry.

Jerry can get ANYONE to sign and play here. Cuban is not only a complete clown, he can't attract talent.

He's easily the worst Dallas sports owner.
The Pilot
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.