***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

140,765 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's definitely pathetic that they seem to be incapable of putting the right kind of players around Luka.
zgolfz85
AG
so much lol
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

so much lol

They should over-exaggerate what happened to Luka when KLove fell on his ankle. Absolutely no need for Luka to play another game this year.
J.P. 03
AG
shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

so much lol

They should over-exaggerate what happened to Luka when KLove fell on his ankle. Absolutely no need for Luka to play another game this year.

Oh no. This suggestion just made me realize there's a way to actually make the nightmare scenario we've been discussing on this thread even worse: shut Luka down for the rest of the season, then watch the scrubs finish the year undefeated behind Hardy putting up 30+ a night, including assists galore to Wood who averages 20+ before bolting this sinking ship in free agency. Win just enough to finish 1 game out of the final play-in spot, ship the #11 pick to the Knicks, and watch Kyrie sign with the Lakers. This team is killing me.
shack009
AG
J.P. 03 said:

shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

so much lol

Oh no. This suggestion just made me realize there's a way to actually make the nightmare scenario we've been discussing on this thread even worse: shut Luka down for the rest of the season, then watch the scrubs finish the year undefeated behind Hardy putting up 30+ a night, including assists galore to Wood who averages 20+ before bolting this sinking ship in free agency. Win just enough to finish 1 game out of the final play-in spot, ship the #11 pick to the Knicks, and watch Kyrie sign with the Lakers. This team is killing me.

I could see all your statistical predictions come true, but how is that group winning any games?
Carlo4
AG
Has a team shooting 77% (33/43) from 2 pt territory ever lost an NBA game before tonight? Mavs just did it.
J.P. 03
AG
shack009 said:

I could see all your statistical predictions come true, but how is that group winning any games?

On paper, they absolutely SHOULDN'T win any more games, but since we're taking about nightmare scenarios here, that's probably what will happen.

The only thing that could make it worse is for JaVale McGee to suddenly wake up and decide he cares about basketball again by ending the year with a string of double-doubles off the bench to put the cherry on top of this "what could have been" sundae, but I left that off my initial list because even the basketball gods aren't miracle workers.
Seven Costanza
AG
Looking at Dallas' final four games, Atlanta, Chicago, and Sacramento still have something to play for (at least at the moment), so Dallas shouldn't have to worry about any supertanking on their end. San Antonio is tanking, but they've already secured a bottom-3 record, and there is no difference between #1-3 as far as lottery odds, so I suppose that could help lessen the tanking somewhat (although it's going to be with the same players and it's not like the players themselves are trying to lose).
shack009
AG
The Bulls beat the Grizzlies today. We are now a game "ahead" of Chicago for 10th worst record.
JTA1029
AG
How can I watch this game? NBA TV on Amazon tells me to get bent because of my geographic location. Is there an internet sleuth way of watching it?
shack009
AG
JTA1029 said:

How can I watch this game? NBA TV on Amazon tells me to get bent because of my geographic location. Is there an internet sleuth way of watching it?

You probably have to have Bally Southwest, if you are in the DFW market.
TefIon Don
AG
Gotta get this W
zgolfz85
AG
Can't believe we almost won that. Now the tank has to happen
Goldie Wilson
The tank has been happening for weeks
beagle2009
AG
Time to flush this season
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm guessing we must be tanking. Otherwise why give the ball to Luka instead of Kyrie at the end of regulation.

And why did hardy only play 14 minutes.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Need to watch the Thunder; they are trying to out tank us.
TheMasterplan
We're trying to tank here dude.
TefIon Don
AG
Username checks out
PatAg
AG
No real fan actually roots for tanking openly.
DannyDuberstein
AG
PatAg said:

Disagree here. It's long game vs short game thinking. It doesn't mean someone is less of a fan.
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

Come on man. If you were the Spurs this year you would want them to try to win games instead of go for the highest odds at drafting the best prospect since LeBron?

For the mavs, you would rather us try to make the playoffs to surely lose in the first round, rather than hope to keep a top 10 pick that will likely make the team better for at least the next 4 years?
AggieRob93
AG
shack009 said:

PatAg said:

Come on man. If you were the Spurs this year you would want them to try to win games instead of go for the highest odds at drafting the best prospect since LeBron?

For the mavs, you would rather us try to make the playoffs to surely lose in the first round, rather than hope to keep a top 10 pick that will likely make the team better for at least the next 4 years?
Not if Kidd is still the coach.
shack009
AG
AggieRob93 said:

shack009 said:

PatAg said:

Not if Kidd is still the coach.

Well having better players always helps. I have had my issues with Kidd this season, but let's not pretend this roster is anything special.

Before this season started, we had a bottom 5 roster if you take out Luka. Now it's a bottom 3 roster if you remove Luka and Kyrie.

As I've said before, whoever our third best player is, that guy would not be in the rotation for any playoff team.

The mavs need help up and down the roster and at the HC position.
shack009
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Need to watch the Thunder; they are trying to out tank us.
Thunder and Jazz play each other this week, so will be interesting to see who wins and how it impacts our positioning. Two Jazz wins this week and the Mavs could jump to 9th worst record.

OKC also plays Memphis in the final game and it is very likely Memphis has their playoff seed locked up. Memphis could sit all their guys and OKC wins by default.
rsf0626
The mavs are at a very critical point in their franchise. If kyrie walks (which is very possible), i expect luka to ask out after next year. If that happens, the mavs are basically where the rockets are rn and one of the worst teams in the league for years
M.C. Swag
AG
If Luka requests out, the Mavs would be decidedly worse than the rockets RN.
MW03
AG
rsf0626 said:

The mavs are at a very critical point in their franchise. If kyrie walks (which is very possible), i expect luka to ask out after next year. If that happens, the mavs are basically where the rockets are rn and one of the worst teams in the league for years
dave94
AG
rsf0626 said:

That's ridiculous. This is the first year of his deal.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Seven firsts and Keldon. Take the deal
J.P. 03
AG
So what do the Mavs do if Kyrie tells them the only way he's staying is if they max him out over 4 years? Is it worth $200-ish million to prevent a Jalen Brunson repeat?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think you pay the man.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

First off, this is extremely premature and wild speculation.

Second, I don't think that would be true. A Luka trade would have to include guys who can play right now.

The most comparable recent trade is the Anthony Davis trade, in which the Pelicans got Ingram, Lonzo, and Josh Hart to go with three first rounders and a pick swap. That is three guys who could start on a good team, one of which is a top 30-40 player in the league.

The Jazz just got Markkanen, Sexton, and Agbaji (who was just drafted in the lottery) in the deal for Mitchell, plus three first rounders and two swaps. The Jazz were winning games with these guys early in the year.

OKC got SGA in the Paul George deal. They had to shut SGA down last year to ensure they lost enough games. Now SGA is one of the 15 best guys in the league.

The point is, if the Mavs were to trade Luka, which they won't, they would have to receive young players who can really play immediately. Not just Keldon Johnson, like GuitarSoup would have us believe.
M.C. Swag
AG
I understand that but the pelicans were lucky that AD requested out SPECIFICALLY to the Lakers. We could just as easily have a Kawhi situation where the best offer is freaking Derozan and some role players. It's a hypothetical I don't like to play in because no matter the package, no return will be equal to Luka.
shack009
AG
J.P. 03 said:

So what do the Mavs do if Kyrie tells them the only way he's staying is if they max him out over 4 years? Is it worth $200-ish million to prevent a Jalen Brunson repeat?
You probably have to do it. Guys in the league like Kyrie as a person and they like playing with him. He plays a fun style that guys want to play with. Hopefully that turns in to some experienced guys wanting to come play here on affordable deals, but that hasn't happened for us in the past.

We also need to figure out how to get rid of the Bertans and THJ contracts. Which 2024 tankers want to take those guys and give us 3&D and/or a playable center?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.