***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

143,718 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

VORE!!!
South Platte
So nobody's going to bring up Kyrie Irving? We don't want him, no way Jose? 7 time All-Star?
Trucker 96
Rondo level ticking bomb. Pass
Ol Jock 99
AG
South Platte said:

So nobody's going to bring up Kyrie Irving? We don't want him, no way Jose? 7 time All-Star?
The question on ANY player must be "will he fit in with Luka". Pretty sure the consensus on Irving is that he absolutely would not.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol I'd rather sign one of us TexAgs posters than Kyrie
PatAg
AG
I don't get how anyone that watches the NBA could think we would want Kyrie
HawthornAggie
AG
Gimme Bradley Beal or Zach Lavine over Kyrie. Add Jalen Brunson over Kyrie as well. As good as Kyrie is, I don't want him anywhere near the Mavs.
J.P. 03
AG
Anybody followed John Wall's career the last few years (when he's actually been healthy enough to play)? Keep seeing reports that Houston could buy him out, which could present an interesting opportunity for the Mavs to sign him cheap as a fallback option if Brunson goes to the Knicks. I'll admit I've watched zero games he's appeared in the last couple years. so I have no idea if he's even worth the effort at this point, but curious if any of y'all have any insight.
Trucker 96
Might not be the worst desperation plan option. Played 40 games in 3 years and none last year though. Tough to evaluate that.
South Platte
Ol Jock 99 said:

South Platte said:

The question on ANY player must be "will he fit in with Luka". Pretty sure the consensus on Irving is that he absolutely would not.
Luka's game cannot be set in stone - he's 23. If we hope to win a title, he will have to modify his game to complement a top level player. Maybe Kyrie isn't that player. But how often are future Hall of Famers are sitting around at 30 years old looking for a team to spend the rest of his career with?

We've been unable to get a top level #2 since Jason Kidd at the end of his career, if you can even call him a top level #2. We can name a bunch of current stars, but most of them aren't walking through that door to play with a white dude.
NoahAg
Kyrie
Let's go, Brandon!
HawthornAggie
AG
Kyrie Irving staying with the nets and John Wall signing with the Clippers per ESPN
zgolfz85
AG
more and more signs pointing to us losing brunson
Texas Ag 15
AG
i've read some of that as well, specifically, Brunson's camp feeling that he will be limited in development here with Luka since he is so ball dominant. It's definitely a larger risk for him to go to the Knicks where you have to prove you can be THE guy vs you can just follow Luka.

My question would be, what is the backup plan for the Mavs if Brunson doesn't resign? You have to spend that money somehow, and not sure who would even be available for the Mavs to get
kam31
AG
MW03
AG
Texas Ag 15 said:

i've read some of that as well, specifically, Brunson's camp feeling that he will be limited in development here with Luka since he is so ball dominant. It's definitely a larger risk for him to go to the Knicks where you have to prove you can be THE guy vs you can just follow Luka.

My question would be, what is the backup plan for the Mavs if Brunson doesn't resign? You have to spend that money somehow, and not sure who would even be available for the Mavs to get

There's nobody besides Brunson. From @CBAMavs

Quote:

The Mavericks wouldn't gain any mechanism this offseason if Brunson leaves into the Knicks cap space. Dallas is way over the cap. It could help the Mavericks to avoid the tax apron. They would still need to shed more salary but getting below would be easier when you minus what would have been Brunson's $20 million or more salary. That could open the door for receiving a free agent in a sign-and-trade but the Mavericks would have to send out assets to shed the extra money and it might prevent them from being able to use their MLE.

Dallas will also not be a cap space team in 2023 so the benefit of Brunson leaving wouldn't be anything substantial. It could allow the Mavericks to have the Full MLE rather than the Taxpayer MLE depending on who they re-sign out of Maxi Kleber, Christian Wood, Dwight Powell, or Frank Ntilikina.

The Mavericks project to potentially have $45 million in cap space, right! However, that's with only 4 salaries. They will surely add salaries in the future that push them past the point of having usable cap space. The point is, if you have a supermax guy like Luka Doncic and want to remain competitive, you generally won't have cap space.

This is the year where it IS possible the Mavericks could have cap space because their books are pretty clear now. The new TV deal kicks in that year and the Mavericks have a few contracts expiring that summer: Davis Bertans, Tim Hardaway, and maybe an opt-out Dorian Finney-Smith. So signing Brunson COULD block our potential cap space then EXCEPT he'd be 28 and with the cap going up would likely opt out himself!

- - -

Brunson signing for an uncomfortably high amount would not impair the Mavericks in any way. However not re-signing him would yield very little in terms of helping Dallas with team building while also making the Mavericks substantially worse for Luka's young prime.

It would be a huge mistake to let Brunson walk to save a potential $5 million and would be dumb according to their cap sheet and the CBA. Even if you gauge his initial value at $18 million, paying an $18 million dollar player $25 million (or even $27 million) would be a better outcome than hunting for his replacement using the same $6.392 million taxpayer MLE we already have.

If Brunson comes out at his hypothetical Knicks press conference and says something like "The Mavericks offered me more money but I wanted to be with my dad and Leon in the Big Apple" then we would reasonably blame Donnie Nelson for signing him to a non-guaranteed 4th year instead of a team option AND Nico Harrison for not signing Brunson to an extension when it was possible.

It's true that the Luxury Tax is a real threat this season and I have pegged their tax being over $80 million if they re-sign Brunson and use the Taxpayer MLE. They might get some relief next year with Powell and Wood expiring, but having a supermax top five player means Dallas will be in the tax if they want to complete for a championship. Since Luka has stated his goal and Cuban has said keeping Luka is job number one… I don't see letting Brunson walk as a possibility.

PatAg
AG
The 'reporting' on this has been so back and forth, none of these people have any actual insight. We'll just have to find out when Brunson announces it
Peter Klaven
AG
I don't see any way the Mavs will just "let Brunson walk". The Knicks can't give him anywhere near as much money as the Mavs so a sign and trade is the logical step in making this happen. Will the Mavs get good value in return from the Knicks? That remains to be seen...
MW03
AG
Peter Klaven said:

I don't see any way the Mavs will just "let Brunson walk". The Knicks can't give him anywhere near as much money as the Mavs so a sign and trade is the logical step in making this happen. Will the Mavs get good value in return from the Knicks? That remains to be seen...
More from @CBAMavs on why a sign and trade with the Knicks is unlikely.

Zachary Klement
AG
Dang. What an idiot. Hope he has fun playing for daddy. Lucky for him he will have plenty of time to come to Mavs playoff games with his buddy Julius.
M.C. Swag
AG
Well the Hardy pick makes more sense now. I hope that kid is good and ready cuz we're gonna need him.

I need to get this out there…This was a roster that made the WCF and you had a chance to run it back with the addition of Wood + THJ. There's no excuse for letting JB walk for nothing on a team that just made the WCF. It's bad ****ing ownership.

Cuban did the same **** with Tyson in '11. He's cheap. Always has been.

And I don't wanna hear "the WCF was a fluke". Flukey is Boston getting to play the Nets w/o Simmons or Joe Harris & then getting the bucks w/o Middleton & then getting the heat w/o Herro.

Flukey is the bucks getting the Nets w/o harden or Kyrie in '21.

Flukey is the raptors getting the Warriors w/o KD or Klay in '20.

Flukes happen every year & the mavs had a chance to ride w/ the roster that beat a fully healthy 1 seed in the west.

But Cuban punted and letting JB walk pushes the doomsday clock of Luka leaving closer to midnight. He's a joke.
Trucker 96
I don't know that this was Cuban's choice. They hire his dad, his ex-agent (father of his current agent) is running the team, he gets to be lead dog.
Zachary Klement
AG
Fore Left! said:

I don't know that this was Cuban's choice. They hire his dad, his ex-agent (father of his current agent) is running the team, he gets to be lead dog.
There are also reports about him feeling slighted by not being extended and wanting the Mavs to dramatically outbid the Knicks…who is to say $30 mil for Brunson wouldn't end up being KP 2.0 and he became unmovable if he didn't continue to step forward? I'm annoyed we didn't resign him but don't feel like it's a huge loss in all honesty.
Goldie Wilson
If he wants to go there and be the guy then so be it, but no reason to not at least outbid the Knicks. He's certainly much better than nothing at all (nothingatall, nothingatall, nothingatall).
Trucker 96
Goldie Wilson said:

If he wants to go there and be the guy then so be it, but no reason to not at least outbid the Knicks. He's certainly much better than nothing at all (nothingatall, nothingatall, nothingatall).

And at this point, we can't assume him going to the Knicks means the Mavs didn't outbid them.
hph6203
AG
The Knicks spending that kind of money on Brunson is a dumber move than the Mavs not spending that money on Brunson, but they're both dumb moves. Brunson is not going to radically improve the Knicks.
Trucker 96
Yeah, he's not a build-a-team-around guy. He's not even an adequate #2. This is a very Knicks move.

One factor here is the assumption a 5th year is valuable to Brunson. But when a guy is going to be lead dog and feels good about betting on himself, being able to offer an extra year may be meaningless. And even if you are willing to go to $30 mill per year, is an extra $5 mill to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle while also disappointing people close to him worth it to him?
hph6203
AG
The 5 mil more is to get Brunson to accept a 5 year deal. With a 4 year deal the opt out year let's Brunson enter free agency during an offseason where the salary cap could jump 40-50 million. He's getting paid in his next deal if he doesn't improve at all.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't think this is about money. It's about Brunson (and any other "star" players who need the ball) feeling like they are hindered when Luka has the ball 99% of the time. I really hope we keep JB but I can't be mad at him for wanting to leave and be able to show everyone what he can do running the show. And when I say "run the show," that doesn't mean he thinks he going to score 30 per game, etc. but as a great point guard, he has to want the ball in his hands more and to be able to control the game more than he is able to in Dallas. If he wants to see if he can lead a team with the ball in his hands, I don't blame him. The playoff games without Luka showed what he can do when he's got the ball all the time.

But I do blame the Mavs for not offering him the 4/56 deal back in January. That's insane that they were undecided on him by that point.
Trucker 96
From what I have read, the issue was not that they were undecided. It was that they thought they may need him at the deadline as trade bait to land a stud. Still a serious miscalculation now, but a different type
mavsfan4ever
AG
That's what I've read too. But by definition that somewhat means you are undecided. They didn't see what they had and didn't realize how much of a bargain that contract would be. Instead they wanted to wait and see what happened at the trade deadline.

They got very lucky that DFS still took the deal bc they did the same thing with him. Can you imagine if we were looking at losing both of them?
TDub
AG
Kicks front office has lost their mind
hph6203
AG
They're gonna be pumped to make the play in!
Iowaggie
AG
J.P. 03
AG
Hate to say it, but they can have him for $110 million. Time for Nico to earn that paycheck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.