***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

143,700 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Draft situation for Mavs:

They are currently 11th worst in the league, not in the play-in and Luka doesn't play against Indiana.

If Dallas stays at 11th, they have about 11% chance at a top-4 pick, or else it would be 11th or worse and would go to NYK.

Dallas and Chicago have essentially the same record (Dallas has one more win and one more loss).

10th place team has a 16.6% chance at top 4, then a 66% chance at getting the 10th pick. In that situation, Dallas would keep the pick.

Utah is one game below the Mavs for 9th place. 9th place would have a 20% chance at top 4, 50% at 9th and 26% at 10th. So just a ~4% chance of the pick going to the Knicks.

Utah is 1 game back from OKC for the play-in. Wizards have two games on the Jazz for 8th.

Basically, the Mavs are simultaneously 1 game out of 9th worst and a 96% chance at keeping their draft pick and a half game back on OKC for the playin.
From prior to tonight's game.
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

So we need to get to 9th place for a better shot at not losing our draft pick…am I interpreting that right?

Not 9th place, 9th worst record.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

So we need to get to 9th place for a better shot at not losing our draft pick…am I interpreting that right?

Thanks…not used to rooting against my team
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Each day better than the next
shack009
AG
zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

We aren't used to counting from the bottom like Spurs fans.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

shack009 said:

zgolfz85 said:

We aren't used to counting from the bottom like Spurs fans.
I believe you mean Rockets fans. We were in the play-in last two seasons and missed the playoffs the last day the year before.

This is the first year the Spurs have been eliminated from the playoffs prior to the last game since 1997.
PatAg
AG
This team is making the playoffs, and then I guess we will see what they figure out at that point. Always have a shot with Luka
wangus12
AG
shack009 said:

wangus12 said:

Lol the guys on The Fan talked about being in good hands with Kidd to rebuild over the next two years and right the ship

Who tf is listening to the Fan when the ticket is right there? As long as you understand that Sturm and Jake are the only ones worth listening to about sports.

I flip back and forth when they go to commercials or when Corby goes off on some dumbass tangent
NoahAg
PatAg said:

This team is making the playoffs, and then I guess we will see what they figure out at that point. Always have a shot with Luka

/I don't believe you GIF
Let's go, Brandon!
gigem1223
Should be up by a minimum of 10 right now but THJ and Bullock can't make WIDE open shots
Carlo4
AG
That non call on Kyrie's jump shot might have been the worst blown call I've ever seen.
Carlo4
AG
Kidd not challenging the goaltending call
gigem1223
Kidd is so incompetent. No challenge in the goal tend and now no challenge on the BS call on Maxi.
MW03
AG
Whole team is scared to shoot... Except Bullock who should be
gigem1223
Role players can't make wide open shots in the 4th
MW03
AG
I don't think garden deserves star calls anymore.
PatAg
AG
MW03 said:

Whole team is scared to shoot... Except Bullock who should be
Bullock ends up shooting a good average the end of the season, the problem is he will shoot sub .200 for weeks at a time and then suddenly shoot over .400 for weeks.
I hate that
jeffdjohnson
Lose the next 5 and you have a high probability of keeping your pick with a plausible shot at jumping into the top 4. Win the next 5 and you have probably just made the 9/10 play-in game where you have to win 2 more in order to be the 8th seed (basically win 7 in a row). It just isn't realistic. I'm guessing the Mavs will keep trying when they play against Miami on Saturday. If they lose and Thunder win, it should be game over and they throw in the towel. Then hopefully it is Frank the tank Ntilikina time to close out the season.
shack009
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Lose the next 5 and you have a high probability of keeping your pick with a plausible shot at jumping into the top 4. Win the next 5 and you have probably just made the 9/10 play-in game where you have to win 2 more in order to be the 8th seed (basically win 7 in a row). It just isn't realistic. I'm guessing the Mavs will keep trying when they play against Miami on Saturday. If they lose and Thunder win, it should be game over and they throw in the towel. Then hopefully it is Frank the tank Ntilikina time to close out the season.
I was just looking at the standings and we are a half game "back" of the Jazz for better draft positioning. The problem is that the Jazz play at least a play-in team the rest of the way, so they could easily lose out.

Our other competition is the Bulls (same in the loss column, we have one more win), who at first glance appear to have a slightly more difficult remaining SOS to us. We also play each other in both team's second to last game of the season.

Our next 3 games are @MIA, @ATL, home SAC. We could easily lose all three of those, be out of the play in, and at that point we better not be trying to win against CHI in that 2nd to last game.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I've already told you, we will miss the play-in and ship the #11 pick to NY. Book it.
94chem
This team can't shoot. It's painful to watch. Kyrie should be averaging 15 APG.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
zgolfz85
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I've already told you, we will miss the play-in and ship the #11 pick to NY. Book it.
add a layer of kyrie leaving this summer too in that case
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just think of all the cap space that will create though, which this franchise has been so great at signing FAs
MW03
AG
Random ask, but does anyone have a line on 3 tickets to the Easter game against San Antonio I can buy? We're looking to take our son to the game as a reward for completing a reading challenge, and I'd rather not deal with Ticket Master if I can help it.
94chem
MW03 said:

Random ask, but does anyone have a line on 3 tickets to the Easter game against San Antonio I can buy? We're looking to take our son to the game as a reward for completing a reading challenge, and I'd rather not deal with Ticket Master if I can help it.

What was second place - 6 tickets?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
MW03
PatAg
AG
94chem said:

That's what we've said about Luka for the last 2 years too. He gets them the MOST open looks and they just brick it all
Carlo4
AG
PatAg said:

94chem said:

That's what we've said about Luka for the last 2 years too. He gets them the MOST open looks and they just brick it all

Look up how Dinwiddie and DFS are doing. Shooting percentage is WAY down without Luka. He was making them better.
shack009
AG
Carlo4 said:

PatAg said:

94chem said:

Look up how Dinwiddie and DFS are doing. Shooting percentage is WAY down without Luka. He was making them better.

Dinwiddie was on an absolute heater while he was here. Not a guy known for 3 point shooting and he was over 40% here with a lot of pull ups and step backs, not just catch and shoot.

He never was that guy and never will be that guy again. A giant reason the mavs were 36-14 or whatever it was after the trade and then making it to the conference finals.
awinlonghorn
now that the mavs aren't making the playoffs..what are examples of superstars in their prime missing the playoffs?

Hakeem in 1992?

Kobe in 2005?

Any others?
shack009
AG
awinlonghorn said:

now that the mavs aren't making the playoffs..what are examples of superstars in their prime missing the playoffs?

Hakeem in 1992?

Kobe in 2005?

Any others?

Bill Simmons said a few (maybe 4) from the past 50 years on his Sunday pod. I think just putting it that simply is a real disservice to Luka.

The roster is garbage. After Kyrie, there aren't any guys that would be getting minutes on a playoff team.
PatAg
AG
Prob plenty of players
shack009
AG
PatAg said:

Prob plenty of players

Apparently not, according to Bill Simmons, who probably knows as much about basketball history as anybody.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kareem 1975 and 1976
Garnett multiple years
LeBron 2019 (plus first two seasons)
DWade 2008
Durant 2008, 2009, 2015
Iowaggie
AG
shack009 said:

awinlonghorn said:

Hakeem in 1992?

Kobe in 2005?

Any others?

Bill Simmons said a few (maybe 4) from the past 50 years on his Sunday pod. I think just putting it that simply is a real disservice to Luka.

The roster is garbage. After Kyrie, there aren't any guys that would be getting minutes on a playoff team.

It was his best players under 30 to not make the playoffs.

I also took it as more shade thrown to the front office

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.