***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

140,764 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Take Tyler Hendricks
M.C. Swag
AG
He'll be gone. He's gonna rocket up the board like JJJ once teams get him into the gym for workouts.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Take Tyler Hendricks

Would love him or Whitmore but doubt either will be there. Which would probably leave Jarace Walker, who I could talk myself in to.
BJM1781
AG
Probably going to package this pick in a trade deal anyway. Seems like the only reason the Mavs wanted to keep it, and we need an immediate impact player.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

He'll be gone. He's gonna rocket up the board like JJJ once teams get him into the gym for workouts read Soup's draft preview.
Guitarsoup
AG
BJM1781 said:

Probably going to package this pick in a trade deal anyway. Seems like the only reason the Mavs wanted to keep it, and we need an immediate impact player.
I think a lot of teams are going to implode this summer, so not out of the question at all.
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

If the Mavs landed 1.01, would anyone else consider flipping it?
You'd have to get a package of like Jokic, Michael Porter and multiple picks.
I just don't see any world he's as good as Jokic or Giannis. I feel like he's going to be a bust…I'd flip the 1.01 for Jaylen Brown and some role players.
With the Mavs' team, you could make an argument that you trade Wemby for Brown+Smart+the Williams but I think both teams say no.

Wemby is supposed to be Durant on offense and JJJ on defense.
I just don't see it with his build…JJJ looks substantially more muscular, but who knows.

Are you comparing teenager jjj to teenager Wemby?

What about Teen Giannis?

I do think the likelihood of major injuries to Wemby is super high, but you still roll the dice on him unless someone wants to obliterate their team for him.

Giannis wasn't a lottery pick let alone a consensus all-world best player ever type draft pick…he also had a growth spurt after being drafted.

I just don't see anyway Wemby holds up.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Wemby may not hold up physically. That's always a risk. But there is no way any GM trades him for Jaylen Brown and some filler. He's by far the best prospect since lebron (and honestly he does stuff lebron can't do). Can you imagine trading the 1/1 in Lebron's year for a good player plus filler? That GM would be out of the league after making the trade if wemby works out. And if wemby has injury problems no one will blame the GM.
Guitarsoup
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Wemby may not hold up physically. That's always a risk. But there is no way any GM trades him for Jaylen Brown and some filler. He's by far the best prospect since lebron (and honestly he does stuff lebron can't do). Can you imagine trading the 1/1 in Lebron's year for a good player plus filler? That GM would be out of the league after making the trade if wemby works out. And if wemby has injury problems no one will blame the GM.

On Simmons podcast this morning, someone was saying that Wemby was the best prospect in the history of team sports.
Guitarsoup
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

I just don't see any world he's as good as Jokic or Giannis. I feel like he's going to be a bust…I'd flip the 1.01 for Jaylen Brown and some role players.
With the Mavs' team, you could make an argument that you trade Wemby for Brown+Smart+the Williams but I think both teams say no.

I just don't see it with his build…JJJ looks substantially more muscular, but who knows.

What about Teen Giannis?

I do think the likelihood of major injuries to Wemby is super high, but you still roll the dice on him unless someone wants to obliterate their team for him.

Giannis wasn't a lottery pick let alone a consensus all-world best player ever type draft pick…he also had a growth spurt after being drafted.

Giannis being not a lottery pick doesn't change the fact that he went from rail thin skinny kid to absolutely jacked monster

Spaceship
AG
Wembanyama is an active 7'-3" player….I put his odds of being chronicly injured in the NBA at 100%
Guitarsoup
AG
Mavs are expected to shop #10 to get players that indeed help
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

mavsfan4ever said:

On Simmons podcast this morning, someone was saying that Wemby was the best prospect in the history of team sports.
Lol Simmons is the ultimate prisoner of the moment.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Spaceship said:

Wembanyama is an active 7'-3" player….I put his odds of being chronicly injured in the NBA at 100%

With a leg stress fracture and back injury already in his history. The question will be just how often and how long he's out.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Mavs are expected to shop #10 to get players that indeed help
This is probably the most prudent move, yet least fun for the fans.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Lol Simmons is the ultimate prisoner of the moment.
Simmons was skeptical of it and said he doesn't see how Wemby could have been a better prospect than Lew Alcindor. It was Woj or someone that said that about Wemby.
M.C. Swag
AG
Wow shocking restraint by Bill (the guy who proclaimed Saquon Barkley the best RB in nfl history before he set foot on the field).
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

What about Teen Giannis?

Giannis being not a lottery pick doesn't change the fact that he went from rail thin skinny kid to absolutely jacked monster

Fair...looking at Giannis when he was drafted, it is remarkable how much he has filled out.

Looking at Wemby, I don't think he can do the same. It seems like Giannis and JJJ have broader shoulders than Wemby...his build looks more similar to KD than the other guys IMO.

I don't follow any non-American professional basketball, but it is my understanding that the French league he played in isn't considered to be as good as the Spanish league Luka played in...it is really interesting that Wemby is heralded as the best prospect ever, but Luka wasn't held in the same regard coming out despite having superior stats in EuroLeague play, playing in a better league, and accumulating more accolades.
zgolfz85
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

What about Teen Giannis?

Fair...looking at Giannis when he was drafted, it is remarkable how much he has filled out.

Looking at Wemby, I don't think he can do the same. It seems like Giannis and JJJ have broader shoulders than Wemby...his build looks more similar to KD than the other guys IMO.

I don't follow any non-American professional basketball, but it is my understanding that the French league he played in isn't considered to be as good as the Spanish league Luka played in...it is really interesting that Wemby is heralded as the best prospect ever, but Luka wasn't held in the same regard coming out despite having superior stats in EuroLeague play, playing in a better league, and accumulating more accolades.
spot on on Luka -- lucky for us. he was blatantly the top pick in that 2018 draft and went 5 (by way of trade out of 3 with ATL)
Zachary Klement
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Yeah, I understand that no one is making a move like that...I don't think there is any way the guy holds up, which is my line of thinking. I think you are selling Jaylen Brown short a bit; he is great.

I don't understand how anyone can consider him as good of a prospect as LeBron. LeBron was far superior athletically, IMO.
Guitarsoup
AG
Luka averaged 13/5a/6r in his last season in Spain on 46l28 shooting.

Wemby just averaged 22/10r/3b on 47/28/81 shooting.

Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I said EuroLeague, not their respective leagues, since I am assuming that is a more level comparison given a potential disparity in the level of the Spanish league and the French league.

In Luka's last season competing in the EuroLeague, he had:
16 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 4.3 APG, 1.1 STL, on 45/33/81 shooting splits

Compared to Wemby's:
6.5 PPG, 4 RPG, 2 BLK, 35/33/67 shooting splits.
Guitarsoup
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

I said EuroLeague, not their respective leagues, since I am assuming that is a more level comparison given a potential disparity in the level of the Spanish league and the French league.

Compared to Wemby's:

Wemby didn't play in Euroleague this year, so pretty awful comparison

You also didn't say Euroleague, you specifically said Spanish League.

"my understanding that the French league he played in isn't considered to be as good as the Spanish league Luka played in..."
Infection_Ag11
AG
His problem is going to be staying healthy. It's well established and understood that guys of his height and body proportions almost inevitably suffer recurrent lower body injuries that limit their careers. There's a reason people at the extreme ends of height historically died even younger than the general population. Only with modern medicine are many able to live relatively normal life expectancies now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Compared to Wemby's:

Wemby didn't play in Euroleague this year, so pretty awful comparison

You also didn't say Euroleague, you specifically said Spanish League.

"my understanding that the French league he played in isn't considered to be as good as the Spanish league Luka played in..."
Where I said Luka had superior stats, I specified in the EuroLeague.
Quote:

Luka wasn't held in the same regard coming out despite having superior stats in EuroLeague play, playing in a better league, and accumulating more accolades.
If you were to go back to Luka's 2016-17 EuroLeague stats, they are still better than Wembenyama's last appearance there.

7.8 PPG, 4.5 APG, 4.2 APG, 1 STL on 43/37/84 shooting splits.

I genuinely do not know how well the leagues compare, from what I have read online, it seems like the Spanish league is held in a higher regard. I have no idea if comparing the two leagues would be more akin to comparing the SEC and the B1G or comparing FBS to FCS or if there is no real disparity at all.
South Platte
I love how since the D-bags down Interstate 35 won the lottery we immediately rush to talking about potential chronic injuries to the kid. Admittedly, that's what I was thinking after hearing the talking heads gush on him. The stick from Gonzaga got hurt immediately. I have no idea how Durant has held up for so long.

Looking back at the past 5 drafts, there have been some really strong players drafted around 10, most of which contributed immediately to their team. If we trade this pick, unless we get a stud, it's a white flag move by our franchise confirming we have no idea how to evaluate talent in the draft.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Wemby's camp need to steal everyone who has helped KD stay as health as he has. I know Wemby is a full 5" taller (which is insane) but they are built fairly similar.
Guitarsoup
AG
It's pretty clear you are happy to be disingenuous in your comparisons as long as it supports your preconceived notions.

You are comparing a handful of games (he only played 13 games that year in Euroleague) the year he turned 17 over the more recent and volumnous data we have.

If you want to run with the fact that he is a health risk, I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that. But intentionally setting up a bad comparison just because it benefits your argument is embarrassing
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

The stick from Gonzaga got hurt immediately
Since the europeans don't make their guys pretend to care about school, W's probably gotten better training.
zgolfz85
AG
I actually think Wemby will hold up pretty well. I think for most that come into the league at his size, it's not just the size, but also the disconnected athleticism that hampers them. That's the reason I believe KD has stayed mostly healthy. Clearly Wemby also has dynamic athleticism that's very rare for that size (aka his arms and hands and legs and feet all move in unison as if he was much shorter and for most guys that size, they move like a puppy that hasn't grown into their feet yet).

Having said that, I think he'll inevitably have more injuries than players under 7 feet and will likely have to deal with stress fractures for a portion of his career, but I don't think he'll be an injury bust at all.
South Platte
I don't spend much time on this board, but wait . . . you're a Spurs fan? I feel . . . betrayed . . . I thought we were friends

Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

I actually think Wemby will hold up pretty well. I think for most that come into the league at his size, it's not just the size, but also the disconnected athleticism that hampers them. That's the reason I believe KD has stayed mostly healthy. Clearly Wemby also has dynamic athleticism that's very rare for that size (aka his arms and hands and legs and feet all move in unison as if he was much shorter and for most guys that size, they move like a puppy that hasn't grown into their feet yet).

Having said that, I think he'll inevitably have more injuries than players under 7 feet and will likely have to deal with stress fractures for a portion of his career, but I don't think he'll be an injury bust at all.

Maybe. We certainly know a lot more about sports physiology. Then we did win. Ralph Sampson was in the league. And popovich and the Spurs are well known for not running their players hard or long minutes to keep them healthy.

But you have to be extremely worried about anyone his height that's had lower back muscle issues and stress fracture in their lower leg. The only hope is that those injuries were because of the ridiculous growth spurts he must have been having as a teenager to become 7 ft. 4 at 18 years old
Guitarsoup
AG
South Platte said:

I don't spend much time on this board, but wait . . . you're a Spurs fan? I feel . . . betrayed . . . I thought we were friends

I want the mavs to be good and keep Luka and have a ton of great games and series like we did with Duncan and Dirk
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

Maybe. We certainly know a lot more about sports physiology. Then we did win. Ralph Sampson was in the league. And popovich and the Spurs are well known for not running their players hard or long minutes to keep them healthy.

But you have to be extremely worried about anyone his height that's had lower back muscle issues and stress fracture in their lower leg. The only hope is that those injuries were because of the ridiculous growth spurts he must have been having as a teenager to become 7 ft. 4 at 18 years old

Agreed. I think part of it too with dudes that height is because they just have so much more real estate in their arms and legs and a lot more body to get caught up and tangled in collisions, etc
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

It's pretty clear you are happy to be disingenuous in your comparisons as long as it supports your preconceived notions.

You are comparing a handful of games (he only played 13 games that year in Euroleague) the year he turned 17 over the more recent and volumnous data we have.

If you want to run with the fact that he is a health risk, I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that. But intentionally setting up a bad comparison just because it benefits your argument is embarrassing
Lmao, I'm not trying to be disingenuous with anything, and I don't get why you are picking at the Luka comp...my only point there was that it is interesting to me Luka was drafted fifth overall and considered to be a question mark by many whereas Wemby is mentioned as a LeBron type prospect.

I literally said I don't know how well the leagues compare...Wembenyama's stats in the French league were better than Luka's stats in his last year in the Spanish league. I have no idea what that data is worth. Maybe the leagues are so level that it makes sense to compare stats from the two. I genuinely do not know.

Luka was 16-17 in the most recent EuroLeague stats that I posted...just like Wembenyama. I used the EuroLeague stats because that is the only one-to-one comparison I can make.

It just seems like you are in the mood to pick a fight or argue because nothing about my comparison to Luka was intended to be a discredit to Wembenyama's prospect...just making the point that it is interesting to me that he is a lock in the minds of everyone who talks about the NBA and Luka was not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.