***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

143,712 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Carlisle is probably a top 5 coach of the last twenty years so hard to step up from that. Kidd was never going to be that, but I think the hope was that he would do great in developing and game planning around Luka being a HOF big PG.
Iowaggie
AG
zgolfz85
AG
Can we just rip the bandaid off and skip to the part where we don't even make the play-in?
shack009
AG
Lol don't care about the playoffs at all. I will be actively rooting against this team to see if we can sneak back in to the draft this year.
J.P. 03
AG
The pick is top-10 protected, right? Pretty sure that means we'll miss the playoffs and get assigned pick #11.
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Can we just rip the bandaid off and skip to the part where we don't even make the play-in?
OKC and Utah just lost, to drop them out of the playin and bring up the Lakers and Pellies.

Paul George has a sprained knee and won't be reevaluated for 2-3 weeks. LeBron and Davis are currently out for the Lakers, Durant out for the Suns, Wiggins out for GSW, and Anthony Edwards is out for Minnesota. Such a ****show.

I think the playoffs should shake up:

1. Denver
2. Memphis
3. Sacramento
4. Phoenix
5. Warriors
6. Dallas
7. New Orleans
8. Lakers
9. Clippers
10. OKC
-----------
11. Minn
12. Utah
13. Portland
14. SA
15. Houston
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

zgolfz85 said:

OKC and Utah just lost, to drop them out of the playin and bring up the Lakers and Pellies.

Paul George has a sprained knee and won't be reevaluated for 2-3 weeks. LeBron and Davis are currently out for the Lakers, Durant out for the Suns, Wiggins out for GSW, and Anthony Edwards is out for Minnesota. Such a ****show.

I think the playoffs should shake up:

1. Denver
2. Memphis
3. Sacramento
4. Phoenix
5. Warriors
6. Dallas
7. New Orleans
8. Lakers
9. Clippers
10. OKC
-----------
11. Minn
12. Utah
13. Portland
14. SA
15. Houston

I'd have agreed with you until watching our last 2 games. I know it's overreacting, but this team is broken.
I could see us losing every single game from here on out. It obviously won't happen, but would not at all shock me if it did. We are that bad.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The Mavs are 14.5 point favorites tonight.
zgolfz85
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The Mavs are 14.5 point favorites tonight.

Ha yep I'll be taking the Hornets +14.5 there
Guitarsoup
AG
Meh. Lost by two buckets to the #2 team in Memphis who is 7-3 over the last ten, despite losing Ja. Lost by 1 bucket to GSW without your #2 star. Bertans put up a 4 Trillion, which is special.

You have the tanking Hornets tonight and again Sunday.

Then on Monday, the 33-40 Pacers, and Halliburton is injured (may be back by then, but being out of the playoffs, shouldn't push it.) Indy has lost 3 of the last 5 including to the league worst Detroit Pistons.

Then on Wednesday, Philly. Could be tough, but McDaniels, Embiid, and Harden are all listed as day-to-day. Philly has been pretty hot, though.

Then Miami. Butler has been playing well the last ten games or so but Lowry is banged up.

Then Atlanta. They haven't been playing well and DeJounte Murray has been ice cold (42/25 shooting in March)

Then close out the season with Sacramento, Chicago, and San Antonio. Spurs should be an easy win as they rest everyone for the off-season. Chicago is on the edge of missing the playoffs and has injuries to Ball, Caruso, and DeRozan. If they have been eliminated from the playoffs by the 2nd to last game, they may have nothing to play for.

Sacramento is 2 games back from 2nd seed and 5 games op on 4th seed. Their position may be locked in by then.

I think if Dallas can use these next two games against tanking Charlotte to get their **** together, they can go on a nice run to close out the season. Other than the Philly/Miami games, that is a pretty favorable schedule, especially since you may have 5-7 games against teams that are eliminated from the playoffs or locked into their playoff spot.
shack009
AG
They're 7-3 in their last 10 because they have played the Mavs 3 times.
shack009
AG
Down 14 to Charlotte at half. The plan is working.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This team. W T F

gigem1223
No way Kidd survives this. Embarrassing
zgolfz85
AG
I don't even know what to say
DannyDuberstein
AG
What are the odds of Kyrie deciding to return to this **** show?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Kidd should get fired tonight. I feel like I've said this 17 times this season.
zgolfz85
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cuban should have a drawing and let a different fan coach the team each game the rest of the season.
Guitarsoup
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Cuban should have a drawing and let a different fan coach the team each game the rest of the season.
Maybe NBA 2k23 tournament and the top 4 finishers are the new coaching staff.
Guitarsoup
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

What are the odds of Kyrie deciding to return to this **** show?
Since Kyrie is insane, who knows what he thinks.

Wood has awful on/off numbers, but is offensively productive. He has to hate the limited minutes in a contract year. But Houston dumped him for six gummy bears and a TicTac for a reason.

And Powell is a FA.

With the awful contracts to Hardaway and Bertans, you have to go into luxury tax to keep all three. There's about 53mm in room before luxury tax, with just 8 roster players (Luka, THJ, Bertans, Maxi, Bullock, McGee, Green, Hardy) but Bullock can be cut to save half of his 10mm contract.

Also, the Mavs' first rounder goes to the Knicks if it isn't top 10.

I honestly don't know how you fix this team. I still think the Kyrie trade was the right one to make. One of the best scorers in the league is still more valuable than Dinwiddie+DFS.
shack009
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Frank played 22 minutes tonight after 0 minutes against GS. Does Kidd have a thought process for playing time?

Frank should never play more than Hardy, even if this wasn't a good Hardy game.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Frank played 22 minutes tonight after 0 minutes against GS. Does Kidd have a thought process for playing time?

Frank should never play more than Hardy, even if this wasn't a good Hardy game.

I don't think he has any idea what he's doing. There's been zero consistency on lineups since the trade and many times even before
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. Everything about it screams "throwing **** against the wall and seeing what sticks"

Nothing is sticking
jeffdjohnson
They had a chance to start semi-tanking prior to the trade deadline. They chose not to. At this point a blatant, hard tank to finish 1-7 would probably get them the number 9 pick. This is the only way to salvage whatever the hell they are doing. It is magical thinking at this point to assume they will figure something out. I'm afraid Utah is already one step ahead on this. So out tanking Chicago might just be good enough to get into the 10th spot. Even then, it would only take one team above them jumping in the lottery to push them down to 11th. I guess we'll see how they land at the end of the season, but I think last nights game is the last one I could stomach to watch this season, and I couldn't even make it until halftime.
zgolfz85
AG
zgolfz85
AG
^ anybody have any idea what he's referring to?
94chem
Kyrie say booing fans are welcome to trade places. I mean, I suppose Kyrie probably does have a nicer sofa than most of the fans...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
PatAg
AG
94chem said:

Kyrie say booing fans are welcome to trade places. I mean, I suppose Kyrie probably does have a nicer sofa than most of the fans...
Give me his salary and Im down
zgolfz85
AG
PatAg said:

94chem said:

Give me his salary and Im down

Yeah no ****, that's what I was thinking too…plus the chicks, cars, shoe deals, free **** etc
94chem
zgolfz85 said:

The forced conversion to flat-earther by Uncle Drew?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Guitarsoup
AG
Want to get Mavs perspective on this. If Luka *****es out like Kawhi and demands a trade, would the Mavs do this:

Mavs Receive:

Wing - Keldon Johnson 23yo, 4y74mm contract, was on Olympic team, 22/5/3 player this year
Stretch 4 - Doug McDermott 31yo, 10ppg, 43% from three, 1y13.75mm contract
Wing - Malicki Branham - 19yo. Rookie. 3mm/year, rookie contract (team options after 2024)
Combo guard - Blake Wesley 19yo. Rookie. 2.5mm/year. Rookie contract (team options after 2024)
Point - Devonte Graham- 28yo. 1y12.1mm contract, averaging 14/4 in 27mpg for Spurs since traded.
2024 Toronto FRP
2024 Charlotte FRP
2025 Chicago FRP
2025 Spurs pick top 1 protected
2027 Spurs pick top 1 protected
2029 Spurs pick top 1 protected
2031 Spurs pick top 1 protected

So 7 first round picks, a 22ppg wing that is 23yo, two teenagers that were FRPs this year and everyone but Keldon can be cut without penalty after next year if desired.

Spurs Receive:

Luka
Tim Hardaway 31yo (2y34mm left)
Davis Bertans 30yo (2y33mm left)
Maxi Kleber 32yo (3y33mm left)

Mavs open up 60 million in cap space this summer and have Doug, Graham and Reggie Bullock fall off next year for another 35mm. Mavs rebuild with seven additional draft picks, Keldon (23yo and reasonable 4y74mm contract), Hardy, Green and Braham or Wesley if they are any good. Powell, Christian Wood, and Kyie are obviously free agents.

For reference, the Durant trade was CamJohnson (14ppg stretch 4, ending contract), Bridges (better wing than Keldon, paid more than Keldon, too), 4 first round picks, 1 pick swap. Anthony Davis was Lonzo, Hart, Ingram plus 4 firsts. Harden to Brooklyn was 4 firsts and 4 swaps. Paul George to LAC was 5 firsts, SGA and Galli.

Mavs team:
  • C JaVale McGee (2y11.7mm left)
  • Stretch 4 Doug McD (1y13.75mm)
  • Wing Reggie Bullock (1y10.5mm, half guaranteed)
  • Wing Keldon (4y74mm left)
  • Wing Jaden Hardy 1.7mm/year - rookie deal
  • Wing Josh Green 4.8mm - rookie deal
  • Wing Branham - 3mm - rookie deal
  • Point Wesley 2.5mm - rookie deal
  • Point Graham 1y12.1 - second year only 2mm guaranteed

$74mm guaranteed on 134mm cap, free agents Wood, Kyrie, Powell.

Mavs Draft assets:
2023 first round pick (if top 10, if not top ten, it goes to NYK)

2024 Mavs FRP
2024 Raptors FRP
2024 Hornets FRP

2025 Mavs FRP
2025 Spurs FRP
2025 Chicago FRP

2026 Mavs FRP

2027 Mavs FRP
2027 Spurs FRP

2028 Mavs FRP
2029 Spurs FRP
2030 Mavs FRP
2031 Mavs FRP
2031 Spurs FRP

So Dallas would have three firsts the next two seasons, plus the Spurs pick in 27/29/31.
M.C. Swag
AG
No offense but not really interested in entertaining this discussion. Luka is on yr 1 of his deal.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Is that a binding offer?

We can't build around Luka obviously. Might as well cash in as much as possible.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Is that a binding offer?

We can't build around Luka obviously. Might as well cash in as much as possible.
Dallas is in a tough position with Kyrie/Wood as free agents - the only two guys averaging over 15ppg with Luka.

With Luka making 40mm/year and 46mm/year going to Hardaway/Bertans/Maxi for the next two seasons after this one, making room for additional stars is difficult if not impossible. I thought Luka/Kyrie would work well. Maybe with someone better than Kidd. But giving Kyrie a big long-term contract is scary AF.

Seven additional first round picks, plus all bad contracts wiped clean, max cap space right now, and five promising players on good contracts 23 and younger in Green, Hardy, Keldon, Branham, and Wesley. Plus three firsts in each of the next two drafts would be attractive for a rebuild. Only way to make it better would be a better player to build around than Keldon. Plus Dallas could likely S&T Kyrie/Wood to a team for additional draft assets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.