Trump indicted over classified documents

214,390 Views | 3469 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by aggiehawg
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting. I don't know what their work orders look like.

I have a colleague that clerked for a S.D. Tex. judge who was notorious for pushing AUSAs any way possible to not bring criminal cases in his division.
2040huck
aggiehawg said:

ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

So I just found out that Judge Cannon was randomly picked off of the wheel. Hilarious.
There are apparently 7 federal district court judges in the Southern District. But as a practical matter, only two of those 7 get assigned criminal cases. So it was basically a 50/50 chance she would get the case.
6 of the 7 get criminal cases Where did you get your info?
aggiehawg
AG
2040huck said:

aggiehawg said:

So I just found out that Judge Cannon was randomly picked off of the wheel. Hilarious.
There are apparently 7 federal district court judges in the Southern District. But as a practical matter, only two of those 7 get assigned criminal cases. So it was basically a 50/50 chance she would get the case.
Where else? From another lawyer.
jrdaustin
AG
Im Gipper said:

It is Iran.

Here is news story:

https://www.businessinsider.com/milley-warned-trump-on-iran-strikes-youre-gonna-have-a-f-ing-war-2021-7
Thanks for the link.

Iran is definitely makes sense as well. Though it now brings up the specifics of the document itself. If it was time sensitive based upon current events at the time, the plan might already be obsolete - as would be the justification for keeping the doc classified.

It's not like no one knew that DOD draws up attack plans or that we were at odds with Iran.

I laugh at the thought that we'd want to keep Iran attack plans handy in the event Biden wanted to move against them. Hell, he wants to help them finish their nuke program!!
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Exactly! Which is why your earlier argument completely discounting the PRA is circular reasoning that ultimately collapes on itself. Remember, prior to 1978, it didn't matter whether the documents were classified or not. They belonged to the former POTUS.

You're making the argument that Trump should have known what was in every box prior to them arriving at MAL. That in 14 days he get 100% right what was personal and what was Presidential. A standard that was not held to any prior President, VP, or Secretary of State before the MAL raid.

Again, I'm not arguing what Trump did might not have been stupid. I'm arguing it wasn't criminal.
The 31 documents relevant to this indictment would not have been Trump's documents to do whatever he wanted with prior to 1978. Either way, Trump was also still a reasonably young man in 1978. I do not know what point you're trying to make.

When you take stuff from the White House, you probably should be expected to know what you're taking. The fact that Trump appears to be a hoarder is not a defense, unless he's going to plead insanity. These are more red herrings. Trump had nearly 18 months to figure out what were in his boxes before the raid. And this indictment centers around the fact that the Trump team certified they had done a diligent search. They either did not actually perform a diligent search, or they did and withheld that they found these 31 documents.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
2040huck said:

aggiehawg said:

also, there are 15 district judges in S.D. Fla. Plus senior judges and 3 vacant seats.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
The indictment of former President Donald Trump over classified documents is another witch hunt by the Democrats. This catastrophic weaponization of our courts for political grievances is despicable.
fka ftc
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Exactly! Which is why your earlier argument completely discounting the PRA is circular reasoning that ultimately collapes on itself. Remember, prior to 1978, it didn't matter whether the documents were classified or not. They belonged to the former POTUS.

You're making the argument that Trump should have known what was in every box prior to them arriving at MAL. That in 14 days he get 100% right what was personal and what was Presidential. A standard that was not held to any prior President, VP, or Secretary of State before the MAL raid.

Again, I'm not arguing what Trump did might not have been stupid. I'm arguing it wasn't criminal.
The 31 documents relevant to this indictment would not have been Trump's documents to do whatever he wanted with prior to 1978. Either way, Trump was also still a reasonably young man in 1978. I do not know what point you're trying to make.

When you take stuff from the White House, you probably should be expected to know what you're taking. The fact that Trump appears to be a hoarder is not a defense, unless he's going to plead insanity. These are more red herrings. Trump had nearly 18 months to figure out what were in his boxes before the raid. And this indictment centers around the fact that the Trump team certified they had done a diligent search. They either did not actually perform a diligent search, or they did and withheld that they found these 31 documents.
Pretty sure Trump did not pack these boxes himself, carry them onto Marine One, loaded into AF1, then stuffed into the trunk on his final ride in The Beast to M-A-L where he stuffed them wherever he had room.

Why Biden packed up files they knew to be classified and shipped them to M-A-L knowing they had also not provided Trump with any security clearances post-Presidency and knowing M-A-L no longer had a designated SCIF.

Why are you not holding Biden accountable for this continued mishandling of classified documents?
2040huck

2040huck said:

aggiehawg said:

also, there are 15 district judges in S.D. Fla. Plus senior judges and 3 vacant seats.
Yeah, I thought there were over 20. But some don't travel
aggiehawg
AG
DOD keeps and updates attack plans for any number of countries all of the time. The Hubs' bestie was assigned ot the War College before he retired from the Army a few years ago. He worked on some of them.

Which is why Rumsfeld was shocked when DOD did not have an updated plan after 9/11, in light of the other attacks during the Clinton administration and they knew Bin Laden was in Afghanistan.
TXAggie2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

There are 7 non-senior district judges in the Fort Lauderdale, Fort Pierce, and and West Palm Beach duty stations, which are the only three to which this case would be assigned.

There are 15 non-senior district judges in the Southern District and another 10 or so senior judges.

Apparently, according to a national security podcast I listen to, the senior judges have already his their quotas on criminal case assignments for the year and thus were not an option
fka ftc
I think Smith and Team Biden "gambled" on getting Cannon. They wanted her. Would not surprise me at all if the random selection was not random at all.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
That makes more sense.

The federal practice area I work in has extremely permissive venue rules.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Apparently, according to a national security podcast I listen to, the senior judges have already his their quotas on criminal case assignments for the year and thus were not an option
Guess I missed that part just heard that she would be expected to get roughy half of the new crim cases. The reason why that was I didn't hear. But it was by random wheel.
jrdaustin
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

And here we go full circle again.

When you take stuff from the White House, you probably should be expected to know what you're taking. The fact that Trump appears to be a hoarder is not a defense...

And unless your last name is spelled T.R.U.M.P., it's also not a crime. See Pence, Biden, et. al.

Regardless of what kind of spin you put on this, there's no getting around the fact that Trump has been targeted in an unprecedented use of a Federal Statute to criminalize what at best was an administrative dispute. You can't tell me that no other leaving POTUS had Presidential documents comingled with personal docs. And you also will have an extremely hard time convincing at least half the country that DOJ crossing this rubicon of targeting a prior POTUS is doing much more harm to this country than Trump squabbling with NARA over some papers.

Unless, of course, you believe Trump's intention was to sell them to the highest bidder. And if so, I would respectfully ask you to plead your case.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

Bet those same slimeballs try to revoke his passport.
It's often the case that you can't leave the country if you have impending court hearings for a felony or federal crime.

Does the DOJ try to revoke the man's passport or impose travel or other restrictions for the duration of this case?
GeorgiAg
AG
Ignoring a subpoena and lying to your lawyer so they sign a fraudulent certification is not an "administrative dispute"
nortex97
AG
Good info, thx. I am trying not to follow this topic as it is too infuriating but hoping for the best outcome/not a banana republic trial that takes years.
fka ftc
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Quote:

It's often the case that you can't leave the country if you have impending court hearings for a felony or federal crime.

Does the DOJ try to revoke the man's passport or impose travel or other restrictions for the duration of this case?
Oh I understand it would not be out of the question to restrict travel and such, but I could see Biden being scrupulous enough bait him to leave and revoke his passport whilst abroad, causing him all sorts of issues.

They are playing for keeps and willing to weaponize every single agency from dog catcher NARA all the way to Merrick "I am so pissed off I am not a SCOTUS Justice" Garland.
jrdaustin
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Ignoring a subpoena and lying to your lawyer so they sign a fraudulent certification is not an "administrative dispute"
Dang, you're right. You got me.

I guess he should have just ignored the subpoena and destroyed the records, right?
will25u
TXAggie2011
AG
If the Trump team hadn't spent months actively trying to convince the government they didn't have these documents, then I don't think we see this indictment. Trump's choice to be belligerent for the sake of belligerence caught up to him.

And I know you choose to not believe that and I know there is nothing I can say to make you believe that.
samurai_science
TXAggie2011 said:

If the Trump team hadn't spent months actively trying to convince the government they didn't have these documents, then I don't think we see this indictment. Trump's choice to be belligerent for the sake of belligerence caught up to him.

And I know you choose to not believe that and I know there is nothing I can say to make you believe that.
Belief has nothing to do with it, everything you said is speculation and opinion.
jrdaustin
AG
Agreed. I stipulate that Trump has been an ass.

But I also believe that the driving factor was not him being an ass. He just gave them the opportunity to enforce the targeted hit they've been wanting to execute on him for years.

In the end, this does nothing to help DOJ's credibility moving forward when it comes to law enforcement, and that hurts us all.

On that, I hope we can all agree.
TXAggie2011
AG
jrdaustin said:

TXAggie2011 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Treatment would have been equal if DT had just returned the docs when requested or even when subpoenaed, IMO.

Two wrongs don't make a right seems to be pertinent as well.
Not a chance in hell. And here's why.

The August 2022 search of MAL was very very broad and not confined to classified documents. No detailed return of what was seized was done. Trump's lawyers were not allowed to observe the search. The FBI took a ton of stuff that was not related to his time as President. Then when Trump sued to have a Special Master appointed to separate out his personal information, his attorney client communications, etc, DOJ fought that.

Why? If all they were after were properly deemed Presidential Records, whether classified or not, why object to a procedure to specifically do that?
For one, the DOJ fought it (Trump's lawsuit) because Judge Cannon should have dismissed it out of hand when her law clerk first set the pleading on her desk. Trump voluntarily sued the DOJ. There is no reason, when the DOJ has been sued, that the DOJ should be expected to sit back as a judge butchers the law multiple times.
Ahh, and here's why you assert that the PRA wouldn't apply. Then you couldn't selectively pick what law is being "butchered".

Quite revealing. Thanks.
What I have said in this thread about the PRA is that it is not really relevant at this point as my opinion is there is no colorable argument that the 31 documents in this indictment are personal records.

And thanks to Trump's crack legal team, the 11th Circuit put that on paper last fall.
Stat Monitor Repairman
fka ftc said:

Quote:

Oh I understand it would not be out of the question to restrict travel and such, but I could see Biden being scrupulous enough bait him to leave and revoke his passport whilst abroad, causing him all sorts of issues.

They are playing for keeps and willing to weaponize every single agency from dog catcher NARA all the way to Merrick "I am so pissed off I am not a SCOTUS Justice" Garland.
For sure. This is unprecedented. The way things going I can see a situation where Trump isn't allowed to leave, and if he does leave isn't allowed back in. If you leave the country the burden is on you to prove that you should be re-admitted to the US. So anything is possible. Who knows what we are about to see. Anything could happen.
fka ftc
samurai_science said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Belief has nothing to do with it, everything you said is speculation and opinion.
This is the case for most all of us. But it seems those on one side of this argument say these things and ignore the concepts of precedent, concept of equal / blind justice, concept of a defense, concept of the PRA, the original intent of the Espionage Act, and all other information no supportive of their hate and disdain for Trump.

They worship the likes of Eric Holder, Merrick Garland and show they are bipartisan by including Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan and Andy McCarthy in their glorification.
the_batman26
AG
He should've gone to Harvard or Yale or some Ivy. They seem to protect their own. I guess they give you a pass to enter Iraq looking for WMDs.
Retired FBI Agent
jrdausti said:

Up until Jan 6th, I think Trump believed that the election was fraudulent and that his presidency would continue. If that's the case, then the WH had 14 days to prepare to vacate. Basically, just enough time to throw everything into boxes and sort it out later.
Perhaps part of Trump believed so, but his own lawyers and inner-circle have stated Trump knew otherwise (claims of fraud).

But regardless, Trump indeed then had until May 2021, 106 days later, to "sort it out" before the National Archives first requests he turn over any presidential records he may have kept upon leaving WH.

The National Archives again requests Trump return missing records through Dec 2021, 345 days after leaving office.

And according to the indictment, we know boxes are moved several times between May and Dec 2021 within MAR. So they are sorting things out, let's say.

Trump and team do turnover the 15 boxes to the National Archives in Jan 2022, one year since leaving office and ~256 days since the National Archives' first request.

The Trump presidency ends and not until 385 days have past does the National Archives finally call up DOJ in Feb 2022, over a year later.
aggiehawg said:

And they asked for additional locks to be placed on the storage locations there, which Trump did. He was cooperating, negotiating with them, even returning 15 boxes.
Cooperating? That seems like a stretch given the timeline above before anything is handed over. But yes, he returns 15 boxes one year later. And one month after that, in Feb 2022, the National Archives pings DOJ because of what they see in those 15 boxes. But even if you consider that as "cooperation", leading up to the 15 boxes being returned ...

... ta dah! In June 2022, Trump lawyer hands over (at MAR) 38 classified documents to DOJ/FBI five months after handing over the 15 initial boxes (now 500 days since leaving office). And then again in August 2022, ta dah!, during the MAL raid, 102 additional classified documents are found. That is what the charges focus on, the possession yes, but the retaining of possession after being asked over and over and creating opportunities to hand those over ... for 565 days leading up to the raid.

March 30, 2022
FBI opens its investigation

April 12, 2022
Trump team is informed that National Archives, via request of DOJ, will be handing over the 15 boxes to FBI. Trump team asks for "extension", until April 29, 2022.

April 29, 2022
DOJ asks Trump's lawyers for immediate access to the 15 boxes. Trump's lawyers again ask for extension. By now, 465 days have past since Trump left office.

May 10, 2022
National Archives informs Trump's lawyers that it will provide the FBI access to the boxes as soon as 5/12.

May 11, 2022
A grand jury issues a subpoena to Trump and his office requiring that they turn over all classified materials in their possession. 371 days have past since the National Archives first requested all documents and Trump has been out of office for 476 days.

May 23, 2022
Trump's lawyers advise him to comply with the subpoena, but Trump (allegedly) balks, telling them, "I don't want anybody looking through my boxes."

June 2, 2022
A Trump's lawyer returns to Mar-a-Lago to search boxes in the storage room and finds 38 additional classified documents. After the search, Trump (allegedly) asks: "Did you find anything? ... Is it bad? Good?".

June 3, 2022 - 500 days since leaving office
FBI agents and a DOJ lawyer visit Mar-a-Lago to collect the 38 classified documents from Trump's lawyer. Another Trump lawyer, acting as his custodian of records, provides investigators a sworn certification that prosecutors say falsely claimed they had conducted a "diligent search" of boxes moved from the White House and "any and all responsive documents" were turned over.

June 8, 2022
DOJ sends Trump's lawyer a letter asking that the storage room be secured, and that "all of the boxes that were moved from the White House to Mar-a-Lago (along with any other items in that room) be preserved in that room in their current condition until farther notice."

July 2022
The grand jury is shown surveillance video of boxes being moved at Mar-a-Lago.

August 5, 2022
DOJ applies for a warrant to search Mar-a-Lago, citing "probable cause" that additional presidential records and classified documents were being stored there. Warrant approved same day.

August 8, 2022
FBI searches searches Mar-a-Lago, seizing 102 classified documents 75 in the storage room and 27 in Trump's office, including three found in office desks. 460 days have past since the National Archives first requested all documents, 566 days since leaving office.

DOJ says in a subsequent court filing that the results call "into serious question" earlier representations by Trump's legal team that they had conducted a "diligent search" and that no classified documents remained.
https://tips.fbi.gov/
1-800-225-5324
fka ftc
He did recently travel to Scotland I just read.

From tax returns, to Bergdorf old lady lingerie, to bookkeeping disputes, it is evident the left will absolutely stop at nothing to harass this man.
Stat Monitor Repairman
All you people arguing the law and the facts got to remember one thing.

It took the release of a biological weapon to keep Trump from cruising to re-election.

We've now seen all three branches of government weaponized against Trump, plus the media and deep state.

So we day-by-day on this in an unprecedented situation where no legal or technical argument may matter. Any theory is as good as any other theory. Absolutely anything could happen here.
Bryanisbest
AG

It took the release of a biological weapon to keep Trump from cruising to re-election.

We've now seen all three branches of government weaponized against Trump, plus the media and deep state.

So we day-by-day on this in an unprecedented situation where no legal or technical argument may matter. Any theory is as good as any other theory. Absolutely anything could happen here.

Yep. Wonder what they would have done to Hillary had she been elected and had done the same thing? Oh, wait . . .
jrdaustin
AG
Retired FBI Agent said:

jrdausti said:

Up until Jan 6th, I think Trump believed that the election was fraudulent and that his presidency would continue. If that's the case, then the WH had 14 days to prepare to vacate. Basically, just enough time to throw everything into boxes and sort it out later.
Perhaps part of Trump believed so, but his own lawyers and inner-circle have stated Trump knew otherwise (claims of fraud).

But regardless, Trump indeed then had until May 2021, 106 days later, to "sort it out" before the National Archives first requests he turn over any presidential records he may have kept upon leaving WH.

The National Archives again requests Trump return missing records through Dec 2021, 345 days after leaving office.

And according to the indictment, we know boxes are moved several times between May and Dec 2021 within MAR. So they are sorting things out, let's say.

Trump and team do turnover the 15 boxes to the National Archives in Jan 2022, one year since leaving office and ~256 days since the National Archives' first request.

The Trump presidency ends and not until 385 days have past does the National Archives finally call up DOJ in Feb 2022, over a year later.
aggiehawg said:

And they asked for additional locks to be placed on the storage locations there, which Trump did. He was cooperating, negotiating with them, even returning 15 boxes.
Cooperating? That seems like a stretch given the timeline above before anything is handed over. But yes, he returns 15 boxes one year later. And one month after that, in Feb 2022, the National Archives pings DOJ because of what they see in those 15 boxes. But even if you consider that as "cooperation", leading up to the 15 boxes being returned ...

... ta dah! In June 2022, Trump lawyer hands over (at MAR) 38 classified documents to DOJ/FBI five months after handing over the 15 initial boxes (now 500 days since leaving office). And then again in August 2022, ta dah!, during the MAL raid, 102 additional classified documents are found. That is what the charges focus on, the possession yes, but the retaining of possession after being asked over and over and creating opportunities to hand those over ... for 565 days leading up to the raid.

March 30, 2022
FBI opens its investigation

April 12, 2022
Trump team is informed that National Archives, via request of DOJ, will be handing over the 15 boxes to FBI. Trump team asks for "extension", until April 29, 2022.

April 29, 2022
DOJ asks Trump's lawyers for immediate access to the 15 boxes. Trump's lawyers again ask for extension. By now, 465 days have past since Trump left office.

May 10, 2022
National Archives informs Trump's lawyers that it will provide the FBI access to the boxes as soon as 5/12.

May 11, 2022
A grand jury issues a subpoena to Trump and his office requiring that they turn over all classified materials in their possession. 371 days have past since the National Archives first requested all documents and Trump has been out of office for 476 days.

May 23, 2022
Trump's lawyers advise him to comply with the subpoena, but Trump (allegedly) balks, telling them, "I don't want anybody looking through my boxes."

June 2, 2022
A Trump's lawyer returns to Mar-a-Lago to search boxes in the storage room and finds 38 additional classified documents. After the search, Trump (allegedly) asks: "Did you find anything? ... Is it bad? Good?".

June 3, 2022 - 500 days since leaving office
FBI agents and a DOJ lawyer visit Mar-a-Lago to collect the 38 classified documents from Trump's lawyer. Another Trump lawyer, acting as his custodian of records, provides investigators a sworn certification that prosecutors say falsely claimed they had conducted a "diligent search" of boxes moved from the White House and "any and all responsive documents" were turned over.

June 8, 2022
DOJ sends Trump's lawyer a letter asking that the storage room be secured, and that "all of the boxes that were moved from the White House to Mar-a-Lago (along with any other items in that room) be preserved in that room in their current condition until farther notice."

July 2022
The grand jury is shown surveillance video of boxes being moved at Mar-a-Lago.

August 5, 2022
DOJ applies for a warrant to search Mar-a-Lago, citing "probable cause" that additional presidential records and classified documents were being stored there. Warrant approved same day.

August 8, 2022
FBI searches searches Mar-a-Lago, seizing 102 classified documents 75 in the storage room and 27 in Trump's office, including three found in office desks. 460 days have past since the National Archives first requested all documents, 566 days since leaving office.

DOJ says in a subsequent court filing that the results call "into serious question" earlier representations by Trump's legal team that they had conducted a "diligent search" and that no classified documents remained.

Well written timeline.

But I must say that knowing some of the additional background behind this case, as well as seeing testimony of people like Steven D'Antuono who had serious reservations about how this whole thing went down, it is apparent to me that DOJ and FBI bypassed multiple alternative avenues to resolve this issue - as they have recently done in similar situations - unnecessarily taking the above series of actions which in hindsight would make J Edgar Hoover envious.

To the extent that the timeline can be construed as damning to Trump, I believe it is an equally indicative indictment of the true motiviations of the upper levels of FBI & DOJ.
Charpie
AG

You really believe that everyone around the world was in cahoots and released COVID to keep him from him from being re-elected?
Pookers
AG
Charpie said:

You really believe that everyone around the world was in cahoots and released COVID to keep him from him from being re-elected?
That was one benefit. Another was getting people to participate in a medical experiment, as well as to forfeit their freedom.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.