Jake Oliver

20,555 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bone6
craigmugs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With 4.8 speed, he's great in high school, good in college, bad in the nfl!
czar_iv
AG
everyone thought Roy Williams of tu was fast in college, but when he got to the NFL, he was slow. He was in the 4.7 to 4.8 range. Oliver might be good, but he won't be 'A&M' good though.
Vince Youngs Wonderlic
Roy Williams ran a 4.37 & 4.42 at the NFL Combine.

[This message has been edited by Vince Youngs Wonderlic (edited 11/26/2012 1:15p).]
Vince Youngs Wonderlic
I'm not going to dump all over the kid because he chose tu. If that's where his heart is, then that's where he should go. The Aggies obviously thought he was good enough because he was given a TAMU offer.

We're entering a golden age of recruiting. There are a lot of kids who are excited about being Aggies, have their heart in it and want to be a part of something special. Those are the kids I want.
CPAg79
Do not want! He made his decision. He will now have to play his years on a mediocre burnt orange cow team. UGH!!!
DallasAg2011
quote:
They need to watch NFL games more often.

I was talking about HS kids you smart ass. Obviously hes not jerry rice.

These were HS coaches
AWP 97
AG
It is a major fail on his parents part that he likes tu especially if they both played at A&M. Also, I don't know what he and his parents said about A&M, if anything. However, I would never say anything negative about A&M even if I had multiple kids play elsewhere.
Heisenberg01
AG
quote:
quote:
They need to watch NFL games more often.

I was talking about HS kids you smart ass. Obviously hes not jerry rice.

These were HS coaches

You said they were scouts in your previous post. Most people would assume you were talking NFL scouts. If you are talking HS private school scouts, then who cares? If they want to see a better HS receiver, tell them to look at DGB's tape from last year. Maybe they meant most productive, in which case you can't argue Jake's numbers. His skill set is he is big with great hands. As you said he is very polished already, so his upside is limited. What you get out of Jake as a freshman will be what you get out of him as a senior. But I guess you could so that for all tu recruits.
PA24
AG
He is definitely a take if available
FishinAg02
AG
i do not want him. way too slow for our offense.

good kid though.

will fit mack brown's slow moving offense

and comments about swope... was considered the fastest kid in our program earlier in his career. completely different than jake.
DallasAg2011
Hiesenberg, you say "high school private school scouts". Jesuit is a private school, but they play a 5A schedule, jake plays legit competition. these were 5A coaches.

To clarify, the context of my convo with these coaches, it was in a press box at a HS game, and these are HS coaches for Plano west who were there scouting another team. They said they thought Jake was poised to go to the NFL, and said that in 30 years of scouting Texas high school kids, Oliver was the best receiver they had ever seen.

That's all, I dont know if they were including guys they have only seen on tape like DGB, or AJ green, and im not proclaiming he's the best reciever on the planet

[This message has been edited by DallasAg2011 (edited 11/27/2012 11:31a).]
DallasAg2011
quote:
i do not want him

then you dont know what your talking about. he is a bonifide stud. If you think you dont want him that is just sour grapes.

I guess our coaches who offered him dont know what they are talking about, and the coaches at Ohio St, Texas, OU, and Michigan dont know what they are talking about either.

[This message has been edited by DallasAg2011 (edited 11/27/2012 11:35a).]
The Collective
AG
It seemed like Oliver was heavily debated as a take/don’t take before his commitment to Texas. This discussion is not a new occurrence.
austinhomebuilder
When i think of the name Oliver i think of the last kid being picked during kickball
Teslag
AG
quote:
quote:
i do not want him

then you dont know what your talking about. he is a bonifide stud. If you think you dont want him that is just sour grapes.

I guess our coaches who offered him dont know what they are talking about, and the coaches at Ohio St, Texas, OU, and Michigan dont know what they are talking about either.

[This message has been edited by DallasAg2011 (edited 11/27/2012 11:35a).]

Everyone offered swoopes too. Sorry, Oliver is slow and won't fit.
DallasAg2011
quote:
Sorry, Oliver is slow and won't fit.

He runs about a 4'6. that's fast enough to get it done because he is a possession receiver.

I guess the message boards just know more than the coaching staffs and professional evaluaters

[This message has been edited by DallasAg2011 (edited 11/27/2012 12:48p).]
Happy Kuykendahl
Too many typical red flags of the entitled, doesn't want to work hard, not SEC good tsip
DallasAg2011
quote:
doesn't want to work hard

Do you know anything about him? I know the family and he is known for his work ethic in football and in academics
ElephantRider
AG
DallasAg = Gary Oliver
The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:
doesn't want to work hard

Do you know anything about him? I know the family and he is known for his work ethic in football and in academics

Thanks for clearing up that you are not an unbiased source. My point stands true, this kid has been debated for a long time, back for he committed to Texas. And looking at our current class, he's not a *must take* if he decided to give our coaches a ring. I
Heisenberg01
AG
I am not questioning Jake's competition. He is obviously a great high school player, and I think he will have some success at the college level. He has a high side of being a Kevin Walter type player which is not a bad thing. I am stating that a Plano West position coach may or may not know any more than you're avid football fan about projecting high school players to the NFL. If Bill Polian is stating he projects him to the NFL and the best receiver he has ever seen, that is quite a bit different.
Heisenberg01
AG
In terms of on the field in the state of Texas, Dez Bryant was obviously a much better and explosive receiver than Jake Oliver. His problems have always been off the field/classroom related.
DallasAg2011
heisenberg.

Im not saying I think he is the best prospect in Texas high school receiving history. I never said that.

I simply relayed the comments of a HS coaching staff who has scouted the state for years. It was their opinion.

[This message has been edited by DallasAg2011 (edited 11/27/2012 1:42p).]
Gigemaggies123
quote:
DallasAg = Gary Oliver
DallasAg2011
^ I also thought that was funny. for the record i wish I was him, he did play football here and has an awesome family
KLSanchez
quote:
I was talking about HS kids you smart ass.

I major in being a smartass.

Also, you're a little high up on JO's d*ck, man... slide off a bit and take a breath of fresh air. We got a dozen playmakers at wideout already, we're fine.

Here, let me show you a potential list of pass catchers:
Evans
Kennedy
Hicks
Askew
TJ
LeKendrick Williams
Derel Walker
Ed Pope
Sabian Holmes
Adeboyejo
Echols-Luper
JaQuay Williams
RSJ
Griffin
Quiv
Kyrion Parker

Evans, RSJ, and Griffin are all over 6'5" and 200, running faster on grass. I'm pretty sure those three win the physical talent competition. Parker, JaQuay, and Adeboyejo are all 6'3" +.

JO had his chance, but that train sailed when we filled his one spot with no less than six recruits, workin' on seven.

Honestly, either you got his d*** physically in your mouth or you're just being oblivious.
DallasAg2011
quote:
We got a dozen playmakers at wideout already, we're fine.

I never said we werent fine with out him or that we needed him. please show me where I said anything like that.

I simply said that the people that think he isnt good enough to play here are stupid
Teslag
AG
quote:
^ I also thought that was funny. for the record i wish I was him, he did play football here and has an awesome family

So awesome that they let their kid grow up to be a sip fan. Seriously how does that even happen?
DallasAg2011
because they didnt push him to one school

[This message has been edited by DallasAg2011 (edited 11/28/2012 12:46a).]
aggiebones
AG
Let me put it this way, if he had committed early we would not be unhappy having him. But now that we have a loaded ship, we cannot take him. Nor are we unhappy that he is not in the boat.
He would not be a positive addition at this point. He would be on the bottom half of value in this class.
Teslag
AG
quote:
because they didnt push him to one school

[This message has been edited by DallasAg2011 (edited 11/28/2012 12:46a).]

My child will grow up being the most redass kid imaginable. Just like every other kid I see with Aggie parents. They failed with this one or just simply didn't care about A&M.
Happy Kuykendahl
Don't care of they pushed him or not. Glad they let him make his own decision. However the look at me press release type commitment they did with subtle shots at A&M, the whole thing probably orchestrated by Mack, was a dbag thing to do. Gary selling A&M out like that was low.
beerad12man
AG
quote:
He is definitely a take if available

No, he is not. Not with our limited numbers. There's just no room.
Teslag
AG
quote:
Don't care of they pushed him or not. Glad they let him make his own decision. However the look at me press release type commitment they did with subtle shots at A&M, the whole thing probably orchestrated by Mack, was a dbag thing to do. Gary selling A&M out like that was low.

If this is true then it's even worse.
DallasAg2011
quote:
Let me put it this way, if he had committed early we would not be unhappy having him. But now that we have a loaded ship, we cannot take him. Nor are we unhappy that he is not in the boat.
He would not be a positive addition at this point. He would be on the bottom half of value in this class

No doubt. Im never argued that we need him in our class now, we are loaded and we are saving room for RSJ and Mitchell etc.

All I was saying is that the people that say he isnt good enough to play here dont know what they are talking about.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.