*** Game Thread: #19 Texas A&M vs #4 Stanford ***

13,943 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by foulbeast
Ag1188
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love it! We finally attacked the overpasses and our passing was so sharp. Gig'em!
Zigzig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thx for posting this, fun!!!
LB12MEEN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just what we needed prior to hosting Wisconsin on Friday. Reed will be rocking, looking forward to the match!
Gig ‘Em Baby!
Iraq2xVeteran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love how we finally got over the hump with a 3-1 win over Stanford.
sleuthofbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it's still early, but with her 4 aces last night Rodriguez is up to 0.38 aces/set, which is the highest since Hollann Hans' 0.53 in 2019.
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And she's a quarter of the way through season one of hopefully five
FluAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My thoughts:

- this team is still scratching the surface of what it can be but you are now seeing a lot more girls showing what they are capable of.
- Stowers and Gabi are key championship pieces...I'd add Eliza Sharp to that list too. She has emerged as a top 3 player on this team IMO.
- Was REALLY encouraged by Castle tonight. She not only blocked a lot better but finally showed signs of life on offense. That was great to see!
- Musgrove was excellent too. I prefer the 5-1 with her as the setter and it looks like Jamie is seeing it that way too. No clue what she is going to do next year with Peterson coming in but I'm always impressed with her swing when she attacks. I know it has been alluded to before, but she would be an excellent right side if she doesn't end up setting. Great length, a knack for blocking, and a powerful left-handed swing. For now, she is doing an incredible job of running the offense.
- I'm continually surprised that Gabi's serve is so effective, aside from great placement, but clearly it gives other teams a lot of problems.
- Love Ring's emotion and still think she is going to give us more as the season goes on. I love the highlights of her hitting from the back row but we haven't seen a lot of that. I don't recall a single back row set last night.
- Morris was awesome tonight. Again, a young player who we are watching really improve game by game in front of our very eyes. She doesn't make many mistakes and get up there!
- Applegate was solid in serve receive...only made one error with the second most attempts behind Stowers (they are serving away from Gabi).
- Didn't see a ton of Fitch tonight...no kills or even attempts but she did serve some and had several digs on the back row.
-Lacewell did a good job serving...she had a nice little run at one point.

That was a fun and exciting game and it was critical to get a ranked win on the board....especially a Top 5 win! Let's do it again on Friday night!
sleuthofbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have passing stats from the game?
TheOne1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was able to watch courtside and apart from how much more composed we looked, the biggest takeaway was how scary #15 on stanford is. She let out some primal roar after she got a klill at some point in the 2nd or 3rd set and had the kinda look in her eye like she was ready to tear someones head off lol. She definitely won the most intimidating victory scream award.

We need to work on ours for maximum fear effect. We are a little too happy with ours like, yaaaaay. We could maybe add some flexing and net staredowns after a point
______________
Class of 2007 | 2nd generation Aggie | Hullabaloo band founding member | A&M Vball & Bball ball boy 94-95

Swollen Thumb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great post…thanks for sharing!
TulaneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Morris played her best game in maroon by a mile last night. If she can consistently play like that then we are a much much better team.
2. I've been very hard on musgrove but she also improved a ton this week. Finally started putting some air under the ball and letting her hitters have options. If her and Ring can get on the same page, watch out.
3. I love the coaching staff moving Stowers and Morris around a little. That puts a ton of pressure on the defense to locate and defend kyndal from multiple spots.

Great week of practice all around. Congrats ladies!!!
haydayenthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went back and watched the film for Stanford and I'm honestly not sold on Castle yet. I agree that her timing looked better, but for the most part Logan Parks was sending sky high balls to the outside and opposite and Castle was still a bit slow to close. Her slide connection with Musgrove is looking much improved though.

I think she'll struggle with the much faster paced offense that Charlie Fuerbringer runs with Wisconsin, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised tonight. Go Ags!
taylorswift13_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Same here, I think Stanford's moon ball sets played in our favor… I really hope we can serve tough tonight to push Feurbringer off the net

I was impressed with our serving!
haydayenthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per suspended diet coke on VT, here are the passing stats:

" Texas A&M-Stanford
A&M 1.96 | Stowers 1.93/37% (19), Applegate 2.03/47% (17), Rodriguez 2.00/40% (15), Fitch 2.1/40% (10), Ring 1.61/33% (9)
Stanford 2.17 | Blyashov 2.2/50% (40), Roslon 2.59/70% (17), Etzler 2.14/57% (14), Kurt 1.54/33% (12)"
sleuthofbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
haydayenthusiast said:

Per suspended diet coke on VT, here are the passing stats:

" Texas A&M-Stanford
A&M 1.96 | Stowers 1.93/37% (19), Applegate 2.03/47% (17), Rodriguez 2.00/40% (15), Fitch 2.1/40% (10), Ring 1.61/33% (9)
Stanford 2.17 | Blyashov 2.2/50% (40), Roslon 2.59/70% (17), Etzler 2.14/57% (14), Kurt 1.54/33% (12)"


Interesting, just from watching the game I felt like we were much better at serve receive
Swollen Thumb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sleuthofbears said:

haydayenthusiast said:

Per suspended diet coke on VT, here are the passing stats:

" Texas A&M-Stanford
A&M 1.96 | Stowers 1.93/37% (19), Applegate 2.03/47% (17), Rodriguez 2.00/40% (15), Fitch 2.1/40% (10), Ring 1.61/33% (9)
Stanford 2.17 | Blyashov 2.2/50% (40), Roslon 2.59/70% (17), Etzler 2.14/57% (14), Kurt 1.54/33% (12)"


Interesting, just from watching the game I felt like we were much better at serve receive

Same here. I'm questioning those stats. But maybe it's that we were targeting Kurt who struggled.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely felt like we passed about the same but that's a pretty big difference. Are these stats measured by AI?

I do feel like we have room to grow on serve receive quality.
FluAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
haydayenthusiast said:

I went back and watched the film for Stanford and I'm honestly not sold on Castle yet. I agree that her timing looked better, but for the most part Logan Parks was sending sky high balls to the outside and opposite and Castle was still a bit slow to close. Her slide connection with Musgrove is looking much improved though.

I think she'll struggle with the much faster paced offense that Charlie Fuerbringer runs with Wisconsin, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised tonight. Go Ags!


They alluded to it on the broadcast but timing is tough when a team runs a different type of offense than you practice against every day...especially early in the season. Jamie runs a fast paced offense...it was frequently talked about in our championship run last year. Stanford was a MUCH slower paced offense so the timing was just a little off IMO.

I'm not all in on Castle yet either but my bigger concern thus far has been her offense. I have felt all along she will figure it out on the defensive side of the ball with such great athleticism and natural ability, elite coaching and getting practice against Stowers, Ring, Morris, and Fitch every day. Until Stanford I saw very little out of her offensively but she looked really good in that game so I now know it is in there.

I think we are going to beat Wisconsin tonight. Can't wait!
foulbeast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sleuthofbears said:

haydayenthusiast said:

Per suspended diet coke on VT, here are the passing stats:

" Texas A&M-Stanford
A&M 1.96 | Stowers 1.93/37% (19), Applegate 2.03/47% (17), Rodriguez 2.00/40% (15), Fitch 2.1/40% (10), Ring 1.61/33% (9)
Stanford 2.17 | Blyashov 2.2/50% (40), Roslon 2.59/70% (17), Etzler 2.14/57% (14), Kurt 1.54/33% (12)"


Interesting, just from watching the game I felt like we were much better at serve receive

Our passing was really bad in Set 3 - but overall I agree we were better in serve receive than previous matches. Set 3 was bad enough to skew the stats a little bit.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.