*** Game Thread: #8 Texas A&M vs #11 SMU - AVCA First Serve ***

12,412 Views | 187 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by FluAggie
Astroag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

I've pulled a back muscle on a few occasion and was fine. As long as it's just muscular it's no different than any other pulled muscle. We'll see…but I do agree she didn't seem capable of going last night.


This…I dunno how we went from muscle tweak to full on disc/nerve problems but good lord.
sleuthofbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I actually heard once they got back to College Station they had put her down Old Yeller style
AggieBaseball06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sleuthofbears said:

I actually heard once they got back to College Station they had put her down Old Yeller style


It was the right decision, imo. What kind of quality of life does one even have after they amputate your back?
Turkey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheOne1, you said what I've been thinking. And back injuries are fairly common for hitters, per our ortho sports doc a few years ago when dealing with that with our daughter.
Swollen Thumb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's not speculate. "Back injury" can be anything. It's like saying "leg injury". Is it joint, bone, nerve, muscular, etc??? We don't know and all are very different and could range from minor to more serious.

Even though she couldn't go, the fact that she tested it out yesterday suggests (hopefully) it's probably not structural and something less serious like a tweaked muscle. Ever lifted something wrong and pulled a lower back muscle? Did it make you wince when moving around for a while? Yes. Did it cause you life long neurological debilitation? No. No it didn't.

Let's just see how things go and not speculate Stowers year away just yet.
FluAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted in the other forum but will post here from now on:

My thoughts regarding yesterday's match:

- I like Musgrove more as a setter and I'd like to see us run a 5-1.
- Fitch was outstanding today. She had a couple of bad passes early but I thought overall she did a really good job on serve receive and her offense is solid. (There is room for improvement here but she had a lot of great digs and passes)
- Morris played well but I really don't love her serving. She really doesn't wind up and smash the ball but she is effortless and effective.
- Ring has GREAT energy and will get better as she gets more comfortable. She has hit a LOT of balls long in the first 2 matches.
- I really expected Castle to be a lot better. She has been basically non-existent in the first two matches. She is obviously skilled but she has a ways to go.
- Sharp is MB 1 in my opinion, both offensively and defensively. She didn't have a very good day either but much better than Castle.
- We have to block A LOT better.
- Gabi Rodriguez is probably our best overall player already (aside from Stowers). She is REALLY good!
- Need more Addi Applegate but our setter rotation is keeping her off the floor.

Stowers is going to make everyone better and solve a lot of problems but we have to get her right and not rush her back!

PS - Favor was incredible for SMU today. She was a wall on the other side of the court!
bassethoundag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't get to see the match, just read the threads from this weekend. Hearing the team seemed disjointed was somewhat disappointing, if not surprising. Hearing a few people talk about energy levels is surprising; that should never happen, certainly not at this level. Was that a general takeaway for people that watched? I would expect JM to view that pretty harshly if true. They may not be the most talented, at this point in the season anyways. Lack of energy/effort should never be a possibility.
Swollen Thumb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree Flu. Also agree with Wicked's thoughts. Always appreciate some of the shared insights.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't really get the sense of low energy or effort. But more frustration than we are used to from an Aggie team. Last year, you can literally feel the positive energy emanating from our side of the court even during tough times.

What I didn't see from our team last year that I'm seeing from this year's team is what I call a "negative celebration". When a team isn't doing well but a player does something great to earn a point and yells out a "Let's go!", the energy is actually negative showing frustration with the player herself or with the team. When we saw last year's team do something similar, it always felt like an uplifting moment for the team.

Moments from last year that you may remember with the TV cameras on a player are Hudson and Choboy. Negative celebration.

(edited original comment to be more clear)
bassethoundag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
flintdragon, thanks for the response. Something people commented on in a roundabout way is Louisville and SMU were pretty good - what's your take? Are these two teams that might be in the final eight come year-end? If that's the case it's a tough start to the season for a new team trying to gel and also missing a critical piece in Stowers to both contribute and stabilize the team when times get rocky.
Look Out Below
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Absolutely possible. Starting the year against two (essentially) top 10 teams with an entire new starting lineup is a BIG ask.
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Louisville is just a rock steady team. Not really any weaknesses after years of success and good recruiting. They have a new coach (Meske, 1st year last year) but their previous coach (Kelly) now coaches for Nebraska. She left him a very good team unlike the beginning of the Morrison era. Louisville can be beaten (and honestly, we had a small chance) but they aren't going to beat themselves. Their best player Chicoine is undersized but very smart. She picked us apart. We also had some very good hits but their solid defense didn't make points come easily.

SMU has been good the last several years after they hired their current coach (Erger). So far in her tenure, she doesn't seem to be interested in developing players, instead flexing the wallet and buying very good players from other programs. I can't keep up with their roster. But they have been very strong for the most part and have beaten some really good teams in the regular season but they haven't made it past sweet 16 yet.

Both teams have the talent for Elite 8 for sure with the edge going to Louisville due to balanced recruiting and better head coach (in my opinion).
FluAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When there are only 6 players on the court and you are without your best offensive player, who also happens to be on of the best in the country, you are going to feel it. After the first match I felt like we were a Top 8 type team and with some seasoning we could be even better. Yesterday was tough. We got blocked a ton, didn't get many blocks, etc.

I just wouldn't knee jerk too much without a healthy Stowers. She is the most irreplaceable player we have, by far. Let's see how we look when she is back!
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.