Anecdotal observation

3,904 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
$30,000 Millionaire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Folks,

I've noticed fewer people posting on here the last few days about having Omicron / Covid. If this is a bell weather, I'd say we will observe the peak this week when the reported cases catch up with actual day of testing.
combat wombat™
AG
My sons just tested positive. My daughter probably will, too. Lots of COVID at their school.
Clob94
The faster everybody gets this strain, the sooner this will all be over.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This wave, that is.
curry97
AG
Father in law and a patient of mine just tested positive.
jopatura
AG
combat wombat said:

My sons just tested positive. My daughter probably will, too. Lots of COVID at their school.

Yeah, the schools are screwed right now. At my daughter's elementary, every class has at least one case as of Friday afternoon. Only good thing is this is a 3 day weekend so hopefully it'll give the kids time to show symptoms by Tuesday.

If natural immunity is worth anything, hopefully this is it.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
combat wombat said:

Sorry to hear that. Same thing here with local schools, but it seems to be abating.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
The problem is the parents who don't care and send their sick kids to school anyway.
Charpie
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

The problem is the parents who don't care and send their sick kids to school anyway.
I've never quite understood this attitude amongst parents. I guess we have always been fortunate enough not to worry about day care and one of us could always stay home with the sick kid.

I am sure my daughter is about to get it. I just sent her back to A&M and her roommate showed up with pneumonia. My daughter took her to the ER because she was so bad last night.
SamHou
Clob94 said:

Hopefully. But from what I understand, the more infections, the more chance of mutation
CowtownEng

This has definitely always been an issue, and while this attitude will likely offer some assistance to Omicron, the biggest factor (IMO) is that a huge number of folks are infected with marginal to no symptoms. The assymptomatic positivity rate for many locations across the nation is well over 10%! Tarrant county calculates the prevalence of current infections at over 1% of the population, but considering most infections are mild, and the lack of tests, this is probably a severe underestimate.

Omicron is everywhere. We are all about to get innoculated/boosted over a short period of time.
2wealfth Man
AG
SamHou said:

Clob94 said:

Hopefully. But from what I understand, the more infections, the more chance of mutation
True, but any mutation will have to out-compete Omicron in terms of contagion. That would be very unlikely with R values north of 7 for Omicron.
cbaker20

I used to think this way until I had children. Then I stopped to consider where they were bringing it all home from. Just another anecdotal observation!

But for real, if I kept my kids home every single time they had an increase in general boogeriness they'd never leave the house. We keep them home when febrile, barfing or having diarrhea and a lot of kids aren't having a ton of omicron symptoms. My daughter recently recovered and was symptomatic for an entire 8 hours. Low grade fever was the only symptom she had.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, congestion is one thing and some kids would be home half their life if that's all it took. Fever is what some parents don't pay enough attention to, or worse, they dose them up just before day care/school so mom and dad can go get that important meeting out of the way before the fever spikes back and the nurse calls.
JP_Losman
AG
my mom was brutal about making us go to school every day.

She was a retired teacher so she had heard every excuse.

She made my dad go to work when he had terrible stomach pain... turned out he had appendicitis
and had to be operated on later that night
combat wombat™
AG
JP_Losman said:

my mom was brutal about making us go to school every day.

She was a retired teacher so she had heard every excuse.

She made my dad go to work when he had terrible stomach pain... turned out he had appendicitis
and had to be operated on later that night

SAHM? Sounds like your mom wanted your assess out of the house during the day.
AgsMyDude
AG
jopatura said:

combat wombat said:

Yeah, the schools are screwed right now. At my daughter's elementary, every class has at least one case as of Friday afternoon. Only good thing is this is a 3 day weekend so hopefully it'll give the kids time to show symptoms by Tuesday.

If natural immunity is worth anything, hopefully this is it.

My sister's school in Houston has 25% of the faculty out with covid at the moment
planoaggie123
AG
25% positive or is it also an issue with "contact tracing"?

Still pretty wild numbers and hopefully everyone bounces back soon.

We got 4 notifications from my daughter's classroom alone last week....
AgsMyDude
AG
25% out with positives, not contract tracing related
CorpsTerd04
AG
Me and my entire extended family have it right now and none of us got it from each other. It's everywhere.
amercer
AG
There was a day last week where 1 in 300 people IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY tested positive. Assuming that's a pretty massive undercount, everyone is getting omicron.
aginlakeway
AG
CorpsTerd04 said:

Me and my entire extended family have it right now and none of us got it from each other. It's everywhere.

Same here.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Ol_Ag_02
AG

Kid wakes up…. I have the sniffles, aches, stuffy nose, or headache, etc. Okay let's take your temperature.

No fever = No Staying Home.

Load em up with Children's cold medicine and send em on their way.
Jabin
The rule in our family growing up was that fever was the key. Fever = no school. No fever = school.
Capitol Ag
AG

Though I understand it. People have massive covid exhaustion. Sure, if your kid is sick with a fever, you do not send them to school. Duh. But the issue boils down to the quarantining and not just letting the kiddo go back 24 hours fever free. People do not want to go get the test, spend the whole day doing it in some cases and for many, it's just not realistic when both parents have jobs and now that they can work from home, they still miss work having to go get tested and spend a few hours doing it. No test, no covid and schools around here are not forcing parents to get tested. Its not as easy as blaming parents for the spread.
torrid
AG
CNN is reporting 1 in 5 have test positive for COVID over the course of the pandemic. In terms of real numbers, I bet 1 in 5 caught it over the last week.
dubi
AG

Or their schools are crappy about not allowing a few days of "online" attendance with a positive test.

What if your kid is In HS honors classes and has to miss 2 weeks of class because of a positive test? I for one would lie and send my kid if no fever.
Capitol Ag
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Kid wakes up…. I have the sniffles, aches, stuffy nose, or headache, etc. Okay let's take your temperature.

No fever = No Staying Home.

Load em up with Children's cold medicine and send em on their way.
Again, given all the things parents have to do regarding protocols, people should understand this. While I totally appreciate the ones who take kids with symptoms to get tested, it just isn't feasible to do for many working and I totally get it. Especially in places where the wait times are so long to be tested. There goes your workday. Or work from home, watch kiddo during the day or 2 then back to school. seems the obvious choice to many and maybe the only choice.

Our district doesn't require covid testing if the kid is out. So the moment the kid is well, they can come back unmasked. The district doesn't require masking so the quarantine is still 10 days to get around that issue. Honestly, while I get that many are very uncomfortable with this (though most in this district would go crazy if a masking mandate and strict testing policy were to be enforced), it is probably the only way to realistically do this since this has been 2 years running. I get a few months. But try to tell folks 2 years in to this and the push back is expected.

Look, I do not want to spread this to a person severely at risk. But I also follow a very healthy and fit lifestyle. I do all the right things, train up to 6 days a week, eat extremely controlled and well, have a very strong immune system even though I take an immuno-suppressant. I am double vaxed and am open to the booster but just had my 2nd covid infection 2 weeks ago so gotta wait on that one and getting covid=booster. To ask me to continue to "do my part" to limit the spread at this point gets a little old. I never had a fever either times I had covid. And this time was back out the day after I had felt bad. Honestly didn't mask either. Maybe its wrong. Can't really and won't argue that. Obviously I am not the guy to hang with if you live with a severely ill grandparent (I also purposefully avoid those friends as well and am upfront with them when I was ill). But, and I think many do, understand that a lot of people have had enough of all of this. In TX, we have a choice to live our lives mitigation free, as if covid isn't going on. I think as time goes on, more and more will start to take this approach, unless obviously there is a much more dangerous variant. Probably a large portion already has.
El Chupacabra
Horrible parent. Horrible member of the community. Horrible science denier.

If my kids aren't barfing or melting, here's some tylenol/benadryl, off you go. Go spread some natural immunity.

Recently, my 7 y/o had a 3-4 week long sinus infection...a few weeks later he, my 10 year old, and my wife (teacher) all started exhibiting cold-like symptoms. I got a stuffy head/nose/sinus for a day or 2. We kept the 10 y/o home for one day (he looked, sounded and felt miserable), no one else missed anything. And no one got tested. Omicron? Cold? Flu? Allergies? We'll never know. They're wearing masks, so everyone is protected anyway.
YouBet
AG
My brother got covid for the second time last week.

Wife told me last week that 8% of their workforce was out with it.

Should be on the downside quickly if not already.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.