Vaccination questions (on the fence)

12,409 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GeographyAg
Forum Troll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Serious COVID risk/complication for a 31 year old (yes it is very low) is still magnitudes greater than serious vaccine complications/risk. Some people end up being statistical anomalies with this disease; don't be that person.
aTm2004
AG
Forum Troll said:

Serious COVID risk/complication for a 31 year old (yes it is very low) is still magnitudes greater than serious vaccine complications/risk. Some people end up being statistical anomalies with this disease; don't be that person.
You can say the same about literally anything. I literally know (well, knew) more people who have died from walking down a flight of stairs than have died from COVID. I know more people who are now quadriplegic or paraplegic from car accidents than I know who have died of COVID. I know more people who lost a finger jumping off a boat than I know who have died of COVID. I know more people who have been hit by a vehicle while riding a bicycle on the sidewalk than I know who have died of COVID. In all of these instances, all but the one who died has longer lasting issues from their anomaly than anyone I know has from COVID, including my diabetic step-dad who is in his late-60s.
GeographyAg
AG
aTm2004 said:

GeographyAg said:

aTm2004 said:

jopatura said:

If your wife really thinks it's going to mess with her fertility, at least get the shot so that your reduce the chances of bringing it home to her. It won't completely eliminate the risk, but there's a benefit there.
Huh? How will it reduce the risk now that we know the vaccine will not 1) stop one from getting COVID, and 2) still allow that person to pass COVID to others?

There are 2 types of people in this world right now:
1. Those who have gotten COVID
2. Those who will get COVID
Here's what we know about the vaccine:

1) It stops a lot of people from getting covid (but not everybody because nothing in life is 100%)
You state that as a fact, but we do not know because the CDC stopped tracking data in May. But yeah, you're going to use the "nothing in life is 100%" as your out.

"State health departments voluntarily report vaccine breakthrough cases to CDC. On May 1, 2021, after collecting data on thousands of vaccine breakthrough infections, CDC changed the focus of how it uses data from this reporting system. One of the strengths of this system is collecting data on severe cases of vaccine breakthrough COVID-19 since it is likely that most of these types of vaccine breakthrough cases seek medical care and are diagnosed and reported as a COVID-19 case. CDC relies on a variety of additional approaches to comprehensively monitor vaccine impact. Previous data on all vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC from JanuaryApril 2021 are available."

Quote:

2) For most people who do get a breakthrough infection, that infection is very mild (milder than it would have been with out the vaccine), and they aren't as contagious for nearly as long as those who get the full-blown unprotected version.
If you're talking people 50+, I'd agree. For those in their 20's or 30's, I would disagree. Their impact is much less.

Also, regarding transmission...

"'Our vaccines are working exceptionally well,' she said. 'They continue to work well with delta with regard to severe illness and death, but what they can't do anymore is prevent transmission.'"

Link

Quote:

I think there are five types of people in this world right now:

1. Those who have gotten COVID and gotten over it easily. Majority of people
2. Those who have gotten COVID and gotten over it, but had a hard time with it and either wish they'd been able to get a simple vaccination to help their bodies fight it, or regret their decision not to worry about it until it was too late. Those have mostly been older or had health issues. For a healthy younger person, this is rare.
3. Those who will get COVID and never know it or have a very mild case. Again, majority of people
4. Those who will get COVID and know that they have been vaccinated, so their bodies already have a head start on fighting the infection (and that they've done all they can do to be prepared ahead of time). If there are known comorbidities or a person is mid-40s+, they should get the vaccine. Healthy 20 and 30 somethings?
5. Those who will get COVID, start to feel really bad, and then suddenly wonder what they should do about it, probably looking into antibody treatments or other treatments to try to give themselves some help fighting it. What do you have against that? Even vaccinated people are now seeking treatments when they get COVID.

I don't disagree with any of your points on 1-4, but you make a HUGE assumption and implication on #5 that I don't appreciate at all. I have nothing against them for seeking treatment. None at all. I never said I did. They'd be stupid not to seek treatment.

I just think it's sad that they won't do the one thing they could easily have done before getting sick. The one thing that would have been the best thing to help them. A LOT of people delude themselves about how healthy they are.

I'm in my 50s. Everyone in their 50s know they're going to get Shingles some day if they haven't already. Every person I know who has gotten shingles has suffered terribly. And yet time after time my friends and family members get it and when I ask, "did you get the vaccine?" they say, "no." It makes me sad that people won't take advantage of such an easy, simple, and really painless thing to do. It's just very odd to me. I got two different shingles vaccines (the older one that didn't work as well, and the two dose newer one that promises better protection). Frankly, as bad a case of chicken pox as I had, I'd do just about anything to avoid shingles.

I still support those unvaccinated people with shingles going to the doctor for pain medication and the (sadly) very little the doctor can do to help you get through it once you get it. But I'll never understand why they didn't get vaccinated in the first place just to avoid the pain.

I even know some 30somethings that have been pretty sick and missed some work because of covid. They're not sick enough to go to the hospital, so they probably don't get counted in the stats, but I know several who have had to miss work, been isolated from their families, and dealt with ongoing residual issues like coughing and runny noses that seem to last forever. I just think even if I were young I'd still get the vaccine in the hopes that it could help.

YMMV, of course. You do you.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
hbtheduce
AG
I wish more people would just miss work when they were sick instead of coming and spreading colds and normal flus. This idea that being sick or having a runny nose is some tragedy or hardship is absurd

cc_ag92
AG
Vaccine efficacy anecdote...

My sister and BIL attended a family get together with his family two weekends ago. 17 people attended. 10 were vaccinated. 8 now have Covid, one of them vaccinated. She also lives with the two original cases, so she was exposed more than that night. So, the one vaccinated person who caught it might spread Covid, but the other 9 vaccinated people didn't get it, so they didn't spread it. I'll take those odds.
jopatura
AG
hbtheduce said:

I wish more people would just miss work when they were sick instead of coming and spreading colds and normal flus. This idea that being sick or having a runny nose is some tragedy or hardship is absurd

What frustrates me is this is engrained in our culture from 5 on. My daughter woke up today with a sore throat, her temp right at 100, and you could tell she was miserable. It was easy for me to make the decision she wasn't going to school. I email her teacher before school starts. I get an email back that says if I don't take her to the doctor, it's an unexcused absence and that I should reconsider keeping her home if it wasn't that bad. She laid on the couch all day with her iPad and Switch (very rare if you knew her), then popped up about dinner time and you could tell she felt a lot better and the temp was hanging out about 99.5. School can suck it, but it's frustrating that powering through is pushed at such young ages.
planoaggie123
AG
Agree with you but if I am not mistaken individual attendance is important to how schools get funded and a lot of parents would abuse the system and always say kids are sick so they don't have to take them.

Would require a change in school funding which would be a good thing likely.
cc_ag92
AG
This is why Texas schools celebrate perfect attendance. It's about funding. Most states don't base funding on daily attendance.
planoaggie123
AG
cc_ag92 said:

This is why Texas schools celebrate perfect attendance. It's about funding. Most states don't base funding on daily attendance.

Right. Not saying it's right (rather agree it's quite wrong) but schools themselves are not to blame.
aTm2004
AG
GeographyAg said:

aTm2004 said:

GeographyAg said:

aTm2004 said:

jopatura said:

If your wife really thinks it's going to mess with her fertility, at least get the shot so that your reduce the chances of bringing it home to her. It won't completely eliminate the risk, but there's a benefit there.
Huh? How will it reduce the risk now that we know the vaccine will not 1) stop one from getting COVID, and 2) still allow that person to pass COVID to others?

There are 2 types of people in this world right now:
1. Those who have gotten COVID
2. Those who will get COVID
Here's what we know about the vaccine:

1) It stops a lot of people from getting covid (but not everybody because nothing in life is 100%)
You state that as a fact, but we do not know because the CDC stopped tracking data in May. But yeah, you're going to use the "nothing in life is 100%" as your out.

"State health departments voluntarily report vaccine breakthrough cases to CDC. On May 1, 2021, after collecting data on thousands of vaccine breakthrough infections, CDC changed the focus of how it uses data from this reporting system. One of the strengths of this system is collecting data on severe cases of vaccine breakthrough COVID-19 since it is likely that most of these types of vaccine breakthrough cases seek medical care and are diagnosed and reported as a COVID-19 case. CDC relies on a variety of additional approaches to comprehensively monitor vaccine impact. Previous data on all vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC from JanuaryApril 2021 are available."

Quote:

2) For most people who do get a breakthrough infection, that infection is very mild (milder than it would have been with out the vaccine), and they aren't as contagious for nearly as long as those who get the full-blown unprotected version.
If you're talking people 50+, I'd agree. For those in their 20's or 30's, I would disagree. Their impact is much less.

Also, regarding transmission...

"'Our vaccines are working exceptionally well,' she said. 'They continue to work well with delta with regard to severe illness and death, but what they can't do anymore is prevent transmission.'"

Link

Quote:

I think there are five types of people in this world right now:

1. Those who have gotten COVID and gotten over it easily. Majority of people
2. Those who have gotten COVID and gotten over it, but had a hard time with it and either wish they'd been able to get a simple vaccination to help their bodies fight it, or regret their decision not to worry about it until it was too late. Those have mostly been older or had health issues. For a healthy younger person, this is rare.
3. Those who will get COVID and never know it or have a very mild case. Again, majority of people
4. Those who will get COVID and know that they have been vaccinated, so their bodies already have a head start on fighting the infection (and that they've done all they can do to be prepared ahead of time). If there are known comorbidities or a person is mid-40s+, they should get the vaccine. Healthy 20 and 30 somethings?
5. Those who will get COVID, start to feel really bad, and then suddenly wonder what they should do about it, probably looking into antibody treatments or other treatments to try to give themselves some help fighting it. What do you have against that? Even vaccinated people are now seeking treatments when they get COVID.

I don't disagree with any of your points on 1-4, but you make a HUGE assumption and implication on #5 that I don't appreciate at all. I have nothing against them for seeking treatment. None at all. I never said I did. They'd be stupid not to seek treatment.
The thing about is #5 can apply to 1-4 (not as much 3), so having it as it's own group of people makes one believe you think differently of them. Like the made up stories from the nurses/doctors who want their bit of fame saying "they're on the bed dying and begging for the vaccine, but I have to look at them and say 'honey, it's too late.'"

Quote:

I just think it's sad that they won't do the one thing they could easily have done before getting sick. The one thing that would have been the best thing to help them. A LOT of people delude themselves about how healthy they are.
I don't disagree with the bolded, but the "one thing they could easily have done" will differ for each person. The best thing to do for a 33 year old who sits inside playing video games all day would be to get outside and start exercising to get healthy. For a 53 year old, getting healthy should be a priority, but the vaccine should also be at the top of the list. If you don't get an annual physical, go get one to make sure you're not overestimating your health.

Quote:

I even know some 30somethings that have been pretty sick and missed some work because of covid. They're not sick enough to go to the hospital, so they probably don't get counted in the stats, but I know several who have had to miss work, been isolated from their families, and dealt with ongoing residual issues like coughing and runny noses that seem to last forever. I just think even if I were young I'd still get the vaccine in the hopes that it could help.
Prior to COVID, we used to call this "getting sick." It has happened before. In fact, many companies give what are called "sick days" to be used when this happens. We all better prepare, because it will happen again. Also, many companies are giving people a day off to deal with the sickness that often comes from the vaccine as an incentive to get the vaccine.

It seems people now believe COVID happened and we all scrambled to create an entirely new industry and called it Medicine. It's like medical schools, doctors, nurses, hospitals, etc didn't exist prior to March 2020. People get sick and are treated. Some die. Some have long term issues. Most recover and go about their lives. Sometimes, a healthy young person dies from an illness and it can't be explained, while some old person with a laundry list of comorbidities that should have checked them out 18 years ago get the illness and does just fine.
petebaker
AgsMyDude
AG
OP ever make a decision?
GigEmRangers75455
Made the decision to get the Moderna vaccine. Got the first dose 3 weeks ago. Had 102 fever all day today. Went to DR this evening and had 2 negative tests but told that I do in fact have covid.

Question, does the first dose alone reduce odds of severe case? Wife and son are staying away from me and showing no symptoms.
KidDoc
AG
First dose does decrease the risk by roughly 30-40% compared to 80-90% after 2nd dose. Get well!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agz win
AG
Sadly lost a friend yesterday when she was taken off life support - doctors couldn't do any more. Great lady, wife and mom. She leaves her best friend husband and introverted 15 year old son who was her late miracle child.

She was 55 and healthy but about 20 pounds overweight. She refused to get the vaxx with thought she was tough enough, which matched her strong personality. Both she and husband believed they caught Covid from her son from school. What is particularly tragic is she ran the household and finances and the husband is unprepared in moving forward and the boy is a mess. It's humbling when these hit so close.
AgResearch
AG
Aggies75455 said:

Made the decision to get the Moderna vaccine. Got the first dose 3 weeks ago. Had 102 fever all day today. Went to DR this evening and had 2 negative tests but told that I do in fact have covid.

Question, does the first dose alone reduce odds of severe case? Wife and son are staying away from me and showing no symptoms.
How was it determined you have covid when you had 2 negative tests?
GigEmRangers75455
She told me I had the symptoms and that's what it had to be. I'm almost certain it was a bad sinus infection… I took an at home test 2 days later and it was still negative.
dubi
AG
Aggies75455 said:

She told me I had the symptoms and that's what it had to be. I'm almost certain it was a bad sinus infection… I took an at home test 2 days later and it was still negative.
"Had to be" is poor phrasing for a physician.

I "suspect" you have Covid gain would be more appropriate.
PatAg
AG
aTm2004 said:

Forum Troll said:

You can say the same about literally anything. I literally know (well, knew) more people who have died from walking down a flight of stairs than have died from COVID. I know more people who are now quadriplegic or paraplegic from car accidents than I know who have died of COVID. I know more people who lost a finger jumping off a boat than I know who have died of COVID. I know more people who have been hit by a vehicle while riding a bicycle on the sidewalk than I know who have died of COVID. In all of these instances, all but the one who died has longer lasting issues from their anomaly than anyone I know has from COVID, including my diabetic step-dad who is in his late-60s.
That's why we don't make decisions off of anecdotal data.
GeographyAg
AG
Iagz win said:

Sadly lost a friend yesterday when she was taken off life support - doctors couldn't do any more. Great lady, wife and mom. She leaves her best friend husband and introverted 15 year old son who was her late miracle child.

She was 55 and healthy but about 20 pounds overweight. She refused to get the vaxx with thought she was tough enough, which matched her strong personality. Both she and husband believed they caught Covid from her son from school. What is particularly tragic is she ran the household and finances and the husband is unprepared in moving forward and the boy is a mess. It's humbling when these hit so close.
I'm so sorry. That's terrible. I've lost several family members and friends to this disease, too. It's heartbreaking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.