Antibody Test

2,405 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
joerobert_pete06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would like to take an antibody test, has anyone used in at-home kits and can you share which did you use?

Thanks in advance!
88planoAg
AG
You can sign up to be a part of this study in Texas, tests are free, locations are labs everywhere

https://sph.uth.edu/projects/texascares/
joerobert_pete06
AG
Thanks. I'm having issues getting past the initial survey but I'll keep trying
DriftwoodAg
AG
You can donate blood in Houston and get a free antibody test
oldcrow91
AG
DriftwoodAg said:

Just got my latest positive antibody test from blood donation on Friday.

Have tested positive at all three donations this year. Tested negative at blood donation right before I think I had it in October.

Carter bloodcare is in my area.
Aston94
AG
DriftwoodAg said:

Really anywhere you donate blood they are doing antibody tests.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
oldcrow91 said:

DriftwoodAg said:

Have tested positive at all three donations this year. Tested negative at blood donation right before I think I had it in October.

Thank you.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Aston94 said:

DriftwoodAg said:

This is changing. Lots of blood centers are stopping the test as it is a non reimbursed expense and interest in the test is waning and not bringing in the donors to offset the costs. Our current plan is to cease testing at the end of june
joerobert_pete06
AG
oldcrow91 said:

DriftwoodAg said:

How long did it take to get your results?
oldcrow91
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

oldcrow91 said:

DriftwoodAg said:

How long did it take to get your results?

Friday to the following Wednesday on their website.
oldcrow91
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Aston94 said:

DriftwoodAg said:

This is changing. Lots of blood centers are stopping the test as it is a non reimbursed expense and interest in the test is waning and not bringing in the donors to offset the costs. Our current plan is to cease testing at the end of june

That's understandable if you have plenty of donors.

I don't recall being asked about my interest in the test. I am sure interest has waned and vaccinated folks have started donating again.

Perhaps it could be optional if requested?

I had not donated in over 10 years before the 5 times I donated recently specifically for the antibody tests (of course I figured the supply was tight as well but perhaps it's not as tight now, which would be great)
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
oldcrow91 said:

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Aston94 said:

DriftwoodAg said:

That's understandable if you have plenty of donors.

I don't recall being asked about my interest in the test. I am sure interest has waned and vaccinated folks have started donating again.

Perhaps it could be optional if requested?

I had not donated in over 10 years before the 5 times I donated recently specifically for the antibody tests (of course I figured the supply was tight as well but perhaps it's not as tight now, which would be great)

I wish inventory was good. We are still in the midst of the most prolonged inventory shortage. We need more people to donate regularly.

The novelty of the antibody testing in the general public to draw in new and/or lapsed donors as worn off. However, it's original intent was to identify convalescent plasma donor opportunities to meet the patient needs for that product. A tertiary benefit was the general donor incentive.

With the case counts dropping, the need for convalescent plasma has waned as well. This is a great thing as it (hopefully) means we are on the other end of this pandemic, however, the cost of the antibody test is an unbudgeted expense that we can not seek any reimbursement for, which means we are spending nearly 100k per month to test every donation. When the need for plasma was there, we were willing to absorb that cost to meet patients needs and try and it helped boost our general inventory. That calculus has changed and we are looking to find some other programs to draw in new donors and retain current donors.

The biggest hit we took is in the 16-19 yr old donor demographic. Pre pandemic they made up 25% of our collections, this past year they were less that 10%. Not being able to be on schools and educate kids and collect blood is that has hampered us. (We are talking 30-40k units of blood) that we have not been able to replace.

All that to say. Thank you for donating, and please continue to do so and bring a friend. We are working on some new programs to thank and reward donors over the summer and into the fall.
joerobert_pete06
AG
So I donated plasma/platelets this past Monday and took 1.5hrs. Easy peezy but I am still waiting for the results to be uploaded to their portal
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

So I donated plasma/platelets this past Monday and took 1.5hrs. Easy peezy but I am still waiting for the results to be uploaded to their portal

SoTheySay
S
Donated plasma on my one year Covid-versary and came back positive for antibodies still!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
SoTheySay said:

Donated plasma on my one year Covid-versary and came back positive for antibodies still!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.