Efficacy of masks

5,276 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by willtackleforfood
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If a paper mask worked to stop/limit upper respiratory virus spread, or could easily be made to do so with any real efficacy even if at a higher cost, then someone would have made one and submitted the data behind such a claim to the FDA.

This has never been done, let alone FDA cleared for marketing purposes.
SamHou
dermdoc said:

SamHou said:

NASA - What is with you having conniptions about posting links to scientific studies? Do you only like it if something is posted that fits your beliefs?

DERM - I shared links to a couple articles. I thought this was a forum to discuss science / medical issues related to COVID.
Fair enough.

I read the articles and no one disagrees that masks may stop large particles if worn correctly.

To take that data and extrapolate to whether that decreases the spread of any virus is pure conjecture, would you agree?

The problem is that due to ethics(can not expose people to COVID from infected people)you can not do the controlled studies which prove or disprove how effective masks are.

So basically we get articles usually with a political bias which prove nothing.

The only way I can surmise the effectiveness of masks is looking at states who had strict mask refs and those that didn't.

Common sense says from looking at that data that masks were useless.

They didn't test for the size of COVID (0.12 micron), so it is definitely a limitation of the study.

Where in either article I posted had anything political?

I think looking at states with strict mask mandates vs. none is a really bad way of assessing mask efficacy. There are way too many confounds (types of masks worn; population density; actual adherence to mandates; demographics; etc.).

P.U.T.U
AG
Cloth mask don't work, a lot of places measure when they are dry but as soon as you breath in them they lose efficiency and become worthless at filtering. Your breath has moisture and cloth doesn't filter when it is wet.
dermdoc
AG
SamHou said:

dermdoc said:

SamHou said:

NASA - What is with you having conniptions about posting links to scientific studies? Do you only like it if something is posted that fits your beliefs?

DERM - I shared links to a couple articles. I thought this was a forum to discuss science / medical issues related to COVID.
Fair enough.

I read the articles and no one disagrees that masks may stop large particles if worn correctly.

To take that data and extrapolate to whether that decreases the spread of any virus is pure conjecture, would you agree?

The problem is that due to ethics(can not expose people to COVID from infected people)you can not do the controlled studies which prove or disprove how effective masks are.

The only way I can surmise the effectiveness of masks is looking at states who had strict mask refs and those that didn't.

They didn't test for the size of COVID (0.12 micron), so it is definitely a limitation of the study.

I think looking at states with strict mask mandates vs. none is a really bad way of assessing mask efficacy. There are way too many confounds (types of masks worn; population density; actual adherence to mandates; demographics; etc.).

Actually looking at real life results are always better than articles.

I have been running monthly medical journal clubs since the 80's.

I can make stats in an article say whatever I want to. Actual numbers from states are different.

And why are maskers like you libs and anti maskers conservatives?

Makes you think.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SamHou
Makes me think that education, reasoning, and communication in this country is lacking.

Thank you for the posts. Have a good evening.
dermdoc
AG
SamHou said:

Makes me think that education, reasoning, and communication in this country is lacking.

Thank you for the posts. Have a good evening.
Agree completely.

And you have a great evening also.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
planoaggie123
AG
SamHou said:

dermdoc said:

SamHou said:

Fair enough.

Pick and choose whatever data you want (types of masks; locations; temperatures; etc). That is the whole argument. You admit there are too many variables to properly assess the effectiveness. You can have 2 scientists prepare a "mask effectiveness study" and those two highly qualified individuals can show wildly different results.

I choose to believe those face masks made by Target and H&M and GAP are not really made correctly or worn properly. I also choose to believe these new "blue medical looking masks" are all likely made by companies who started up to take advantage of the situation and maybe have no business making masks. I also choose to believe we had created more harmful waste on our planet from these masks yet nobody will mention that either. Go walk around a parking lot and just look at your feet. as you walk and bring a calculator to add them up.

I still see morons walking around outside in public with low-quality masks. I do not get it.

willtackleforfood
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.