Poll: covid origin

13,529 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Pizza
Maybe Next Year
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Covid jumped from a bat to humans in a chinese wet market
Maybe Next Year
AG
Covid was engineered in a Wuhan virology lab and released
Newoldarmy
AG
Most likely is that it was engineered in Wuhan for nefarious purposes and escaped due to incompetence.
West Point Aggie
AG
Filthy, gross, disgusting wet market in Wuhan

OR

Wuhan lab eff up

Either way; FU China
Let’s Go Brandon!
Infection_Ag11
AG
It most likely represents a species jump. The virus doesn't contain the genetic hallmarks of gain of function research.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Old Buffalo
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

It most likely represents a species jump. The virus doesn't contain the genetic hallmarks of gain of function research.

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL NARRATIVE!
Gordo14
I think it's much more likely that they were studying coronaviruses in the lab and one of the employees got sick than it was engineered in a lab. I think the fact that the first two known cases had absolutely nothing to do with the wet market suggests that the wet market wasn't the likely source. Also the bat species that carried the virus is from thousands of miles from Wuhan, so it likely would have started elsewhere if it came from the bats themselves. I think the wet market was the first super spreader event, but it was an accidental leak from the lab - carried unknowingly by a staff member to the general public.

If this was an engineered virus it doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. The virus could have been way worse and they started by spreading on it's own people to spread it globally? It doesn't have the characteristics of a manufactured virus either.

The Chinese are trying to coverup the origins to save face. Their entire culture overemphasizes the concept of "saving face". It's why their response to the initial outbreak was terrible and they wouldn't let the CDC and WHO in.
beerad12man
AG
Old Buffalo said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL NARRATIVE!

Not any more. Seems many more are coming around to the opposite of what he's saying. Genetically making more sense it was lab altered as they can't find the species it jumped from
beerad12man
AG
Gordo14 said:

I think it's much more likely that they were studying coronaviruses in the lab and one of the employees got sick than it was engineered in a lab. I think the fact that the first two known cases had absolutely nothing to do with the wet market suggests that the wet market wasn't the likely source. Also the bat species that carried the virus is from thousands of miles from Wuhan, so it likely would have started elsewhere if it came from the bats themselves. I think the wet market was the first super spreader event, but it was an accidental leak from the lab - carried unknowingly by a staff member to the general public.

If this was an engineered virus it doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. The virus could have been way worse and they started by spreading on it's own people to spread it globally? It doesn't have the characteristics of a manufactured virus either.

The Chinese are trying to coverup the origins to save face. Their entire culture overemphasizes the concept of "saving face". It's why their response to the initial outbreak was terrible and they wouldn't let the CDC and WHO in.

Engineered does not mean they intentionally started to spread it to their own people. Engineered means they were trying to find out how it would jump to humans so altered it to make it more transmissible.

What doesn't make sense about that??
cone
AG
lab leak

accident

thankful we can now discuss this in polite circles
cone
AG
cone
AG
the push for GoF is largely apolitical

I don't think affiliation has anything to do with the funding
sleepybeagle
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

The fact that this "species jump" narrative is pushed so hard and any debate otherwise is met with on scorn worries me that you are wrong.

TAMUallen
AG
The source of Covid is the lab China. Question is if it was deliberately released or if it was accidental.
nortex97
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

The Fauci subordinate (Daczac) bragged about it 'appearing' natural (using 'stealth' insertion technique). He also is the one who was on the investigation into whether it was released from the lab or natural.

It's tough to take such analyses/conclusions seriously, in other words, especially as his boss is out in the press lying about it entirely.
bay fan
S
Infection_Ag11 said:

Stop mixing science with hate! Ruins a good conspiracy theory.
beerad12man
AG
bay fan said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Stop mixing science with hate! Ruins a good conspiracy theory.
Your version of science is who you believe. There is no "the science" with regards to any of this. There is nothing conspiracy theorist about believing it came from a lab.
buffalo chip
S
sleepybeagle said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

The fact that this "species jump" narrative is pushed so hard and any debate otherwise is met with on scorn worries me that you are wrong.

Follow the money... From NIH through Daczak (sp?) to the Wuhan lab. Then, witness the stringent statements in support of species jump by those American doctors involved in the research funding, combined with the derision of anyone asking about even the mere possibility of a lab accident source.

Looks like some major league CYA going on...

With the Chinese government destroying records and potential witnesses while pointing its finger abroad, we will likely never be able to accumulate enough facts.
permabull
AG
I don't think the virus was lab grown or created, but I think the lab has something to do with the virus ending up in Wuhan. I would guess one of their researchers got sick out collecting bat samples and brought the virus to the city.
Double Diamond
Covid was a lab leak. They don't even have bats at that wet market. Also Covid was already able to make such a big jump from human to human. This to me sounds like that part was worked on in the lab. I don't think it was a deliberate leak.
Double Diamond
Bats aren't out and about in December. Though this certainly could've started earlier. It seems highly unlikely something this bad came from an area that is testing and working on things this bad.
Double Diamond
It actually has many signs pointing to gain of function research.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Double Diamond said:

It actually has many signs pointing to gain of function research.

Such as?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
I'd like to understand how exactly a lab accident is a conspiracy
Tamu_mgm
AG
AcesAnd8s said:

Covid was engineered in a Wuhan virology lab and released
Anyone at this point that doubts this, is being willfully ignorant.
BigOil
AG
The joys of anonymous internet speculation...
Double Diamond
Such as very few new viruses can jump through people like this. Typically these virus's take time learning that trick.
Double Diamond
It's not. That is what that lab there does. It's not hard to think that a leak could happen.
cone
AG
I definitely understand why we'd want it to not be a lab leak

danger lurks that way
Double Diamond
Brett Weinstein has podcasted a lot on this. The guy is a evolutionary biologist that studied bats.
Double Diamond
I think this type of research is dangerous. Next leak might be worse.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Double Diamond said:

Such as very few new viruses can jump through people like this.

What do you mean "jump through people like this"? Do you mean it's ability to spread person to person? Because there are plenty of viruses far more contagious than COVID, and ones similarly contagious when they made the species jump.

Quote:

Typically these virus's take time learning that trick.

Again, what do you mean "learn that trick"? If you mean the ability to infect people other than the original host, then that's just selection bias. You are only going to detect those that do possess "that trick".
Infection_Ag11
AG
Double Diamond said:

Brett Weinstein has podcasted a lot on this. The guy is a evolutionary biologist that studied bats.

It's Bret, and I like the guy. I actually watch his podcast, and I saw the interview you're referring to (I believe on Bill Maher).

That being said, he's off base here. His point about most naturally occurring viruses not having "both tricks" from the get go is misleading. While that is true, it's largely true for viruses we never hear about because they're never identified. Most of the time when viruses make the leap from one species to another, they colonize or infect one host but aren't effectively transmissible to other members of that new species. However, the novel viruses we do hear about are the exceptions to that rule. So it's essentially a type of selection bias, where most viruses aren't capable of that but the only ones we find out about are. In other words, the fact that SARS-CoV2 is here and doing its thing in and of itself makes that line of thinking moot (or at least isn't proof it was manufactured). It could have been, but that's not a meaningful argument for it being so.
Double Diamond
Just seems unlikely that in city that works on dangerous virus that the leak didn't come from the lab.
Infection_Ag11
AG
sleepybeagle said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

I'm not scorning anyone, I just haven't seen any convincing evidence that it was manufactured or altered in a lab apart from largely baseless conspiracy theories relating to people and money. It doesn't matter who was funding what where, all that matters is whether or not it can be shown properties of the virus itself are consistent with such a thing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.