Poll: covid origin

13,611 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Pizza
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bret has talked in more depth on why he thinks it's a leak.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Double Diamond said:

Just seems unlikely that in city that works on dangerous virus that the leak didn't come from the lab.

But that's not evidence, that's essentially magical thinking. It's drawing a casual relationship between two things without any good reason for doing so.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Double Diamond
Well it's a fact that the wet bars in that area do not have bats. It's a fact bats are away for the winter than. The bat story doesn't add up.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Nobody said it had to be a bat, coronaviruses can infect a number of mammals
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tramp96
Plagues happen. Look at the history of the world.

I just find it interesting that this plague was just barely over 100 years since the last big one (yes, there have been smaller ones in between).

oragator
There were peer reviewed studies as early as last year March that the virus wasn't man made.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/safety-quality/covid-19-not-man-made-comparative-genomic-study-finds

But that doesn't preclude the idea that it started in a lab, if they were not careful with what they were doing the jump could have been made much much easier.

Of course it's also possible the the virus didn't even originate in Wuhan (though it's the most likely scenario), they are still tracking cases back further. There was an analysis of Chinese social media and references to the symptoms spiked weeks before the first official cases, so it had been around for a while. And if it could have travelled the country (or even the world) freely for weeks at a minimum. I doubt we ever get to a patient zero to know for sure.
beerad12man
AG
I would put exactly ZERO stock in anything that came out in March or April of 2020 regardless
oragator
Honest question, why?
The virus was decoded by January last year. If it hadn't been well understood early last year we wouldn't have been able to start the vaccine creation process. Pfizer was in clinical trials by April of last year for instance.
There were also other studies after that, including by the Trump admin's intelligence service, the WHO, among others.

It's highly unlikely it was engineered. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean the lab or some other worrisome method of transmission is off the hook. But not sure why the modified story keeps gaining traction, other than distrust of China.
Dilettante
Put me also in the "no evidence of engineering" camp.
P.U.T.U
AG
Infection, what can you say against what Marcus Aurelius said on here? I am not a doctor like y'all which is why I am asking since y'all have differing opinions.

Quote:

Covid-19 has a furin cleavage insert which renders it more infective into mammals. These odds of this 4 nucleotide sequence addition occurring by chance are zero. This isn't a naturally occurring virus. It was created by the Wuhan lab IMO. Shi Zenghli.
Link from Dec 2020
Infection_Ag11
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Infection, what can you say against what Marcus Aurelius said on here? I am not a doctor like y'all which is why I am asking since y'all have differing opinions.

Quote:

Covid-19 has a furin cleavage insert which renders it more infective into mammals. These odds of this 4 nucleotide sequence addition occurring by chance are zero. This isn't a naturally occurring virus. It was created by the Wuhan lab IMO. Shi Zenghli.
Link from Dec 2020

I would say the information in the paper he linked is incorrect. For starters, it's false to state that is a truly novel futon cleavage site. The exact same one is found in a strain of coronavirus that infects cats, and that's just one we know about. We haven't sequenced anywhere near the totality of mammalian coronaviruses.
Maybe Next Year
AG
Bump just in case any new evidence has emerged?
coolerguy12
AG
Bourre said:

Bump just in case any new evidence has emerged?

The official narrative is that if you believe it's possible that CV19 came from a lab where they were conducting gain of function research on coronaviruses you are a hard core right wing knuckle dragging conspiracy theorist.
fightingfarmer09
The unofficial narrative is that F16 has been more right about Covid than wrong.
Infection_Ag11
AG
I'd just like to point out, despite all the hullabaloo this week, very little in the way of the scientific evidence has changed in the weeks since this thread was started. What has emerged is that there was an active effort to suppress concern that it could have come from a lab and downplay this to the public. A minority of experts saying the virus had hallmarks of an engineered virus has been the case all along, and as I've broken down in various threads most of these claims are either incorrect or embellished (such as the fusion cleavage site being wholly unique and novel).

What has happened this week is people who always wanted to believe it came from a lab (and it may have, I just believe that's much less likely based on the actual scientific data) are now claiming that it must have because certain individuals (most of whom wouldn't have any way of knowing where it actually came from anyway) didn't want that possibility talked about. That's a fallacy and, honestly, it all strikes me as just an attempt to avoid Trump getting any credit or boost in the polls for being "right". They wanted to continue robbing him of any possible credibility. The virus itself continues to have far more features of a natural virus than features potentially indicating lab alteration.

If it DID come from a lab, it most likely is still a natural virus that hasn't been modified and was just being studied and some of those handling contracted it in November 2019.
bones75
AG
Facts: 1.The NIH has funded gain of function research on corona viruses specifically carried on in the Wuhan lab. When the disease breaks out, emails show a desire to keep that information quiet. 2. Distinguished virologists in the field do not all discount this possibility (see paper by Angus Dalgleish and Sorensen- both respected virologists active in the field). 3. The main voices that have quickly discounted this possibility are WHO and Fauci.

Make your own conclusions.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Quote:

The NIH has funded gain of function research on corona viruses specifically carried on in the Wuhan lab.

We don't know that. It seems likely that the lab was conducting such research, and that Fauci and others suspected it at some point early in the pandemic, but no NIH grant has ever been approved for such a purpose in the Wuhan lab. That is a matter of public record and demonstrably true. If the lab was using NIH funding to conduct this research, they were doing so in violation of their grant agreement (and this lying).

Quote:

Distinguished virologists in the field do not all discount this possibility (see paper by Angus Dalgleish and Sorensen- both respected virologists active in the field).

That is true, but it has been the case all along. And again, most of their claims are being embellished by outside sources citing them. Their claims largely consist of stating how it's POSSIBLE it came from a lab, not that it did or many cases they even think it did.

Quote:

The main voices that have quickly discounted this possibility are WHO and Fauci.

That's correct, but it's clear from the emails and WHO documentation they suppressed this info for purposes other than actually knowing it to be true. They didn't want to create the perception that it COULD be true. Which makes this evidence not that the virus actually came from a lab but of malfeasance and manipulation towards the public.
coolerguy12
AG
Quote:

Which makes this evidence not that the virus actually came from a lab but of malfeasance and manipulation towards the public.

That's like my mechanic doing a brake job on my car and the next day I die in a car wreck due to failed brakes and he shreds every record of me ever being there. Sure it's not evidence that he is a fault, but it sure looks shady. And you're the investigator just saying, "nah, not worth looking into, guy just needed to clean up some file space"
Infection_Ag11
AG
Quote:

That's like my mechanic doing a brake job on my car and the next day I die in a car wreck due to failed brakes and he shreds every record of me ever being there.

It's more like shredding every record of you being there because the public perception that you MIGHT have been there could get the "wrong" guy elected President.

If the Wuhan lab was conducting gain of function research using NIH or other funding intended for other purposes, and even if this is how SARCoV2 came to be, the fault lies squarely with the Chinese and their researchers. The NIH helps fund international research efforts all the time and it has led to some breathtaking scientific achievements, so such activity is not inherently a bad thing. The action that made them and defenders in government look bad was the attempt to suppress discussion of this topic. That was when the blame shifted at least partially to them.

Now why would they do that? It seems to be far more likely that this was for political gain here and financial preservation intentionally, as opposed to a vast cover up of intentional involvement in the creation of such a virus. And because of this, I don't think there's much we can draw with respect to whether or not the virus actually came from that lab. This all seems like an effort to prevent public perception that Trump could be right about the Chinese, and to avoid angering the CCP. Those factors are in play even if the lab has nothing to do with it.
GAC06
AG
The director of the NIH admitted they have no clue whether their grant money was used for the intended purpose. I'd say if that money or money from our military helped fund what eventually led to the accidental or intentional release of the virus, they absolutely deserve some of the blame.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Quote:

I'd say if that money or money from our military helped fund what eventually led to the accidental or intentional release of the virus, they absolutely deserve some of the blame..

Then you are forced to argue they should never be giving grants to anyone, anywhere, ever on the basis that someone might lie about the funding utilization and it slip through the cracks. And scientific innovation both here and globally suddenly takes a huge it.
coolerguy12
AG
It's astonishing how nonchalant you are about being lied to by "nothing short of fantastic" Faucci. I'm sure that's all he lied about right? Oh wait he lied about masks too. But that's it. Nothing else. He really did it for the good of the country because we can't handle the truth. What a swell guy.
GAC06
AG
I'm fine with limiting grants to organizations we can trust and are transparent. Maybe not funding research that is easily translatable to bio weapons in a shady lab in our greatest geopolitical enemy nation. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Infection_Ag11
AG
coolerguy12 said:

It's astonishing how nonchalant you are about being lied to by "nothing short of fantastic" Faucci.

I mean, how am I supposed to behave? Should I be screeching from the rooftops and bleeding all over a keyboard like so many others? Is that somehow a more productive response?

Quote:

I'm sure that's all he lied about right?

But that's not really relevant to this discussion. It's a fact of public record no NIH grants have ever been given for that purpose.
GAC06
AG
But they don't know what they really funded. So maybe they did.
coolerguy12
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

coolerguy12 said:

It's astonishing how nonchalant you are about being lied to by "nothing short of fantastic" Faucci.

I mean, how am I supposed to behave? Should I be screeching from the rooftops and bleeding all over a keyboard like so many others? Is that somehow a more productive response?

Quote:

But that's not really relevant to this discussion. It's a fact of public record no NIH grants have ever been given for that purpose.

Yes the medical community should be calling out Faucci for his lies instead of trying to explain them away and excuse them. I guess I'm just old fashion in my view of "or tolerate those who do"
coolerguy12
AG
GAC06 said:

Buy Faucci said they didn't, and that guy is clean as a whistle, just ask him, he will tell you.
Infection_Ag11
AG
GAC06 said:

Sure, but Fauci can't be lying about that unless you propose a wild conspiracy theory that would amount to him committing treason and a host for other federal felonies and international human rights violations.
Infection_Ag11
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Quote:

Yes the medical community should be calling out Faucci for his lies instead of trying to explain them away and excuse them. I guess I'm just old fashion in my view of "or tolerate those who do"

But I am calling him out for what we know, he should not have gone along with the molding of a narrative for political purposes. That violated a host of ethical principles his profession is founded upon.
GAC06
AG
The simplest answer is that he helped suppress the lab origin story to cover his ass
Infection_Ag11
AG
GAC06 said:

The simplest answer is that he helped suppress the lab origin story to cover his ass

I think the simpler answer is he went along with the suppression as part of a larger political plot to hurt Trump, given how demonstrably prevalent such behavior was across the American landscape.

His own emails read like a man asking if this was possible and then being talked into helping suppress the possibility that it came from a lab, not one with personal knowledge of the events in the lab and formulating a plot himself.
GAC06
AG
I can buy that too. Still pretty despicable
Coby
AG
I appreciate what you're doing here. Trying to stay grounded in what we KNOW vs what it could potentially mean. Hard to know what to believe with all the obvious untruth out there. Much of it delivered by "experts."

Edit: removed commentary not helpful for this forum

B-1 83
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Quote:

I'd say if that money or money from our military helped fund what eventually led to the accidental or intentional release of the virus, they absolutely deserve some of the blame..

Then you are forced to argue they should never be giving grants to anyone, anywhere, ever on the basis that someone might lie about the funding utilization and it slip through the cracks. And scientific innovation both here and globally suddenly takes a huge it.
You are genuinely clueless about the nature of Chinese and the Chinese Communist Party. To lump them in with any other such "research party" is foolhardy and intellectually dishonest.
Infection_Ag11
AG
B-1 83 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Quote:

You are genuinely clueless about the nature of Chinese and the Chinese Communist Party.

I think it is you who doesn't understand how intertwined our economies and scientific endeavors are. At present, thousands and thousands of American and Chinese scientists operate in each other's countries or with each other's funding on numerous projects and this relationship has tremendously benefited your life in ways you likely wouldn't know about unless I told you. You use no less than 10 objects/products/services every day that are at least in part due to this relationship.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.