Pfizer #2 vaccine symptoms...

6,796 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got my 2nd dose on the 11th. The RN said "a lot of people are taking a couple of days off after #2." I didn't think much of it. Well, yesterday afternoon at work I became very fatigued, aches and spiked a fever. At home since then and staying home today. Motrin around the clock. Sweats all night when fever broke. A little better today. FYI. Oh and arm pain is much worse than #1.
hoosierAG
AG
Are you surprised by the reaction since you just had Covid? Or is that a false or no correlation? I thought I read if you had it your reaction may be nil or very slight but not sure.
Theblondewonder
AG
I received second Pfizer dose 1/4 and had chills and night sweats that evening. Couldn't sleep and took the next day off of work. No problems since then.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
hoosierAG said:

Are you surprised by the reaction since you just had Covid? Or is that a false or no correlation? I thought I read if you had it your reaction may be nil or very slight but not sure.
No. Heard of many people with similar with Pfizer. Not sure it's a bad thing since immunity developing. But - I've never had this type thing from any vaccine (flu etc) over the years so I was surprised.
Capitol Ag
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

hoosierAG said:

No. Heard of many people with similar with Pfizer. Not sure it's a bad thing since immunity developing. But - I've never had this type thing from any vaccine (flu etc) over the years so I was surprised.
I'm actually wondering if I do not get some sort of similar symptoms after the second dose if I will be disappointed as I want the immunity. Granted, everyone is different and some may feel nothing and still get the benefits of the vaccine.
Aust Ag
AG
Geez, wondering how my 85 yr old smoker Dad is going to take to his 2nd shot!

BTW, I can only imagine what you thought when you saw the packed street party in Tuscaloosa after the Bama win.
Drip99
AG
Did you have any of those symptoms after the first shot or just the sore arm?
PJYoung
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

hoosierAG said:

Yep same with me and the Moderna vaccine. I've never had any reactions to any vaccines over the years and that one (2nd shot) kicked my butt for about a day.

After the first shot I only had a sore arm.
Newoldarmy
AG
On the first shingles vaccine I got a pretty good flu for 24 hours with all the symptoms you describe. Terrible.

I was dreading the booster a while later, but it didn't bother me at all.
Fitch
AG
These reports leave me a little curious what immunologically(?) / biologically(?) is going on with these secondary shots after the first doses have gone to work. Is the spike protein really just an SOB that forces a hefty immune response with shot #2, or is that a feature of the mRNA vaccines, or something else?

Just idle thoughts from the observers gallery at the back of the line...
bigtruckguy3500
Was supposed to get my second shot yesterday. Decided to delay till Friday so I won't be miserable all day at work.
cisgenderedAggie
IIRC, nonclinical studies on vaccines with SARS and MERS showed severe immune responses to the point of disease enhancement in rats even when challenged with just recombinant spike protein. I have been wondering if the reported severity of side effects after the second dose are a similar process. On one hand, it is encouraging that it's a ***** but not dangerous. On the other, if this is what is happening, it makes me very hesitant about the prospect of not ensuring that people get the second dose as intended and demonstrated.
Fitch
AG
Certainly understandable, but I'd wager that if you're already motivated to get the vaccine you're gonna get it regardless of what malaise may accompany.

Taking it a step further, I think just making it broadly known what to expect helps facilitate social understanding/acceptance of the vaccine and cuts off "fake news" that may discourage some from getting it.
JB!98
AG
My brother got his second Pfizer dose on Monday. Felt fine until about noon yesterday. Fever, body aches, headache yesterday. Sent him a text to see if he is feeling better today. He said the first shot hurt like hell and the second didn't hurt as much. He is 40 and in good health.
AggieUSMC
AG
I had may second shot this morning. Pfizer. Same side effects as before. A few hours of jitters (as if I had several cups of coffee). Fine by the end of the day. Mild arm pain at the injection site. Arm pain will probably be slightly worse tomorrow but fine the next day.
DuncanAg
AG
I posted this before but don't think anyone ever responded. I actually have my Pfizer 2nd dose scheduled for tomorrow which is actually day 18 post 1st. They gave me a scheduling window of 17-19 days after the 1st.

I know the EUA states there is a 4 day grace to remain valid. Just wondering if others are getting the 2nd dose not on the 21st day?
bigtruckguy3500
DuncanAg said:

I posted this before but don't think anyone ever responded. I actually have my Pfizer 2nd dose scheduled for tomorrow which is actually day 18 post 1st. They gave me a scheduling window of 17-19 days after the 1st.

I know the EUA states there is a 4 day grace to remain valid. Just wondering if others are getting the 2nd dose not on the 21st day?
Most vaccines are approved to be given up to 4 days prior to scheduled due date. However most vaccines are also given a month apart or longer.

From what I remember, and from what I researched when I had to get people other vaccines in tight deadlines, you really want to separate the vaccines by at least enough time to get the initial antibody response to start dyeing down.

I haven't verified the info in these two graphs, and the first one seems a bit exaggerated, but basically a second challenge to the immune system, if too early, could potentially be neutralized by existing antibodies and not really pose enough of a challenge to the immune system to trigger the long term memory cells.

So, in short, to answer your question, if it was me, I'd rather go after 21 days than before. I am by no means an expert in this but I actually think 21 days is barely enough time to separate the vaccines. I'm pushing to day 24 as it's this Friday and because I don't want to be miserable at work during the week.

Perhaps our resident ID expert can chime in. Immunology was never my forte.

DuncanAg
AG
Thanks Bigtruck....this schedule was made by a major Texas Medical Center hospital that is in the thick of vaccine research. I'm going to ask them at my appointment today if this is still what they are scheduling or if I push out to the 21st day.
AggieUSMC
AG
Quote:

4 days on either side of the 21-day point. So there is an 8 day window for your second shot. So you can get it anywhere from day 17 to day 25 after your first shot.
Post removed:
by user
VKint
AG
No sxs at all here, some soreness in arm with shot 1 but none with 2nd. Coworker had 101 temp and chills for 24 hrs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
george07
AG
My wife got her second Pfizer shot 10 days ago. First one didn't cause any effects, second one made her have fatigue and aches for one evening, no fever.
chilimuybueno
AG
My wife had her second Pfizer shot last Thursday. Very sore arm for a couple of days. Beyond that she has been a little bit lethargic and sleeping in later than normal. No fever or chills.
FrioAg 00
AG
72 hours removed from my 2nd dose, finally starting to feel better. Had a pretty rough go on the first shot too. Not noticeably different.

I've had covid in the spring and probably been exposed several times, working on site at the hospital, all 4 kids in person school, etc.

The most unsettling symptom I had was big swelling in the lymph nodes in my armpit Im the side I got the shot. Visible and tender.

Switched arms for the second shot and it happened again, under the shot arm.

The Fall Guy
AG
More symptoms than any Vacinne I have heard of. Geeze
Ted Lasso
2nd pfizer vaccine for me was an awful experience. 103 fever, chills, aches, joint pain (for some reason i could hardly move both hips). Started about 8 hours post injection, and symptoms lasted for about 12 hours. Once fever stopped, took about 24 hours to be back to normal.

cc_ag92
AG
I feel sick for about 24 hours after the flu vaccine.Lots of people do. We just don't talk about it on TexAgs or Facebook because it's a known entity. This isn't so people are talking about it.

I felt completely normal after my first Covid vaccine.

bay fan
S
Capitol Ag said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

hoosierAG said:

I'm actually wondering if I do not get some sort of similar symptoms after the second dose if I will be disappointed as I want the immunity. Granted, everyone is different and some may feel nothing and still get the benefits of the vaccine.
Capital, do you work in health care? I know you are young and you mention a gym so I thought you were a personal trainer who isn't worried about Covid? Surprised you have already gotten it?
AustinAg2K
I had my first Moderna yesterday morning. Wasn't bad all day. Woke up this morning and could barely lift my arm. I've felt cold all day and now extremely tired. The arm pain is definitely from the vaccine. I'm not sure being tired and cold is. My wife likes the house cold and I didn't sleep well last night. Could be the vaccine though.
txaggie05
AG
This thread is really making me want to get the vaccine.
Capitol Ag
AG
bay fan said:

Capitol Ag said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

hoosierAG said:

Capital, do you work in health care? I know you are young and you mention a gym so I thought you were a personal trainer who isn't worried about Covid? Surprised you have already gotten it?
Good question and understandable given my prior posts. Nope. Haven't gotten the first dose yet. Just speaking hypothetically as I have seen quite a bit of news on the effects and that potentially having a fever after the 2nd dose is actually a good thing. Now, since I am technically immunosurpressed, my doctor wants me to get the vaccine. Also, I now teach in middle school and my employer wants all of us vaccinated. It's the lack of teachers that closes schools. When I will actually get the vaccine, I do not know. Some time between now and March.

Also, notice I have come down a bit on all of this. For instance, my stance on masks has taken a 180 recently. I am very laid back about it (not going to get mad at those who don't wear them-it's totally a personal choice), but see the benefits of limiting viral load. I also firmly believe we need to get as many as possible vaccinated ASAP. Which is why I have mentioned on here that even if people "cut in line" its still ultimately achieving the main goal. The more are vaccinated, the more we reach herd immunity and can fully open up. Maybe I'd be cutting line even though I am officially qualified as 1B and eligible. What I do like is that those in nursing homes are getting the vaccine through the facility, as my parents are. Mom and dad have had that first dose and they are in their 80's. That's a relief for sure.
TX05CCHH
AG
The vaccine side effects sound pretty aweful. However, I haven't seen any reports of any respiratory side effects like cough, difficulty breathing, or loss of the senses which are the trademarks of Covid 19. So, it sounds like it's a painful vaccine but worth it to avoid the detrimental effects of actually getting the virus.
DuncanAg
AG
Got 2nd dose around noon yesterday. Had arm pain almost immediately but otherwise fine. Midnight last night broke out in some of the worse bone rattling chills I have ever had. Checked my temp around 3am and it was 100.5F. Tylenol and back to sleep. Pretty zapped today with a headache and hopefully on the back side of this.

Would absolutely take the vaccine knowing this.

FrioAg 00
AG
5 days removed from second dose, feeling fantastic and ALL side effects gone. A couple crummy days is nothing.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
Got the first dose of the moderna vaccine on Friday of last week. About a couple hours ago I started feeling feverish (101.5) . Hoping this is just a delayed reaction to the vaccine, no other symptoms. Haven't had any major exposures since New Year's Day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.