Reports from the frontlines in NY

24,198 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mordred
Mordred
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dr. Craig Smith is the Chair of the Dept. of Surgery at Columbia. Every day he's been sending out an update on the COVID-19 situation at Columbia/NY. Not always fun to read, but the guy seems like a great doctor and an even better leader. The news may not be great, but his optimism in the face of adversity is also pretty inspiring.

Here's his update from 3/20:
Mordred
AG
Update from 3/21:
Cowboy bob
It's time to ban incoming flights from New York
Johnny Goodbull
AG
Thank you for posting these. Are they online somewhere? Where are you finding them?
archangelus2
AG
Thank you for posting.
Aggie Spirit
AG
Modred, Can you post a link to the site where those daily letters are posted? Thanks.
HeardAboutPerio
AG
Thanks for posting. Is it possible to track down the NYP updated guidelines on PPE? That could be useful given limited access anywhere.

Here's to your health and safety
aggiebrad94
AG
Quoting Lenin. Interesting choice.
aggiebrad94
AG
Would they assign positive testing health care workers who are able to care for other sick patients? Is that possible?
hoosierAG
AG
NY is obviously in real bad shape. The lack of PPE is horrific and they will soon be over run and and entire staffs infected.

Let hope they are the exception and not the rule (regardless, their density dynamic lends itself to that more than anyone else)
TexAg91
AG
Have not yet found the letters online, but here is a link to his profile. At least we know he is legit.

Dr. Craig Smith

President Clinton bypass surgery doctor
TexAg91
AG
Link to the letters:

Smith memos article
shertown04
AG
I'm pretty sure Italy has been doing that because they don't have a choice but to find a way to keep doctors and nurses working. I think HCW were nearly 10% of the cases there.
Ag Defense Rules
AG
Cowboy bob above is right. It's time to stop flights out of NY.

I read where they tried this in Northern Italy but many fled by train and presumably spread the virus elsewhere.
Not a Bot
AG
Some of the videos coming out of Italy show some staff not even wearing masks. Either they have it or they've already had it.

I know many people who would volunteer to take care of these patients while sick as long as they feel they are capable of performing up to the required standard and the risk of infecting a non-infected person is low. Hospitals will not let them do this unless there is a dire, desperate need.
jpd301
AG
HeardAboutPerio said:

Thanks for posting. Is it possible to track down the NYP updated guidelines on PPE? That could be useful given limited access anywhere.

https://mcusercontent.com/ecc5b4df67cc8f930a25e21ef/files/4d56b1a5-2bbf-4f83-a20c-5ba799dbb80f/Conserve_PPE_and_Other_Supplies_3.20.20.pdf
OldArmy71
AG
Agree. That has to be one of the most tone deaf rallying cries I have read in quite a while.
HeardAboutPerio
AG
jpd301 said:

HeardAboutPerio said:

https://mcusercontent.com/ecc5b4df67cc8f930a25e21ef/files/4d56b1a5-2bbf-4f83-a20c-5ba799dbb80f/Conserve_PPE_and_Other_Supplies_3.20.20.pdf

Greatly appreciated thank you!
DifferenceMaker Ag
"There are decades where millions are summarily slaughtered, and there are weeks when hundreds of thousands are summarily slaughtered."

--Lenin
Proposition Joe
Good grief people, he used a fitting quote, why does it matter who said it?

Its like people quoting De. Seuss and people bringing up how he drove his wife to suicide.
expresswrittenconsent
Proposition Joe said:

Good grief people, he used a fitting quote, why does it matter who said it?

Its like people quoting De. Seuss and people bringing up how he drove his wife to suicide.

Because it fits their prejudices about "new york".
cbr
AG
Lenin is much worse than hitler. Hitler had lots of quotes. Why not quote hitler?
TexAg91
AG
Speaking of tone deaf.... (Joe)
Thriller
AG
Let me get this right? We get some firsthand reports out of the hardest hit area in our country and people are hung up on the quote he chose?

If you have a political opinion, please keep it to the appropriate board for the sake of those who are just here to read and share news.
aggiebrad94
AG
Thriller said:

Let me get this right? We get some firsthand reports out of the hardest hit area in our country and people are hung up on the quote he chose?

If you have a political opinion, please keep it to the appropriate board for the sake of those who are just here to read and share news.
No one is hung up. He chose to quote Lenin. Many find that intersting. Do you often quote murderous leaders when making points?
UTExan
And Germany has banned public gatherings of more than 2 (two)!!!???
Angela Merkel's doctor is now infected.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8140257/Germany-ban-gatherings-TWO-people-nationwide-crackdown.html
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Cappy407
AG
Thanks for posting these. Almost like reading through an old war journal of a soldier on the frontlines.
Mordred
AG
For those asking, I'm getting these from the Columbia Surgery twitter account. I'll keep this thread updated daily as they post more.
Mordred
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Agree. That has to be one of the most tone deaf rallying cries I have read in quite a while.
Not sure how that reads like a rallying cry to you. It's more of a "holy **** you guys, this week has been crazy and may change things forever." The John Wooden quote was a rallying cry.
Seven Costanza
AG
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I predict alot of NYers fleeing the state. Be careful around any of these people. They will likely head South.
Mordred
AG
Today's update:

The "worried well" is a great descriptor.
Badace52
AG
Mordred said:

Today's update:

It is a commonly used phrase in medicine. Especially in the ER. We have a lot of very descriptive similar terms in medicine. Many of which are not quite so PC as that one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mordred
AG
Badace52 said:

Mordred said:

Today's update:

It is a commonly used phrase in medicine. Especially in the ER. We have a lot of very descriptive similar terms in medicine. Many of which are not quite so PC as that one.
I figured as much. Us computer guys have plenty of non-flattering phrases for the luddites and technically challenged as well.
94chem
Interesting choice to quote John G. Shedd.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.