Reports from the frontlines in NY

24,193 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mordred
Mordred
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today's update. More of a personal anecdote than an update on the situation. I'm sure a lot of doctors and medical personnel are feeling this way though.

Mordred
AG
More positive note today, and a discussion about "rationing" of care.

Pasquale Liucci
AG
This guy is one bad dude. Can't help but be amazed by his writing
Mordred
AG
Yesterday's update:

Todays. Good discussion on military style operations going on with the Field Hospitals:

plain_o_llama
Prayers up for these folks.

I'm starting to wonder if after this surge large hospital systems will attempt to reorganize for a time into parallel Covid and non-Covid subsystems. If we get reasonable antibody testing you might even be able assign personnel based on immunity.
Sq 17
hopefully places that are not yet seeing a surge in patients are working on a plan for when the surge comes.
hoosierAG
AG
Hard to fathom what is happening right now
WILDMAN95
AG
That dude knows how to lead and motivate. If you have only been skimming those letters, read thru that last paragraph of the 3/30 letter. Especially the last few sentences. Wow.
Mordred
AG
Another hopeful updated today:

plain_o_llama
Hopefully he will have an opportunity to write a book about this experience. Given his previous notes some possible titles might be:

Decades in weeks

Enemy inside the wire
insulator_king
AG
Could not figure out what NYP stood for. Finally found it.
New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center.

For anyone else who was puzzled.
Phat32
AG
The dude can write. And fix humans.
Mordred
AG
Yesterday's update. Interesting note that they aren't testing health care workers. I had kind of assumed they'd be pretty high priority already.

Mordred
AG
Today's:
UTExan
Two streams of thought emerged in reading his letter: admiration for those with skills and will to wage the battle and
Anger at the administration of the city's medical system because they were so unprepared despite being warned years in advance of this horrible, inevitable event.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
ABATTBQ11
AG
Mordred said:

Yesterday's update. Interesting note that they aren't testing health care workers. I had kind of assumed they'd be pretty high priority already.

Oh, if only defects in reality testing truly didn't survive exponential contagion. No one show him f16.
Mordred
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Mordred said:

Oh, if only defects in reality testing truly didn't survive exponential contagion. No one show him f16.
Not quite sure what you trying to say here.
Mordred
AG
Not encouraging math on vents here.

Mordred
AG
Sorry guys. Got a week long forced vacation so I couldn't keep this updated like I wanted.

Yesterday:
Mordred
AG
Really interesting point about Autopsies in Tuesday's update:

TXAggie2011
AG
The difference in tone between 4/3 and 4/13 is quite uplifting. Although, I'm sure he's engaging in some of the same "desperation" as he describes. But, still positive.

I think he makes a great point about high ventilator and/or ICU usage preventing a return to "normal" for certain departments. That has to be kept in mind as people discuss returning healthcare "back towards normalcy."
VaultingChemist
AG

So far 1 out of 100 New Yorkers have tested positive for Covid-19.
Phat32
AG
The dying alone is by far the worst part of this. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.
plain_o_llama
The daily updates are available here
Mordred
AG
yukmonkey said:

The dying alone is by far the worst part of this. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.
Agreed for the living and the dead.

Crazy as it sounds, makes me glad John Prine's wife got it so she was allowed to be by his side at the end.
Mordred
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

The difference in tone between 4/3 and 4/13 is quite uplifting. Although, I'm sure he's engaging in some of the same "desperation" as he describes. But, still positive.

I think he makes a great point about high ventilator and/or ICU usage preventing a return to "normal" for certain departments. That has to be kept in mind as people discuss returning healthcare "back towards normalcy."
Agreed. BTW, it was old so I didn't post it, but you'd also probably enjoy his update from Easter.
Mordred
AG
Today's update. Good news and awesome to hear there are no more PPE shortages:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.