n95s PPE and surgical mask

11,083 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 2PacShakur
Pelayo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will PM you, thank you
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pelayo
AG
Samuel E. Cronkowitz said:

I have some n95's that have been in my garage since Harvey. I don't know how many but i'd guess around 30-50. Some are still in unopened packaging, others have had the packaging opened but they're all unused.

They're yours if you want them. I'm in West Houston (i10/beltway).

Won't let me PM you

do you have an email I can respond to?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MW03
AG
Check here: https://www.artscow.com/masks

I don't know if n95 and kn95 is the same thing, but these are boxes of 100 masks for $200/box. They also have 100 piece boxes of 3-ply surgical masks for $65/box.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
per message in PM. The larger count plastic has been opened (masks unusued). Smaller count (2 count and 4 count (x2)) packaging is unopened i believe. Just FYI.

Yukon Cornelius
AG
Stop blaming "hoarders" Thats not the problem. The problem is manufacturing. Which is all done in China. People should have paid attention to the supply chain in January. I knew this was coming when China only purchased 50% of their typical oil purchases. Theoretically their manufacturing was down 50%. Less goods to the US. Then boom shortage.

Its not hoarders. Its politicians who have sold out our country to China to take our manufacturing from here to there. There was only ONE US company that made these masks a month ago.
Pelayo
AG
Samuel E. Cronkowitz said:

per message in PM. The larger count plastic has been opened (masks unusued). Smaller count (2 count and 4 count (x2)) packaging is unopened i believe. Just FYI.

PM'd you thank you
swc93
AG
Quote:

I found out one of my nurses went to HR to file a grievance
Wow. Nice. At least they know who to cull from the herd when the crisis abates.
Pelayo
AG
swc93 said:

Quote:

I found out one of my nurses went to HR to file a grievance
Wow. Nice. At least they know who to cull from the herd when the crisis abates.
lot's of things are coming out during this time of stress
VaultingChemist
AG
tmaggie50
AG
So are people saying it has been proven that the N-95 masks have ZERO effect on lowering your chances of catching the virus? I can't see how it could possibly have ZERO benefit
Bruce Almighty
AG
tmaggie50 said:

So are people saying it has been proven that the N-95 masks have ZERO effect on lowering your chances of catching the virus? I can't see how it could possibly have ZERO benefit

Yea and no. The average person doesn't wear them correctly, also you still have eyes and ears for the virus to get in to. The main problem though is shortage. ER workers who are getting high dose exposures need them more than some dude walking through HEB.
Signel
AG
I was on the CISA DHS call today, and the response is for all health providers to contact their TDEM EOC regional contact. The feds will be distributing PPE through the Emergency Services at state levels.
Pelayo
AG
Signel said:

I was on the CISA DHS call today, and the response is for all health providers to contact their TDEM EOC regional contact. The feds will be distributing PPE through the Emergency Services at state levels.
they are taking a while.

Waiting on packages from several Texags posters.
FamousAgg
Someone in Houston giving masks to healthcare facilities only.

Donating 3m n95 Respirator mask!!
https://houston.craigslist.org/hab/d/houston-donating-3m-n95-respirator-mask/7094580139.html
Pelayo
AG
Still in need of help, exhausted every resource. We are in need of gowns and n95s, Appreciate any help we can get. Can send drivers wherever
Blackstreet
AG
Pelayo,
Why are N95 masks needed for patients who are not on ventilators, bipap, etc if it's not airborne? It seems we are burning through N95 for unnecessarily. If it's droplet transmitted, why wouldn't surgical masks with other PPE suffice? And we appreciate what you are doing. Hang in.
TSUAggie
What's your location?
Pelayo
AG
Blackstreet said:

Pelayo,
Why are N95 masks needed for patients who are not on ventilators, bipap, etc if it's not airborne? It seems we are burning through N95 for unnecessarily. If it's droplet transmitted, why wouldn't surgical masks with other PPE suffice? And we appreciate what you are doing. Hang in.
There is still concern about spread by aerosol. Much of my staff won't enter a room or collect nasopharyngeal samples without a n95 gown glasses. We are doing way above what is recommended by authorities and it's just not enough for most staff.
Ragoo
AG
What about the semiconductor space? Should be a lot at various companies in Austin.
Blackstreet
AG
Is the concern coming from the individuals working? I think it's been hammered home quite a bit that it's not airborne or maybe I'm missing info somewhere that "it might be airborne"? Again, thanks for all.
longeryak
Yukon Cornelius said:

Stop blaming "hoarders" Thats not the problem. The problem is manufacturing. Which is all done in China. People should have paid attention to the supply chain in January. I knew this was coming when China only purchased 50% of their typical oil purchases. Theoretically their manufacturing was down 50%. Less goods to the US. Then boom shortage.

Its not hoarders. Its politicians who have sold out our country to China to take our manufacturing from here to there. There was only ONE US company that made these masks a month ago.

WSJ had a piece on the various issues a few days ago. https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-tariffs-leave-the-u-s-short-on-vital-medical-supplies-11584551602
Ol Jock 99
AG
So my wife and I did a thing and now it's going viral.

https://www.facebook.com/519356880/posts/10156921638421881/?d=n
Aggie1205
AG
A couple of weeks ago there were some at a Parker Building Supply location. For those who can, check smaller town hardware stores and look in the construction safety supply bays. These stores might have some in stock. Often they have planograms that are recommended by the coop like Ace or Do It Best that might include masks.
Ag_of_08
AG
Pelayo said:

hypeiv said:

Doesn't say on the box but I did just notice it says that it has Limitation P "NIOSH does not evaluate respirators as surgical masks". Also its a pack of 10 but I have already opened it and used 5 of them when applying pesticides so it might not be the best source but more of a last resort. I wasn't hording these for the virus just part of my personal supply for when I am working with chemicals. I just figured I probably won't need them for awhile and if they could go to better use I would be willing to give them up.
I really appreciate the offer but will have to pass. I found out one of my nurses went to HR to file a grievance over lack of CDC recommended mask and ppe so I better stick with a known product.

Tell her welcome to the rest of our world. If she doesn't feel capable of continuing her job under current conditions, goodbye.

I'm sorry, I'm in a field at just as much risk, and we're lucky the bossman got us some bleach, and ome mask each to use for the next week or two minimum. I'm so allergic to bleach it's nearly put me in the hospital a couple times btw...
insulator_king
AG
People worrying about something that has less than 0.3% probability of serious illness.

The VA I work at started rationing them last week, because people were reading the fear-mongering about rise in cases and using them like candy.

I don't have any N95 masks at all. Never bought them even though most preparedness sites highly recommended them years ago.

Another glaring weakness of the Just In Time process. It has little surge capability and virtually no resiliency, let alone robustness. All of which of course require resources dedicated to them.
PerpetualLurker
Pelayo, saw this on Mark Cuban's twitter

https://www.projectn95.com/

Hopefully this site will help. Know nothing about it other than I saw it on my feed.

Pelayo
AG
Thank you I submitted a request
jj9000
AG
Pelayo said:

Thank you I submitted a request
PM OA1.

He is good people.

See thread:

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/3101519
TxAg05
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman
After 9-11 the federal government funneled hundreds of billions of dollars to state and local governments to spend on homeland security related improvements ...

Local police departments promptly bought a lot of ridiculous tacticool gear and other trivial items with that federal money.

Now we're up **** creek and starving for something as simple and cheap as a stockpile of N-95 masks ...
Ol Jock 99
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

After 9-11 the federal government funneled hundreds of billions of dollars to state and local governments to spend on homeland security related improvements ...

Local police departments promptly bought a lot of ridiculous tacticool gear and other trivial items with that federal money.

Now we're up **** creek and starving for something as simple and cheap as a stockpile of N-95 masks ...
I have but one blue star to give, and I give it to you.
2PacShakur
AG
fullback44 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

During WW2, we had factories making bullets and bombs. Can we not do that today? I just find it hard to believe that we can't figure out a way to make more masks.
One of the republican congressman on Fox News the other night said that a few years back someone in congress pushed through a law saying it was illegal to make N95 mask in the US? I have no idea if this is true but if this later comes out as true I can see a very very very pissed off population ...

I agree, our factories here should be able to make them..

Not true. 3M has a factory making them in South Dakota.
2PacShakur
AG
jagvocate said:

Let's think outside of the box:

How could we sterilize respirators for re-use? Any options at all?

UV light?
jagvocate
AG
2PacShakur said:

jagvocate said:

Let's think outside of the box:

How could we sterilize respirators for re-use? Any options at all?

UV light?

A damn good start! It ain't gonna be the way it used to be

TxAg05
AG
Other sources also say can be done in oven or over a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Nice link from Stanford.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.