n95s PPE and surgical mask

11,120 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 2PacShakur
jagvocate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's think outside of the box:

How could we sterilize respirators for re-use? Any options at all?

Not a Bot
AG
The good news is that more data seems to indicate primarily droplet transmission instead of aerosol. If this data holds true across more studies it means the N95 will not be necessary unless the droplets become aerosolized (patient on BiPAP, bronchoscopy, intubation). Right now the recommendation is still N95 until more data comes in.

Regular surgical masks could do the trick if droplet is primary transmission. Hopefully this will prove to be true. Would ease the strain on a lot of medical facilities. We actually seem to have plenty of surgical masks at the moment.
Pelayo
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Your Uber driver picked up 50 N95 masks from me. He's on his way back. Good luck on finding more.
Thank you!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pelayo
AG
Moxley said:

The good news is that more data seems to indicate primarily droplet transmission instead of aerosol. If this data holds true across more studies it means the N95 will not be necessary unless the droplets become aerosolized (patient on BiPAP, bronchoscopy, intubation). Right now the recommendation is still N95 until more data comes in.

Regular surgical masks could do the trick if droplet is primary transmission. Hopefully this will prove to be true. Would ease the strain on a lot of medical facilities. We actually seem to have plenty of surgical masks at the moment.
I bet that will be the case. Surgical mask are short as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Goodest Poster
AG
Pelayo said:

Moxley said:

Was privy to some discussions this am. It looks as though very soon it will be decided that surgical masks will be sufficient. Hope so. Despite being in short supply as well, the supply chain for those is way more robust than for N95.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Surgical masks will work...if you have them. Doc Jock's practice has none. effing horders.
BrandoC
AG
You will be fine, my gosh.
Pelayo
AG
jftx04 said:

Pelayo said:

Moxley said:

Was privy to some discussions this am. It looks as though very soon it will be decided that surgical masks will be sufficient. Hope so. Despite being in short supply as well, the supply chain for those is way more robust than for N95.
that would be awesome, once official.
Shiner Bock
VA hospitals are postponing elective non urgent surgical procedures to maintain PPE reserves
VaultingChemist
AG
If there already is a shortage of all masks, how are we going to be able to handle the eventual outbreaks of coronavirus in Texas?
Pelayo
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Your Uber driver picked up 50 N95 masks from me. He's on his way back. Good luck on finding more.
He dropped them off at our clinics about an hour ago. Thank you again! Aggie network is greatness.

As for finding more, one day at a time. Swimmerbabe's contact wanted to wholesale a large quantity, more than we can buy.

TRADUCTOR
jagvocate said:

Try the microwave for 3 minutes if no metallic parts. Sure a Dr on the board can access a study for scrutiny of the 3 minutes cause that is POMA
fullback44
AG
jagvocate said:

I would suggest something like this maybe (just don't throw them away)

Gently Wash them in hot water with light soap

Gently Rinse them in warm/hot water

Place Them somewhere to air dry (outside on a hot day - maybe say on cookie sheets)

Place them in an oven at say 200 F for 30 min to make sure the cleaned mask are sterile (maybe even higher temps depending on what temp the rubber straps can handle)

Bruce Almighty
AG
During WW2, we had factories making bullets and bombs. Can we not do that today? I just find it hard to believe that we can't figure out a way to make more masks.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

During WW2, we had factories making bullets and bombs. Can we not do that today? I just find it hard to believe that we can't figure out a way to make more masks.

In the 1940s, speed of production/transportation was measured in weeks and months. We are about 8 days in.
fullback44
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

One of the republican congressman on Fox News the other night said that a few years back someone in congress pushed through a law saying it was illegal to make N95 mask in the US? I have no idea if this is true but if this later comes out as true I can see a very very very pissed off population ...

I agree, our factories here should be able to make them..
TRADUCTOR
fullback44 said:

jagvocate said:

I would suggest something like this maybe (just don't throw them away)

Gently Wash them in hot water with light soap

Gently Rinse them in warm/hot water

Place Them somewhere to air dry (outside on a hot day - maybe say on cookie sheets)

Place them in an oven at say 200 F for 30 min to make sure the cleaned mask are sterile (maybe even higher temps depending on what temp the rubber straps can handle)

I'm hungry now
RCR06
AG
I think more than anything manufacturing is rarely done in the U.S. anymore. Most things are made overseas because its cheaper. I don't know specifically how they make these, but if we don't have factories already making them in the U.S. it will take a while for this to happen. Getting the equipment and materials, then training people to make them. Again not difficult, but time consuming if equipment and materials have to be brought in from overseas. Assuming the equipment that they use to make them is already built and ready to be shipped. I imagine any available were probably being snatched up a couple months ago when other parts of the world were going through this.
Tailgate88
AG
Pelayo said:

VaultingChemist said:

He dropped them off at our clinics about an hour ago. Thank you again! Aggie network is greatness.

As for finding more, one day at a time. Swimmerbabe's contact wanted to wholesale a large quantity, more than we can buy.

Seems like there are enough Docs and medical professionals on TexAgs that could go in to buy a large quantity of them. How many do they want to sell and how much? (I don't need any but I bet there are many on here who do.)
VaultingChemist
AG
Pelayo said:

VaultingChemist said:

Great! Hope he gave you the Lysol wipes I sent.
Pelayo
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Pelayo said:

VaultingChemist said:

Seems like there are enough Docs and medical professionals on TexAgs that could go in to buy a large quantity of them. How many do they want to sell and how much? (I don't need any but I bet there are many on here who do.)
He didn't say. I said I would take up to 10K and that wasn't enough.
Pelayo
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Pelayo said:

VaultingChemist said:

Great! Hope he gave you the Lysol wipes I sent.
Yes sir.
Pelayo
AG
welp we've had our first presumptive positive.
Reginald Cousins
S
Pelayo said:

FamousAgg
law-apt-3g said:

jagvocate said:

Try the microwave for 3 minutes if no metallic parts. Sure a Dr on the board can access a study for scrutiny of the 3 minutes cause that is POMA

Nuking them will only cause a super virus, would not recommend...
FamousAgg
Pelayo said:

What is your practice and where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?
aggiepaintrain
AG
lots on ebay , prices are around $7 a mask
high but better than nothing I guess
FJB
Pelayo
AG
Denton Co.
Baron von Bulsh
Pelayo said:

Denton Co.

We had our first presumptive positive last night at my facility in Galveston county. Stressful times ahead, I'm sure.

On the other thread that got zapped, you said you thought a national lockdown may be coming? Is that hunch or are you hearing something?

Pelayo
AG
I have no special knowledge whatsoever. Just gauging the political temperature
Baron von Bulsh
Okay, thanks for the response.
VaultingChemist
AG
Pelayo said:

Sorry to hear that. Concerning the reuse of masks....

Quote:

Disposable masks and respirators do not lend themselves to reuse because they work by trapping harmful particles inside the mesh of fibers of which they are made. This hazardous buildup cannot be cleaned out or disinfected without damaging the fibers or other components of the device such as the straps or nose clip, the committee found. Moreover, the committee could not identify any simple modifications to the manufacturing of the devices that would permit reuse, or any changes that would dispense with the need to test the fit of respirators to ensure a wearer is fully protected.

However, the following steps would allow a person to reuse a disposable N95 respirator if necessary. A protective covering such as a medical mask or a clear plastic face shield should be worn over the respirator to protect it from surface contamination. The respirator should be carefully stored between uses, and the wearer should wash his hands before and after handling it and the device used to shield it. These steps are intended for reuse of a respirator by a single person.
Have you found anymore masks?
Pelayo
AG
Not yet. PM is going to work on it in am.
Pelayo
AG
desperate here for more n95s. Staff is about to riot.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
I have some n95's that have been in my garage since Harvey. I don't know how many but i'd guess around 30-50. Some are still in unopened packaging, others have had the packaging opened but they're all unused.

They're yours if you want them. I'm in West Houston (i10/beltway).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.