Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,008 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
jeffdjohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems like we are living through what would happen if the 1918 Spanish Flu meets 2020 modern medicine / epidemiology. I can't help but be optimistic that this problem will be solved. Here is another study on the way:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/these-drugs-don-t-target-coronavirus-they-target-us

""The virus can't live by itself, right? It needs our genes and proteins in order to live and to replicate." Camostat mesylate is one of several candidate drugs that block those interactions. They don't target the virus, but us, the host."

"First, a protein on the viral surface called the spike attaches to a receptor on the human cell called ACE2. Then, another human protein, TMPRSS2, cleaves the spike protein, allowing the virus to fuse with the cell and start to replicate inside it. Camostat mesylate blocks TMPRSS2; in the Cell paper, molecular biologist Stefan Phlmann of the German Primate Center and other researchers showed the drug kept SARS-CoV-2 from infecting lung cells in the lab."
BiochemAg97
AG
LawHall88 said:

Good to get more vaccines in trial, but they won't be the first going to phase 1 and it is a long road from phase 1 to approved.

And there are a lot of risks with fast tracking a vaccine. If we push it out there and it ends up not working or ends up having some bad side effects, you can do more harm than good and feed the antivax community with more reasons not to be vaccinated.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

LawHall88 said:

Good to get more vaccines in trial, but they won't be the first going to phase 1 and it is a long road from phase 1 to approved.

And there are a lot of risks with fast tracking a vaccine. If we push it out there and it ends up not working or ends up having some bad side effects, you can do more harm than good and feed the antivax community with more reasons not to be vaccinated.
I totally agree. I think it will be a better bet to get some type of pharmaceutical therapy that is very effective now and hopefully have a vaccine by fall of 21. If it causes lots of side effects or deaths itself the anti vax morons will use that to no end.
Reveille
AG
Today's update

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2658338977782376/?sfnsn=mo
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Swollen Thumb
AG
Thanks so much for doing these. I read every single one and my wife now asks for the daily rundown from the "Aggie doc". Just wanted you to know your efforts are appreciated!!
Reveille
AG
Swollen Thumb said:

Thanks so much for doing these. I read every single one and my wife now asks for the daily rundown from the "Aggie doc". Just wanted you to know your efforts are appreciated!!

Thank you very much! Hope it helps!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maca1028
Same from mine! Three days in a row she's asked, "What did your TexAgs doctor friend say today?"
Keep up the good work Doc!
BobSacamano
AG
What do you suggest we have on hand in case we contract Covid-19? For example, any OTC medicine that might provide some relief for non-hospitalization cases?

Just want to be prepared. Thank you so much, doc!

Jackal99
AG
maca1028 said:

Same from mine! Three days in a row she's asked, "What did your TexAgs doctor friend say today?"

Mine did too. Then she started following you on Facebook and got the updates for herself. And then my usefulness decreased a little bit more.
Reveille
AG
BobSacamano said:

What do you suggest we have on hand in case we contract Covid-19? For example, any OTC medicine that might provide some relief for non-hospitalization cases?

Just want to be prepared. Thank you so much, doc!

Go back and look at one of my earlier updates on supplements that may help protect you since they are zinc ionophores!

Green tea and Quercetin
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I've heard of people using steam vaporizers with success at giving a little relief of symptoms. Any that you would recommend? Seems like a ton out there.

Reminds me of growing up in the 70s-80s.... Vicks and a humidifier were mom's go to lol
88planoAg
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

I've heard of people using steam vaporizers with success at giving a little relief of symptoms. Any that you would recommend? Seems like a ton out there.

Reminds me of growing up in the 70s-80s.... Vicks and a humidifier were mom's go to lol

Might want to ask here. He said he used one.
https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3103752
Aggie521
AG
Jackal99 said:

maca1028 said:

Mine did too. Then she started following you on Facebook and got the updates for herself. And then my usefulness decreased a little bit more.

Same here! I update my wife every night after reading doc's posts. The work doc is doing and the selflessness he has to take time and update anyone who will read is creating a peace of mind in so many people. You're a blessing to so many people right now doc! Gig'em!
Reveille
AG
Aggie521 said:

Jackal99 said:

maca1028 said:

Same here! I update my wife every night after reading doc's posts. The work doc is doing and the selflessness he has to take time and update anyone who will read is creating a peace of mind in so many people. You're a blessing to so many people right now doc! Gig'em!

That's good to hear!
MouthBQ98
AG
You can still order it online.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Any truth to the story on social media that ivermectin is killing the virus in tests? I sure hope so because I took a bath in that stuff working cows on Tuesday.
PPlayboy87
AG
2 questions for the docs:

1. For typical store bought items (e.g. box of cereal, bottle of something) how long does it need to sit out before it should be considered "safe?"

2. Assuming a person is wearing a surgical/procedure mask, is it all right to leave it out to "disinfect?" If so, how many days should that be done? I'm not sure it matters since you are wearing it to protect others and not you, but curious if we should try to rotate if we have more than one.
greenband
AG
Blanco Jimenez said:

Any truth to the story on social media that ivermectin is killing the virus in tests? I sure hope so because I took a bath in that stuff working cows on Tuesday.

More information - looks promising but need to wait on human trials.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-04/mu-pcd040320.php

• Ivermectin is an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug that has also been shown to be effective in vitro against a broad range of viruses including HIV, Dengue, Influenza and Zika virus
  • Australian Scientists have shown that an anti-parasitic drug already available around the world can kill the virus within 48 hours.
  • Scientists from Monash University in Melbourne showed that a single dose of the drug, Ivermectin, could stop the SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture - effectively eradicating all genetic material of the virus within 48 hours.
  • The next steps are to determine the correct human dosage - ensuring the doses shown to effectively treat the virus in the test tube are safe levels for humans.
  • The use of Ivermectin to combat COVID-19 depends on pre-clinical testing and clinical trials, with funding urgently required to progress the work.
RC_57
AG
So I wanted to post something I'm watching on Tucker Carlsons show now

Dr Jacob Granville, Bioengineer. & Immunologist.
Says they're testing the neutralization of their therapeutic with military, Gates foundation , Charles River laboratory.

Says it works within 5 to 10 days to protect the patient vs the 6 to 7 weeks of a vaccine.

This may or probably is one of many but sounded promising.

Said to go to Centivax.com for info
Reveille
AG
Today's update

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2659224757693798&id=1998386763777604?sfnsn=mo
jakester03
AG
Hey Doc, how much quercitren and zinc do you recommend for healthy 38 yr olds? Also do you recommend supplements for kids?
TexAg91
AG
Reveille said:

Go back and look at one of my earlier updates on supplements that may help protect you since they are zinc ionophores!

Green tea and Quercetin
Should I take Quercetin and/or zinc now, or save it for if / when I get the virus?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Reveille said:

Today's update

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2659224757693798&id=1998386763777604?sfnsn=mo

How likely is it for one to be exposed walking into a store after someone that is asymptomatic provided you wash your hands?

I walked into a liquor store only to find out that the lady walking out 30-60s before me was harboring people from Louisiana and shouldn't have left the house. I haven't come within 6-12 feet from anyone who doesn't live in my house but the aerosol thing is something that concerns me. My rational brain says that me walking though the path of someone that is someone who is a secondary contact and didn't cough is at worst is low risk *(when the employees mentioned that I doubled up on hand sanitizer).

Im tempted to start wearing my PAPR in public regardless...
BSD
AG
TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Green tea and Quercetin
Should I take Quercetin and/or zinc now, or save it for if / when I get the virus?

I have the same question. I'm 44 with a history of dilated cardiomyopathy and LBBB (I've gotten better with a BiV pacer and meds) so I'm pretty anxious about all this and loaded up on supplements just in case.
Reveille
AG
jakester03 said:

Hey Doc, how much quercitren and zinc do you recommend for healthy 38 yr olds? Also do you recommend supplements for kids?

For a 38 y/o I would take 1g of Quercetin twice per day and 1 zinc pill any strength.

While the vitamins are likely safe for children they rarely have serious complications so no need taking them in children.

Children have a very strong inate immune system which we now believe is what protects us from serious disease.
AgsMyDude
AG
Reveille said:

jakester03 said:

For a 38 y/o I would take 1g of Quercetin twice per day and 1 zinc pill any strength.

While the vitamins are likely safe for children they rarely have serious complications so no need taking them in children.

Children have a very strong inate immune system which we now believe is what protects us from serious disease.

Any multivitamin recommendations for someone in that same age range? Maybe something that includes good zinc/vitamin D and C levels?

Love your posts, always very informative!
Reveille
AG
TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Green tea and Quercetin

I am taking it now in an attempt to slow down viral replication as soon as I get exposed. But I am exposed to suck patients daily.

I plan to increase amount of Quercetin and Green tea if I feel sick or start coughing. The goal is to prevent hospitalization.
Reveille
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Reveille said:

Today's update

How likely is it for one to be exposed walking into a store after someone that is asymptomatic provided you wash your hands?

I walked into a liquor store only to find out that the lady walking out 30-60s before me was harboring people from Louisiana and shouldn't have left the house. I haven't come within 6-12 feet from anyone who doesn't live in my house but the aerosol thing is something that concerns me. My rational brain says that me walking though the path of someone that is someone who is a secondary contact and didn't cough is at worst is low risk *(when the employees mentioned that I doubled up on hand sanitizer).

Where you or was she wearing a mask? If so the risk is probably very minimal. If neither is wearing a mask probably minimal not very minimal!
Reveille
AG
BSD said:

TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Green tea and Quercetin

I have the same question. I'm 44 with a history of dilated cardiomyopathy and LBBB (I've gotten better with a BiV pacer and meds) so I'm pretty anxious about all this and loaded up on supplements just in case.

You are definitely higher risk. For you I would be more aggressive this is what l take since I am high risk being a healthcare Worker.

Vitamin C 1g per day, Quercetin 1g twice per day, Green Tea 1 per day, Zinc 50mg per day and melatonin 5 to 10mg per day
Reveille
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Reveille said:

jakester03 said:

Any multivitamin recommendations for someone in that same age range? Maybe something that includes good zinc/vitamin D and C levels?

Love your posts, always very informative!

Would take Vitamin C but not Vitamin D

Vitamin D may have some properties to help prevent you from getting ill but if you get sick it has the potential to increase cytokinie storm so unless you are deficient I would consider holding it. I discussed it in a previous blog.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Reveille said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Reveille said:

Today's update

Where you or was she wearing a mask? If so the risk is probably very minimal. If neither is wearing a mask probably minimal not very minimal!
No masks on her or me. I waited in my car until I saw nobody in the store aside from employees before I entered so I could maintain my distance. The cashiers were freaking out and I asked them if she coughed but they said no... They were just sanitizing everything she touched.

I soaked everything I bought in 99% isopropanol and then wiped it down with Clorox wipes before I brought it into the garage. Unfortunately, I found out that it takes 4 minutes to kill stuff with Clorox and 99% isn't very effective.

I was mostly concerned by the lingering nature of aerosols. I agree that is minimal risk. From now on I'll definitely wear at the minimum a p100.
Reveille
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Reveille said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Reveille said:

Today's update

No masks on her or me. I waited in my car until I saw nobody in the store aside from employees before I entered so I could maintain my distance. The cashiers were freaking out and I asked them if she coughed but they said no... They were just sanitizing everything she touched.

I soaked everything I bought in 99% isopropanol and then wiped it down with Clorox wipes before I brought it into the garage. Unfortunately, I found out that it takes 4 minutes to kill stuff with Clorox and 99% isn't very effective.

I was mostly concerned by the lingering nature of aerosols. I agree that is minimal risk. From now on I'll definitely wear at the minimum a p100.

I would say you should be fine. Not much exposure there!
TexAg91
AG
Reveille said:

TexAg91 said:

Reveille said:

Green tea and Quercetin

I am taking it now in an attempt to slow down viral replication as soon as I get exposed. But I am exposed to suck patients daily.

I plan to increase amount of Quercetin and Green tea if I feel sick or start coughing. The goal is to prevent hospitalization.

Thanks, sounds like a good strategy. Think I'll do the same, even if I am not (knowingly) around sick folks. Appreciate your time and wisdom.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Thanks that definitely helps manage my anxiety.

I really appreciate what you and your fellow professionals are doing day in and day out.
clintaggie04
AG
What is your opinion on "cleaning" groceries? I'm talking about things that I can't just leave out in the sun. If possible, what do you recommend for items in plastic or cans (yogurt, lunch meat, can goods, bread, etc) and what do you recommend for fresh produce?
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.