Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,485 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
bmac_aggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gave Doc a 5 star review as well
74OA
AG
Doc Reveille yesterday: "We have some very positive news also! The combination of hydroxychloroquine and zithromax combination is starting to be used widely in many trials and reports are still very encouraging. Early reports are now saying that we have yet to see a patient on this combination require a ventilator. This is very early but still encouraging. If can slow down the amount of critical patients and deaths, this virus will just become a 2 wk netflix binge. And contrary to a doctor on CNN this is not a highly dangerous drug that has not been tested. He is right in that it has limited testing with COVID but it has been out for 65 years and we have tremendous experience with many other diseases. Yes, it has many side effects as I have pointed out previously. Some are considered serious but they are not common and if you are positive for COVID-19 in my opinion the benefits probably outweigh the risks. Certainly, if it is available I will definitely be using it in my patients, family or even myself. There is also a trial started in healthcare workers to see if it prevents the virus. So that should be interesting news, if it does and we can protect the healthcare workers this would be a huge breakthrough in getting things back to normal."

Fantastic news!!!!
TacosaurusRex
Rachel 98 said:

Does anyone know if hospitals are having a shortage of surgical masks? I know they aren't protective like the N95s are, but I thought they could potentially be useful to have infected patients wear. I work at a veterinary hospital and we have several unopened boxes.

Hey Rachel, I recieved this email earlier from one of my associations. I know its geared toward the construction industry, but it talks about supplies needed and where you can drop them off. I apologize for the poor quality, but this was the fastest way to spread the information.

"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
FrecklesDad
AG
Consumer Lab.com is a great resource in researching supplements.
Reveille
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Gave Doc a 5 star review as well
Thank you!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kool
AG
I was just on a CMS/FDA teleconference for providers. The FDA just approved of a self-administered nasal (not nasopharyngeal) swab for Covid-19. It will be interesting to see how this gets marketed, and to whom, and what precautions will be taken for delivery and transport of this test. I am not exactly thrilled about it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tailgate88
AG
Kool said:

I was just on a CMS/FDA teleconference for providers. The FDA just approved of a self-administered nasal (not nasopharyngeal) swab for Covid-19. It will be interesting to see how this gets marketed, and to whom, and what precautions will be taken for delivery and transport of this test. I am not exactly thrilled about it.
My understanding is the great benefit to this test is someone can self-administer and therefore no PPE has to be used by the person giving the test. That seems like a huge benefit. Why are you not thrilled? This is ah honest question, I'm not a medical professional but just want to understand.
Phat32
AG
Probably because dumbasses will slather their dirty 'rona hands all over the packaging.
Complete Idiot
Tailgate88 said:

Kool said:

My understanding is the great benefit to this test is someone can self-administer and therefore no PPE has to be used by the person giving the test. That seems like a huge benefit. Why are you not thrilled? This is ah honest question, I'm not a medical professional but just want to understand.
I think his concerns were in his post - "what precautions will be taken for delivery and transport of this test"

Concerned about the handling of materials used for the test and how the test results are transported. Currently, I believe tests are administered by those trained in the medical field and so they are better at handling and disposing of the items used in the test.
Kool
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Tailgate88 said:

Kool said:

I think his concerns were in his post - "what precautions will be taken for delivery and transport of this test"

Concerned about the handling of materials used for the test and how the test results are transported. Currently, I believe tests are administered by those trained in the medical field and so they are better at handling and disposing of the items used in the test.
Yup. One concern will be over-testing. Another concern would be false negatives. The virus seems to be highly concentrated within the nasopharynx. That is not an easy site to access. Back in the old days, before Covid-19, I used to scope tons of people every day. Accessing the nasopharynx is not always very easy. And it certainly isn't comfortable. Even when I would spray Afrin followed by lidocaine into their noses (definitely verboten now). Putting a swab into your nose is very noxious. The natural reflex will be to pull away. So, overutilization, false negatives, and, of course, transport and processing of contaminated specimens are all of concerns to me. I am not saying that the kits should not be allowed, just that there are some concerns I would have.
alittleright
My understanding is that these will be used at the drive up test centers. Patient is handed test, opens swabs puts into the container and hands back to the person at the drive through. Purpose is to reduce the amount of PPE required at test centers so it can be used in hospitals, clinics etc....this was according to the town hall with Pres Trump
Kool
AG
alittleright said:

My understanding is that these will be used at the drive up test centers. Patient is handed test, opens swabs puts into the container and hands back to the person at the drive through. Purpose is to reduce the amount of PPE required at test centers so it can be used in hospitals, clinics etc....this was according to the town hall with Pres Trump
Gotcha, thanks. That helps alleviate one concern. The webinar today said it was based on about 600 patients, and that the correlation between nasopharyngeal swabs and these self administered swabs was good. I just hope people don't have a lot of false negatives and consider themselves free of disease and let down their guard. It was very interesting that there was a very poor correlation between the oral swabs and nasopharyngeal swabs, again per the webinar. Everything in the nasopharynx is eventually pushed into the nasal cavity via cilia and normal mucosal clearing, so it seems odd that a properly performed oral swab would correlate so poorly. Perhaps people were swabbing the tongue and not really getting to the posterior pharyngeal wall, for fear of eliciting a gag reflex and because of patients' anatomy. Still waiting on my test kits from LabCorp and from Quest. At this point, as I am almost exclusively doing telemedicine, it's probably just as well.
buckyball
AG
In case this hasn't been posted: Surgical masks as good as respirators for flu and respiratory virus protection[url=https://bluejeans.com/887109766][/url]

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190903134732.htm

Please ignore the bluejeans link; for some reason I can't remove it.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Apologies if this has already been addressed, but do we have any concrete assurances from the medical community that people who have fully recovered from Covid-19 are (or are not) susceptible to contracting the illness again, be it the same virus or a known strain of the virus? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information floating around about this. Thank you.
Rachel 98
AG
Thank you Taco! We are meeting tomorrow to discuss all of this and this sounds like a very convenient way to get the help to those who need it.
Gary79Ag
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but do we have any concrete assurances from the medical community that people who have fully recovered from Covid-19 are (or are not) susceptible to contracting the illness again, be it the same virus or a known strain of the virus? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information floating around about this. Thank you.
Check out this thread regarding your inquiry...

Herd Immunity
DifferenceMaker Ag
Gary79Ag said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Herd Immunity
Thanks.

So basically, no one with credibility can answer this question definitively yet, especially since most of the existing examples stem from a woefully corrupt and unreliable source; China. Although there was one (1) case in Japan, as well as one (1) case in S. Korea, that seemed to indicate a confirmed positive for reinfection, even those instances seemed open to anecdotal evidence, ie. false negative tests results that were misinterpreted as "cured" and later "reinfected."

Furthermore, the vast majority of "doctors" throughout China are laughably untrained in actual medicine by our standards, and I simply don't trust or believe anything that the CCP reports to the world regarding their track record with COVID. Sorry, That's just my personal observation, but it's based on a lot of personal knowledge and experience with that part of the world. Maybe that's just me, but I am okay with that.

I suppose I'll just wait and see how this plays out within a medical community that has actually attended accredited medical schools, and follows western medicine philosophies. For now, I'll just assume that if you fully recover from COVID, you will carry with you the antibodies to fight off reinfection for a still unknown (controversial) period of time, as those antibodies are apparently perishable within your immune system.

Still hoping for a better answer though.

Complete Idiot
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Gary79Ag said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Herd Immunity
Thanks.

So basically, no one with credibility can answer this question definitively yet, especially since most of the existing examples stem from a woefully corrupt and unreliable source; China. Although there was one (1) case in Japan, as well as one (1) case in S. Korea, that seemed to indicate a confirmed positive for reinfection, even those instances seemed open to anecdotal evidence, ie. false negative tests results that were misinterpreted as "cured" and later "reinfected."

Furthermore, the vast majority of "doctors" throughout China are laughably untrained in actual medicine by our standards, and I simply don't trust or believe anything that the CCP reports to the world regarding their track record with COVID. Sorry, That's just my personal observation, but it's based on a lot of personal knowledge and experience with that part of the world. Maybe that's just me, but I am okay with that.

I suppose I'll just wait and see how this plays out within a medical community that has actually attended accredited medical schools, and follows western medicine philosophies. For now, I'll just assume that if you fully recover from COVID, you will carry with you the antibodies to fight off reinfection for a still unknown (controversial) period of time, as those antibodies are apparently perishable within your immune system.

Did you fight in the Nam?
DifferenceMaker Ag
nm.. Not worth answering.
BiochemAg97
AG
Kool said:

alittleright said:

Gotcha, thanks. That helps alleviate one concern. The webinar today said it was based on about 600 patients, and that the correlation between nasopharyngeal swabs and these self administered swabs was good. I just hope people don't have a lot of false negatives and consider themselves free of disease and let down their guard. It was very interesting that there was a very poor correlation between the oral swabs and nasopharyngeal swabs, again per the webinar. Everything in the nasopharynx is eventually pushed into the nasal cavity via cilia and normal mucosal clearing, so it seems odd that a properly performed oral swab would correlate so poorly. Perhaps people were swabbing the tongue and not really getting to the posterior pharyngeal wall, for fear of eliciting a gag reflex and because of patients' anatomy. Still waiting on my test kits from LabCorp and from Quest. At this point, as I am almost exclusively doing telemedicine, it's probably just as well.
The false negative is my concern with all the worried well. Someone who is concerned about being exposed recently could run down to the test center to get a test. If it is too early for a good viral load to develop, they may test negative and think they are fine and then end up spreading the virus.

Also my concern with other tests. Because of the amplification, RT-PCR can get good detection with a smaller load than an immunoassay that detects the virus.

Even worse, a test for IgM and IgG would have to wait for the body to develop antibodies to the virus. It's fine if you are showing symptoms 5-7 after infection, but a day or two post exposure could give a false negative and have people out and about again instead of following a 14 day self isolation.
BiochemAg97
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Gary79Ag said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Herd Immunity
Thanks.

There was the monkey test that indicates immunity to reinfection. Not sure which country that is from, and it is monkeys not people, but it is promising.
buzzardb267
AG
Here's another twist since I don't recall this particular scenario being posed. My brother is a good Samaritan and always taking people in to try and help. He is 70+, two heart attacks with only 60% heart function, smoked for 40 years (funny how nearly dying broke his smoking habit) and sedentary. He has two other, younger adults living with him, and one has a child. They both moved out, temporarily, for fear of infecting him. He is concerned about one of them having CV, recovering and still infecting him (other than community spread). If you recover from CV, is all the virus killed off in your body?
BiochemAg97
AG
buzzardb267 said:

Here's another twist since I don't recall this particular scenario being posed. My brother is a good Samaritan and always taking people in to try and help. He is 70+, two heart attacks with only 60% heart function, smoked for 40 years (funny how nearly dying broke his smoking habit) and sedentary. He has two other, younger adults living with him, and one has a child. They both moved out, temporarily, for fear of infecting him. He is concerned about one of them having CV, recovering and still infecting him (other than community spread). If you recover from CV, is all the virus killed off in your body?
The monkey study showed the monkeys still had virus for around 21 days after the first infection. Conceivably, they could get the virus, get mild symptoms, get better, and still have virus for several more days.

After the 28 days, the monkeys had cleared the virus, and the injected more virus into the monkeys. This time they could find any virus in the monkeys. Immunity had completely stopped the virus in the monkeys.

This 3 weeks of virus appears consistent with humans, and could potentially be infectious. The chance of passing the virus would diminish as viral load decreased after the first week or so, but being in close proximity could still provide sufficient exposure.
tmaggie50
AG
Can the virus survive in a freezer? Wondering if I have to waste Lysol on products that are going to be in the freezer for at least 12-24 hours before I use them
Reveille
AG
Today's update

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2650121791937428&id=1998386763777604?sfnsn=mo

DifferenceMaker Ag
Reveille said:

Today's update

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2650121791937428&id=1998386763777604?sfnsn=mo

Much appreciated doc. Thank you!
Bobcat06
AG
tmaggie50 said:

Can the virus survive in a freezer? Wondering if I have to waste Lysol on products that are going to be in the freezer for at least 12-24 hours before I use them

What product is it?

Freezing will kill it but it may damage the product. I have a N95 mask that I am leaving in sunlight to disinfect, because that is the least harmful disinfectant to the integrity of the mask.
tmaggie50
AG
Bobcat06 said:

tmaggie50 said:

What product is it?

Freezing will kill it but it may damage the product. I have a N95 mask that I am leaving in sunlight to disinfect, because that is the least harmful disinfectant to the integrity of the mask.

Just food delivered from grocery store. Just curious if it'll die off so I can save the sanitizing.

I guess same question for regular refrigeration?
Reveille
AG
tmaggie50 said:

Bobcat06 said:

tmaggie50 said:

What product is it?

Just food delivered from grocery store. Just curious if it'll die off so I can save the sanitizing.

I guess same question for regular refrigeration?

I would suspect that would be fine particularly if it is in the freezer for an extended period of time. We don't believe it lives long on porus surfaces. It prefers glad and plastics!
ttuhscaggie
AG
Looks like kitchen oven for 30 min set to 70 degree C / 158F is the best approach to sterilize and reuse the N95.

https://www.covid19ether.com/blog/c/0/i/43928911/n95-mask-can-be-decontaminated-without-decreasing-filtration-efficiency
Reveille
AG
I ordered another ultraviolet light that I will using to sterilize my masks
bmac_aggie18
AG
Hey Doc,

I don't know how effective these would be but maybe an alternative to the medical masks could be those fishing face covers?

Outdoor stores carry them and I'd like to think they're better than nothing so just a thought!
Badace52
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Hey Doc,

I don't know how effective these would be but maybe an alternative to the medical masks could be those fishing face covers?

Outdoor stores carry them and I'd like to think they're better than nothing so just a thought!

They would be no more effective than a bandana or shirt all of which allow around 97% of viral particles to pass through. Thy are great for preventing neck sunburns while fishing though.
Bobcat06
AG
ttuhscaggie said:

Looks like kitchen oven for 30 min set to 70 degree C / 158F is the best approach to sterilize and reuse the N95.

https://www.covid19ether.com/blog/c/0/i/43928911/n95-mask-can-be-decontaminated-without-decreasing-filtration-efficiency
Nice! Thanks!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Once again Thank you for all you are doing. We are praying constantly for your safety and that of your family and co workers. We are grateful beyond imagining for all that you are doing. God's protection cover you!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.