Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,411 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
college of AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious how long the UV light takes to sterilize?
Cepe
AG
Reveille said:

I ordered another ultraviolet light that I will using to sterilize my masks
Which one? We have been researching for my MIL for her room but get lost in the various types. . . TIA!
Reveille
AG
college of AG said:

Curious how long the UV light takes to sterilize?
That depends on the strength of the UV light. The more watts the faster it sterilizes. Also the square footage of the room. We have one at the office for cell phones. Very weak lights in that box I am sure but a little under 10 minutes to sterile a phone. I let my staff sterilize there phones prior to leaving. The ones in AC unit are very high powered but no one is around them and work instantaneously.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Catag94
AG
Doc,
God bless you and your work sir. Thank you for all the information.

I do have a question, and if it's been addressed, please accept my apologies. I am not in the medical field and so forgive my ignorance, but, how is it that 1,175 ICU patients nationwide is such a strain on our healthcare system. For a nation with as many hospitals as I imagine the USA has, this doesn't seem like a large number. When I think of the US having 40,000+ die during a normal flu season, I imagine a large percentage of those require hospitalization and even ICU. If this is correct, then I have a hard time understanding how we have a a difficulty finding supplies and room for 1,175 current additional ICU needs.

Respectfully.
dshedd41
S
DR REV. IS ON TEXAGS RADIO RIGHT NOW
Gig’em Aggies!
greenband
AG
Catag94 said:

Doc,

I do have a question, and if it's been addressed, please accept my apologies. I am not in the medical field and so forgive my ignorance, but, how is it that 1,175 ICU patients nationwide is such a strain on our healthcare system. For a nation with as many hospitals as I imagine the USA has, this doesn't seem like a large number. When I think of the US having 40,000+ die during a normal flu season, I imagine a large percentage of those require hospitalization and even ICU. If this is correct, then I have a hard time understanding how we have a a difficulty finding supplies and room for 1,175 current additional ICU needs.

Respectfully.
There isn't a large strain on the US health care. This is very localized to specific communities. New York has a very large strain on their healthcare system, and it will likely get much worse. There are many unused ventilators in various places across the country, but nobody will send them to New York because no guaranties of getting them back if needed.

If a relatively small city had an outbreak, it could cause a severe strain. If you only have 10 ventilators and need 20, then you have a localized strain on the healthcare system. Since the US has such a wide range of infections/million people, it's difficult to make general statements.
Reveille
AG
dshedd41 said:

Hopefully I didn't sound like a fool! LOL
Just want to help as many people as possible!

Gig'em!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dshedd41
S
You did a great job. Thanks for all you do.
Gig’em Aggies!
RCR06
AG
Catag94 said:

Doc,

Respectfully.
I'm not a medical expert, but have been following this thread. The biggest thing that I learned on this thread is that most hospitals operate at about 90% capacity at any given time. So while this covid-19 thing is going on people are still getting the flu, car accidents, heart attacks, strokes, broken bones, large cuts needing stitches, diabetic issues, pneumonia, asthma etc.

At the moment it appears as though many areas of the country are able to absorb the increases so far. You are seeing areas where the system is being strained like New York. Sure if you look at the numbers across the country as a whole it doesn't seem that bad, but I think if you looked at New York and Washington specifically you would see that a large portion of that 1175 is concentrated in those areas.
daltonhughes18
AG
Reveille said:

dshedd41 said:

Hopefully I didn't sound like a fool! LOL
Just want to help as many people as possible!

Gig'em!!
https://texags.com/s/35809
jaborch99
S
I've tried to follow this thread as well as I can, but I've gotten lost in the various comments about supplements. Can someone summarize the docs' recommendations on which cocktail of supplements are/aren't recommended?
CowtownAg06
AG
Hopefully one of the other benefits of social distancing will be fewer "normal" ICU cases. You would think car accidents in particular would be way down.
88planoAg
AG
jaborch99 said:

I've tried to follow this thread as well as I can, but I've gotten lost in the various comments about supplements. Can someone summarize the docs' recommendations on which cocktail of supplements are/aren't recommended?
I can start

Zinc good
Elderberry stop, unclear but might be harmful
Melatonin good, add this
multivitamin good
Barnyard96
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Hopefully one of the other benefits of social distancing will be fewer "normal" ICU cases. You would think car accidents in particular would be way down.
agree, they say one of the slowest times in the ER is during the superbowl. One of the busiest times is right after the superbowl.

Rock90
AG
88planoAg said:

jaborch99 said:

I can start

Zinc good
Melatonin good, add this
multivitamin good

Is there any information someone can point me to about elderberry possibly being harmful? Because my wife is sold on the stuff and making my kids take it daily.
BiochemAg97
AG
RCR06 said:

Catag94 said:

Doc,

Respectfully.
I'm not a medical expert, but have been following this thread. The biggest thing that I learned on this thread is that most hospitals operate at about 90% capacity at any given time. So while this covid-19 thing is going on people are still getting the flu, car accidents, heart attacks, strokes, broken bones, large cuts needing stitches, diabetic issues, pneumonia, asthma etc.

At the moment it appears as though many areas of the country are able to absorb the increases so far. You are seeing areas where the system is being strained like New York. Sure if you look at the numbers across the country as a whole it doesn't seem that bad, but I think if you looked at New York and Washington specifically you would see that a large portion of that 1175 is concentrated in those areas.
The 90% occupancy is also why cutting elective procedures helps. Those people would normally come in for the elective procedure (say hip replacement) and then stay in the hospital for a few days to recover.

My dad has had a few procedures in the last year or so. Every time he ends up waiting in the OR recovery room for a few additional hours waiting for a normal bed to open up. And these are for scheduled procedures.
JD Shellnut
AG
88planoAg said:

jaborch99 said:

I can start

Zinc good
Melatonin good, add this
multivitamin good

Add quercetin phytosome
Drip99
AG
I am sure this has been asked but how at risk are we when at the grocery store? I have a senior with asthma in my house and have only gone twice (I wear gloves and am as careful as possible). I read that one needs to be within the 6 feet zone of an infected person for ~10 min to get infected however that sounds like fiction...any truth to this? Thanks for what you do!!
88planoAg
AG
Rock90 said:

88planoAg said:

jaborch99 said:

I can start

Zinc good
Melatonin good, add this
multivitamin good

Is there any information someone can point me to about elderberry possibly being harmful? Because my wife is sold on the stuff and making my kids take it daily.
From Dr. Rev FB post today:

Quote:

Does Elderberry (Sambucus nigra) help with the Coronavirus-19 infections?

In looking over the studies it does appear to inhibit replication of human coronavirus which is different from COVID-19. It also has been shown to help with influenza but we have no idea if this correlates with COVID-19. Also it should be noted that it likely also increases inflammatory cytokines which is one of the main ways the COVID causes serious inflammation nicknamed cytokine storm. This causes inflammation in the alveoli of the lungs leading to the ARDS. Thus, I would not recommend taking this as the potential harm outweighs the small potential benefit..
3rd Generation Ag
AG
How much melatonin?
74OA
AG
There's a Washington Post story today saying Oracle has teamed with the government to field a nation-wide database to allow doctors to report their experience using "unproven" drug treatments for the virus.

It's an attempt to collect and collate the extensive anecdotal information that is being largely dismissed as unverifiable.

FWIW.
88planoAg
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

How much melatonin?
I think he said regular dose. We just bought on Amazon and was delivered within 12 hours! This is one you probably can't megadose anyway, affects sleep. So 2-5mg. But I'm not even a Texags doc. Just going off of the label of what we bought.
Reveille
AG
Catag94 said:

Doc,

Respectfully.
It is the fact that we are seeing 15-20% require hospitalization and now well over 5% require ventilators. So let's use Dallas county as an example. We have 3,922 available NON-ICU beds and 416 ICU beds available. Now with 2,586,552 people with an example of 40% prevalence that leads to 1,034,621 infected. In the Dallas county medical society that low balled and said 7.3% hospitalization rate. Even at that low number it leads to 75,527 beds needed. With an excepted fatality rate in Dallas County of 13,640 people. And that is with a hospitalization rate on ONLY 7.3%. WE CAN NOT see that type of volume in a few weeks or a months time.

So how do we fix this problem? We isolate, use social distancing to slow down the infection rate, Thus, over a long period of time like months we have a heavy but sustainable volume. This is the concept of flattening the curve. In addition it gives us time to keep replenishing our supplies in the hospitals and clinics.

In addition by slowing down the disease we have time to find effective treatments. Like the possible hydroxychloroquine or Favipivar thus hopefully decreasing the hospitalization rates. In addition that is why we are scouring the medical journals for supplements that may also help keep people out of the hospital and for sure hopefully off the ventilators.

To put in football perspective. It would be like if A&M was playing LSU this year on Thanksgiving weekend for a spot in SEC championship but Kyle Field closed all the gates except one to get in the stadium and you still had to search every person with a hand wand. There would be lines a mile long to get in but only a few would actually get to see the game. That is what we are essentially dealing with here in the health care system. We don't have time to build many more gates but we are trying. Instead we are saying it is a 7pm kickoff but lets open the gates at 7am so people can trickle in all day. .
Bruce Almighty
AG
Isn't the 15-20% hospitalization rate just with confirmed cases? Since we'll likely never know how many people will get this, wouldn't the actual rate be a lower percentage? I keep reading that the actual mortality rate is likely lower than what is shown, yet I don't ever see adjustments to hospitalization rates.
Complete Idiot
Bruce Almighty said:

Isn't the 15-20% hospitalization rate just with confirmed cases? Since we'll likely never know how many people will get this, wouldn't the actual rate be a lower percentage? I keep reading that the actual mortality rate is likely lower than what is shown, yet I don't ever see adjustments to hospitalization rates.
Percentage of total requiring hospitalization will go down yes, but that isn't that important other than to make individual people worry less. It has already been proven in China, Italy, maybe NYC now or soon, that the total number, regardless of percentage, overwhelms the medical system locally and that in itself causes issues.
Reveille
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Yes that is correct. But we really have no idea what number is. Thus we guessing the hospitalization rate will be much lower as we find out what the real number of infected is. That was the reason for using 7.3% by the DCMS. But even at 5% it is still well about what we can handle.
agforlife97
AG
Reveille said:

Catag94 said:

Doc,

Respectfully.
It is the fact that we are seeing 15-20% require hospitalization and now well over 5% require ventilators. So let's use Dallas county as an example. We have 3,922 available NON-ICU beds and 416 ICU beds available. Now with 2,586,552 people with an example of 40% prevalence that leads to 1,034,621 infected. In the Dallas county medical society that low balled and said 7.3% hospitalization rate. Even at that low number it leads to 75,527 beds needed. With an excepted fatality rate in Dallas County of 13,640 people. And that is with a hospitalization rate on ONLY 7.3%. WE CAN NOT see that type of volume in a few weeks or a months time.

So how do we fix this problem? We isolate, use social distancing to slow down the infection rate, Thus, over a long period of time like months we have a heavy but sustainable volume. This is the concept of flattening the curve. In addition it gives us time to keep replenishing our supplies in the hospitals and clinics.

In addition by slowing down the disease we have time to find effective treatments. Like the possible hydroxychloroquine or Favipivar thus hopefully decreasing the hospitalization rates. In addition that is why we are scouring the medical journals for supplements that may also help keep people out of the hospital and for sure hopefully off the ventilators.

To put in football perspective. It would be like if A&M was playing LSU this year on Thanksgiving weekend for a spot in SEC championship but Kyle Field closed all the gates except one to get in the stadium and you still had to search every person with a hand wand. There would be lines a mile long to get in but only a few would actually get to see the game. That is what we are essentially dealing with here in the health care system. We don't have time to build many more gates but we are trying. Instead we are saying it is a 7pm kickoff but lets open the gates at 7am so people can trickle in all day. .
Is there any alternative? Is it possible to ramp up beds? My concern is that this would obviously be cheaper financially than crashing the entire economy.
yaterag
AG
It might be fiscally cheaper but it won't be cheaper in the number of lives saved. Even if you were able to magically increase the number of beds available you aren't going to have the staff or supplies available to care for them all. You won't have enough meds, ppe, vents, etc. We're running out now, imagine what it is going to look like is another few weeks when it is bad across the whole country.
Tom Cardy
AG
There are only so many ventilators available, much less staff to actually take care of patients. The existing nurses and docs are already working way more than usual. Even with more equipment capacity you risk completely overworking the staff and that can lead to other issues in both short and long term.
basic8
1st of all, thank you. Is there a recommendation on mail received? Received 2 important docs from out of state..In my possible over reacting, I lysoled the envelopes and then contents, while wearing rubber gloves.

Any advice when convenient. Thanks again.
RCR06
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

I was thinking the same thing as I was writing my post. Hopefully that's the case
Reveille
AG
Those are only projected numbers if we do nothing. We are trying to prevent this. I get the impact on the economy is going to be devastating. I am a physician and glad I am not making those decisions because once we start opening things back up the virus will spread again. But remember it will be slowed some by a huge number of people who have developed immunity. In addition people will be much more cautious of things than previously. I get lots of texts and messages when will things turn to normal I really don't know. But I don't think this thing as peaked yet. So that is not good.
Sid Farkas
AG
Quote:

The really important question: do we win the game?
PPlayboy87
AG
Sid Farkas said:

Quote:

The really important question: do we win the game?
Damned straight we do!

WHOOP!!!
Double Twin Marine
AG
I was outside playing with the kids and saw (and killed) a mosquito. Guess its getting to be that time though seems early this year. But, that got me thinking, is CV19 transferrable through mosquitoes or any other blood sucking insects? Haven't thought about this before or seen it discussed.
First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.