Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,632 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
jbeaman88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you aren't already, you might check out the YouTube channel MedCram. He getA into some more technical stuff.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I am getting out the tens unit. It helps with my pain and I have totally stopped my asprin, alieve and advil. Hopefully there is no relation to this and the virus.

I also take one Turmeric daily. Should I also stop that?
OldArmy71
AG
Ah, makes sense. Thank you so much! I appreciate all you are doing for your patients and for us. Trying times!
Badace52
AG
Irwin M. Fletcher said:

Doctor just curious as to why you think Zithromax helped more in these patients? It is an antibiotic so is there some type of bacterial component to this?

Azithromycin has been shown to improve outcomes in patients with COPD who develop any kind of upper respiratory infection (including viral) in studies previously.

The theory is it decreases the natural bacteria in the lung passageways and help to decrease inflammation in already diseased lungs in this manner, but no one is absolutely sure why it helps in people with already damaged lungs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cepe
AG
I'm curious on your thoughts if this was here a year earlier.

About a year ago at this time, my father who is 83 now became very ill and was tested multiple times for the flu, which came back negative. His breathing continued to deteriorate so that my mother had to rush him to the doctor. They put him on 2X respiratory treatments a day and he used his C-PAP at night. The final test came back that he had a coronavirus but that is as far as we chased it thinking common cold.

He was in bad shape for about 4-6 weeks and lost about 15 pounds that he couldn't afford to lose. It caused a rash over most of his body and it took about a full year for him to fully recover.

Then, I read this article and I began to wonder. . . .

https://medium.com/@justin_hart/has-cornavirus-been-here-all-along-13b414a3bea6

Is it possible this was around a while and he had it? Is it possible to test someone after the fact to determine what strain they had?

Thanks,
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Reveille said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Exsurge Domine said:

gigemJTH12 said:

If this is true...how quickly can it be over? How much of that stuff do we have?

It's a peer reviewed paper showing 100% efficacy in 40 patients. Seems like a big deal. I don't know about HCQ but I think azithromyacin is just a z-pack which is pretty common. I think HCQ is plaquenil which is common as well

Unfortunately we cannot make any inferences based on this study given that it was non-randomized and had such low numbers. Azithromycin was added if the treating physician thought necessary; however, this would imply that there was a functional difference in clinical presentation in patients that received azithromycin. This possibly means that patients that received it were further along in their disease course which could also explain why they had quicker clearance of viral load. It could also mean that those that were more symptomatic had a greater immune response which might have lead to quicker viral load clearance, as well. It is impossible to tell without randomization.

While HCQ therapy is promising, it should not be promoted as a cure until efficacy can be determined. I would hate for all my SLE and RA patients to be out of their clinically proven medication due to a shortage based on in vitro studies and unpublished, non-randomized trials.
Well said this is exactly the case!!! I understand most of the public is not well versed in interpreting medical information and studies can be very misleading. But it will take much larger sample sizes with a randomized sample before we can make any conclusions. I also have RA and SLE patients that need these medications to function on a daily basis.

And now hydroxychloroquine has been placed on the drug shortage list as of today, as I expected it would. This is unfortunate.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Drip99
AG
Cepe said:

About a year ago at this time, my father who is 83 now became very ill and was tested multiple times for the flu, which came back negative. His breathing continued to deteriorate so that my mother had to rush him to the doctor. They put him on 2X respiratory treatments a day and he used his C-PAP at night. The final test came back that he had a coronavirus but that is as far as we chased it thinking common cold.

He was in bad shape for about 4-6 weeks and lost about 15 pounds that he couldn't afford to lose. It caused a rash over most of his body and it took about a full year for him to fully recover.

Is it possible this was around a while and he had it? Is it possible to test someone after the fact to determine what strain they had?

Thanks,

If that were the case, wouldn't we see more senior living and nursing homes being wiped out?
maroonbeansnrice
AG
I'm no doc for sure, but did a little reading, and there may also be other substances and drugs that may help combat this. Some of the studies suggest chloroquine and zinc could be helpful. Has to do with it being an ionophore which allows the zinc into your cells which inhibits the virus. There are several zinc ionophores. Maybe another arrow in the quiver. Hope so.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
Tailgate88
AG
Doc, thoughts on this? Maybe Ibuprofin is ok after all?

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/488275-top-health-official-pushes-back-against-theory-that-ibuprofen-worsens

Hoping so because 1) I can't find Tylenol anywhere and 2) Ibuprofin has always worked a lot better for me personally!
dermdoc
AG
What is fascinating about the hydroxychloroquine/chloroquine use is derms use this for porphyria and some very smart I believe Aussie noted that the replication of the Coronavirus has something to do with porphyrin mechanisms.

Azithromycin is a fascinating drug that has been used for many off label uses in Derm. Since it can modify function of hepatic cytochrome p450 and affect drug metabolism and concentrations I wonder if it increases the efficacy of the plaquenil via this mechanism.

And as noted above azithromycin has anti inflammatory properties also. As does plaquenil. It is the inflammatory response that causes ARDS and death, not the infection itself. I have also read that Humira May show some promise also and always high dose IV corticosteroids,
McCoveysCove
Hydrochloroquine also used for RA (rheumatoid Arthritis) correct?
dermdoc
AG
McCoveysCove said:

Hydrochloroquine also used for RA (rheumatoid Arthritis) correct?

It has been used for all the connective tissue diseases like lupus, RA, etc.

And actually if you are not G6pd deficient side effects are not bad. Retinopathy is much worse with chloroquine than plaquenil.
Reveille
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

I am getting out the tens unit. It helps with my pain and I have totally stopped my asprin, alieve and advil. Hopefully there is no relation to this and the virus.

I also take one Turmeric daily. Should I also stop that?

I would not think that Turmeric should be problem.
BiochemAg97
AG
Cepe said:

Thanks,
There are 4 human corona viruses that circulate through the population regularly. The tests that are used to identify those corona viruses are very specific and would have been able to identify strain and would have given a strange result if it was a novel virus, either not detecting at all or begin a clear indication of a novel strain that would have triggered all kinds of studies by the CDC. Your father did not have SARS CoV2.

All the genetic analysis I have seen for the COVID 19 cases shows a single jump to human transmission in China, likely in mid Nov. if it had happened earlier, there would have been more genetic variability in the sequences from Wuhan in Dec/Jan. If it occurred earlier, the mutation rate would have been slower and inconsistent with later samples and what we know about corona viruses in general.

Flu like illnesses are caused by many many viruses. Interesting the spike in Wash in FLI doesn't follow a exponential growth you would expect from a novel corona virus being here earlier.

His final graph is telling. The shape of the total FLI is mirrored in the % positive test results. We have discussed earlier that the rapid flu test has a high false negative, potentially as high as missing 90% of the flu cases, but likely in to 50% range. A Negative rapid flu result is clinically meaningless, while a positive result is a good indication you have the flu. Pages back, we also discussed that docs don't send a negative rapid result for confirmation like they would a negative rapid strep result because it doesn't provide a result in a clinically meaningful time frame. You get the results too late to start tamiflu. The fact that the positive flu line is very similarly shaped to the FLI would indicate it is more likely a spike in flu cases in Wash. If the spike was due to COVID19 cases (or another non influenza), you would see the positive flu tests move in the opposite directions as this spike in cases would all test negative for influenza.
cocopuff
AG
(Cross-post from Varsity). The standard definition of a fever seems to be 100.4 or higher, which I assume is based on the "normal" temperature of 98.6. My normal temperature is 97.9... how do I correctly calculate what constitutes as a fever for me?

Right now, my temperature reading is 99.7... if my normal were 98.6, then I'd have a 100.4 temp, no? Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

I do have a couple of other symptoms in common with the Coronavirus, but none of the doctors I have talked with seemed to take my temp seriously, which has ranged from 99.3-99.8 for three days (I work in the medical industry so I regularly communicate with doctors; I'm currently self-quarantining, though I don't think I have the virus).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Exsurge Domine
cocopuff said:

(Cross-post from Varsity). The standard definition of a fever seems to be 100.4 or higher, which I assume is based on the "normal" temperature of 98.6. My normal temperature is 97.9... how do I correctly calculate what constitutes as a fever for me?

Right now, my temperature reading is 99.7... if my normal were 98.6, then I'd have a 100.4 temp, no? Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

I do have a couple of other symptoms in common with the Coronavirus, but none of the doctors I have talked with seemed to take my temp seriously, which has ranged from 99.3-99.8 for three days (I work in the medical industry so I regularly communicate with doctors; I'm currently self-quarantining, though I don't think I have the virus).

I think you're fine either way. They won't do anything for you at a hospital since you seem okay, and you're already self quarantining.

I am not a doctor
Reveille
AG
cocopuff said:

It is generally thought that a temperature is greater than 100.4. So by medical standards it is believed that you are afebrile. If you don't have other symptoms I would say you likely are ok. However, self quarantine is the appropriate thing to do. If symptoms appear than call your Physician and consider getting tested.
Reveille
AG
Just want to say thanks to the other doctors on this forum. I greatly appreciate the help and I believe working together we can educate the population and slow this virus down. But have to educate the public that this is absolutely necessary.

Also thanks to Texags for creating this forum and keeping it on focus.
dtuckboi
My son is a healthy 22 year old with Type 1 diabetes. He's frustrated that his mom and I have asked him to self-quarantine for a while and not work his part time job at HEB in online grocery fulfillment. Are we being overly cautious or does his young age help make up for his underlying condition?
McCoveysCove
How is this virus trending this afternoon in the USA and in Texas? is it stabilizing or expanding? Im sorry I am working and have not been up to date since 1pm
Reveille
AG
dtuckboi said:

My son is a healthy 22 year old with Type 1 diabetes. He's frustrated that his mom and I have asked him to self-quarantine for a while and not work his part time job at HEB in online grocery fulfillment. Are we being overly cautious or does his young age help make up for his underlying condition?

No I think you are doing the right thing. He may not think so because he feels good but he is at higher risk being diabetic.

In addition grocery stores are crowded dangerous environments right now. Lots of people unnecessarily rushing to buy things.

If he was my son I would have him stay home until this curve flattens.
Reveille
AG
McCoveysCove said:

How is this virus trending this afternoon in the USA and in Texas? is it stabilizing or expanding? Im sorry I am working and have not been up to date since 1pm

Texas has 255 cases and 5 deaths currently. We are trending up. As testing is gradually increasing the cases will continue to rise for a little while.
tmaggie50
AG
Is diarrhea a confirmed symptom of Covid? Asking for a friend.
TAMUallen
AG
tmaggie50 said:

According to this, 29% with diarrhea

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-digestive-symptoms-diarrhea-almost-half-of-patients/
Reveille
AG
FDA approved hydroxychlorquinone for treatment of COVID-19. Also ramping up production of pills to help prevent a shortage.
VaultingChemist
AG
I live in a small town with fewer than 7000 people. There are two children in a daycare that have tested positive for Covid-19. What advice would you recommend for the (1) parents of the infected children and (2) the parents of the other children in the daycare?
AgsMyDude
AG
TAMUallen said:

tmaggie50 said:

According to this, 29% with diarrhea

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-digestive-symptoms-diarrhea-almost-half-of-patients/

Interesting. I had several days of that and a sore throat last weekend/early part of this week. I do have oak allergy so who knows if the sore throat is from that. The wife also had stomach issues and was flushed one day during it.
Reveille
AG
VaultingChemist said:

I live in a small town with fewer than 7000 people. There are two children in a daycare that have tested positive for Covid-19. What advice would you recommend for the (1) parents of the infected children and (2) the parents of the other children in the daycare?
Basically isolation to prevent others from getting sick. In this case the parents should probably wear a mask when in the room with the sick child to keep from getting it. I would recommend getting a pulse ox to measure oxygen level if the children are old enough to use it. If signs of respiratory trouble, such as seeing ribs and neck veins when you breath, breathing hard or fast or oxygen level dropping than they should get to a children's hospital as soon as possible.

For the other parents they need to watch for signs of illness, cough and fever being most common. If they occur then take the child in to get tested.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Just got prescribed Breo Ellipta for asthma maintenance. This may have already been covered, but this level of inhaled steroid is ok to be taking at the moment? I read it "can" lower immune system. I'd imagine leaving the asthma untreated is worse?
austinAG90
AG
You called. My RA is very mild, and I quit taking HCL end of last summer. I then got sick in NOV, neg for flu, but all symptoms of Corona and lasted 3 weeks. Worst I've ever felt. So after seeing all the talk last night regarding HCL I called Walgreens this am by me. They had 30 left and she told me they were not going to be getting anymore for awhile.

Is there another medication ?
texrover91
AG
Our kids are on a regular cycle of symbicort and proair along with breathing treatments as needed for asthma / chronic respiratory infections

Assume stay on normal regimen? Any concern about steroids?

eidetic78
AG
McCoveysCove said:

Something to keep in mind when looking at the virus numbers:

1. This virus has a relatively long incubation period.
2. The test turnaround right now is 5/6 days

Those together mean there is a significant lag between today's numbers and what they actually represent

Todays "new" cases are last week's tests, and last week's tests are the previous week's exposures.
Skillet Shot
Doc, thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

Can you clarify the percentage of patients and actual risk of permanent lung damage? I'm reading a lot of misleading reports.
CDub06
AG
Question for anyone that wants to respond:
I know someone immune suppressed that is having several symptoms. Their PCP group wouldn't have them come in even for a flu test because of the symptoms. So she did a virtual visit with urgent care who says they'll do a flu test and if negative, a panel that includes COVID-19 screening.

https://www.nextlevelurgentcare.com/coronavirus-updates

I can't find much about the lab, VikorScientific. Much of what I do find is self published. And this line of local Urgent Care facilities (Next Level) is the only provider I can find that publicly mentions them. They have a CLIA # in South Carolina.

Is there any reason to be suspicious of this lab or their COVID etc screening?
https://www.nextlevelurgentcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/VIKOR-SCIENTIFIC-Respira-ID-pdf-2.pdf
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
All the golf courses are open. What do you think of getting exercise there? If you are staying well away from everyone?
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.