Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,622 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HCQ mentioned as a treatment by South Korean doctors in this article from 6 days ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/World-News/2020/03/12/South-Korea-experts-recommend-anti-HIV-anti-malaria-drugs-for-COVID-19/6961584012321/
tonytx05
AG
Already asked and answered several times; chloroquine can have severe side-effects which doesn't make it a cure-all for every case that comes up.
Exsurge Domine
Complete Idiot said:

HCQ mentioned as a treatment by South Korean doctors in this article from 6 days ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/World-News/2020/03/12/South-Korea-experts-recommend-anti-HIV-anti-malaria-drugs-for-COVID-19/6961584012321/

I think that was known, but it was the azithromyacin cocktail that made this one so effective
Exsurge Domine
tonytx05 said:

Already asked and answered several times; chloroquine can have severe side-effects which doesn't make it a cure-all for every case that comes up.

This is HCQ, not CQ. Less side effects
gigemJTH12
AG
tonytx05 said:

Why the stupid emoji??

Also, what are the side effects?
bonfarr
AG
In addition to these I have seen it reported that it can cause hallucinations.

Quote:

Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: bleaching of hair color, hair loss, mental/mood changes (such as confusion, personality changes, unusual thoughts/behavior, depression), hearing changes (such as ringing in the ears, hearing loss), darkening of skin/tissue inside the mouth, worsening of skin conditions (such as dermatitis, psoriasis), signs of serious infection (such as high fever, severe chills, persistent sore throat), unusual tiredness, swelling legs/ankles, shortness of breath, pale lips/nails/skin, signs of liver disease (such as severe stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing eyes/skin, dark urine), easy bruising/bleeding, muscle weakness, unwanted/uncontrolled movements (including tongue and face twitching).

This medication may rarely cause low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Tell your doctor right away if you develop symptoms of low blood sugar, such as sudden sweating, shaking, hunger, blurred vision, dizziness, or tingling hands/feet. If you have diabetes, be sure to check your blood sugars regularly. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication.

Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including: severe dizziness, fainting, fast/slow/irregular heartbeat, seizures.

This medication may cause serious eye/vision problems. The risk for these side effects is increased with long-term use of this medication (over weeks to years) and with taking this medication in high doses. Get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of serious eye problems, including: severe vision changes (such as light flashes/streaks, difficulty reading, complete blindness).
Lateralus Ag
AG
tonytx05 said:

By all means. Die or risk the side effects.
Reveille
AG
Most current update

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2644252519191022/?sfnsn=mo

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

SIAP, doc did you see this?

Yes this looks very promising for severe and critical patients.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

88planoAg said:

I just saw a 'what not to take' list that included elderberry. First and only mention I've seen. Any idea where that came from?

I would like to know as well.
We do not know anything about it at this time. They are promoting it will strengthen your immune system but there is no evidence of that at this time. While I doubt it will hurt you, this one is pretty much use at your own risk.
Reveille
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

gigemJTH12 said:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

This is it

[url=https://ibb.co/XS6NPVD][/url]
This is very interesting in that by adding Zithromax to Hydroxychloroquine the response improved even more. I am sure we will be seeing a lot of this combination in hospitalized patients. Side effects are not as relevant if you good potentially die. But would not recommend in mild cases as most will recover on their own with no residual effects.
bonfarr
AG
Elderberry proponents look like Jude Law pushing forsythia in Contagion.
Exsurge Domine
Reveille said:

Exsurge Domine said:

gigemJTH12 said:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

This is it

[url=https://ibb.co/XS6NPVD][/url]
This is very interesting in that by adding Zithromax to Hydroxychloroquine the response improved even more. I am sure we will be seeing a lot of this combination in hospitalized patients. Side effects are not as relevant if you good potentially die. But would not recommend in mild cases as most will recover on their own with no residual effects.

Thanks Doc, great update and God Bless
Reveille
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

If this is true...how quickly can it be over? How much of that stuff do we have?
We should have plenty of this for use in serious or critical disease. I would expect that we are actively producing more of both these now.
Reveille
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

gigemJTH12 said:

If this is true...how quickly can it be over? How much of that stuff do we have?

It's a peer reviewed paper showing 100% efficacy in 40 patients. Seems like a big deal. I don't know about HCQ but I think azithromyacin is just a z-pack which is pretty common. I think HCQ is plaquenil which is common as well
That is correct! Both are common and we should have plenty of them if it continues to prove to be effective. Don't over react, as this is a small sample size and it doesn't appear that most were very sick. (Six patients were asymptomatic, 22 had upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and eight had lower respiratory infections.)
Counterpoint
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

tonytx05 said:

Extremely weird nightmares is one I haven't seen listed on here. I've taken it for malaria (prevention), and the nightmares were INTENSE. Probably better than Corona though. I wouldn't take it again for malaria prevention, but I would for COVID.

Reveille
AG
Counterpoint said:

gigemJTH12 said:

tonytx05 said:

Extremely weird nightmares is one I haven't seen listed on here. I've taken it for malaria (prevention), and the nightmares were INTENSE. Probably better than Corona though. I wouldn't take it again for malaria prevention, but I would for COVID.

That and suicidal ideation are both pretty well documented.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
One more queston. We know the mortality rate for the elderly is high. However do some of us get it and just have the mild version seen in younger people. Does every oldster wind up oin the hospital seriously ill even if they survive?

In other words what is the percentage that don't require intentive care and oxygen?
gigemJTH12
AG
Have you already answered the question on taking elderberry everyday right now? Good or bad idea?
clem93
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Have you already answered the question on taking elderberry everyday right now? Good or bad idea?

Doc's response is 9 posts above yours, where he stated, "use at your own risk" due to unknowns.
maroonbeansnrice
AG
Doc, this is a pharmacology question, and I'm guessing the answer would be uncertain given the unknowns at this point:

If CQ/HCQ turns out to be helpful, is there a different active ingredient/mechanism in the currently preferred anti-malarial Malarone (Atavaquone-Proguanil)? Just curious. As I'm sure you are aware, one of the reasons it is now the go-to anti-malarial is the lack of side effects.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
bkag9824
AG
Read the link I provided.
Reveille
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

One more queston. We know the mortality rate for the elderly is high. However do some of us get it and just have the mild version seen in younger people. Does every oldster wind up oin the hospital seriously ill even if they survive?

In other words what is the percentage that don't require intentive care and oxygen?

Yes not all elderly are going to seriously ill. Many will have only mild symptoms. The more risk factors you have and the older you are the more likely you are to have severe symptoms.
Reveille
AG
maroonbeansnrice said:

Doc, this is a pharmacology question, and I'm guessing the answer would be uncertain given the unknowns at this point:

If CQ/HCQ turns out to be helpful, is there a different active ingredient/mechanism in the currently preferred anti-malarial Malarone (Atavaquone-Proguanil)? Just curious. As I'm sure you are aware, one of the reasons it is now the go-to anti-malarial is the lack of side effects.

Unknown for sure. A biochemist might be better to answer as they know more about the mechanism of action than I do.
Ag12thman
AG
Exsurge Domine said:

gigemJTH12 said:

It's a peer reviewed paper showing 100% efficacy in 40 patients. Seems like a big deal. I don't know about HCQ but I think azithromyacin is just a z-pack which is pretty common. I think HCQ is plaquenil which is common as well
Wow - any side-effects?

Edit: Sorry - I should have read the last page first before posting. I see this discussed above.
Post removed:
by user
missyaggie
AG
I've taken hydroxychloroquine every day for years with no side effects whatsoever. It can, in rare cases, cause irreparable vision problems, so I get checked by ophthalmologist twice a year.

If this can work on the virus, it is definitely worth the risk!
RCR06
AG
Counterpoint said:

gigemJTH12 said:

tonytx05 said:

I worked for a company that used to send people to work on offshore oil rigs in Africa(many times they lived in a hotel on land). They all got around 6 vaccinations and a malaria preventative. One of the guys on chloroquine experienced this so bad that he was talking about having dreams of himself committing suicide(somewhat of a combination of side effects mentioned). Someone mentioned it may be a side effect of chloroquine so I start looking it up online and realize there are some pretty crazy side effects reported. We had him stop taking chloroquine and got him on a plane coming home. No one else reported any side effects. I realize this is better than dieing, but its not for everyone either.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Exsurge Domine said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Unfortunately we cannot make any inferences based on this study given that it was non-randomized and had such low numbers. Azithromycin was added if the treating physician thought necessary; however, this would imply that there was a functional difference in clinical presentation in patients that received azithromycin. This possibly means that patients that received it were further along in their disease course which could also explain why they had quicker clearance of viral load. It could also mean that those that were more symptomatic had a greater immune response which might have lead to quicker viral load clearance, as well. It is impossible to tell without randomization.

While HCQ therapy is promising, it should not be promoted as a cure until efficacy can be determined. I would hate for all my SLE and RA patients to be out of their clinically proven medication due to a shortage based on in vitro studies and unpublished, non-randomized trials.
OldArmy71
AG
I read the study.

Where did the number 40 come from?

The study says that 20 were treated with these drugs. Am I misreading something?
oldvalleyrat
AG
I used to take a lot of aspirin for my arthritis but my Doctor said to stop and gave me a prescription for Piroxicam(sp?). I looked it up and it said it was an NSAID. I am 75 and am in pretty good health otherwise. Should I stop taking the Piroxicam? Tylenol has virtually no effect on my arthritis.
All organizations are perfectly aligned for the results they get.
Reveille
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

I appreciate this thread Doc

Your welcome
Reveille
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Exsurge Domine said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Unfortunately we cannot make any inferences based on this study given that it was non-randomized and had such low numbers. Azithromycin was added if the treating physician thought necessary; however, this would imply that there was a functional difference in clinical presentation in patients that received azithromycin. This possibly means that patients that received it were further along in their disease course which could also explain why they had quicker clearance of viral load. It could also mean that those that were more symptomatic had a greater immune response which might have lead to quicker viral load clearance, as well. It is impossible to tell without randomization.

While HCQ therapy is promising, it should not be promoted as a cure until efficacy can be determined. I would hate for all my SLE and RA patients to be out of their clinically proven medication due to a shortage based on in vitro studies and unpublished, non-randomized trials.
Well said this is exactly the case!!! I understand most of the public is not well versed in interpreting medical information and studies can be very misleading. But it will take much larger sample sizes with a randomized sample before we can make any conclusions. I also have RA and SLE patients that need these medications to function on a daily basis.
Reveille
AG
OldArmy71 said:

I read the study.

Where did the number 40 come from?

The study says that 20 were treated with these drugs. Am I misreading something?
It was technically 42 patients 16 were controls, 26 were in the treatment group. However, 6 in treatment group dropped out or were lost to follow up. So really only 36 completed the trial and 20 finished in the treatment group that is why you see the number 20.

As we mentioned above while this is promising data it is nowhere near conclusive.
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
Doctor just curious as to why you think Zithromax helped more in these patients? It is an antibiotic so is there some type of bacterial component to this?
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.