Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,276,601 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tamc91
BQ91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doc, what about blood pressure Benicar? I do not believe it is a Ace drug.
buffalo chip
S
I appreciate all that you are doing (OP and other doctors/professionals who are responding to questions from the unwashed)...

My wife takes Alendronate for osteoporosis. She suffers many annoying side effects but has taken the drug for years. Should she take a break from this drug during the next few weeks or months?

Thanks!
Reveille
AG
BQ91 said:

Doc, what about blood pressure Benicar? I do not believe it is a Ace drug.
It is very similar instead of being a ACE inhibitor it is an ACE blocker. It is essentially the same concept just does it a little bit different. So you have an ARB which in this article states stay on your medications.

https://www.healio.com/cardiology/vascular-medicine/news/online/%7Bfe7f0842-aecb-417b-9ecf-3fe7e0ddd991%7D/cardiology-societies-recommend-patients-taking-ace-inhibitors-arbs-who-contract-covid-19-should-continue-treatment?fbclid=IwAR0GGQfZ1s5dW657MtPaFLOOvpSPS8dSbjpsz0527nY6SwgCTpRSUfbkrYw

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reveille
AG
buffalo chip said:

I appreciate all that you are doing (OP and other doctors/professionals who are responding to questions from the unwashed)...

My wife takes Alendronate for osteoporosis. She suffers many annoying side effects but has taken the drug for years. Should she take a break from this drug during the next few weeks or months?

Thanks!
NO she should stay on that mediation. It should be considered a safe medication and poses no extra risk.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
homertexag95
AG
Have you heard anything about an increased risk of contracting the virus in people with seizure disorders? A doctor (Marty Makary) mentioned this briefly last night on FoxNews but did not go into any detail. I could not find any information about it online today.

Also, my 21-year-old son takes Xolair, which is an immunosuppressant. His mom and I advised him to stay home from work for the time being. Would you agree with this?

Thank you in advance.
Reveille
AG
homertexag95 said:

Have you heard anything about an increased risk of contracting the virus in people with seizure disorders? A doctor (Marty Makary) mentioned this briefly last night on FoxNews but did not go into any detail. I could not find any information about it online
This is from an epilepsy society but in summary no unless you have some other underlying condition.

Are people with epilepsy at higher risk of developing COVID-19 (coronavirus)?

Epilepsy is a "family" of many different disorders that lead to seizures. Some people will have easily controlled seizures, have no other health problems, and become seizure-free on medications. Or they may have epilepsy with occasional seizures but no other health problems. For these people, the available data suggests that just having epilepsy alone
[ol]
  • Does not increase the risk of getting COVID-19
    AND
  • Does not increase the severity of COVID-19
  • [/ol]Some people with epilepsy regardless of seizure control have other health conditions that put them at higher risk from COVID-19.
    • They may be taking medicines to control seizures that also affect their immune system (for example, ACTH, steroids, immunotherapies). Or they may have other neurological or developmental issues that affect their immunity. People in these situations are at greater risk of developing more severe symptoms with viral illnesses.
    • People with epilepsy may have other medical problems that could place them at higher risk of developing more severe symptoms with COVID-19.
      • For example, people who have problems swallowing or frequently inhale food or liquids into their lungs (aspiration) are at higher risk for pneumonia.
      • People with diabetes or underlying heart or lung problems also appear to be at higher risk for severe COVID-19.
    Regardless of your situation, it is important for anyone with epilepsy to talk to their treating health care provider about their individual risks and if any specific medical precautions are needed. Take precautions to avoid getting sick too.
    clintaggie04
    AG
    Is the higher risk for people with high blood pressure mitigated in any way if their blood pressure is under control with meds?
    Reveille
    AG
    clintaggie04 said:

Is the higher risk for people with high blood pressure mitigated in any way if their blood pressure is under control with meds?
    This is an interesting question. We don't have enough data on the victims past to really know just how well there blood pressure was controlled. But one would assume that a person with adequately controlled hypertension should be at less risk than someone who is out of control. I just don't have the studies or data to prove such a statement at this time.
    clintaggie04
    AG
    Thanks. I am somewhat overweight, not obese, and have had high blood pressure for a very long time (hereditary). My blood pressure is great with meds, just curious if I should be more concerned than a "healthy" person. Great info in this thread. Thanks again for taking time to do this.
    alittleright
    What are you basing this on. There is nothing in the OSHA regs that state this.
    fightingfarmer09
    Basically everyone is walking around in a plastic bubble. At home, not interacting with many folks, sanitizing constantly, etc.

Are we seeing cases because folks slip up, or because this is more contagious than flu/cold? I've never been so "clean conscious" in my life and folks make it seem like the virus is going to pop out of nowhere.

Left the house for the first time in 3 days, and was eerie going through town.
    hatchback
    AG
    Did you open the link? It literally explains the entire process and regulations for reporting COVID-19 in the workplace.
    txags92
    AG
    alittleright said:

What are you basing this on. There is nothing in the OSHA regs that state this.
    Click on the link in his post and look at the blue highlight box on the right side of the page. It goes through the criteria for it. They appear to be limiting it to Covid-19 contracted through the workplace or while performing work duties. Seems to me like it would mostly apply to medical personnel, but I can see where a company forcing people to keep coming to work, while not adequately quarantining a sick employee could fall into this area. As was said in a later post, the key is going to be how do you prove where the virus was contracted. I don't see much of an impact for this for most companies, but for medical facilities treating Covid patients, they are probably going to see quite a few staff become infected.
    LongLurking Ag
    I am a long time lurker. It took Covid19 to get me out of hiding. It is ironic that I should still go into lurking mode now.

Thanks Doc Rev for not only doing this but also your service to people in general..

I am 60 and had colon cancer surgery in January. Supposedly all cancer was cut out but my oncologist still recommended 12 sessions over 24 weeks of Chemo (currently in round 4). When I talked with him, he said to keep the process as scheduled and my immunity system would be down but not significantly. Do you think this is the best course being as no cancer is still known to exist in me. I'm trying to weigh risk reward but do not know how much each additional session helps my long term diagnosis versus how much more vulnerable it makes me to Covid19.

Also a curiosity question. A report today discussed this lasting 18 months. Do you see that as a likely scenario?
    buffalo chip
    S
    Reveille said:

buffalo chip said:

Thanks!
    NO she should stay on that mediation. It should be considered a safe medication and poses no extra risk.
    Very much appreciated! Thank you.
    filag88
    AG
    Similar situation. My daughter works at a daycare in Corpus. A student in a different class than hers went to Laredo this past weekend to see his aunt. The aunt is a school teacher and one of her co teachers tested positive. My daughter is wondering if it is safe for her to come visit us this weekend? Is that enough levels away from the virus that she should be safe?
    cisgenderedAggie
    Irwin M. Fletcher said:

Doc, I have seen some mention of this in the thread but never got a direct answer from anyone. Since in theory the virus binds to ACE and if someone is on an ACE inhibitor, would it be worth considering switching to an ARB for their hypertension? Curious what your thoughts would be here.

ACE is not the same as ACE2.

ACE is responsible for converting one molecule (Angiotensin I) into a different molecule (Angiotensin II), which increases blood pressure. Your ACE inhibitor blocks ACE and prevents this reaction.

ACE2 is the receptor that is the site of infection. It's normal role is related to converting Angiotensin (both of them) into molecules that relax blood pressure. Your ACE inhibitor does not block ACE2.

Keep taking your ACE inhibitors unless directed not to by YOUR physician.
    Dave Robicheaux
    AG
    Curious to hear is chloroquine +Iron being used in the U.S after a couple peer reviewed papers coming out.
    Reveille
    AG
    clintaggie04 said:

Thanks. I am somewhat overweight, not obese, and have had high blood pressure for a very long time (hereditary). My blood pressure is great with meds, just curious if I should be more concerned than a "healthy" person. Great info in this thread. Thanks again for taking time to do this.
    You are not high risk but it is slightly more than a healthy person. I would not be overly concerned at this time. Just practice good hygiene and social distancing.
    Reveille
    AG
    LongLurking Ag said:

I am a long time lurker. It took Covid19 to get me out of hiding. It is ironic that I should still go into lurking mode now.

Thanks Doc Rev for not only doing this but also your service to people in general..

I am 60 and had colon cancer surgery in January. Supposedly all cancer was cut out but my oncologist still recommended 12 sessions over 24 weeks of Chemo (currently in round 4). When I talked with him, he said to keep the process as scheduled and my immunity system would be down but not significantly. Do you think this is the best course being as no cancer is still known to exist in me. I'm trying to weigh risk reward but do not know how much each additional session helps my long term diagnosis versus how much more vulnerable it makes me to Covid19.

Also a curiosity question. A report today discussed this lasting 18 months. Do you see that as a likely scenario?
    I would absolutely follow the recommendations of your oncologist. Regardless the cancer is still more risk to you than this virus. Yes your immune system will be somewhat suppressed but just stay away from people over the next 24 wks.

As for how long the COVID-19 will last is anyone's guess at this point. Way too many variables for any of us to accurately know. I don't expect it to go away soon but I certainly hope that is does.
    Reveille
    AG
    Reveille said:

LongLurking Ag said:

I would absolutely follow the recommendations of your oncologist. Regardless the cancer is still more risk to you than this virus. Yes your immune system will be somewhat suppressed but just stay away from people over the next 24 wks.

As for how long the COVID-19 will last is anyone's guess at this point. Way too many variables for any of us to accurately know. I don't expect it to go away soon but I certainly hope that is does.

And FYI I was a long time lurker I have been on this board over 20 years and had less than 2000 posts until recently.
    Reveille
    AG
    filag88 said:

Similar situation. My daughter works at a daycare in Corpus. A student in a different class than hers went to Laredo this past weekend to see his aunt. The aunt is a school teacher and one of her co teachers tested positive. My daughter is wondering if it is safe for her to come visit us this weekend? Is that enough levels away from the virus that she should be safe?
    That is low risk also too many people away from the positive contact. However, regardless still don't get too close since she works in a daycare there is always a potential for exposure there.
    Reveille
    AG
    Dave Robicheaux said:

Curious to hear is chloroquine +Iron being used in the U.S after a couple peer reviewed papers coming out.
    Go back to close to the beginning of this thread and there is a great discussion of this. We discussed it prior to the media running with it. However, this is not a benign drug as it is being portrayed in the media and must be used with caution.
    gigemJTH12
    AG
    SIAP, doc did you see this?

Florida Man
    AG
    Thanks Rev. Question about the statistics. Clearly the positives will grow with broader testing, but isn't the most important metric the number of hospitalized patients? Is that reported anywhere?
    Bobcat-Ag
    88planoAg said:

I just saw a 'what not to take' list that included elderberry. First and only mention I've seen. Any idea where that came from?

I would like to know as well.
    gigemJTH12
    AG
    Bobcat-Ag said:

88planoAg said:

I just saw a 'what not to take' list that included elderberry. First and only mention I've seen. Any idea where that came from?

I would like to know as well.

My family has been taking elderberry. So would like to know this as well
    Exsurge Domine
    gigemJTH12 said:

SIAP, doc did you see this?

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

This is it

[url=https://ibb.co/XS6NPVD][/url]
    gigemJTH12
    AG
    If this is true...how quickly can it be over? How much of that stuff do we have?
    Exsurge Domine
    gigemJTH12 said:

If this is true...how quickly can it be over? How much of that stuff do we have?

It's a peer reviewed paper showing 100% efficacy in 40 patients. Seems like a big deal. I don't know about HCQ but I think azithromyacin is just a z-pack which is pretty common. I think HCQ is plaquenil which is common as well
    gigemJTH12
    AG
    If it's that simple I wonder why it took this long to find out that's what works. Kinda makes me a little skeptical. But 40/40 doesn't lie. If that is true this thing should be over.
    Exsurge Domine
    gigemJTH12 said:

If it's that simple I wonder why it took this long to find out that's what works. Kinda makes me a little skeptical. But 40/40 doesn't lie. If that is true this thing should be over.

If he was a quack I don't think tucker would have had him on, and there are a lot of docs who peer reviewed apparently
    gigemJTH12
    AG
    Praying this is it!
    TAMUallen
    AG
    Question, how well or hypothetically well does Hibiclens or chlorhexidine gluconate 4% protect against covid-19?
    Exsurge Domine
    gigemJTH12 said:

Praying this is it!

ME TOO BROTHER
    First Page Last Page
    Page 20 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.