Covid-19 Update Aggie Physician

1,248,788 Views | 3660 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tamc91
aggiesportsfiend10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you so much for this! And thank you to your colleague as well.
I already have a dog
AG
I'm not a doctor but the article only claims that at least one person had to be removed from the trial because of negative effects of the medication. I don't think anybody is shocked that someone somewhere reacted poorly to the medicine. This evidence is highly anecdotal which the research community that is so hesitant to endorse any treatment beyond managing the symptoms has been against until it supports their position.
doctorAg13
AG
AggieMD04 said:

There are also a multitude of bad side effects. Talk to anyone who has had to take malaria prophylaxis for travel.
Honest question, since this is not my field of medicine. When antimalarials are given for prophylaxis, is there some sort of screen first, like a baseline EKG, or is that not necessary because of the dosage or frequency of use of the medication?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OldArmy71
AG
I read somewhere that some places have substituted doxycycline for the Z Pak in order to avoid the QT interval problem. Thoughts?
AgLA06
AG
AggieMD04 said:

Of course, no one would be intentionally giving this medication to a child. But remember, in my setting, I'm seeing kids who accidentally get into family medications not infrequently.

With regards to potential dangers, while many people can take hydroxychloroquine with no serious danger, there are specific patient populations that could have major problems with it. For example, it is a QT prolonging drug, which basically means that it keeps your heart from resetting between beats as quickly as it usually would. In most people, that probably isn't a problem, but if you are already taking another medication that also prolongs your QT interval (of which there are more than a few), or if you're a person that already has a genetic prolonged QT, the effects are additive. Once someone's QT interval gets too long, the heart freaks out and goes into a deadly dysthymia. This can kill you before you even make it to a hospital. I know this sounds extreme, but it is a real risk to consider. To top it all off, azithromycin, the other drug they are combing with hydroxychloroquine, is ALSO a QT prolonging medication. So I see why there is hesitation here to just prescribe it as a prophylactic, especially to a mildly symptomatic or symptomatic patient who statistically is likely to get better on their own anyway.

Besides that, it is an immunosuppressive drug, and, again, in a patient that already has some form of immunosuppression, this could cause major problems. The worst part of this, is that COVID-19 already reeks havoc on your immune system anyway, so no one is quite sure if adding this to the mix is the best plan.

There are also a multitude of bad side effects. Talk to anyone who has had to take malaria prophylaxis for travel.

Don't get me wrong. I want this stuff to work as much as any other doctor, but there is this whole pesky "First, do not harm" thing that we all have to abide by, and I think we owe it to our patients to make sure what we are doing isn't harmful first. And again, I mean that for asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic patients where proven benefit has not been seen yet.

From the outside looking in, I'm not following your reasoning. It appears to be a lot of could happen and might happen as potential down sides when the patient does have Covid.

Sure seems the do no harm would come into play here for the opposite reason. If you're seeing them in the hospital their odds aren't good. Sure seems your doing more harm by not treating them with the best option of medication simply because you don't like it "because maybe" it might do harm when it's more likely the virus will kill them if you don't.

Almost exactly the scenario Rev mentioned about doctors earlier that ruffled some feathers.
alittleright
MY personal experience was no screening at all for anti malaria prior to travel to an area where it was recommended.
Reveille
AG
OldArmy71 said:

I read somewhere that some places have substituted doxycycline for the Z Pak in order to avoid the QT interval problem. Thoughts?
I actually had a patient today sick with COVID-19. She has some risk factors for severe disease and is very nervous. She had a physical last year with a slightly prolonged QT on her EKG last fall. She wanted to take the HCQ/Z-pak combination. I told her looking in her chart she has a prolonged QT interval so I am not comfortable giving it to her but let me call her cardiologist. I faxed old EKG and discussed it with the cardiologist. He says the zithromax is the highest risk of the two for prolonged QT so we are substituting doxycycline for her.

FYI I agree with the above I don't think any of my Rheumatologist that I refer to, ever do EKG's on the patients prior to using hydroxycholoroquine. Luckily in family medicine we usually have previous EKG's.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fig96
AG
AgLA06 said:

AggieMD04 said:

Of course, no one would be intentionally giving this medication to a child. But remember, in my setting, I'm seeing kids who accidentally get into family medications not infrequently.

With regards to potential dangers, while many people can take hydroxychloroquine with no serious danger, there are specific patient populations that could have major problems with it. For example, it is a QT prolonging drug, which basically means that it keeps your heart from resetting between beats as quickly as it usually would. In most people, that probably isn't a problem, but if you are already taking another medication that also prolongs your QT interval (of which there are more than a few), or if you're a person that already has a genetic prolonged QT, the effects are additive. Once someone's QT interval gets too long, the heart freaks out and goes into a deadly dysthymia. This can kill you before you even make it to a hospital. I know this sounds extreme, but it is a real risk to consider. To top it all off, azithromycin, the other drug they are combing with hydroxychloroquine, is ALSO a QT prolonging medication. So I see why there is hesitation here to just prescribe it as a prophylactic, especially to a mildly symptomatic or symptomatic patient who statistically is likely to get better on their own anyway.

Besides that, it is an immunosuppressive drug, and, again, in a patient that already has some form of immunosuppression, this could cause major problems. The worst part of this, is that COVID-19 already reeks havoc on your immune system anyway, so no one is quite sure if adding this to the mix is the best plan.

Don't get me wrong. I want this stuff to work as much as any other doctor, but there is this whole pesky "First, do not harm" thing that we all have to abide by, and I think we owe it to our patients to make sure what we are doing isn't harmful first. And again, I mean that for asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic patients where proven benefit has not been seen yet.

From the outside looking in, I'm not following your reasoning. It appears to be a lot of could happen and might happen as potential down sides when the patient does have Covid.

Sure seems the do no harm would come into play here for the opposite reason. If you're seeing them in the hospital their odds aren't good. Sure seems your doing more harm by not treating them with the best option of medication simply because you don't like it "because maybe" it might do harm when it's more likely the virus will kill them if you don't.

Almost exactly the scenario Rev mentioned about doctors earlier that ruffled some feathers.
I feel like you missed the last sentence, he's questioning the potential benefits vs the side effects in patients that only have mild symptoms.

Unfortunately it seems like we're seeing the most benefit when this is administered early, or there's also the possibility it's appearing to be effective in folks who weren't going to show serious symptoms either way.
OldArmy71
AG
Wow. That is a coincidence! I certainly hope it works for her.

I shouldn't say this, because my PCP is a board certified guy in internal medicine and is a very intelligent man, but I just don't see him ever going in depth on some issue or reaching out to other doctors, etc., the way I see Dr. Coates do. Goodness knows I have a number of underlying conditions. Maybe he does with other patients or even with me and I don't see it.

My experience is that a good PCP is very hard to find.

I had two I loved dearly, but one finally retired at age 84 and the other one (who was also quite elderly) I had to leave because my insurance changed.
buffalo chip
S
alittleright said:

MY personal experience was no screening at all for anti malaria prior to travel to an area where it was recommended.

A large neighborhood group traveled twice to different sub-Sahara African countries with malaria issues. Our entire group were prescribed Plaquenil for the two trips. We went to a travel doctor for those trips, but everybody received the same prescription. I do not recall any problems and did not hear of any among our groups.
RCR06
AG
buffalo chip said:

alittleright said:

A large neighborhood group traveled twice to different sub-Sahara African countries with malaria issues. Our entire group were prescribed Plaquenil for the two trips. We went to a travel doctor for those trips, but everybody received the same prescription. I do not recall any problems and did not hear of any among our groups.
I posted this on another thread. I worked for a company that sent people to work offshore. Ocassionally that would be somewhere offshore in Africa. Lots of vaccinations and malaria preventatives. Had a guy tell his co workers that he was having dreams of committing suicide. So we get a call from the onsite superintendent. I start doing some internet research and call our company doctor, thats when I learn plaquenil can have some weird side effects. He suggested getting him home as quick as possible. Guy having the suicide dreams swears he isn't thinking about suicide, just dreaming about it. We get him out of there asap out of an abundance of caution. I believe one of the other side effects we learned of was vivid dreams. So, he had a little bit of a combination of two side effects. This is very rare as I understand it.
Jackal99
AG
I was in the Peace Corps in Honduras after college. They gave us Aralen to take weekly, as a malaria prevention. Some older volunteers told us it could cause weird, vivid dreams. I never had any dreams about suicide or anything close to that, but I definitely had some of the most bizarre dreams I've ever had. I actually wound up keeping a journal by my bed so I could write them down if I woke up and remembered them.
oh no
AG
a lot of people experience crazy lucid dreams when taking anti-malarials. A guy who traveled with me to Africa for work once woke up sweating and screaming thinking he was being attacked by monkeys.
AggieMD04
AG
Just to clarify my comments on kids and hydroxychloroquine - I'm specifically talking about adult doses being toxic for children, as in the scenario where a kid gets into a parent's (or other relative's) medication on accident.
AggieMD04
AG
I'll admit that as an ER doctor, I am pretty hung up on worst case scenarios, since that is what I'm trained to look for - and I think I see these worst case scenarios more than the average person - so I'm sure I'm biased toward being more cautionary when it comes to trying new treatments which have demonstrated (so far) to be neither harmless nor beneficial.
AggieMD04
AG
aggiesportsfiend10 said:

Thank you so much for this! And thank you to your colleague as well.

Anytime! Glad I can help!
88planoAg
AG
AggieMD04 said:

Just to clarify my comments on kids and hydroxychloroquine - I'm specifically talking about adult doses being toxic for children, as in the scenario where a kid gets into a parent's (or other relative's) medication on accident.
Do you limit prescriptions for adults based on the potential toxicity to children who are in the home?
AggieMD04
AG
No, but I don't have to prescribe a ton of medications from the ER in general.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Many of my low income former students head to the ER for everything. It is their family doctor.
AggieMD04
AG
Yes, we do get a lot of that, too. I wish there were a better way. While I obviously care about all my patients and their long term outcomes, it's difficult to prescribe long term medications when I can't continue to personally monitor and follow their progress.
Reveille
AG
Today's update!

https://www.facebook.com/1998386763777604/posts/2664525580497049/?sfnsn=mo

Boring Username
AG
This epidemiologist is making the point that if we only sheltered the most vulnerable and the rest returned to normal lives we could exterminate this viruses a lot sooner. Of course we dont want to overwhelm the healthcare system, but I am curious if there are prudent risk we could take to try to achieve an optimum curve rather than just flatten it as soon as possible?

https://www.thecollegefix.com/epidemiologist-coronavirus-could-be-exterminated-if-lockdowns-were-lifted/
MouthBQ98
AG
They gave us Malarone when we were working offshore in Africa. It messed some people up pretty good. I only had intense dreams for a couple of weeks then was fine. Glad they did not EKG me because I have a naturally abnormal signal though a gazillion other tests have confirmed my heart is normal and healthy.
emando2000
AG
Boring Username said:

This epidemiologist is making the point that if we only sheltered the most vulnerable and the rest returned to normal lives we could exterminate this viruses a lot sooner. Of course we dont want to overwhelm the healthcare system, but I am curious if there are prudent risk we could take to try to achieve an optimum curve rather than just flatten it as soon as possible?

https://www.thecollegefix.com/epidemiologist-coronavirus-could-be-exterminated-if-lockdowns-were-lifted/

He gives the nursing home example & talks about.hers immunity by letting the kids go.to.school.The first thing that popped in my head was that many of the workers in the nursing homes have kids. It would still get to them. Or is my line of thinking off?
Bondag
AG
emando2000 said:

Boring Username said:

He gives the nursing home example & talks about.hers immunity by letting the kids go.to.school.The first thing that popped in my head was that many of the workers in the nursing homes have kids. It would still get to them. Or is my line of thinking off?
No, That is why I think that a lot more people have been infected than we realize. If someone that literally never leaves their room gets it and spreads it to 80 people then there is no way someone going to the grocery store has not been exposed to it. The key it to get exposed to it in a low dose.

Many people that work at nursing homes have more than one job. They may work at a nursing home one day a week, but work 3 shifts at a hospital as well where they get exposed to it.
mrsbeer05
AG
Bondag said:

emando2000 said:

Boring Username said:

No, That is why I think that a lot more people have been infected than we realize. If someone that literally never leaves their room gets it and spreads it to 80 people then there is no way someone going to the grocery store has not been exposed to it. The key it to get exposed to it in a low dose.

Many people that work at nursing homes have more than one job. They may work at a nursing home one day a week, but work 3 shifts at a hospital as well where they get exposed to it.

This is part of the reason Lubbock has taken a huge nursing home hit. My dad works with nursing home patients and he said the aids that work there often work at multiple homes, sometimes on the same day.
John Francis Donaghy
Bondag said:

emando2000 said:

Boring Username said:

The residents of the nursing home aren't the ones spreading it. It's the caregivers.

I don't know how much experience you have with these kinds of facilities, or hired caregivers for the elderly in general, but most aren't trained nurses, in fact very few are unless you're in a very high level care facility. They're mostly minimum wage workers, and have somewhere between little and no motivation to follow any sort of specific directions for any individual "patient."

If you do manage to find a good one, you hold on for dear life, because of they get assigned elsewhere by their agency, you're chances of getting a halfway decent replacement are close to 0.
BiochemAg97
AG
Bondag said:

emando2000 said:

Boring Username said:

You could isolate the people who work at the nursing home from their families. I would be surprised if it was that common for the nursing home staff to also work shifts at the hospital. However, there are a lot of doctors that will need to see patients in the nursing home, but also see patients in a clinic and at the hospital so there is a transmission route that way.
AggieJ2002
AG
This was sent to me today regarding using nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide as home treatment for Covid (and other respiratory viruses). For the docs ... a) have you heard of this? and b) do you think it is safe and something that has any merit?

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/04/09/hydrogen-peroxide-therapy.aspx?cid_source=dnl&cid_medium=email&cid_content=art1HL&cid=20200409Z1&et_cid=DM501465&et_rid=847453238
Big Al 1992
AG
Hey doc and docs on here - how is the financial health of your practices? Does staff need anything or support? And got word that today HHS is direct depositing funds from the fed govt to practices based on your Medicare Billings. It is separate from any small business loans - part of the CARES Act earmarked for providers. Are y'all aware of this?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
AggieJosh2002 said:

This was sent to me today regarding using nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide as home treatment for Covid (and other respiratory viruses). For the docs ... a) have you heard of this? and b) do you think it is safe and something that has any merit?

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/04/09/hydrogen-peroxide-therapy.aspx?cid_source=dnl&cid_medium=email&cid_content=art1HL&cid=20200409Z1&et_cid=DM501465&et_rid=847453238
Surely it won't end up being "that" easy....
AggieJ2002
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Surely it won't end up being "that" easy....

Obviously, not a cure or I assume it would be all over ... but curious if it something that could actually help at home in more mild cases
maroonbeansnrice
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Bondag said:

emando2000 said:

Boring Username said:

The residents of the nursing home aren't the ones spreading it. It's the caregivers.

I don't know how much experience you have with these kinds of facilities, or hired caregivers for the elderly in general, but most aren't trained nurses, in fact very few are unless you're in a very high level care facility. They're mostly minimum wage workers, and have somewhere between little and no motivation to follow any sort of specific directions for any individual "patient."

If you do manage to find a good one, you hold on for dear life, because of they get assigned elsewhere by their agency, you're chances of getting a halfway decent replacement are close to 0.
And you might be surprised at the number of nurses in these facilities that are foreigners on H1-B visas, and none too few of those from Asia. Not being a xenophobe here, simply stating facts.
“It ain’t like it used to be.”
-Jimbo Fisher
GoVols
Took it once a week for four years when living in what used to be Zaire. This was the 80s. I don't recall any screening and no one in my family suffered any side effects except my father who had slight ringing in ears and permanent hearing loss that might be related. This was chloroquine not the newer hydroxy
BiochemAg97
AG
AggieJosh2002 said:

They are using nebulized hydrogen peroxide to sterilize n95 masks for reuse at some large hospitals. Most of the studies they cited were studies on decontaminating surfaces.

I'd be concerned about inhaling it, especially someone doing it at home who might not know what they are doing and could screw it up. Not sure what dosage would be safe and not cause additional tissue damage.
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.