House was flooded. Now what?

7,367 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RCR06
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So mom's house got a good 4 feet of water in it this weekend. She has flood insurance and thinks the house is pretty much a total loss. Is she required to rebuild, or does insurance just cut her a check?
Zobel
AG
Get the adjuster out there. Take photos of everything. Especially items with a water line. Put a tape measure in the photos.

Dump all of the stuff downstairs outside. Hire movers if anything is salvageable and get it out asap! Box up stuff that you can keep and put it in storage (pots and pans, clothes, etc).

Get the sheetrock cut out and remove the insulation, because they may not write enough to call it a total loss...and you don't want mold.

Keep receipts for everything, even storage and movers. Everything.
MouthBQ98
AG
Get anything wet outside ASAP, down to the frame. Not kidding. After a very detailed filming and documentation. You'd be surprised what they can recover if the frame is dried soon enough.
Teddy Perkins
AG
https://texags.com/forums/80/topics/2876575

Collected some links in the above thread.
TXTransplant
The house probably isn't a total loss, but it will have to be gutted. As others have said, get everything that didn't get wet out of there and into storage asap. Most items that did get wet are now garbage (anything metal, like pots and pans, cloth/fabric, wood, or that plugs in). Depending on the height of the ceilings, you may want to take the sheetrock and insulation out up to the ceilings. The panels are usually 4 ft wide and hung horizontally. Taking it out just to the water line isn't sufficient. Then start cleaning everything with bleach and spraying the studs with mold inhibitor spray.
SeMgCo87
AG
TXTransplant said:

The house probably isn't a total loss, but it will have to be gutted. As others have said, get everything that didn't get wet out of there and into storage asap. Most items that did get wet are now garbage (anything metal, like pots and pans, cloth/fabric, wood, or that plugs in). Depending on the height of the ceilings, you may want to take the sheetrock and insulation out up to the ceilings. The panels are usually 4 ft wide and hung horizontally. Taking it out just to the water line isn't sufficient. Then start cleaning everything with bleach and spraying the studs with mold inhibitor spray.
This is a good list. But I would add the following:
  • As soon as you photograph the rooms, rip carpet and pad out right away. It's usually a dirty and nasty job. Wear long heavy rubber gloves, and be careful of the tack strip...the little tacks can rip gloves as well as flesh. And no telling what germs, bacteria or toxins may have collected there . In the carpet/pad as well.
  • Wood flooring, when wet, swells. Rip out at least the perimeter course, to prevent it pushing against the framing. I have seen Oak Strip flooring push an exterior wall out 2". Engineered products, not so much.
  • Above all, if water has risen above the electrical outlets, throw the main breaker (s) OFF, as well as each circuit breaker. Use dry rubber gloves, and stand on dry ground, or a dunnage pallet. Do not stand on wet ground unprotected. And keep it off until you can get a qualified electrician to check out the circuits.
SeMgCo87
AG
Something else...

There is going to be a shortage of Contractors. This will cause prices to inflate, as well as create long, long, long waiting lists.

You may find yourself, friends and maybe some day labor (MAYBE, because everyone else will already have them) doing the Rip & Tear, carpet/flooring removal furniture/belongings removal.

If you wait, it could be a month or more before someone gets in there, and then it will really be odiforous.

Last year during the "Tax Day" flooding, I was trying to get a fence contractor, but the one I have used in the past was busy doing sheetrock repairs, and trying to steal my painter. Not that he could do sheetrock repairs, mind you...
TXTransplant
Can anyone offer advice on what to say to people who have been sitting in their houses with all of their flooded belongings for days and think they can't move anything until the insurance adjuster comes? Some of them aren't set to be seen until next week! And these are people who had anywhere from 3-16" of water.
Zobel
AG
Tell them that the insurance adjuster needs to see the items but not IN the house. Take photos with a tape measure showing how high the water got, move it outside. Anything you don't want disappearing, put it in the side yard. Scavengers are already out grabbing anything made of wood or plastic from the piles.
Post removed:
by user
Philip J Fry
AG
Mom is telling me that an insurance agent told her neighbor that they needed to keep a 2ftx2ft piece of carpet in each room? That sounds absurdly insane to me. Any truth to that at all?
Zobel
AG
Yes, of you can get to the back side of a cabinet you can fix it without pulling the cabinet.

I was told if the cabinet is in an exterior wall you have to pull it though.
Zobel
AG
My sister was told to keep a sample of every floor covering you remove. 2x2 seems really big though.
Guitarsoup
AG
From my builder, Mike Wimberly '00

sts7049
AG
you could cut out some holes in the backs of the cabinets maybe. see how wet things are, and the holes might allow stuff to dry out behind there.
TXTransplant
Anyone care to elaborate on how FEMA determines the settlement. From my understanding, grants that went out after Katrina were were tied to the percentage of your house that flooded (as determined by the high water mark). But this was for people who flooded but were not in a flood zone that required insurance.

I'm helping neighbors who got the most part have flood insurance. I heard one of them say yesterday that she's not moving anything until the adjuster sees just how expensive her furniture is because she wants to be sure FEMA pays her for that. I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, but I don't know enough to offer advice about how it does work.
Harkrider 93
AG
SeMgCo87 said:

TXTransplant said:

This is a good list. But I would add the following:
  • As soon as you photograph the rooms, rip carpet and pad out right away. It's usually a dirty and nasty job. Wear long heavy rubber gloves, and be careful of the tack strip...the little tacks can rip gloves as well as flesh. And no telling what germs, bacteria or toxins may have collected there . In the carpet/pad as well.
  • Wood flooring, when wet, swells. Rip out at least the perimeter course, to prevent it pushing against the framing. I have seen Oak Strip flooring push an exterior wall out 2". Engineered products, not so much.
  • Above all, if water has risen above the electrical outlets, throw the main breaker (s) OFF, as well as each circuit breaker. Use dry rubber gloves, and stand on dry ground, or a dunnage pallet. Do not stand on wet ground unprotected. And keep it off until you can get a qualified electrician to check out the circuits.

And lastly, wear a mask.
Agsrock44
I had 2-3 feet when we were rescued Wednesday at 10 AM and it was still rising. I live in Hardin County (NW of Beaumont) and it may be 2 weeks or more before we can get back to our house. Getting everything out quickly is not an option. What can we expect when we finally gain access?
ElCheAg
AG
Agsrock44 said:

I had 2-3 feet when we were rescued Wednesday at 10 AM and it was still rising. I live in Hardin County (NW of Beaumont) and it may be 2 weeks or more before we can get back to our house. Getting everything out quickly is not an option. What can we expect when we finally gain access?

This. In addition to this, the neighborhood streets are impassable via automobile due to 3 foot high water on the streets.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
The disaster relief team putting together efforts at my church put together this slide show of tips and steps for remediation. feel free to share if its helpful

Steps to Mudding Out a Home
hatchback
AG
RCR06
AG
FEMA has changed a lot since Katrina. At that time their solution was to throw money at the problem, but it didn't really solve the problem. If she has flood insurance don't expect to get anything from FEMA. If you didnt have flood insurance and you have a good job don't expect anything from FEMA outside of a low interest SBA loan. You may get some housing assistance while you rebuild. With that said it's possible to get something from FEMA, but in most cases will be very little compared to what you need to rebuild.

With insurance they send out and adjuster and look at what you had, what type of flooring, sheetrock, cabinets, personal belongings. A FEMA inspection is mainly to verify you had damage associated with the storm. They don't look at what type of furniture or flooring you had.
TXTransplant
RCR06 said:

FEMA has changed a lot since Katrina. At that time their solution was to throw money at the problem, but it didn't really solve the problem. If she has flood insurance don't expect to get anything from FEMA. If you didnt have flood insurance and you have a good job don't expect anything from FEMA outside of a low interest SBA loan. You may get some housing assistance while you rebuild. With that said it's possible to get something from FEMA, but in most cases will be very little compared to what you need to rebuild.

With insurance they send out and adjuster and look at what you had, what type of flooring, sheetrock, cabinets, personal belongings. A FEMA inspection is mainly to verify you had damage associated with the storm. They don't look at what type of furniture or flooring you had.

This is exactly what I thought - except you shouldn't expect any money from FEMA even if you DO have insurance? I'm a bit confused by that. I would expect them to pay out something, but not more than ~maybe~ $20-$30k for a few feet of water.

The people in my 'hood who still have done nothing waiting on adjusters (and there are still a few) can't be helped at this point. So many others hired Servpro or companies like that. I've heard the cost for Servpro to do what our volunteers have been doing the past few days (ripping out sheetrock and all that) is $20k. That's going to eat up entire insurance settlements really quickly. A couple of people said they had supplemental flood insurance (like through USAA) and expect that to make them whole. I have no experience with that, so I don't know.
Chazz03
AG
For those taking out sheet rock above 4 ft up to the ceiling try and cut the rock 6 inches below the ceiling if water did not get ceiling height. This will save you the time and materials cost to tie back into the ceiling, match texture etc
Towns03
AG
RCR06 said:

where the hell does all the donated money go, then? Billions (with a 'B') are being collected by our govt and private parties. If that $$ isn't used to rebuild homes, etc, what's it for?
hatchback
AG
I guess I'll re ask my question. If the house had 6-8 inches inside does all cabinetry that sat in water have to come out?

Now that I ask it out loud, I realize how simple it sounds. I just want to confirm.
SeMgCo87
AG
TXTransplant said:

RCR06 said:

This is exactly what I thought - except you shouldn't expect any money from FEMA even if you DO have insurance? I'm a bit confused by that. I would expect them to pay out something, but not more than ~maybe~ $20-$30k for a few feet of water.

The people in my 'hood who still have done nothing waiting on adjusters (and there are still a few) can't be helped at this point. So many others hired Servpro or companies like that. I've heard the cost for Servpro to do what our volunteers have been doing the past few days (ripping out sheetrock and all that) is $20k. That's going to eat up entire insurance settlements really quickly. A couple of people said they had supplemental flood insurance (like through USAA) and expect that to make them whole. I have no experience with that, so I don't know.
This is my understanding of Flood Insurance:

FEMA designates one coverage limit, $250k flood damage and $100 for content. Supplemental coverage will cover excess value over $250k and $100k content, and perhaps some specific items. If you have s flood policy, FEMA can pay upfront to cover hotel and other expenses, but it goes against your limit.

The insurance adjuster will estimate refurbishment costs from standard rate tables for installed products. That's why pictures are so important and samples of the installed product, as well as an inventory list of furniture and belongings (and value). They can use that as a basis, but they will still depreciate everything for age, including cabinets and fixtures. Likewise, if you have purchased replacement value insurance, you can get like for like.

If you don't have Flood Insurance, FEMA can authorize a little cash, but not much. This is what happened last August in Baton Rouge. They may also provide a contact for a disaster loan, but that will be tied to your credit.

Hope this helps.
TXTransplant
SeMgCo87 said:

TXTransplant said:

RCR06 said:

This is my understanding of Flood Insurance:

FEMA designates one coverage limit, $250k flood damage and $100 for content. Supplemental coverage will cover excess value over $250k and $100k content, and perhaps some specific items. If you have s flood policy, FEMA can pay upfront to cover hotel and other expenses, but it goes against your limit.

The insurance adjuster will estimate refurbishment costs from standard rate tables for installed products. That's why pictures are so important and samples of the installed product, as well as an inventory list of furniture and belongings (and value). They can use that as a basis, but they will still depreciate everything for age, including cabinets and fixtures. Likewise, if you have purchased replacement value insurance, you can get like for like.

If you don't have Flood Insurance, FEMA can authorize a little cash, but not much. This is what happened last August in Baton Rouge. They may also provide a contact for a disaster loan, but that will be tied to your credit.

Hope this helps.
But you don't just get the max $250k/$100k just because you live in a fancy house or have really nice things, right? I live in an area where homes took in anywhere from 6" to 2' of water. So, not enough to totally destroy a house, but enough to make a big freaking mess. I was talking to people this week who seemed to be under the impression that FEMA would pay them enough to put their house back exactly like it was (these are $300k-$700k houses). We are also not in a zone that requires flood insurance, so the most anyone is paying in premiums is $450/year. I just can't think that $450/year is going to get you a settlement that makes you whole, but maybe I'm wrong.
TXTransplant
hatchback said:

I guess I'll re ask my question. If the house had 6-8 inches inside does all cabinetry that sat in water have to come out?

Now that I ask it out loud, I realize how simple it sounds. I just want to confirm.
I'm no expert, but I saw one house today (it may not have taken on a full 6", though), and the cabinets looked fine (even after sitting for the entire week). Another house that took on about that much had cabinets that I would want removed if I lived there (they had definitely started to warp and the veneer was cracking).
Zobel
AG
Man, even if they're plywood vs particle board I would imagine it's going to take several weeks for them to fully dry out. And even then, who knows what was in that flood water. Not sure there's enough bleach for that job.

Unless you can access the wall behind them from the other side, they have to come out to get the sheetrock out anyway. Evaluate then maybe.

SeMgCo87
AG
Quote:

But you don't just get the max $250k/$100k just because you live in a fancy house or have really nice things, right? I live in an area where homes took in anywhere from 6" to 2' of water. So, not enough to totally destroy a house, but enough to make a big freaking mess. I was talking to people this week who seemed to be under the impression that FEMA would pay them enough to put their house back exactly like it was (these are $300k-$700k houses). We are also not in a zone that requires flood insurance, so the most anyone is paying in premiums is $450/year. I just can't think that $450/year is going to get you a settlement that makes you whole, but maybe I'm wrong.
Houses have a lot of intrinsic value, more than just the hard materials used to construct them. Replacement insurance can cover a lot of that hard material cost, but very seldom the intrinsic value. Memorial area, West U and Bellaire are examples with lots of intrinsic value. Take a Bungalow from West U ($300k - $400k) and drop it in Ashford Village off Briar Forest. Do you think it's worth $300k there? Hardly. Maybe $175k.

So, how do you get paid the $250k? Take the appraised value of the house, deduct the land and foundation cost, and that is really the cost basis. Then, what you get paid is based on the adjustment estimate, with depreciation. Use the $175k from above. You have to have a lot of house to get that, and probably it will be better demolished than re-furbished.

I think that's the way it would turn out, anyway.
RebelE91
AG
I flooded in the late 90s and I had flood insurance. The adjuster calculated the cost to gut, clean, and repair the house. That's what I got paid from the structure portion of the insurance. But since I had a mortgage, the mortgage company received the check and paid the contractor. Once the contractor was fully paid, I received the balance.

Insurance does not cover loss in the value of the home.

I provided a list of all the lost contents and assigned a value to those. The adjuster wanted to see the contents. This value is what I got paid under the contents portion of the insurance. I asked for and quickly received a $5k advance on the contents.

I'm told by others in my neighborhood that the adjusters now want to see the contents INSIDE the house. I can't confirm, but that's what I'm hearing. I'm also hearing the other things about the floorings in each room and a piece of drywall that shows the waterline
Philip J Fry
AG
Contents inside the house is asinine unless they can come in the first day. No way I'm going to consciously let my house rot while I'm waiting on insurance.
TXTransplant
Had another one today. Flood waters receded on Tuesday. Went in a lady's house (single, three giant dogs) who had not touched any of the contents in 5 days. She did let people in to cut out sheetrock, but her house was still filled with all of her stuff...wet upholstered furniture, wet mattresses, wet books, wet stuff in lower cabinets. All because her adjuster (who is supposedly coming on Thursday) told her to not touch anything. We finally convinced her to let her throw it out, because the FEMA debris removal is scheduled to start tomorrow, and I told her that if she doesn't put it out, she is going to be responsible for having it removed herself. Oh, and she's also had the windows open the past few days because her "friend" told her that was how you get rid of the smell. I'm developing an intense hatred for insurance adjusters.
TXTransplant
As a side note, I met someone today who had 6 ft of water in the May 2016 flood. She said she got $70k for the structure and $8k for contents. If you have 6 ft, you've pretty much lost all of your personal belongings. So, a complete loss of contents is worth only $8k...?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.