House was flooded. Now what?

7,354 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RCR06
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXTransplant said:

As a side note, I met someone today who had 6 ft of water in the May 2016 flood. She said she got $70k for the structure and $8k for contents. If you have 6 ft, you've pretty much lost all of your personal belongings. So, a complete loss of contents is worth only $8k...?

Gotta document it well. They clearly didn't
TXTransplant
From this article, it sounds like documentation doesn't really matter...

"The rest of the payouts were for certain lost personal items that FEMA covers -- beds, basic appliances and some furniture -- and those calculations are based on average replacement cost. In other words, you don't get money for the value of the couch you had but for what an average couch would cost. And if you lost three beds but only you and your spouse still live in your home, you'll get money for only one bed."

Link
http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana_flood_2016/article_22c86fe0-64cd-11e6-9bb2-07f95d36ee28.html
RCR06
AG
Depends on what was in the house.

Also, something else to keep in mind is you can always request a new adjuster if you dont agree with the one you have. After hurricane rita my parents were first offered 10k by their insurance company adjuster for structure and contents. They went through 6 adjusters between structure and contents. If one wasn't beinb realistic my mom would call the insurance company and get another. By the time it was done they ended up getting well over 100k. This was a long drawn out process, but my parents refused to settle for less than what they thought was fair. Their house was almost a total loss.

I realize FEMA is the organization that manages the national flood insurance program, but when most people talk about FEMA it's not the flood insurance portion. From my understanding you contact your insurance agent that wrote the policy. They will send an adjuster and go from there. FEMA doesn't do the adjusting for national flood insurance program from my understanding.
RedassAg04
AG
TXTransplant said:

"The rest of the payouts were for certain lost personal items that FEMA covers -- beds, basic appliances and some furniture -- and those calculations are based on average replacement cost. In other words, you don't get money for the value of the couch you had but for what an average couch would cost. And if you lost three beds but only you and your spouse still live in your home, you'll get money for only one bed."

Link
http://www.theadvocate.com/louisiana_flood_2016/article_22c86fe0-64cd-11e6-9bb2-07f95d36ee28.html
This applies only to grants, not flood insurance through FEMA.
TXTransplant
RedassAg04 said:

TXTransplant said:

Link
This applies only to grants, not flood insurance through FEMA.
Yeah, I realized that. But I found another FEMA article that basically said the same thing, and it was for those who are insured through the federal program. I just didn't post that link.
TXTransplant
RCR06 said:

Depends on what was in the house.

Also, something else to keep in mind is you can always request a new adjuster if you dont agree with the one you have. After hurricane rita my parents were first offered 10k by their insurance company adjuster for structure and contents. They went through 6 adjusters between structure and contents. If one wasn't beinb realistic my mom would call the insurance company and get another. By the time it was done they ended up getting well over 100k. This was a long drawn out process, but my parents refused to settle for less than what they thought was fair. Their house was almost a total loss.

I realize FEMA is the organization that manages the national flood insurance program, but when most people talk about FEMA it's not the flood insurance portion. From my understanding you contact your insurance agent that wrote the policy. They will send an adjuster and go from there. FEMA doesn't do the adjusting for national flood insurance program from my understanding.
This is good information to know. I dealt with a homeowner yesterday who said she tried requesting another adjuster (I guess she knew the one who was telling her to leave the house untouched until Thursday of this week was full of BS), but, according to her, the insurance company refused.
Philip J Fry
AG
Insurance adjuster still has not contacted us. How do you become a squeaky enough wheel to make this happen?
RCR06
AG
With the amount of damage and claims coming in, to get amother adjuster will probably take a while. In my parents case it was a six month process with the insurance company, but the insurance company was paying their rent at a town house so they just stuck it out. Many people will give up before then because they just want to move on, fix their house and be home.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.