Camarillo Draft Round

12,772 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
Killzone3abc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's yalls best guess? I expected him to go in the 1st 10 so idk anymore.
phatty26
Aggie1205
AG
Keep in mind that some of the guys drafted in the 11th will get quite a bit more money than say senior signs in rounds 6-10.
Killzone3abc
AG
1st pick of the 12th round. 346 overall pick. 100 spots behind his mlb.com ranking.
zephyr88
AG
should have stayed
trouble
AG
He probably will but he doesn't have to leave.
Aggie1205
AG
zephyr88 said:

should have stayed
Lets see what his bonus is.
Fenrir
zephyr88 said:

should have stayed
He isn't required to go pro.
RED AG 98
AG
zephyr88 said:

should have stayed
he didn't / hasn't gone anywhere
Aggie Dad 26
What's his NIL payday look like?
Aggie1205
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

What's his NIL payday look like?
I'm not sure anyone really knows. He can get a 150k bonus without the A's dipping into their pool as a 12th round pick. No inside info, but I doubt he is getting that in NIL. Plus he would get his player salary from the A's as well.
AggieBB
AG
zephyr88 said:

should have stayed
Where'd he go?
RED AG 98
AG
AggieBB said:

zephyr88 said:

should have stayed
Where'd he go?
Northgate. Damn kids
zephyr88
AG
ok, I'm confused.... (legit question)

I didn't think staying was an option once the player made themselves available for the draft.

I'd think that Camirillo (12/346) and Aschenbeck (13/392) could make more NIL than what they would get next year from MLB. Wouldn't you think they would stay?
Randy Rhodes
He's from Cali right?

Maybe he goes cause he got picked by Oakland, but I don't know if anyone wants to live in Oakland right now
wurmhole
AG
There is no such thing as "make yourself available to be drafted"
trouble
AG
Baseball and football drafts are completely different.
bdgol07
AG
Asch is likely out of eligibility unless granted a covid year exemption for his time at Blinn. Ali still has eligibility, but may decide to go pro instead.

The MLB draft is not a "have to" draft when it comes to being drafted. The #1 overall pick could, in theory, go back to school or if they are in high school, go to college. The MLB draft offers certain amount of money "slot value" and the player then weighs their options and decides what to do next. With NIL, those decisions aren't as easy as they were before
zephyr88
AG
trouble said:

Baseball and football drafts are completely different.
Yup, I found a good explanation via Google. My first query had a different response. Sure would be nice to keep the band together, if that's what these young men want to do.
bluefire579
AG
If I got drafted by Oakland, I think I'd come back for another year
Rec
AG
So he doesn't have to leave, right?
12thMan9
AG
bdgol07 said:

With NIL, those decisions aren't as easy as they were before
Tell us you know nothing about NIL without telling us you know nothing about NIL.
Ronnie '88
well_endowed_ag
zephyr88 said:

I didn't think staying was an option once the player made themselves available for the draft.

I'd think that Camirillo (12/346) and Aschenbeck (13/392) could make more NIL than what they would get next year from MLB. Wouldn't you think they would stay?

Look, somebody just started following college baseball.

Johnny Manziel was drafted too.
RED AG 98
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

zephyr88 said:

Look, somebody just started following college baseball.

Johnny Manziel was drafted too.
Weigman is actually draft eligible this year. Now wouldn't that be hilarious
bdgol07
AG
How so? If a player could make 100k in NIL and improve their draft stock, coming back for another year is a real question to be had.
Ray Baker
bdgol07 said:

How so? If a player could make 100k in NIL and improve their draft stock, coming back for another year is a real question to be had.

Drafted seniors have no leverage and typically are offered a minimal signing bonus. No matter how much he improves or how much higher he is drafted next year, chances are good that he won't be offered as much next year as a senior.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Ray Baker said:

bdgol07 said:

Drafted seniors have no leverage and typically are offered a minimal signing bonus. No matter how much he improves or how much higher he is drafted next year, chances are good that he won't be offered as much next year as a senior.

Yeah, just look at what happened to Jake Mangum.
Townie in Exile
AG
That may be true but he would spend the majority of his minor league career much closer to home
Killzone3abc
AG
He'd have to put on a charlie condon type season to make up for his lack of leverage if he waited for next years draft. Age and leverage are big factors for the mlb draft.
bdgol07
AG
I guess I am more of a pessimist/realist in thinking that making getting a larger sum of money one year, finishing a degree, and then going into the minors with a lower contract number is a better life path than starting, what is almost a sure minor league baseball career without a degree and a few extra dollars

That is just the 38yr old in me I guess.
twk
AG
zephyr88 said:

It's NEVER been the case that you have to "declare" for the baseball draft, unlike in football. You can be drafted, decline to sign, and still play college baseball, and that has always been the case. If you sign with (and attend) a four year college out of high school, rather than taking a pro contract, you cannot be drafted again until you are 21 (for most players, their junior year).

The only thing that you have to do with the baseball draft regarding making yourself available is to fill out a form with some basic information that MLB sends to all prospects. If you don't send that form in, you won't be drafted, but you aren't "declaring" for the draft by sending it in.
Sq 17
Ray Baker said:

bdgol07 said:

Would that be true if he were able to move up to the 8 th round ?
Aggie1205
AG
Sq 17 said:

Ray Baker said:

bdgol07 said:

If he was to be drafted in the 8th round next year as a senior sign he would likely get far less money than signing now. Signing bonuses for the MLB draft aren't linear. You'll have guys drafted in the 7th getting 10k and guys drafted in the 12th getting 400k.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Sq 17 said:

Ray Baker said:

bdgol07 said:

Like I said, look at what happened to Jake Mangum.

As a junior in 2018, he was drafted in the 32nd round and turned down a $300,000 signing bonus to come back to school.

As a senior the next year, he was drafted in the 4th round with a bonus of $20,000.
ChubbyHubby
ensign_beedrill said:

Sq 17 said:

Ray Baker said:

bdgol07 said:

Like I said, look at what happened to Jake Mangum.

As a junior in 2018, he was drafted in the 32nd round and turned down a $300,000 signing bonus to come back to school.

As a senior the next year, he was drafted in the 4th round with a bonus of $20,000.

In the business world we call that leverage
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.