Camarillo Draft Round

12,868 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by greg.w.h
bdgol07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has gotten interesting in the fact that I was not aware of Mangum's situation. Was this before they changed the way the first 10 rounds were handled? I cannot find anything on when the change happened with the draft and the first 10 rounds being much different than they used to be
greg.w.h
AG
Seniors with no eligibility can hire agents to represent them. Only high schoolers can do something similar if I recall correctly, but must pay going conting rates for advice and terminate the relationship upon matriculating. Related bylaw 12.3.1.1 though I can't tease apart the 2018 update that the autonomy conferences passed.

If so they could be putting seniors at the end hoping they have agents. Or might even know which will have agents.

Keep in mind the slot values are set but there also is a bonus pool that varies by team:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-draft-slot-values-here-s-how-much-money-each-pick-is-worth-in-2024/ar-BB1pWHGa

More context including this:

" Bylaw 12.3.1.1 (Jan 19, 2018) For Baseball and Ice Hockey, before full-time collegiate enrollment and when an athlete is drafted, an athlete can pay FMV to and be represented by an agent for purposes of contract negotiations. Applicable only prior to full-time enrollment at 4-year university and when drafted, and representation has to terminate before full-time collegiate enrollment."
https://sportspanel.wordpress.ncsu.edu/athletes-and-parents/baseball-use-of-agents-versus-advisors/
ensign_beedrill
AG
bdgol07 said:

This has gotten interesting in the fact that I was not aware of Mangum's situation. Was this before they changed the way the first 10 rounds were handled? I cannot find anything on when the change happened with the draft and the first 10 rounds being much different than they used to be
The draft changed in 2020 due to COVID. That year, there were five rounds. After that, they started doing only 20 rounds and a lot of minor league teams were cut.

The point remains the same, though. When you're drafting a senior, even in a high round, you can offer them a minimal amount of money because if they want to play they have to accept.
Smeghead4761
Townie in Exile said:

That may be true but he would spend the majority of his minor league career much closer to home
Not necessarily...Oakland A's farm teams:

Single A: Stockton, CA. NorCal, not SoCal where he's from. Also, Stockton is a s***hole, and has been for decades. About the only plus is it's right on I-5 for a 8+ hour drive to Chula Vista.

High A: Lansing, Michigan.

Double A: Midland, TX

Triple A: Las Vegas. So sort of close to SoCal. Which is where the A's will be moving to in a couple of seasons (and in the meantime, the big team will be playing in Sacramento starting next season, IIRC.) Not sure what will happen to the AAA team when the big team moves into Vegas.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

Triple A: Las Vegas. So sort of close to SoCal. Which is where the A's will be moving to in a couple of seasons (and in the meantime, the big team will be playing in Sacramento starting next season, IIRC.) Not sure what will happen to the AAA team when the big team moves into Vegas.
They will move to Oakland.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
But they are moving to Vegas. So…
Aggie1205
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Sq 17 said:

Ray Baker said:

bdgol07 said:

How so? If a player could make 100k in NIL and improve their draft stock, coming back for another year is a real question to be had.

Drafted seniors have no leverage and typically are offered a minimal signing bonus. No matter how much he improves or how much higher he is drafted next year, chances are good that he won't be offered as much next year as a senior.

Would that be true if he were able to move up to the 8 th round ?

If he was to be drafted in the 8th round next year as a senior sign he would likely get far less money than signing now. Signing bonuses for the MLB draft aren't linear. You'll have guys drafted in the 7th getting 10k and guys drafted in the 12th getting 400k.

As a few examples, the Braves signed their 9th and 10th round picks from this year for $2500 each. Both were senior signs. The 7th round pick, also a senior sign got $12,500 vs a pick bonus value of $246k.
ElephantRider
AG
Moving past all of the general draft talk...do we think Ali signs?
twk
AG
ElephantRider said:

Moving past all of the general draft talk...do we think Ali signs?
Yes
trouble
AG
Yes
Ovalo
goosespn
AG
I don't think he signs.
Goosespn
Gig Em!!!
EliteZags
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Aggie1205 said:

Sq 17 said:

Ray Baker said:

bdgol07 said:

How so? If a player could make 100k in NIL and improve their draft stock, coming back for another year is a real question to be had.

Drafted seniors have no leverage and typically are offered a minimal signing bonus. No matter how much he improves or how much higher he is drafted next year, chances are good that he won't be offered as much next year as a senior.

Would that be true if he were able to move up to the 8 th round ?

If he was to be drafted in the 8th round next year as a senior sign he would likely get far less money than signing now. Signing bonuses for the MLB draft aren't linear. You'll have guys drafted in the 7th getting 10k and guys drafted in the 12th getting 400k.

As a few examples, the Braves signed their 9th and 10th round picks from this year for $2500 each. Both were senior signs. The 7th round pick, also a senior sign got $12,500 vs a pick bonus value of $246k.

2500 is what 1wk of NIL?
JPK89
AG
bluefire579 said:

If I got drafted by Oakland, I think I'd come back for another year

Why? Better chance to make it to the show faster.
halfastros81
AG
It's not Oakland after this year tho, it's Las Vegas .

Where their minor league affiliates are is probably the more important thing. I think he has already signed a contract .

Was going to post where the A's minor league affiliates are located but smeghead beat me to it.
greg.w.h
AG
Keep in mind minimum for MLB is $700K…
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.