Kaeden Kent

37,623 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Zona81
Agdad081216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kent he's here
He's there
He's every fn where

He is cemented in Aggie lore after that Grand Slam. Go get him back Coach Earley.
Just an old dad who raise 3 Ags. Inherited 2 more. GIG’EM
RossWag
AG
I'm sure coach Early is going to sit down and discuss what it will take to get Kaeden to return to the Aggies, but it has to be something they can both agree on and that satisfies Kaeden.

Personally, I think Kaeden is a better total package than Ali, but that is something the coaches have to decide and which player could fill the SS position; if that is what is really at stake here. Hopefully, coach Early can give Kaeden some assurances which will bring him back to Aggieland. This is a tough spot for guys with tons of talent, take a seat or side job until your name is called or move on to another team to showcase your talent, even if you don't make a MCWS.

So much of this is how to make the best presentation to get to the next level. Tough decisions to be made and someone is likely to be unhappy.
dcg4403
AG
twk said:

Kent wants to play shortstop next year. That apparently is his top priority above everything else. So, unless Ali signs, I think it unlikely that he will return. Our staff last year concluded that his bat wasn't enough to overcome Camarillo's edge with the glove.

What is the basis of your intel?

I honestly do not and refuse to believe that Kent would be such a selfish player. I do not think for one second that he is demanding to play SS. Or that he is even thinking SS or nothing mentality.

Source?

I personally think he would be perfectly happy at 2B which he can grow into SS after Ali is gone (could be this year but SS is still not guaranteed).

He absolutely deserves to be a beginning of season starter
Killzone3abc
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

I think Kent is waiting to see what happens honestly with draft and Camarillo.

I think he knows he would start on this team at short or second regardless. But you also have Chestnut trying to get an extra year also. And we brought in some infielders also.

But that is just my guess

Anyone that would start Chestnut over Kent should not be coaching. Chestnut is a great pinch runner.

It amazes me that your crowd can never stop ****ting on our players. Yall just never get sick of it somehow. Must suck being so miserable.
Seanzy2012
AG
DallasArchAg05 said:

RogerTheShrubber said:

Middle infield is middle infield. If he TRULY believes he has the stuff to be an MLB shortstop, PROVE it at the college level at 2nd. The only difference is the turn at 2nd for double plays and PERCEPTION!

Not sure if this is a serious post. There are massive differences between short and second. Not only in skill set, range, and arm strength, but also in responsibility. Yes many middle infielders are versatile enough to play both, but it's not the same position.

Massive difference? Maybe for us in Church League Softball. But for these D1 middle infielders like Kent or Ali it wouldn't be a massive gap especially in skill set.

But I will give you this, if you are used to taking fungo reps in practice from one angle and not another then the transition couldn't happen overnight, and you'd be better off with the SS on the bench than the starting 2nd switching over.
MagnumLoad
Killzone3abc said:

MagnumLoad said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

I think he knows he would start on this team at short or second regardless. But you also have Chestnut trying to get an extra year also. And we brought in some infielders also.

Anyone that would start Chestnut over Kent should not be coaching. Chestnut is a great pinch runner.

It amazes me that your crowd can never stop ****ting on our players. Yall just never get sick of it somehow. Must suck being so miserable.

It is simply true. Chestnut is not as good of a ball player as Kent. I do question Kent as a team player if indeed he is demanding to play a certain position. He just came off a team that came within an out of winning it all. He was a big positive factor. He would be a big part of next season's team, and would most likely start at either second or short depending on how things develop. But if I am coach and a player made such demands, it tells me he is about hisself more than the team. I tell him it's ok if he wants to leave.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Let's be careful with the accusations. It's been reported (not even something confirmed from him) that he wants a chance to play shortstop. I don't think it's fair to say that means he's demanding to play shortstop or is a poor team player. Quite the leap. Seems like a good kid that is super competitive and wants to do what's best for him. I hope that is here but understand if it isn't.

Likewise, our coaching staff has to do what they believe is best for the team, which may include the Washington shortstop and second baseman.
MagnumLoad
Notice in the text where it says "if indeed he is demanding ". Hopefully that is not the case. I will be disappointed if it is.
COYOTE1213
MagnumLoad said:

COYOTE1213 said:

twk said:

Kent wants to play shortstop next year. That apparently is his top priority above everything else. So, unless Ali signs, I think it unlikely that he will return. Our staff last year concluded that his bat wasn't enough to overcome Camarillo's edge with the glove.

I doubt that scenario. Regardless Kent was as good a 2nd baseman as Chestnut and proved his ability at the plate when it mattered the most.
I love Chestnut, he's a baller, but Kent was at the least 5th best bat on the team.
IMO if Chestnut thought Schloss treated him bad, I can only imagine how Kent felt. We have Chestnut's word on how he was treated, but Schloss demonstrated his disdain for Kent and was fairly open about it.

Schloss is gone. So, does Kent dislike Early also.

I'd imagine not. Players all like him. Relationship between Kent and Earley is not the point. My point from my observation of watching 90% of the season and all of the postseason was that Kent was better than Chestnut at the plate and probably as good fielding (much surer arm).
I don't think Schloss liked him and made reference to the fact in interviews. Kent is a dude and is my favorite Aggie. Hope he returns.
COYOTE1213
MagnumLoad said:

Killzone3abc said:

MagnumLoad said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

It is simply true. Chestnut is not as good of a ball player as Kent. I do question Kent as a team player if indeed he is demanding to play a certain position. He just came off a team that came within an out of winning it all. He was a big positive factor. He would be a big part of next season's team, and would most likely start at either second or short depending on how things develop. But if I am coach and a player made such demands, it tells me he is about hisself more than the team. I tell him it's ok if he wants to leave.

I totally agree.
And don't think the former poster was saying anything derogatory about Chestnut. More about Schloss not liking Kent.
I love Kent's play. But certainly not going to play hostage to him.
Killzone3abc
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Killzone3abc said:

MagnumLoad said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Except it isn't. Kent got several chances to secure the 2B job. He couldn't do it. Chestnut came in and played well immediately and consistently until the time the entire team slumped after the Georgia series. If you believe that's true then you simply didn't watch the games while 2B was still up for grabs. I like Kent. I think he's a baller. I wanted him to get even more chances than he got early. He didn't capitalize on the early chances he got though. That guy you saw in the post season is not the guy who couldn't secure the 2B job.

All that type of comment does is degrade chestnut who stepped up when nobody else would to secure the 2B spot. It's rude, unnecessary, and most importantly just blatantly wrong. Every year in every sport these boards pick a couple players on a team and go out of their way to **** on them. This year it was Targac and Chestnut for baseball. Yall need to grow tf up.
HTownMan87
Chestnut is clearly a great defensive player, do not remember him making many errors and his range is elite.
Premieraggie
The fact remains, we need an ELITE shortstop.
Aginnebraska
AG
Kent can and will grow as a player. That's what good coaching does. We caught a glimpse of what he is capable of and players like that will eventually find a spot on the roster.
ElephantRider
AG
W said:

it's very understandable that he wants to be a starter

needs to showcase his talents for a full season for the draft
He will absolutely have a starting job if he stays. Just a matter of what position; he wants to play SS but Camarillo may be back
themissinglink
AG
We've got 2 committed from the HS ranks, but tough to expect freshmen to come in and play right away even though we've had several examples over the last several years in Jace, GG, Sorrell, etc.

I'd feel really good about our lineup next year you told me Kent was the starting SS and even better about it if you told me he was the starting 2B. He showed enough with the glove at 2B I'm confident he could be at worst a competent defensive SS in the SEC.
Aston94
AG
RogerTheShrubber said:

Middle infield is middle infield. If he TRULY believes he has the stuff to be an MLB shortstop, PROVE it at the college level at 2nd. The only difference is the turn at 2nd for double plays and PERCEPTION!

If you cannot play SS for your college team you aren't going to play SS in the pros. If he really wants to play SS then he needs to play it in college.
TMartin

Kent will be a starter regardless of what else transpires. I wonder who is actually doing the negotiating for Kaeden? His dad wanted to play second base for the Astros and Biggio moved to the outfield. Playing for this fan base who is all in for him is something I hope he doesn't waste.

LB12Diamond
AG
Said this on the portal thread. Kent was probably like Bell and already knew he would be hitting the portal during the regular season.

Then he plays, does great and POS leaves.

We shall see what takes place. I doubt he makes a choice until after the draft.

I don't think position matters. Just wants to play.
htxag09
AG
I understand you have to do what you think is best for your career at the end of the day. And I get that Kent may believe that is playing SS at a different school.

But....man.....I can't imagine playing in front of a crowd like Blue Bell at that Super Regional, them chanting your name, and then willingly leaving....
cmac94
AG
Kent is amazing and with tons of upside…..hope he comes back. Would be huge to have him in the lineup. He hit and hit often down the stretch
AG
RogerTheShrubber said:

If he TRULY believes he has the stuff to be an MLB shortstop, PROVE it at the college level at 2nd.

WHA????
HTownMan87
4 said:

RogerTheShrubber said:

If he TRULY believes he has the stuff to be an MLB shortstop, PROVE it at the college level at 2nd.

WHA????
Even better, prove it at DH
P.U.T.U
AG
I was curious and looked last night, the average MLB salary of 2nd and SS are the exact same, curious on why he may be wanting to play SS so strongly
PA24
AG
One of my favorite players, kid is part of something big and needs to stay.
twk
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I was curious and looked last night, the average MLB salary of 2nd and SS are the exact same, curious on why he may be wanting to play SS so strongly
Better question would be how many MLB 2nd basemen played shortstop in college vs. second base. I would be willing to bet that a majority of them were at SS in college.
htxag09
AG
P.U.T.U said:

What's the comparison of number of SS vs 2B drafted?
WoMD
I'm actually shocked that on a baseball forum that there are people claiming that SS is the same as 2nd in terms of skillset and ability, as well as perception.

Tell me you've never played baseball without telling me you've never played baseball. At least at a competitive level.
StinkyPinky
AG
Killzone3abc said:

MagnumLoad said:

Killzone3abc said:

MagnumLoad said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Except it isn't. Kent got several chances to secure the 2B job. He couldn't do it. Chestnut came in and played well immediately and consistently until the time the entire team slumped after the Georgia series. If you believe that's true then you simply didn't watch the games while 2B was still up for grabs. I like Kent. I think he's a baller. I wanted him to get even more chances than he got early. He didn't capitalize on the early chances he got though. That guy you saw in the post season is not the guy who couldn't secure the 2B job.

All that type of comment does is degrade chestnut who stepped up when nobody else would to secure the 2B spot. It's rude, unnecessary, and most importantly just blatantly wrong. Every year in every sport these boards pick a couple players on a team and go out of their way to **** on them. This year it was Targac and Chestnut for baseball. Yall need to grow tf up.
POTD. You nailed it.
IslanderAg04
MagnumLoad said:

Killzone3abc said:

MagnumLoad said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

Chestnut scored the first run in game three, primarily bc of his base running skills. He also has one of the higher OBP's on the team. Sadly he hit a slump at the wrong time. Cut the kid some slack.
cdowl38
AG
P.U.T.U
AG
htxag09 said:

P.U.T.U said:

What's the comparison of number of SS vs 2B drafted?
Good question.

As someone did bring up SS and 2nd often have different skill sets. The one that comes to mind first is arm strength. I have not seen enough of Kent to know what kind of arm strength he has, also what kind of agility. If I remember correctly Jeff Kent played 2nd, 3rd, and some first. Wasn't quick enough to play SS
RED AG 98
AG
BACK!!!!

Ags2013
AG
LETS GOOOOO

AgBQ-00
AG
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.