Braden

13,705 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Aggie Dad 26
tkag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has Braden officially declared for the draft? It sounds like a lot of players want to come back and stick it to the dirt bag that left us. Is there any chance with NIL and the right coach he comes back?
1991sir
I think it's obvious… I mean he is a top 10 pick… as red a$$ as that would be. It's not going to happen. If he hurts something next year, he will not be a first round draft pick..
Sean98
AG
You don't declare for the draft in baseball like you do in basketball.

He will be drafted, very high, and will be a great MLB ambassador for our program.

His slot value will likely be $5-8M.
histag10
AG
You don't have to declare for the draft in baseball. You get drafted. Then you decide if you want to sign your contract or turn it down. It does not affect your eligibility in college.

That said- he will draft incredibly high and will be (with 99.9% certainty) leaving for the MLiB. We can all hope he and his mother continue to be great ambassadors for our school.
jkag89
You don't have to for baseball. He is eligible for the draft. Will likely be a top 10 pick. If he falls below that will still likely get top 10 money. He won't be coming back to A&M. Wish him the best of luck in his career.
ptothemo
AG
Baseball players don't "declare" for the draft. They are draft eligible, get drafted (or not), and then decide to sign (or not). There's no formal declaration like other sports.

Braden would be crazy to turn down top-10 money and come back to school for any reason. His injury this year is actually the best evidence as to why he shouldn't do that. Also, he would lose tons of leverage if he were out out of eligibility.

I would love to see his name in our lineup next year, but there is no way I would want that for him in the big picture.
ptothemo
AG
12:46
12:47
12:48
12:49

Baseball board is hoppin'.

I'll go back to being a silent observer now.
203Raggie
AG
In baseball, it's important that top tier players leave before the end of their eligibility for leverage in negotiations. I wish the system was different. But it's not.
aggiebacker81
AG
So does his injury not affect his potential draft status? He was expected to be around five before he hit his slump in May and before he broke his ankle.

I wonder what affect those two things will have. If his Mom is a doctor money may not be as important as it is to others. I think he is going to get to the majors at about the same time whether he plays here or in the minors because he will have to learn to trust that smile again mentally and physically.

The saga of A&M baseball continues. So many story lines.
DallasAg 94

Here is the Slot Money you are looking at.
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-2024-bonus-pick-values

Even if we got him $6M in NIL, he'd have another issue. In MLB, teams often draft Seniors and lowball them because they know he has little power. They may not want to screw BM over, but they could offer him $100K to sign and if he doesn't, he ends up playing Indy ball and unaffiliated to get drafted the next year.

Once a MLB team signs a player, they have control of him for 3-5 years of organizational control depending on his age when signed... and then once he starts playing MLB... the team gets him for 3 Serf years (league Minimum of $700K +/-) and then 3 Arb years.

If BM can get his MLB clock rolling in 2025, he'll be a FA sooner to make legit money.
203Raggie
AG
aggiebacker81 said:

So does his injury not affect his potential draft status? He was expected to be around five before he hit his slump in May and before he broke his ankle.

I wonder what affect those two things will have. If his Mom is a doctor money may not be as important as it is to others. I think he is going to get to the majors at about the same time whether he plays here or in the minors because he will have to learn to trust that smile again mentally and physically.

The slump is a non factor and the injury isn't gonna have long term implications. He will not make more money next year. It actually wouldn't even be close due to the loss of leverage.
DallasAg 94
aggiebacker81 said:

Here is your answer:

First Round
[ol]
  • Guardians: $10,570,600
  • Reds: $9,785,000
  • Rockies: $9,070,800
  • Athletics: $8,370,800
  • White Sox: $7,763,700
  • [/ol]
    • 20. Blue Jays: $4,073,400
    • 21. Twins: $3,934,400
    • 22. Orioles: $3,802,200
    • 23. Dodgers: $3,676,400
    • 24. Braves: $3,556,300
    • 25. Padres: $3,442,100*

I can't imagine he drops more than 5-10 slots unless there is real structural damage. Hypothetically, if he drops 20 slots, you're talke $3.5M

RGLAG85
    AG
    So when will Monty declare for the draft?
    fightingfarmer09
    We should be encouraging players to be drafted and play in the MLB. It helps recruiting to see athletes develop and succeed.
    LincolnBorglum79
    AG
    No declaring needed as has been stated. If he comes back I doubt he falls too far if at all in the next draft. Of course he loses leverage but he might get to the majors quicker. A lot depends on how high he goes and does he like that team. But not much chance he comes back but he will make millions either way.
    Duck Sausage
    AG
    FWIW was told by someone that spoke to the family at the CWS. The goal is Top 5 pick. If not, there's a possibility of a return.
    cupofjoe04
    AG
    DallasAg 94 said:

Here is the Slot Money you are looking at.

Even if we got him $6M in NIL, he'd have another issue. In MLB, teams often draft Seniors and lowball them because they know he has little power. They may not want to screw BM over, but they could offer him $100K to sign and if he doesn't, he ends up playing Indy ball and unaffiliated to get drafted the next year.

Once a MLB team signs a player, they have control of him for 3-5 years of organizational control depending on his age when signed... and then once he starts playing MLB... the team gets him for 3 Serf years (league Minimum of $700K +/-) and then 3 Arb years.

If BM can get his MLB clock rolling in 2025, he'll be a FA sooner to make legit money.

This is a great breakdown.

But, 100K signing bonus and 700K/year IS legit money. I know that most guys are making 5-15M/yr. But 700K ain't nothing to sneeze at.
    RED AG 98
    AG
    Also ballpark top tier NIL money for 2023.
    Ag_EE_88
    AG
    Bigger question may be…..does his mom support Earley? She seems to be ticked at Cain for sending him home.
    aggiebacker81
    AG
    Didn't realize they could low ball him like that in the first round. I thought it was slotted. The leverage deal makes total sense

Thanks for the explanation. MLB draft pay stuff is so complicated.

Hope he doesn't drop to far in the draft.
    Divining Rod
    Even if he was 100% certain going MLB, I'm sure he is included (damn sure better be) in any and all discussions that Alberts has with our players re potential coaching hires. A great character guy like that, you take advantage of his insight and opinion, and it's also common decency. One grea Ag!
    Sq 17
    I am glad Braden won't be back because that means his injury is minor and he can get on with becoming an MLB player
    annie88
    AG
    Sean98 said:

You don't declare for the draft in baseball like you do in basketball.

He will be drafted, very high, and will be a great MLB ambassador for our program.

His slot value will likely be $5-8M.
    I hope the Astros get him. And please don't get into a pissing war with me between the Astros and the Rangers or any rude comments, I'm not looking for an MLB fight. I just made a comment to my preference.
    trouble
    AG
    Appears to. She retweeted the managers' post about him.
    trouble
    AG
    Sq 17 said:

I am glad Braden won't be back because that means his injury is minor and he can get on with becoming an MLB player
    It was a clean break and he's already out of his cast.
    tingyi0705
    He is a top 10 pick. No way Astros or Rangers get him
    NoahAg
    RGLAG85 said:

I read somewhere that you don't have to declare for the draft. Can someone confirm?
    ChubbyHubby
    NoahAg said:

RGLAG85 said:

I read somewhere that you don't have to declare for the draft. Can someone confirm?

That's correct, there is no official declaration
    annie88
    AG
    tingyi0705 said:

He is a top 10 pick. No way Astros or Rangers get him
    oh crap, yep, I forgot, well there's that. It's always interesting that the worst teams get the best players but then again sometimes the worst teams end up being the best team so I guess it's just a turkey shoot.
    Sq 17
    I had figured with all the chatter he was expected to make a quick and full recovery

Still looking forward to the headlines of him signing for a Brinks trunk full of cash
    AggieBB
    AG
    NoahAg said:

RGLAG85 said:

Confirmed about 7 times in comments above yours
    TRADUCTOR
    Million or so to stay not bad for ~50 games a year in college compared to the grinder of 150+ games and travel in the pros.

Staying and being an Aggie baseball player is a no brainer.
    NoahAg
    AggieBB said:

NoahAg said:

RGLAG85 said:

AggieBB
    AG
    NoahAg said:

AggieBB said:

NoahAg said:

RGLAG85 said:

I know. That's the joke.
    Ag in ATL
    AG
    So you're saying he doesn't have to declare for the draft?
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.