*****Aggies @ Alabama - Saturday*****

154,248 Views | 2149 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Sea Pony 07
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
twk said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Agree, but Lamkin just doesn't seem to have the pitches to put batters away. Today, he just "went away".
It may be getting time for a switch on Sunday.
Maybe, but without a massive 180 from Schloss do not expect it to be CC. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that it would be contrary to what Coach said last week. A new week now, I know...
Adam87inSA
AG
Need to get Wansing at least ready to come in for long relief by end of season
Mark Fairchild
AG
I believe that Cortez stays right where he is. He's pitching at such a better level and I believe that has everything to do with him being the pitcher that comes in and "closes the door, and stops the bleeding". I also believe that is where he does the most for us. Sdao would be the one that might be given the nod.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Mark Fairchild
AG
Hopefully that will be for the Regionals. He has a lot to do to get to his previous pitching.
TAMUallen
AG
RED AG 98 said:

twk said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Agree, but Lamkin just doesn't seem to have the pitches to put batters away. Today, he just "went away".
It may be getting time for a switch on Sunday.
Maybe, but without a massive 180 from Schloss do not expect it to be CC. I'm not saying it won't happen, just that it would be contrary to what Coach said last week. A new week now, I know...

Lots of questions but that's why I'm glad Schloss is in control. He has an ability that I certainly don't (or haven't proven like him)
Mark Fairchild
AG
That's why I'm at the computer typing this, and he's standing in the dugout.
McInnis
AG
RED AG 98 said:

McInnis said:

I wonder what Kent did, or didn't do, to get himself buried? Is he still traveling with the team? If you wanted a big pinch hit opportunity to rehab someone, I wonder why not him? He usually makes contact.

It's hard to question Schloss, but kind of hard not to today.
You just leave Sorrell in before making this move. Sorrell 2x the SLG at .560. I like KK but he hits into a lot of double plays and slugs .290. He's not the guy for that situation imo.

Well I agree with that but there must have been something going on with Sorrell we don't know about. I just thought Kent or even Targac would have had a better chance of hitting something that would get the runner home.
Alex580
AG
Even if he could get to a place where he can give us 30 pitches out of the pen that would be massive for us
TAMUallen
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

That's why I'm at the computer typing this, and he's standing in the dugout.

Lol well I'm not class of 70 so it's via mobile device
RED AG 98
AG
McInnis said:

I wonder what Kent did, or didn't do, to get himself buried? Is he still traveling with the team? If you wanted a big pinch hit opportunity to rehab someone, I wonder why not him? He usually makes contact.

You don't think that move would have been questioned? With Blake at least you have righty-lefty matchup thing. Based on performance this weekend AND the data, you cannot make that move there.

TAMU1990
AG
powerbelly said:

Has Cortez done enough get a Sunday start soon?
This team is better if we can find a Sunday guy and leaving Chris in the pen. Like deep Omaha run/possible championship series better. We have a month to figure it out. Lampkin fixing himself would be the easiest route, but we have have to run out others to see what we got.
Sean98
AG
I like Wansing as a better option if he's right and we can get him stretched out. That seems unlikely at this point but I'd like to see if. Maybe get him a Tuesday start and let him go 2-4 IP depending on how he feels.
Alex580
AG
From the one appearance he had a couple tuesdays ago he still looked a long way off
twk
AG
TAMU1990 said:

powerbelly said:

This team is better if we can find a Sunday guy and leaving Chris in the pen. Like deep Omaha run/possible championship series better. We have a month to figure it out. Lampkin fixing himself would be the easiest route, but we have have to run out others to see what we got.
Cortez has the stuff to start, but I can see Schloss wanting to have him come out of the pen. Sdao might be the choice.
TAMUallen
AG
TAMU1990 said:

powerbelly said:

I do agree. CC is off and on but seems to settle after any time he is off. Better to come in than to start off possibly rocky.

Lamkin could be the guy and maybe today was actually a great way to shake him up a bit.

I do think that Schloss is more minded on developing now than sweeping series. I'll be very curious to see our remaining schedule and first couple games of a series. If it is our third game dropping then I'll be very much looking at who and how that happened.

Last note, it's great how we use CC. He could be earning a starter spot while the strong bullpen continues to develop
25txag
AG
Targac was getting hot. I don't understand why he suddenly got benched? His potential is far greater than the others. I think we need more leadership and our 12th man on the field
90ags
Sweeping the series was there for the taking (even with poor start) and always want to smack bama in any sport. Missed opportunity.

Pitching depth an issue and just not deep enough (esp w consistency). Could bite this team at the wrong time (during CWS and makes all of this for naught).

______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
SchizoAg
AG
twk said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

Road series wins are always great, but that's 2 road series we should have swept.

We have to quit using Asch in games we are up big. Flame away all y'all want, but it would have been nice to have him available for 4+ innings today.
This. So much this.
If you don't go to Aschenbeck right then, and Bama makes a run, you end up using him anyway and burning another arm in the pen that we needed today.
That would have sucked. We might have ended up losing game 3.
BLSmith04
AG
twk said:

TAMU1990 said:

powerbelly said:

Cortez has the stuff to start, but I can see Schloss wanting to have him come out of the pen. Sdao might be the choice.
If my memory serves, Sdao started on Sunday the first weekend of the year. I don't know why he got demoted to the bullpen.
RED AG 98
AG
Assuming Schloss stays with what he said last week and that CC as a starter isn't an option, I could see one of Sdao, Stewart or Rudis getting the ball.

Wansing would be a great option and maybe will in another month but there's just no way he's stretched out yet. Guess you could start him on a strict pitch count as we did with Tanner earlier if you wanted to.
twk
AG
SchizoAg said:

twk said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

Road series wins are always great, but that's 2 road series we should have swept.

We have to quit using Asch in games we are up big. Flame away all y'all want, but it would have been nice to have him available for 4+ innings today.
This. So much this.
If you don't go to Aschenbeck right then, and Bama makes a run, you end up using him anyway and burning another arm in the pen that we needed today.
Thats all you've got. If we don't pitch Aschenbeck there, we might lose the series.
TAMU1990
AG
Sean98 said:

I like Wansing as a better option if he's right and we can get him stretched out. That seems unlikely at this point but I'd like to see if. Maybe get him a Tuesday start and let him go 2-4 IP depending on how he feels.
I think he needs to get 1-2 innings on Tuesday and see how it goes. It looks like he had a significant injury and needs several Tuesdays to get up to possibly 4 innings, but I'd plan on 3 max.
jkag89
25txag said:

Targac was getting hot. I don't understand why he suddenly got benched? His potential is far greater than the others. I think we need more leadership and our 12th man on the field
Over Chestnut? Really? Travis took his opportunity and won the job.

I love Targac but Travis has played more that well enough to be the regular 2nd.
TulaneAg
It felt like Schloss was playing with house money a bit today and giving a couple people an opportunity to show something... I believe Targac has been swinging the bat much better lately and, with his experience, was surprised he wasn't the first ph option off the bench. But Schloss is a pro and I trust he had his reasons.
SchizoAg
AG
twk said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

This. So much this.
Thats all you've got. If we don't pitch Aschenbeck there, we might lose the series.
Huh? By your own reckoning, the worst that could have happened would be that we'd have to use Ash later in the game to close the door. That's a series victory.
twk
AG
SchizoAg said:

twk said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

This. So much this.
Huh? By your own reckoning, the worst that could have happened would be that we'd have to use Ash later in the game to close the door. That's a series victory.
No, you are making that assumption. If we wait to bring in Aschenbeck until it's a close game, there is no guarantee that he shuts them down. Baseball isn't as much of a momentum game as some other sports, but it can turn quickly as we demonstrated several times this weekend. With a series win there for the taking, and weather something of a question, I understand the move

Aschenbeck has had some long outings, but it's not usually 4 innings nursing a one run lead. Had we taken the lead in the 9th, we probably would have seen Aschenbeck come on to try to close it out.
jkag89
Pumpkinhead said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

This. So much this.

Schloss explained this in his post game interview last night. His primary goal is to win the series and there was uncertainty there would even be a game today because of weather. HE prioritized winning G2 and he's seen a lot of baseball and knows how fast the worm can turn so he wasn't going to mess around last night not playing his best closers.

And all this was played out this weekend. Went from looking like Bama was going to easily take game 1 to the Aggies winning going away. Somewhat the reverse in game 2 in which Bama quickly slashed a big Aggie lead, enough that we could never really shake them until late in the game.
Pumpkinhead
AG
SchizoAg said:

twk said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

This. So much this.

Will post this again. Schloss said in post game last night there was a lot of uncertainty a game was even going to be played today due to weather. He said he was t going to mess around taking any chances to give Bama any momentum and jeopardize the series win in Game 2.
SchizoAg
AG
I understand why Schlossnagle did it (this week and last week). I just disagree with it. With a 6-run lead, you need to be able to trust your other pitchers, so when you get into a closer game later in the series, you can still use your big gun. Both sides of this argument have already been repeated multiple times, so this is kind of pointless. But the proof is in the pudding: A blowout win in game 2, a close loss in game 3.

And no, this doesn't mean I hate or disrespect the coaches.
Sean98
AG
BLSmith04 said:

twk said:

TAMU1990 said:

powerbelly said:

If my memory serves, Sdao started on Sunday the first weekend of the year. I don't know why he got demoted to the bullpen.
It wasn't a demotion, it always intended to be a spot start. Tanner had an injury and couldn't pitch that weekend.
McInnis
AG
RED AG 98 said:

McInnis said:

You don't think that move would have been questioned? With Blake at least you have righty-lefty matchup thing. Based on performance this weekend AND the data, you cannot make that move there.

Of course pinch hitting anyone for Sorrell would have been questioned. As I said before, something might have been happening with Sorrell that we don't know about, maybe an injury. If you're going to pinch hit for him, Binderup seems like the most surprising choice. As far as the lefty/right thing, Binderup is batting .269 against righties this season and .000 against lefties.

I guess it could be that Schloss thinks enough of Binderup that he was willing to give him a chance to save his season at the cost of this game. Who knows? If that was his thought process, then we just have to trust him to make the best decisions for the long run.
VegasAg86
AG
SchizoAg said:

I understand why Schlossnagle did it (this week and last week). I just disagree with it. With a 6-run lead, you need to be able to trust your other pitchers, so when you get into a closer game later in the series, you can still use your big gun. Both sides of this argument have already been repeated multiple times, so this is kind of pointless. But the proof is in the pudding: A blowout win in game 2, a close loss in game 3.

And no, this doesn't mean I hate or disrespect the coaches.

The problem with your pudding is we don't know if your plan wins game 2.
Adam87inSA
AG
Alex580 said:

Even if he could get to a place where he can give us 30 pitches out of the pen that would be massive for us
Would've meant the sweep today
Bryanisbest
AG
RED AG 98 said:

McInnis said:

Hard to question Schloss? Maybe you should just not.
Hehateme1
Holee Crap !!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.