*****Aggies @ Alabama - Saturday*****

154,258 Views | 2149 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Sea Pony 07
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He swung 1-1 and just got under it fouling it back.
Aggies2009
AG
BohunkAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BohunkAg said:

aginlakeway said:

AgE2theBONE said:

I won't second guess Schloss for pinch hitting--plenty of others will beat that horse to death, but I do question watching a slider down the heart of the plate with 2 strikes, and just jiggling your shoulder at it.

Yep. That's on the batter. And on Ali for fouling out with a runner on 3rd with no outs.

Yeah shame on him for getting frozen on a nasty slider. And Ali not getting a clutch hit every single time
Didn't need a hit. Just a sac fly or groundout or something.

It's baseball. And it's the bottom of the order.
That bottom of the order is pretty dang good.

The pinch hit hurt more than helped IMHO. Sorrell had a good weekend.

Oh well. Series win on the road against a top 12 team. Move along and just keep winning.
BLSmith04
AG
Sucks that we missed out on a chance to tie Arky for first in the west
AggieBB
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Road series wins are always great, but that's 2 road series we should have swept.

We have to quit using Asch in games we are up big. Flame away all y'all want, but it would have been nice to have him available for 4+ innings today.
This. So much this.
aginlakeway
AG
BohunkAg said:

aginlakeway said:

AgE2theBONE said:

I won't second guess Schloss for pinch hitting--plenty of others will beat that horse to death, but I do question watching a slider down the heart of the plate with 2 strikes, and just jiggling your shoulder at it.

Yep. That's on the batter. And on Ali for fouling out with a runner on 3rd with no outs.

Yeah shame on him for getting frozen on a nasty slider. And Ali not getting a clutch hit every single time

We didn't need a hit. Sometimes it's on the players.

So we take the series and stay #1 ranked. Not a bad weekend at all!
BLSmith04
AG
Aggies2009 said:

BohunkAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BohunkAg said:

aginlakeway said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Yeah Sorrell got a sack fly his last AB. Exactly what we needed him to do here.
LB12Diamond
AG
Leaving the pitcher in was perplexing. Bc Schloss never does that one.

For the pinch hitter, all I got is he wanted a righty batting.
BohunkAg
AG
Aggies2009 said:

BohunkAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

BohunkAg said:

aginlakeway said:

AgE2theBONE said:

No way to know. Was going lefty/righty matchup there.
aginlakeway
AG
BLSmith04 said:

Sucks that we missed out on a chance to tie Arky for first in the west

Are you sure?
agswin84
AG
BLSmith04 said:

Just like 2 weeks ago against SCar, I'm super glad that we won the series. But it sucks losing the last game by one run. A game we totally could've won. Even though it was a successful weekend, I'm still leaving it with a bad taste in my mouth.
exactly
'84 '87 '89
Killzone3abc
AG
Anyone confused why Schloss gave some guys a longer leash or shot you don't feel they deserved its because we are playing with house money and he wanted to see if he can trust some guys that hadn't stepped up yet. I don't necessarily love it because I want to sweep but I get it. The season is a lot longer than this 1 weekend and we'll need more guys to step up.
Aggies2009
AG
aginlakeway said:

BohunkAg said:

aginlakeway said:

AgE2theBONE said:

We didn't need a hit. Sometimes it's on the players.

So we take the series and stay #1 ranked. Not a bad weekend at all!
Yep. If we do this in a Super Regional or Championship series, I'm 100% okay with it.
TAMUallen
AG
Hindsight is 20/20 but curious to Schloss's thoughts
95txags
Sean98 said:

AggieBB said:

Binderup?
I know we say don't question the master but I gotta

Why he wouldn't ph Targac there is a mystery to me?
Aggies2009
AG
95txags said:

Sean98 said:

AggieBB said:

Binderup?

When Targac gets out, it's usually by way of strikeout. That's one thing we did NOT need.

Sean98
AG
JDay said:

Very frustrating game. Bama got a ton of breaks and calls, but you have to get a run in from 3rd with no outs in that situation. Three terrible at bats.
Nothing terrible about Chestnut's AB, it just was unlucky he was up third
twk
AG
AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

Road series wins are always great, but that's 2 road series we should have swept.

We have to quit using Asch in games we are up big. Flame away all y'all want, but it would have been nice to have him available for 4+ innings today.
This. So much this.
If you don't go to Aschenbeck right then, and Bama makes a run, you end up using him anyway and burning another arm in the pen that we needed today.

The problem with the pitching this weekend was the short starts, period. 3.0, 4.1, and 1.2 is not usually going to result in you winning a road series. Some good bullpen work, and great hitting, gave us a chance at a sweep. If we get better results from our starters, the bullpen can be dominant. Aschenbeck, Cortez, and Sdao are looking really good, and others are contributing.
aginlakeway
AG
BLSmith04 said:

Just like 2 weeks ago against SCar, I'm super glad that we won the series. But it sucks losing the last game by one run. A game we totally could've won. Even though it was a successful weekend, I'm still leaving it with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not. I'm thrilled with our 3 of 4 week. Huge step towards securing a national seed.
BLSmith04
AG
twk said:

AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

This. So much this.
If you don't go to Aschenbeck right then, and Bama makes a run, you end up using him anyway and burning another arm in the pen that we needed today.

The problem with the pitching this weekend was the short starts, period. 3.0, 4.1, and 1.2 is not usually going to result in you winning a road series. Some good bullpen work, and great hitting, gave us a chance at a sweep. If we get better results from our starters, the bullpen can be dominant. Aschenbeck, Cortez, and Sdao are looking really good, and others are contributing.
Stewart looked really strong today, too. He kept us in it early after Lamkin got pulled.
The Marksman
AG
When it's all said and done though y'all, we are the #1 team in the country, 35-5(13-5), and our offense has scored approximately 1 million runs these past two weeks. We've got a few easier SEC series these next few weeks before we get Arky. Season is still going great.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Agree, but Lamkin just doesn't seem to have the pitches to put batters away. Today, he just "went away".
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
RED AG 98
AG
The Marksman said:

It will be interesting, to say the least, to see how Schloss explains pulling Brock on what seemed to be an incredibly tight leash, leaving Wilson in too long even though he yanked Brock with a 1-2 count, and pinch-hitting for Sorrell. Still Schloss' #1 fan but have a hard time agreeing with some of the decision he made today.
I'm going to guess:

1. We didn't like what we saw from Brock on the 0-2. (in reality I think the answer he played the odds. Changing from RHP that is low sidearm to LHP that is overhand gas is really tough, and he just needed 1 strike)

2. Wilson had some bad luck. Tweener ball to Travis and then Caden misreads a looper to LF. We should have been out of the inning and before the RIB they didn't hit him hard. (here I agree)

3. Closer LHP for Bama is really good. Sorrell had a great weekend but we didn't like the matchup. We thought Blake gave us the best chance. (here I am ok with the PH because Sorrell probably wasn't going to see a fastball. I do question the move to Blake but maybe he looked great this week. I dunno.)
Sean98
AG
Aggies2009 said:

95txags said:

Sean98 said:

AggieBB said:

Binderup?

When Targac gets out, it's usually by way of strikeout. That's one thing we did NOT need.

or the SF he had to walk the game off 4 days ago. His K rate is high, and the potential for a DP (which is why I wouldn't look to Kent there) but it's similar for Blake. I have to think coach felt Sorrell was in a bad place mentally after his earlier at bats. Maybe he'll explain and I'll understand. Maybe I won't. World won't change either way. Old guys did what they needed to get is in position. 1&3, 0 outs and I think this team scores 90% of the time.
twk
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Agree, but Lamkin just doesn't seem to have the pitches to put batters away. Today, he just "went away".
It may be getting time for a switch on Sunday.
missinAggieland
AG
Overheard as we were leaving the stadium. Purely for giggles:

A group of Bama students: "they beat us in softball and baseball, but yesterday was a double header so does it really count?" "And we still have basketball and football"

Then by a couple behind us walking to the parking garage, "yeh, LSU is going to take it again this year. Like they usually do."

My 15 year old daughter busted out laughing at both. Could not keep a straight face.
BLSmith04
AG
The Marksman said:

When it's all said and done though y'all, we are the #1 team in the country, 35-5(13-5), and our offense has scored approximately 1 million runs these past two weeks. We've got a few easier SEC series these next few weeks before we get Arky. Season is still going great.
Needa take care of business over the next couple weeks before Arky. Hopefully, we can win 7/9 in those next three series. Sweep UGA and then win the series at LSU and Ole Piss.
twk
AG
Sean98 said:

Aggies2009 said:

95txags said:

Sean98 said:

AggieBB said:

Binderup?

or the SF he had to walk the game off 4 days ago. His K rate is high, and the potential for a DP (which is why I wouldn't look to Kent there) but it's similar for Blake. I have to think coach felt Sorrell was in a bad place mentally after his earlier at bats. Maybe he'll explain and I'll understand. Maybe I won't. World won't change either way. Old guys did what they needed to get is in position. 1&3, 0 outs and I think this team scores 90% of the time.
Sorrell did really seem out of sorts. While Binderup seems a head scratcher, there wasn't any real clear better option.
McInnis
AG
I wonder what Kent did, or didn't do, to get himself buried? Is he still traveling with the team? If you wanted a big pinch hit opportunity to rehab someone, I wonder why not him? He usually makes contact.

It's hard to question Schloss, but kind of hard not to today.
aginlakeway
AG
Related note. Only 1 SEC road team has swept a series.

It's very hard to do.
BadMoonRisin
AG
We are the first SEC team to win a series in T-Town. I get that we are disappointed that we didn't sweep, but calm down and pay attention to what matters.
BLSmith04
AG
aginlakeway said:

Related note. Only 1 SEC road team has swept a series.

It's very hard to do.
Kentucky twice right?
aginlakeway
AG
BLSmith04 said:

The Marksman said:

Needa take care of business over the next couple weeks before Arky. Hopefully, we can win 7/9 in those next three series. Sweep UGA and then win the series at LSU and Ole Piss.

If we go 7-2, we're very likely a national seed even if Arky sweeps us. IMO. 7-2 over the next 9 games would be amazing.

I am not saying winning the SEC doesn't matter. But a national seed is a HUGE deal.
RED AG 98
AG
McInnis said:

I wonder what Kent did, or didn't do, to get himself buried? Is he still traveling with the team? If you wanted a big pinch hit opportunity to rehab someone, I wonder why not him? He usually makes contact.

It's hard to question Schloss, but kind of hard not to today.
You just leave Sorrell in before making this move. Sorrell 2x the SLG at .560. I like KK but he hits into a lot of double plays and slugs .290. He's not the guy for that situation imo.
aginlakeway
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

We are the first SEC team to win a series in T-Town. I get that we are disappointed that we didn't sweep, but calm down and pay attention to what matters.

Yep.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieBB said:

PhatMack19 said:

This. So much this.

Schloss explained this in his post game interview last night. His primary goal is to win the series and there was uncertainty there would even be a game today because of weather. HE prioritized winning G2 and he's seen a lot of baseball and knows how fast the worm can turn so he wasn't going to mess around last night not playing his best closers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.