*****Aggies @ Florida - Saturday*****

130,216 Views | 1750 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by you moran
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe he's sharing with the announcers
Sean98
AG
The Marksman said:

bullard21k said:

jkag89 said:

bullard21k said:

Our BP is scaring me lately
While not exactly clean innings, they been very good this series.

Lately doesn't mean just the last 2 days. And sdao has not looked sharp at all lately.

Stewart emerging as a dependable arm would be huge. We really need another guy who you can rely to come mid to late innings and slam the door to limit damage

I'm confused where you're getting this take from. Our ERA was at the top of the country coming into this series and pretty much all of UF's runs this series are off of our starters. Where is this "our bullpen is struggling" narrative coming from?
Recency bias. We had blowups against RI and Sam. But aside from Sdao looking bad vs RI when I think he was mentally checked out because of the 8-0 lead all of the damage was done against guys that didn't make the travel roster.

Guys with very little experience that didn't pitch well and are currently sitting in B/CS won't get to impact the games in Gainesville.
trouble
AG
I'm not even sure most of those guys traveled though
Sean98
AG
themissinglink said:

Tomorrow will be tough. Caglianone is their best pitcher but they pitch him on Sunday so he can play 1B the first 2 games.

15.0-IP 5-H 3-ER 8-BB 27-SO

Gonna need a great outing from Lamkin
He's been their best this year. Historically he's really up and down. Power stuff but can come out and walk 5 guys in a row as well. He's been nails in '24 but that's still in him I think.
Sean98
AG
trouble said:

That's why I said they're sitting in B/CS darlin'
trouble
AG
Sean98 said:

trouble said:

I didn't finish reading your post. I'm sorry. I'll do better.
AgBQ-00
AG
Sean98 said:

themissinglink said:

Tomorrow will be tough. Caglianone is their best pitcher but they pitch him on Sunday so he can play 1B the first 2 games.

He's been their best this year. Historically he's really up and down. Power stuff but can come out and walk 5 guys in a row as well. He's been nails in '24 but that's still in him I think.

Do they go sans DH when he pitches or do they leave him out of the batting lineup?
91AggieLawyer
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Isn't it illegal to not move out of the way of a pitch?

Rule:

Quote:

When hit by a pitched ball at which the individual is not attempting to strike, the ball is immediately dead;

1) A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, regardless of the location of the pitch. The batter must also avoid being hit whenever possible, unless the pitch is within the batter's box occupied by the batter. If the batter's action is deemed intentional, then:
a) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or if the batter moves to intentionally get hit or freezes to allow a pitch that is not within the batter's box to hit them, the ball is dead, it shall be called a strike and the batter is not awarded first base.
b) If the ball is within the batter's box occupied by the batter and the batter makes no movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch, the batter is awarded first base. In other words, a batter who freezes inside the batter's box and who is hit by the pitch shall be awarded first base.

2) If the pitch is ball four, the batter shall be awarded first base and credited for being hit by the pitch (the ball is immediately dead).

I think it boils down to this: if a part of the batter is outside of the box, and that part is hit, he isn't protected -- he needs to get out of the way. He still might be awarded 1B if not deemed intentional and/or he tries to get out of the way, but he has to get out of the way in that situation. Batter inside the box, pitch inside the box, batter doesn't have any responsibility as long as he freezes or otherwise doesn't "try" to get hit. In the strike zone, its a strike, and no award.

This is a judgment call that I think can be reviewed.
Sean98
AG
trouble said:

Sean98 said:

trouble said:

I didn't finish reading your post. I'm sorry. I'll do better.
Didn't you worry your pretty little heart. I'll just mansplain it to you and then you'll understand.
Sean98
Sean98
Randy Rhodes
He doesn't get to bat right?

I'd rather face him as a pitcher than a hitter. That takes a big bat out of their lineup
trouble
AG
I'm laughing too hard to pretend to be mad
bullard21k
AG
The Marksman said:

bullard21k said:

jkag89 said:

bullard21k said:

Lately doesn't mean just the last 2 days. And sdao has not looked sharp at all lately.

Stewart emerging as a dependable arm would be huge. We really need another guy who you can rely to come mid to late innings and slam the door to limit damage

I'm confused where you're getting this take from. Our ERA was at the top of the country coming into this series and pretty much all of UF's runs this series are off of our starters. Where is this "our bullpen is struggling" narrative coming from?

Our BP the past week hasn't been great.

The starting rotation ERA was also the top of the country coming into this weekend and has been completely slapped around

So while we have been good it's not like it's unheard of that we can at least be a little concerned that both the starters and BP numbers have been at least a little bit inflated due to a pretty weak schedule.
jkag89
Randy Rhodes said:

I'd rather face him as a pitcher than a hitter. That takes a big bat out of their lineup
He gets to bat if they want him to.
twk
AG
Randy Rhodes said:

He will be the pitcher and the DH. If he gets relieved, he stays in the lineup as DH
Sean98
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Sean98 said:

themissinglink said:

Do they go sans DH when he pitches or do they leave him out of the batting lineup?
He bats, then moves to DH when they pull him. So they go without a DH to start.
AgBQ-00
AG
jkag89 said:

Randy Rhodes said:

I believe if they start with no DH they can not designate one later. Correct?
trouble
AG
I'm not gonna lie. I wasn't mad that Garrison got hit
RGLAG85
AG
Nice win for the Ags!

Take the series tomorrow!
Sean98
AG
bullard21k said:

The Marksman said:

bullard21k said:

jkag89 said:

bullard21k said:

The starting rotation ERA was also the top of the country coming into this weekend and has been completely slapped around

So while we have been good it's not like it's unheard of that we can at least be a little concerned that both the starters and BP numbers have been at least a little bit inflated due to a pretty weak schedule.
Fair. I don't think any of us expect to be the #1 ERA staff this year. And I didn't expect Prager to go 0.00 even this far. But I didn't love what I've seen from our starters. BALL has really been flying this weekend though for both teams. And our bullpen has really kept us in games to give us a chance. For both pens to go scoreless 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 was pretty amazing tonight.

You have every right to be a little nervous. I think mostly you were the last to comment on the RP when a half dozen other chicken littles had declared our season was over because our relievers could get no outs against teams with a pulse.
twk
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

jkag89 said:

Randy Rhodes said:

He is the DH. Only time pitcher appears on a college lineup is when the DH is put in the field defensively.
Sean98
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

jkag89 said:

Randy Rhodes said:

I don't know how they officially designate it but their box scores show him getting full game ABs and it lists him as P/DH
dixichkn
AG
TAMUallen said:

GarryowenAg said:

TAMUallen said:

Daniel Plainview said:

That yelling Florida fan sounds like a winner.

I'm going to get bold here but if you are sitting in front of him, I'd say he'd be close to being as annoying as whistler
That's a bold statement, cotton. I'd much prefer him than the whistler.

Whistler I can actually tune out a lot of times
You're superhuman
Decay
AG
I remember we did this with Stripling maybe? He'd go play outfield when he was relieved.

And then obviously Monty has the ability to do it. Two way guys are cool.
bullard21k
AG
Sean98 said:

bullard21k said:

The Marksman said:

bullard21k said:

jkag89 said:

bullard21k said:

Fair. I don't think any of us expect to be the #1 ERA staff this year. And I didn't expect Prager to go 0.00 even this far. But I didn't love what I've seen from our starters. BALL has really been flying this weekend though for both teams. And our bullpen has really kept us in games to give us a chance. For both pens to go scoreless 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 was pretty amazing tonight.

You have every right to be a little nervous. I think mostly you were the last to comment on the RP when a half dozen other chicken littles had declared our season was over because our relievers could get no outs against teams with a pulse.

I liked what I saw from Stewart tonight. Was in a complete jam and made some great pitches with movement and location even his off speed stuff.

Those types of pressure cookers on the road against a top 10 squad is going to pay dividends down the road
Sean98
AG
Decay said:

I remember we did this with Stripling maybe? He'd go play outfield when he was relieved.

I don't recall this with Stripling. We've had a lot more position players come in as relievers (Pennington, etc) than we have starters who also played on their other days. There's been a free through the years for sure but none are immediately jumping to mind.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Rubber match tomorrow. Night everyone
cheeky
AG
What I've learned thus far:

Starting pitching is adequate, but far from elite. Both starters were hammered out of the game in 2.1 innings which is a full notch below not good. Tanner was particularly flat and elevated in the zone which = batting practice.

Bullpen is much improved and looking more like a strength this season vs last year's liability.

Appel and Schott should swap places in the batting order.

DH is a black hole. Schloss will earn his pay figuring this out. DH remains 0'fer the weekend. Targac has played himself out of the lineup. Who will step up?

Kent, who obviously struggled at the plate tonight, should start at either SS/2nd base depending upon Camarillo's OPS, but either one regardless. He's one of our best defenders and still hovering around .300. Good problem to have since we appear to be loaded with young talent who can slide into the 4 spot.

We don't have a pure first baseman, again (can't remember when last we did). Either we insert a hot bat over there to impersonate a first baseman or a below average hitter with a decent glove, but we are particularly poor at this position.

This team can go as far as the pitching will take us, and maybe a bit farther with an offense that could well average 8+ runs per game in SEC play. That's a long way. If we continue to improve in each phase of the game, this team could play for a natty. The potential is exciting enough to get a new stadium built.

Killzone3abc
AG
Can probably get 1 or 2 more from Stewie too. His pitch count was only in the 30s. Monty if they feel good about him. Antolick is probably there too. Hell if we were really desperate both our starters only threw around 50 pitches (they likely did threw a bullpen to get that up after the fact tho). I also only have Rudis down for 29 yesterday so I'm sure he can go an inning or 2 if necessary.
Sean98
AG
Even in my arguing mood there's not much to argue with there. Pretty solid evaluation.
Randy Rhodes
A&M has no chance tomorrow. Easy win for Florida
texAZtea
AG
Randy Rhodes said:

A&M has no chance tomorrow. Easy win for Florida
Why are you here?
Sea Pony 07
AG
Decay said:

The last pitcher I remember playing both was Brooks Raley.
Decay
AG
Sean98 said:

Decay said:

I don't recall this with Stripling. We've had a lot more position players come in as relievers (Pennington, etc) than we have starters who also played on their other days. There's been a free through the years for sure but none are immediately jumping to mind.

Okay i looked at some rosters and saw Brooks Raley as OF/RHP. I swear we did it with Stripling too but it's been a while so no promises my memory is accurate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.