*****Aggies @ Florida - Saturday*****

130,186 Views | 1750 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by you moran
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Pony 07 said:

Decay said:

I remember we did this with Stripling maybe? He'd go play outfield when he was relieved.

And then obviously Monty has the ability to do it. Two way guys are cool.

The last pitcher I remember playing both was Brooks Raley.

That guy's had an amazing career hasn't he? Twelve years of professional baseball and it looks like he's going to stick with the Mets this year. With a whopping career WAR of 1.1.
The Marksman
AG
Randy Rhodes said:

A&M has no chance tomorrow. Easy win for Florida
This is the kind of poster who is probably upset that Aggie basketball will probably make the NCAA tournament
tjack16
AG
McInnis said:

Sea Pony 07 said:

Decay said:

I remember we did this with Stripling maybe? He'd go play outfield when he was relieved.

That guy's had an amazing career hasn't he? Twelve years of professional baseball and it looks like he's going to stick with the Mets this year. With a whopping career WAR of 1.1.

Did Mengden do that too? Also Werner but he barely ever pitched
Decay
AG
Ah Stilly not Stripling. John Stilson. INF/RHP
McInnis
AG
tjack16 said:

McInnis said:

Sea Pony 07 said:

Decay said:

Did Mengden do that too? Also Werner but he barely ever pitched

Yes he absolutely did. I remember a game vs Okie Light where the hit the game winning homer and then got the save.
greg.w.h
AG
cheeky said:

What I've learned thus far:

Starting pitching is adequate, but far from elite. Both starters were hammered out of the game in 2.1 innings which is a full notch below not good. Tanner was particularly flat and elevated in the zone which = batting practice.

Bullpen is much improved and looking more like a strength this season vs last year's liability.

Appel and Schott should swap places in the batting order.

DH is a black hole. Schloss will earn his pay figuring this out. DH remains 0'fer the weekend. Targac has played himself out of the lineup. Who will step up?

Kent, who obviously struggled at the plate tonight, should start at either SS/2nd base depending upon Camarillo's OPS, but either one regardless. He's one of our best defenders and still hovering around .300. Good problem to have since we appear to be loaded with young talent who can slide into the 4 spot.

We don't have a pure first baseman, again (can't remember when last we did). Either we insert a hot bat over there to impersonate a first baseman or a below average hitter with a decent glove, but we are particularly poor at this position.

This team can go as far as the pitching will take us, and maybe a bit farther with an offense that could well average 8+ runs per game in SEC play. That's a long way. If we continue to improve in each phase of the game, this team could play for a natty. The potential is exciting enough to get a new stadium built.

Bullpen had holes earlier. Glad it's just the starters now and that they aren't leet. I doubt seriously Schloss keeps it all the same but I think he likes to see guys in a spot for several games in order to evaluate though might conclude he can't wait at times.

Targac brings something intangible that Schloss likes a lot. It isn't just playing favorites.

Great teams beat other good teams about 60% of the time in the MLB. We are now playing only good teams in conference. There will be a regression in win rate.
Bondag
AG
Werner did it in the game he wasn't fighting an injury
aeroag14
AG
cheeky said:

We don't have a pure first baseman, again (can't remember when last we did)

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?
Slided bread
AG
Need someone who makes a ton of contact in the DH spot
Sean98
AG
aeroag14 said:

cheeky said:

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?
Yes and no. Extremely rare to have a 1B with so little pop. That said, I'd love to still have him.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

CagliANone
I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm asking again. Where does the 4th syllable go when pronouncing that name? Can I get an Italian in here to explain? TIA
trouble
AG
It really depends on where you are. There's a whole bunch of them that pronounce it the way he does.

Others pronounce it closer to cag ly no knee
dixichkn
AG
Well he's already missing a "k" from his first name so that irritates me too

Maybe our pitching can provide him with a few K's tomorrow
dBoy99
AG
Chris Russ, but that was late 90s/early 2000.
Killzone3abc
AG
To add to the two way player discussion I'd like to point out there still seems to be interest in having Jett Johnston pitch. Coach talked about it last week that he was going to pitch agaisnt Sam before the game got tight.

Slightly unrelated. Do any of yall know why we've handled Johnston the way we have? He was a highly rated infielder and we've moved him to the outfield. Too crowded in the infield?
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I am glad we bounced back with a 10-6 road win to even our SEC series opener at 1-1. Hopefully, we can win game 3 tomorrow to win this series.
TAMUallen
AG
dixichkn said:

Quote:

CagliANone
I'm sure this has been covered before but I'm asking again. Where does the 4th syllable go when pronouncing that name? Can I get an Italian in here to explain? TIA

An actual Italian would have all of the letters included in pronunciation. Somewhere here it changed to caglione without a spelling change
cheeky
AG
aeroag14 said:

cheeky said:

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?
With all due respect, the uneducated have checked in.

Right handed defender with below average glove, arm and speed with a plus bat. Assigned to play single A ball this year and I'll wager never makes it to the show. Great college hitter no doubt. But that's not even remotely close to a pure first baseman; it was plugging a hole. Same thing we're doing this year. Ideally you have a left handed defender with a plus glove, at least average speed and arm with a plus bat and plus power. Name the last guy we had who checked those boxes?

Caglianone (UF) is a pure first baseman. Tre' Morgan (former LSU) the same. Left handed, great defense, and a plus bat with tremendous power. If we've ever had that it was before my time.
cheeky
AG
greg.w.h said:

cheeky said:

What I've learned thus far:

Starting pitching is adequate, but far from elite. Both starters were hammered out of the game in 2.1 innings which is a full notch below not good. Tanner was particularly flat and elevated in the zone which = batting practice.

Bullpen is much improved and looking more like a strength this season vs last year's liability.

Appel and Schott should swap places in the batting order.

DH is a black hole. Schloss will earn his pay figuring this out. DH remains 0'fer the weekend. Targac has played himself out of the lineup. Who will step up?

Kent, who obviously struggled at the plate tonight, should start at either SS/2nd base depending upon Camarillo's OPS, but either one regardless. He's one of our best defenders and still hovering around .300. Good problem to have since we appear to be loaded with young talent who can slide into the 4 spot.

We don't have a pure first baseman, again (can't remember when last we did). Either we insert a hot bat over there to impersonate a first baseman or a below average hitter with a decent glove, but we are particularly poor at this position.

This team can go as far as the pitching will take us, and maybe a bit farther with an offense that could well average 8+ runs per game in SEC play. That's a long way. If we continue to improve in each phase of the game, this team could play for a natty. The potential is exciting enough to get a new stadium built.

Bullpen had holes earlier. Glad it's just the starters now and that they aren't leet. I doubt seriously Schloss keeps it all the same but I think he likes to see guys in a spot for several games in order to evaluate though might conclude he can't wait at times.

Targac brings something intangible that Schloss likes a lot. It isn't just playing favorites.

Great teams beat other good teams about 60% of the time in the MLB. We are now playing only good teams in conference. There will be a regression in win rate.
If by intangible you mean a Mendoza line hitter who may lead the team in strikeouts then we are on the same page. I hate it for the guy, but he's a liability in the lineup and has been for about 60 games. That's a large sample size, meaningful, tangible and relevant.

I want every guy in the lineup to succeed. It's not personal just an observation of facts. 2022 production is likely a pipe dream at this point.
you moran
AG
Good win.

This is the SEC. Where ERAs go to balloon. Doesn't mean the pitching sucks. Especially against a team like Florida in Florida with strong winds (and they mash regardless).

A solo dinger is "manufacturing" a run in the SEC. Outside of maybe Mizzou whom we don't play. Like I said before, limit the walks and take your solo dingers like a man. And keep battling.

Prince Ali had a double on Friday (and stole 3rd and scored and had an FC RBI). On Friday. Not to mention the RBI groundout early in this one. So that dumb@ss post was wrong even before the 2 RBI single.

Aschenbeck and Stewart pitched great. Sdao was good enough. They battled. Good job.

Big win tonight. Win series, avoid sweeps. Tomorrow is going to be tough. Winning any SEC road series is tough. Especially against a talented Florida squad. We have a chance now.

Robo umps need glasses, too. Part of the game.
Killzone3abc
AG
Jacks glove was fine. Great contact hitter with a fine glove. Bad arm and low speed. Outside of run downs he played a fine first base.
OKCAGS
Dude was /is still a ballplayer. Brooks was a great college player that figured out a way to stay around in the Show for 12 years . Impressive .
Langley
You'll never be happy. This is college
twk
AG
TAMUallen said:

dixichkn said:

Quote:

CagliANone

An actual Italian would have all of the letters included in pronunciation. Somewhere here it changed to caglione without a spelling change
The capital of Sardinia, Cagliari, is pronounced cal YAR ee, so my guess is they would pronounce his name cal yah NO nee.
LB12Diamond
AG
It was the first win at the Gators in SEC play. They are a solid team. Middle of our lineup needs to more today to get the series win.
rathAG05
AG
I'm with you. I hate it for Targac, but he has been given a ton of rope and just can't seem to do anything with it.
203Raggie
AG
cheeky said:

aeroag14 said:

cheeky said:

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?

Right handed defender with below average glove, arm and speed with a plus bat. Assigned to play single A ball this year and I'll wager never makes it to the show. Great college hitter no doubt. But that's not even remotely close to a pure first baseman; it was plugging a hole. Same thing we're doing this year. Ideally you have a left handed defender with a plus glove, at least average speed and arm with a plus bat and plus power. Name the last guy we had who checked those boxes?

Caglianone (UF) is a pure first baseman. Tre' Morgan (former LSU) the same. Left handed, great defense, and a plus bat with tremendous power. If we've ever had that it was before my time.

Morgan was an insanely rare player. LSU hadn't had a first baseman like him in quite some time.

First baseman with the tools you're describing don't typically make it to a college campus
The Marksman
AG
cheeky said:

aeroag14 said:

cheeky said:

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?

Sounds like you just have a peculiar, personal idea of what a 1st basemen should be and are just going to disagree with everyone else's ideas because of your strange criteria.
ParkerAg
AG
These guys are definitely more homers than our guys, but I generally turn the sound off and listen to music when I watch away games. I did turn it on in the ninth inning to hear how quiet they got and subdued when we beat their butts. That was well worth it.

On a sidenote, I think Will and Boomer do a fine job on our home games.
Sean98
AG
cheeky said:

aeroag14 said:

cheeky said:

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?

He's not likely to go anywhere in the bigs because he has no power, not that he can't play 1B. Hell, defense for an MLB 1B is all too often an afterthought. If you have a great hitting catcher, or a second DH it's "teach them to play a serviceable first so we can keep their bat in the lineup." Most can't run, can't throw and will dig low balls with their eyes closed. At the major league level.

I'm a little more removed from MLB knowledge than I was a few years ago but I have trouble thinking of a single MLB first baseman that has the tools you just listed that isn't an All-Star at that level. Freddie Freeman I guess. And if you're not satisfied unless your college team has Freddie them I'm not sure you're going to have a lot of joy in your life.
AgEng06
AG
Not that it matters now that we're in SEC play, but the (rounded) double digit run average is still intact.
Lance Uppercut
AG
cheeky said:

aeroag14 said:

cheeky said:

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?

What a bizarre hangup.

Mark Grace wasn't Mark McGwire, but he still made multiple All Star games and played pro baseball for 16 years.

Second, Mark McGwire hit from the right side. Right handed major league first basemen are not some kind of an anomaly. There are plenty of them, occasionally a majority, on a yearly basis.

Third, Will Frizzell was the 1st baseman a year before Moss. He would be a stock image for a traditional 1st baseman in stature and was All-SEC in 2021, hitting .343 with 19 homers and slugging .686. He only had 3 errors on the year, fielding .992. And he was left-handed. So we did have one all of 3 years ago.

Finally, Moss hit .380 and .355 in his 2 seasons with the Aggies and wasn't a defensive liability at first. If you don't have a traditional first baseman but the person "plugging the hole" hits like that, especially in college ball...who cares?

RED AG 98
AG
Sean98 said:

cheeky said:

aeroag14 said:

cheeky said:

Ummmmmm……Jack Moss?

He's not likely to go anywhere in the bigs because he has no power, not that he can't play 1B. Hell, defense for an MLB 1B is all too often an afterthought. If you have a great hitting catcher, or a second DH it's "teach them to play a serviceable first so we can keep their bat in the lineup." Most can't run, can't throw and will dig low balls with their eyes closed. At the major league level.

I'm a little more removed from MLB knowledge than I was a few years ago but I have trouble thinking of a single MLB first baseman that has the tools you just listed that isn't an All-Star at that level. Freddie Freeman I guess. And if you're not satisfied unless your college team has Freddie them I'm not sure you're going to have a lot of joy in your life.

I suppose 6' 3", 240 lbs, .340 avg, 19 home runs, 1st team All American and All SEC with a left handed bat doesn't suffice for that person either. Or they just started watching in 22 because we had that in 21. More than serviceable glove and a fantastic picker too.

ETA: Lance beat me to it and said it much better
Lance Uppercut
AG
Also, since when are first basemen suppose to have average speed? Maybe the newest group does, but an article about MLB sprint speed from 2017 lists first basemen as the third-slowest position group ahead of catchers and the DH position and includes the sentence "This isn't surprising; first basemen aren't expected to be fast."
McInnis
AG
If he had said "a classic image" instead of a "pure" first baseman it would have been better. Lots of first basemen who aren't Lou Gehrig or Willie McCovey have had great mlb careers.

Jack Moss may not ever make the show, good chance he won't. But I would love him on this year's team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.