Set the bar this year.

8,757 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by tjack16
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not great at predictions under normal conditions, but there's no way I'd be making any bold predictions for this year. The shortened MLB draft last spring and NCAA eligibility waivers mean that there will be lots of talent returning everywhere that would normally have gone pro. Predicting the winners and losers from that process is darn near impossible.

One thing I do worry about is that I'm not sure the SEC will get the respect is deserves this year. With inter-conference action being adversely impacted by covid, I'm not sure that we'll get the RPI bump that we normally do. So, while being just one or two games over .500 in SEC play can sometimes get you in the discussion for hosing a regional, I'm not sure that will be the case this year. Without a reliable RPI (and it will be absolutely useless for the Big 10, since they aren't playing any non-conference games), I'm not sure how the committee will evaluate teams this year. In football, the lack of inter-conference play probably caused the committee to over value the ACC. We might see something similar in baseball.
2020P.O.
I think you'll see a couple new additions to the line up provide some missing power from the last few years. Have to rely on RC making up the pitching required that was lost...that's normally his forte obviously.

Knowing a couple current players...they hope RC is extended soon, myself included. Had there been a full draft...I think we probably only lose 1-2 freshmen, this will be a great class to build on - even though it may not have had the draftees (who leave anyway)
Agsncws
AG
One thing to keep in mind - we will face 7 Pre-season All American pitchers on the mound this year. 7! And that doesnt include Vandy who has 2 more.
jja79
AG
9 SEC teams ranked in the preseason top 25. We aren't one of them.
Luke The Drifter
AG
twk said:

I'm not great at predictions under normal conditions, but there's no way I'd be making any bold predictions for this year. The shortened MLB draft last spring and NCAA eligibility waivers mean that there will be lots of talent returning everywhere that would normally have gone pro. Predicting the winners and losers from that process is darn near impossible.

One thing I do worry about is that I'm not sure the SEC will get the respect is deserves this year. With inter-conference action being adversely impacted by covid, I'm not sure that we'll get the RPI bump that we normally do. So, while being just one or two games over .500 in SEC play can sometimes get you in the discussion for hosing a regional, I'm not sure that will be the case this year. Without a reliable RPI (and it will be absolutely useless for the Big 10, since they aren't playing any non-conference games), I'm not sure how the committee will evaluate teams this year. In football, the lack of inter-conference play probably caused the committee to over value the ACC. We might see something similar in baseball.

I agree and will continue the NCAA's desire to shift to more "regional" regionals...placing more hosting sites in non-typical geographies. In baseball they say tie goes to the runner. In baseball selection, tie will go to the northern schools.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
BQ_90
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

twk said:

I agree and will continue the NCAA's desire to shift to more "regional" regionals...placing more hosting sites in non-typical geographies. In baseball they say tie goes to the runner. In baseball selection, tie will go to the northern schools.

Except this year the ncaa will be looking for the cheap route. They have bunch of revenue that's not coming in from MBB
Luke The Drifter
AG

Quote:

Except this year the ncaa will be looking for the cheap route. They have bunch of revenue that's not coming in from MBB

And I think they will accomplish that by sending the at large and auto bids to nearby host sites. I'm guessing you'll see a lot of regionals that look like this...

Texas, Rice, Texas A&M, Texas State

Florida, Florida State, UCF, Stetson

UCLA, UC-Irvine, Fullerton, UNLV

Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, Akron
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Hop
Staff
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Florida might have been the best baseball program in the SEC over the last decade or so, and they just opened up a new ballpark with 4,700 actual seats (down from 5,500 in the old stadium) and, you all guessed it, two berms down each foul line.

Olsen Field got much more than some lipstick. New team facilities, suites, hi-tech press box...some of ya'll are just so damn salty about the berms...

We were never going to go straight from a pile of concrete Lincoln Logs to Dudy Noble or Alex Box.

It is lipstick. The infrastructure of the facility is 45 years old. Sure they added some bells and whistles that are nice, but we completely leveraged our donors for this capital event, and really it was just an update to a very old facility. We are already in the middle of the SEC pack in terms of baseball facilities, and we will be in the same boat in another 5-6 years as we were in 2010. We will still need a new facility, or a complete structural overhaul of the existing facility in a few years...if we want to keep up and remain fresh.
jja79
AG
How about a coach that can win something meaningful more than every once in a while for 16 years.
Hop
Staff
AG
jja79 said:

How about a coach that can win something meaningful more than every once in a while for 16 years.

Sure, but we were discussing Blue Bell Park.
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
Hop said:

jja79 said:

We are losing the arms race that Aggies have become famous for in the last 5 years for winning.

Hell look at what they've done at tu... the same sort of situation as Olsen, where UFCU DF is an old stadium and they did a similar thing that A&M did... they just gave an old stadium a facelift and added suites and a few other amenities.

However, now they've made extremely significant upgrades to all of their player facilities. That new indoor facility is top notch and makes our indoor facility look exactly what it is... just a shelter with cages.

It's getting painful to watch the other teams in the SEC build new things to attract top tier talent when we are stuck in coast mode.
ptothemo
AG
TKNR_Ags said:

We are losing the arms race that Aggies have become famous for in the last 5 years for winning.
Man, I have tried to stay out of this, but I just can't. In what circles are we famous for winning an arms race in baseball? (Unless you mean our pitching staff where it is literal arms and not figurative ones).

We can't say that we are going to negatively impact our winning by not investing infacilities, then talk about five years of winning while being famous in the "arms race", then talk about firing the coach because we aren't winning (enough), and all the while try to correlate wins and losses to facilities in a sport where there are many examples of the correlation not existing. The positions become so circuitous that they end up contradicting each other.

I realize it's the internet, but there are so many things conflated into a discussion of this program that it's not even actually discussion but a smattering of random thoughts and "move the goal posts" positions.

(Is it Opening Day yet? We need some games to start up.)
TXAggie2011
AG
There was no need to tear down the base structure of Olsen Field just to essentially rebuild the same thing. It was already a double deck stadium, with wide and easily expandable concourses, no obstructions, and the structure to support the new (and heavy) amenities.

At the old Alex Box, for example, it was a stadium originally built in 1938 and there was essentially nothing helpful to keep.

They tore down a lot of Dudy Noble because it was one deck, they needed two decks...it now looks a lot like Olsen Field and yep, even has some grass berm GA seating on each foul line.

I'm all for expanding Olsen Field and adding amenities all over the place, the way it was designed will make that relatively easy to do when the $$$ is there, but we were never going to go from original Olsen to something of the size of Alex Box, Dudy Noble, or Baum (which is a 25 year old stadium and the result of several rounds of renovations.)
jja79
AG
Hop said:

jja79 said:

Isn't this the "Set the Bar" thread which began discussing expectations for the season?
Captain Pablo
AG
jja79 said:

Hop said:

jja79 said:

Isn't this the "Set the Bar" thread which began discussing expectations for the season?

Yeah that's what I thought too

Cmon, Hop!
Hop
Staff
AG
jja79 said:

Hop said:

jja79 said:

Well, we certainly weren't talking about the coach until you took that random turn responding to a facilities discussion.
jja79
AG
The 1st post on this thread about the season, not the stadium, mentioned RC.
Hop
Staff
AG
jja79 said:

The 1st post on this thread about the season, not the stadium, mentioned RC.

And yet, you didn't respond to any of those posts and chose to interrupt the facilities discussion portion on the thread.
jja79
AG
Being confrontational with the paying customers isn't how most businesses operate.

The thread topic is setting the bar and the discussion was about the season and expectations. Down the page the facility was introduced. I'll just avoid threads you participate in going forward so as not to annoy you.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I'm predicting we win right around 30 games. Fewest wins since RC's first year. Losing record in conference. Looking for a new guy this summer. I hope I'm wrong.
_mpaul
AG
CampingAg said:

Baseball is so hard because it's so random by nature. Was RC a bad coach because Gideon threw the ball away at 2 in the morning in Fort Worth and we didn't make it to Omaha? I think there's no way that team goes two and out if they make it.
Because of that one play? No. But because of a history of ill-timed mental lapses and errors over the Childress years? Yes. We have usually been a mediocre to bad fielding team. It's almost like we play expecting something bad to go wrong at the worst possible time. How many times during the BDF did we have a better team than tu, but still lost the series? (I would say half.)

I firmly believe a team takes on the personality of its head coach. Just look at the culture change in the football program over the past three seasons. It's stark.

Childress is a good coach, and I think he's been very good as of late. I don't think he's a great coach, but he's making "great coach" money.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
tjack16
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

I'm predicting we win right around 30 games. Fewest wins since RC's first year. Losing record in conference. Looking for a new guy this summer. I hope I'm wrong.

What is the rationale in this prediction? We have a lot of talent coming back
Captain Pablo
AG
tjack16 said:

Bullpen Chias said:

What's the rationale for any other prediction?

Do other programs have talent?
Bullpen Chias
AG
10 SEC series. 4 against Top 10 teams - Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and Miss St. I can legitimately see us getting swept two of those. I could see us going something like 13-17 in conference.
tjack16
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

10 SEC series. 4 against Top 10 teams - Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and Miss St. I can legitimately see us getting swept two of those. I could see us going something like 13-17 in conference.

First. Preseason rankings don't indicate as much as people think.

And on the other hand I can see us sweeping Alabama, Missouri and Tennessee if we play up to our potential. Also there are no non conference teams that scare me on our schedule besides maybe going 1-2 in round rock

A prediction saying we struggle to get 30 wins doesn't make much sense given our easy non conference schedule
Bullpen Chias
AG
I didn't say we'd "struggle" to win 30, but I think we come up short of RCs second worst year of 34 wins.
Non conference: 20-6
SEC 13-17

So, I'm going to call 33-23
Captain Pablo
AG
tjack16 said:

Bullpen Chias said:

And on the other hand I can see us sweeping Alabama, Missouri and Tennessee if we play up to our potential. Also there are no non conference teams that scare me on our schedule besides maybe going 1-2 in round rock

A prediction saying we struggle to get 30 wins doesn't make much sense given our easy non conference schedule

What is your prediction?
Luke The Drifter
AG
tjack16 said:

Bullpen Chias said:

We have a lot of players coming back. I'm not sure we have a lot of "talent" coming back. Hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to imagine our hitters magically getting better over the past 10 months. They struggled mightily in the few non-conference games we played in '20...but all of a sudden they're ready for SEC-level ball this year? I hope I'm wrong, but that's a lot of improvement/development that will have needed to happen since last March.

tjack16
AG
Captain Pablo said:

tjack16 said:

Bullpen Chias said:

What is your prediction?

I'm predicting we either host a regional or 2 seed.
16-14 SEC record. Maybe 15-15 if we do get swept by somebody.
37-19 record

I think the pitching staff will be solid and the offense will be very good. Getting Jonathan Childress and Saenz back is going to help a lot.

Maybe I'm too high on this team but I think we will be similar to what we were in 2019. That team finished 36-19 before the SEC tournament and got the 2 seed in Morgantown
src94
AG
I'm picking 40-16. I think Callet has our bats going better this year.
src94
Captain Pablo
AG
src94 said:

I'm picking 40-16. I think Callet has our bats going better this year.

I'm hoping he helps
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm curious about Georgia. Seems I remember they were ranked quite high last season but aren't getting a lot of attention going into this season.

If Georgia ain't great, Missouri, Tennessee, and Georgia make three winnable cross-over series and then you hope to take one from Florida.
Rooster4Ag
AG
Aggies2009 said:

CampingAg said:

Baseball is so hard because it's so random by nature. Was RC a bad coach because Gideon threw the ball away at 2 in the morning in Fort Worth and we didn't make it to Omaha? I think there's no way that team goes two and out if they make it.

I know this: we have never been bad under RC. His pitching development speaks for itself(the debate about offense can rage on). Is the lack of success in Omaha bad coaching? The randomness of baseball? Both? I also know former players swear by him as a coach and a leader. If a handful of plays go our way and we win a game in Omaha in 2016 before losing the next two, does that one game somehow mean he's a good coach instead of a bad coach?

It's tough.
A "win in Omaha" is not really a metric to anyone other than the people who have made it their goal to get Childress fired and it's the only thing they have to hold onto.

You're right that baseball has an element of randomness (TCU needed their regional opponent to make 3 errors and a balk just to reach the Supers in 2015), but that doesn't matter to these people. They'll make a straw man argument and say, "IT'S ALL RANDOM HUH?"

You'll be better off if you ignore the "FIRE RC" posts/threads until after the season and enjoy the games.

HTH
It's always next year isn't it. At a certain point you just need to move on.
What have ye done to surpass man?
Rooster4Ag
AG
29-27

I think we get swept by Mississippi State and Piggy, and we drop every SEC series outside of Bama. The pitching is going to be a huge question mark, and nothing has lead me to believe that the bats are going to be dramatically improved.
What have ye done to surpass man?
2020P.O.
35-40 wins.....non-conference schedule is just too light for worse than that. I THINk 3-4 games over .500 in conf.

Back to the new coach thing....IF RC is let go, you can bet any new coach worth anything will require promises of facility upgrades. Not going to get one of the top guys to agree to take a gig that's beginning to fall behind in the arms race.

Pitching will be fine.....hitting will be better than last year.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.