Is Childress to Nebraska all that far fetched?

20,953 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Ackar07
technoviking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here are come comments from their side of things:

Quote:

Wouldn't be shocked if it's Childress. And if so, it cements the moose as the number one mammal on the planet with humans as number two

Quote:

This is my opinion on Moos after the last two hires. Childress is my number one also. With the Iowa Western coach as a dark horse

Quote:

Well, if they don't want him, I'll take him.
Aggies2009
AG
technoviking said:

Here are come comments from their side of things:

Quote:

Wouldn't be shocked if it's Childress. And if so, it cements the moose as the number one mammal on the planet with humans as number two

Quote:

This is my opinion on Moos after the last two hires. Childress is my number one also. With the Iowa Western coach as a dark horse

Quote:

Well, if they don't want him, I'll take him.

Well, if they want him and he's on his last year of contract here, it sounds like it's win-win.
BoozingAg
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

BoozingAg was making posts in the game thread that were being deleted.. he deserves a little ribbing.

Yeah. And what about you now that the season ended a few hours later?

My comment was lighthearted at worst.

Ditto

Sure. We'll see if mine gets deleted

Teachers pet
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg
Tex100
AG
technoviking said:

338 Followers
Aggies2009
AG
Tex100 said:

technoviking said:

338 Followers
A lot considering there are like 12 people in Nebraska.
TMartin
Seems like an ideal opportunity for RC since he and his family are so connected to Nebraska. I believe Rob would take Bolt with him and they could build the program the way they want. Not having to compete in the SEC may be exactly what the doctor ordered.
Aggiewife64
Coach will NOT go back to Nebraska.
histag10
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Tex100 said:

technoviking said:

338 Followers
A lot considering there are like 12 people in Nebraska.

what is forming and how do you get in it?
Aggiewife64
Coach Bolt will be the new HC at Nebraska.
BoozingAg
We rank 234 out of 297 in team BA and they're going to hire Will Bolt?
hunter2012
AG
BoozingAg said:

technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

From their side:
Quote:

Will Bolt: The former Husker player and assistant isn't a Power 5 head coach, but has been a key piece of two Power 5 coaching staffs and a head coach at the junior college level. Bolt has been in the mix for head coaching jobs in the past he was among the finalists at Sam Houston State in 2014 and comes directly from the Dave Van Horn coaching tree.

The fans seem to like Childress, Brian O'Conner or Andy Cannizaro the most.
BoozingAg
hunter2012 said:

BoozingAg said:

Yeah I get it but my preference is they take Childress and Bolt
jmcfar_98
AG
Aggiewife64 said:

Coach Bolt will be the new HC at Nebraska.

Maybe he'll hire Childress as his pitching coach.
twk
AG
BoozingAg said:

Who knows. He will get to divide the scholarship money between hitters and pitchers as he sees fit. My guess is that they field decent hitting clubs.

I think we can make this work for us IF Childress takes it as a wakeup call, get's a real hitting coach, and gives him a big enough share of the scholarship pie to do what we need to do. If he doesn't, and hires from within, without changing the scholarship allocation, then he'll be gone after next season.
Justice Beaver
AG
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

BoozingAg was making posts in the game thread that were being deleted.. he deserves a little ribbing.

Yeah. And what about you now that the season ended a few hours later?

My comment was lighthearted at worst.

Ditto

Sure. We'll see if mine gets deleted

Flagged
schmellba99
AG
nereus said:

He is only 50. That is pretty young to stop chasing the big goal of a championship. Sure, it is possible for him to win one at Nebraska, but much more likely for him to win one by staying here. I don't see giving up on the additional resources he has here even if he has a larger chance to remain the head coach there longer.

Even with their additional B1G money, they aren't likely to pour more money into baseball than us. We also have advantages in weather and recruiting. Moving from here to Nebraska is either a retirement gig or a private statement from our new AD that he is going to be fired July 8 and he should save face with this offer. I don't think our AD is going to make that statement and he is pretty young to retire from his dream profession.
Unless he knows that his tenure here is limited - like not getting a contract renewed. Sure, $800k is a whale of a lot more than say $500k, but $800k after 1 year is still $800k. $500k after 4 years is a heck of a lot more.
Aggies2009
AG
schmellba99 said:

nereus said:

He is only 50. That is pretty young to stop chasing the big goal of a championship. Sure, it is possible for him to win one at Nebraska, but much more likely for him to win one by staying here. I don't see giving up on the additional resources he has here even if he has a larger chance to remain the head coach there longer.

Even with their additional B1G money, they aren't likely to pour more money into baseball than us. We also have advantages in weather and recruiting. Moving from here to Nebraska is either a retirement gig or a private statement from our new AD that he is going to be fired July 8 and he should save face with this offer. I don't think our AD is going to make that statement and he is pretty young to retire from his dream profession.
Unless he knows that his tenure here is limited - like not getting a contract renewed. Sure, $800k is a whale of a lot more than say $500k, but $800k after 1 year is still $800k. $500k after 4 years is a heck of a lot more.
Exactly. I think that given his situation, down to his last year on contract, he'd be smart to take the job if it were offered to him. Unless A&M offers an extension which I just don't see happening.
BoozingAg
twk said:

BoozingAg said:

Who knows. He will get to divide the scholarship money between hitters and pitchers as he sees fit. My guess is that they field decent hitting clubs.

I think we can make this work for us IF Childress takes it as a wakeup call, get's a real hitting coach, and gives him a big enough share of the scholarship pie to do what we need to do. If he doesn't, and hires from within, without changing the scholarship allocation, then he'll be gone after next season.

See, why is the latter even an option? This is what I don't understand. Why does A&M have to EVERY TIME let the incumbent coach burn the thing all the way to the ground before replacing him? We have plenty of data to know that option is going to lead to failure, and then you've more more assistant money to pay out after termination. If RC is going to be retained, it should really be almost entirely out of his hands to go find another hitting coach. He absolutely should not be doing that on his own, or it's going to be the same thing. He should also be told to allocate more scholarships to hitters. I don't even know what assistant coach would be willing to come here on what's likely a one year deal anyway.
2020P.O.
Scholarship allocation pretty much is the same across the board at D1 schools...No? (Not talking about the unfair advantages Vandy/TCU have). Obviously exceptions...but it's fairly standard I think. He needs to get lucky with some pitchers/players that have families that enable them to walk on and spread the love. Seems some other programs magically thrive on that. Plus luck with the draft would help.
twk
AG
Quote:

See, why is the latter even an option? This is what I don't understand. Why does A&M have to EVERY TIME let the incumbent coach burn the thing all the way to the ground before replacing him? We have plenty of data to know that option is going to lead to failure, and then you've more more assistant money to pay out after termination. If RC is going to be retained, it should really be almost entirely out of his hands to go find another hitting coach. He absolutely should not be doing that on his own, or it's going to be the same thing. He should also be told to allocate more scholarships to hitters. I don't even know what assistant coach would be willing to come here on what's likely a one year deal anyway.
Burn it down? Do you ever not engage in hyperbole?

The valid charge against Rob is that the program has plateaued.

How many times do you know of an AD making an assistant hire and imposing it on a head coach? That is what you are suggesting, isn't it (hard to tell). I also don't know who would decide the scholarship allocation, other than the head coach.

If Woodward were still here, Rob would be in danger, but with the transition, it's just not real likely. Most new AD's would come in, see where we are, and tell Rob that another year of pathetic offensive production like the last is liable to result in his dismissal. That's just the way the world works, most of the time.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggies2009 said:

schmellba99 said:

nereus said:

Exactly. I think that given his situation, down to his last year on contract, he'd be smart to take the job if it were offered to him. Unless A&M offers an extension which I just don't see happening.
Looks like he has two years left on his contract actually
swimmerbabe11
PhatMack19 said:

technoviking said:

The crux is the salary and assistants salary. Childress makes around 750k, Erstad made 225k.
Erstad took a lower salary because he didn't need the money and wanted more for his assistants. The coach before him made twice what he did.

I didn't know this. That's kind of awesome. I
swimmerbabe11
2020P.O. said:

Scholarship allocation pretty much is the same across the board at D1 schools...No? (Not talking about the unfair advantages Vandy/TCU have). Obviously exceptions...but it's fairly standard I think. He needs to get lucky with some pitchers/players that have families that enable them to walk on and spread the love. Seems some other programs magically thrive on that. Plus luck with the draft would help.

For the record, TCU is not structured like Vandy and it's quite a bit different. That is TCU's eventual goal though.
schmellba99
AG
Agree, up to a point. Not a fan of the idea of an AD going out and hiring an assistant coach for the HC - that never, ever ends well.

Look at the 1993 Oilers and the 2006 Arkansas Football debacles when outsiders forced coaches into the circle without the head coach having input.

I'm not one to really defend RC, but in this case I'd be on his side if the AD were to do something like that. Now that being said, I could get behind a situation where the AD laid down the groundwork for RC and told him that changes had to be made and that it was not 100% the decision of RC, but he still had a significant amount of input on who to bring in. (Well, in a world where my opinion actually mattered anyway, so not this world).
twk
AG
2020P.O. said:

We're talking about how much of the scholarship pool is allocated to pitching as opposed to hitting. The rumor is that we are slanted more towards pitching--which probably is not unusual, but it can be taken to an extreme. Have we done that? There's really no way for any of us to know. Even the media folks who get paid to follow baseball don't know the allocations. But, given the way things have progressed over the last 3 years, it would seem that either we're allocating too little to hitters, or we are doing a horrible job at talent evaluation. Truth may be that it's a little bit of both.
BoozingAg
twk said:

Quote:

How many times do you know of an AD making an assistant hire and imposing it on a head coach? That is what you are suggesting, isn't it (hard to tell). I also don't know who would decide the scholarship allocation, other than the head coach.

If Woodward were still here, Rob would be in danger, but with the transition, it's just not real likely. Most new AD's would come in, see where we are, and tell Rob that another year of pathetic offensive production like the last is liable to result in his dismissal. That's just the way the world works, most of the time.

Sumlin didn't get Chavis on his own. He had help. When you leave a lame duck coach to make one last gasp desperation assistant hire on his own, you wind up with Gary Darnell.
nereus
AG
schmellba99 said:

nereus said:

First, We aren't keeping a coach for another year with no chance for his contract to be renewed. If that is the case, they will just get rid of him now. If he is back next year, he has a chance to be renewed.

I don't know Childress personally, but the type of people that rise to potions like this are usually pretty competitive and believe they will be successful next year. I'm sure he thinks he is going to host next year, get national seeds, make the supers, get to the CWS. That is just the nature of these types of people. Going to Nebraska is giving up on the best opportunity to compete at the highest levels. You don't do that until you are ready to semi-retire.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

The rumor is that we are slanted more towards pitching--which probably is not unusual, but it can be taken to an extreme. Have we done that? There's really no way for any of us to know. Even the media folks who get paid to follow baseball don't know the allocations. But, given the way things have progressed over the last 3 years, it would seem that either we're allocating too little to hitters, or we are doing a horrible job at talent evaluation. Truth may be that it's a little bit of both.
I've been wondering a lot about what this looks like. Its the most likely explanation as to why our hitting is so poor and our pitching more advanced. Making an assistant coaching change without a change to this allocation will only help so much.
AggieDad74
BoozingAg said:

RC has two seasons left on his contract. A&M has 4 options right now:

1. Fire
2. Extend, and then probably have to fire with a larger buyout in a year
3. Let him coach with only one year left on his contract
4. Encourage him to take the Nebraska gig, where he can be at a place he likes, would be welcomed with open arms, and would probably be successful at.

#4 is the most sensible option for everyone involved

5. Buy his contract out and let him walk away from Brazos County, in the general direction of Lincoln, all with a big bonus check from TAMU folded up in his pocket!
91AggieLawyer
AG
twk said:

Quote:

I agree with most of what you said here, however, I don't see anything wrong with a new AD (or any manager) coming in and insisting on RC presenting a plan going forward to improve the results that the team is getting. That isn't dictating him hire or fire any particular assistant or make any specific change the AD wants, but it is a sound management technique in getting someone to realize that doing the same things in the same way may not lead to better results. If RC is unwilling to do that, then the AD should be free to move on if that's what he chooses to do.

I don't understand the idea that a new AD can tell a coach he's a year away from dismissal unless things change but can't dismiss him now. Absent something structural, like a contract or money issue, OR a situation where someone has earned the benefit of the doubt (e.g. Gary Blair's national championship if he were in a similar situation), really, what's the difference?

With that said, I greatly hope Nebraska makes him an offer and he accepts it. I think it will benefit everyone, including Childress.
LesterHaze

This is a karma driven view of things, but I'd like to see Childress get fired. He deserves it and then some. It would also hopefully send a transparent message to the new hire for a change. A&M has been a regional power in baseball for 75 years. Meaningful national accomplishments have been straight up nothing for a century.

The coach at Bryan High could come in and keep us where we've been since the 1970's.
jkag89
LesterHaze said:

This is a karma driven view of things, but I'd like to see Childress get fired. He deserves it and then some. It would also hopefully send a transparent message to the new hire for a change. A&M has been a regional power in baseball for 75 years. Meaningful national accomplishments have been straight up nothing for a century.

The coach at Bryan High could come in and keep us where we've been since the 1970's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.