Is Childress to Nebraska all that far fetched?

20,827 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Ackar07
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kendall thinks it is, but I don't know about that. Rob certainly has ties to NU, and seems very fond of the place

Rob coached at NU for 8 years
Rob's hitting coach played at NU
Rob's offensive coordinator played at NU
Rob and his staff recruit Nebraska
Rob's daughter graduated from NU
The NU job is open

I dunno. Doesn't seem all that crazy to me
technoviking
AG
The crux is the salary and assistants salary. Childress makes around 750k, Erstad made 225k.
Captain Pablo
AG
technoviking said:

The crux is the salary and assistants salary. Childress makes around 750k, Erstad made 225k.

Well yeah he'd have to get paid

I assume when Kendall said he'd turn it down, it wasn't because of a pay cut
Chester
Nebraska would be a big step down for Childress but a huge step up for Bolt. I'm not a betting man but I think Bolt takes the Nebraska job. Then a lot of you guys can get that new assistant coach you've been begging for.
Chester
Wabs
AG
chester said:

Nebraska would be a big step down for Childress but a huge step up for Bolt. I'm not a betting man but I think Bolt takes the Nebraska job. Then a lot of you guys can get that new assistant coach you've been begging for.
Captain Pablo
AG
chester said:

Bolt leaving would be a good start
technoviking
AG
Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And you could be off base in that assumption.
PhatMack19
AG
technoviking said:

Erstad took a lower salary because he didn't need the money and wanted more for his assistants. The coach before him made twice what he did.
Captain Pablo
AG
technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

I doubt NU is going to insult a currently employed Rob by offering him a job and a pay cut

Seems a lot more plausible to me
hunter2012
AG
If Bolt does leave. Who is the best hitting coach we could get? Assuming Childress likely stays in his tree(I wish he wouldn't), is poaching Clement back the best option? He's done a heck of a job a Ole Miss.
BoozingAg
RC has two seasons left on his contract. A&M has 4 options right now:

1. Fire
2. Extend, and then probably have to fire with a larger buyout in a year
3. Let him coach with only one year left on his contract
4. Encourage him to take the Nebraska gig, where he can be at a place he likes, would be welcomed with open arms, and would probably be successful at.

#4 is the most sensible option for everyone involved
Captain Pablo
AG
BoozingAg said:

1. Fire
4. Encourage him to take the Nebraska gig, where he can be at a place he likes, would be welcomed with open arms, and would probably be successful at.

I think there is a chance this happens

I wouldn't be surprised if NU is Rob's dream job
Jock 07
AG
I live and work in Omaha, fwiw I've been talking to the locals here this morning. They seem to be ecstatic about the idea of "stealing" Childress from us but are worried that they can't afford him. I guess we'll see what happens.
Chester
Captain Pablo said:

BoozingAg said:

LRC has two seasons left on his contract. A&M has 4 options right now:

1. Fire

Childress is a Texas boy with an Aggie wife. He is in his dream job. Nebraska is Bolt's dream job.
Chester
technoviking
AG
Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

I doubt NU is going to insult a currently employed Rob by offering him a job and a pay cut

I should have been more clear. The other items all seem to be inline. My position is that Nebraska may not be willing to pay enough money to lure R.C. away.

I say this after reading reactions from their fans on their message board. The idea of approaching 750k is alien to them. I don't doubt that there might be a pay cut number that R.C. is willing to take to be back in Nebraska. But, none of us know what that number is and if NU can match it.

We also don't know if R.C. is actually willing to take a pay cut at all. People's bias against R.C. might be making people project their own fantasies of RC leaving onto what RC wants to do.
HoustonAg2106
AG
BoozingAg said:

1. Fire

For some reason I thought he had just one more season on his contract.
BoozingAg
https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2016/9/2/12772624/aggie-baseball-signs-rob-childress-to-two-year-contract-extension
BoozingAg
technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

I should have been more clear. The other items all seem to be inline. My position is that Nebraska may not be willing to pay enough money to lure R.C. away.

I say this after reading reactions from their fans on their message board. The idea of approaching 750k is alien to them. I don't doubt that there might be a pay cut number that R.C. is willing to take to be back in Nebraska. But, none of us know what that number is and if NU can match it.

We also don't know if R.C. is actually willing to take a pay cut at all. People's bias against R.C. might be making people project their own fantasies of RC leaving onto what RC wants to do.
Nebraska may not offer as much or more salary, but what they will offer is a much longer contract than what he's got or going to get here. He will also be much appreciated there, it will be seen as a home run hire by their fans.
hunter2012
AG
chester said:

Captain Pablo said:

BoozingAg said:

LRC has two seasons left on his contract. A&M has 4 options right now:

1. Fire

Childress is a Texas boy with an Aggie wife. He is in his dream job. Nebraska is Bolt's dream job.
Then he better well find some offense quick or else he won't have his dream job, especially if we have the same offense next year sans Shewmake.
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

Nebraska may not offer as much or more salary, but what they will offer is a much longer contract than what he's got or going to get here. He will also be much appreciated there, it will be seen as a home run hire by their fans.

And a grand slam hire by you.
Captain Pablo
AG
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

Dude. Is that necessary?
technoviking
AG
Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

Dude. Is that necessary?

What are you getting defensive for? The guy has made his position on RC clear for a while now on this forum.
BoozingAg
It's ok Pablo. He's mad.
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

It's ok Pablo. He's mad.

Not mad at all. I'm just pointing out obvious bias based on a season's worth being on this forum.
Captain Pablo
AG
technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

Dude. Is that necessary?

What are you getting defensive for? The guy has made his position on RC clear for a while now on this forum.

Not defensive. Just curious as to why so antagonistic toward other posters. Not just this post. Many before this. There was nothing wrong with his post

So what if he wants Childress gone? And so what if he says so?

Do you want Childress gone? Why can't you just state your opinion on the matter without mockery and antagonism toward other posters?
Aggies2009
AG
Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

Dude. Is that necessary?

Not defensive. Just curious as to why so antagonistic toward other posters. Not just this post. Many before this. There was nothing wrong with his post

Do you want Childress gone? Why can't you just state your opinion on the matter without mockery and antagonism toward other posters?
I don't think he started the "mockery and antagonism" earlier this season, but I could be wrong.
Captain Pablo
AG
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

It's ok Pablo. He's mad.

Not mad at all. I'm just pointing out obvious bias based on a season's worth being on this forum.

Well duh. Of course he's biased. So what? When it comes to who we root for, what direction we would like to see our program go, aren't we all "biased".
technoviking
AG
Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

Captain Pablo said:

technoviking said:

And I could be spot on

Dude. Is that necessary?

Do you want Childress gone? What can't you just state your opinion on the matter without mockery and antagonism toward other posters?

My problem was the way he went about stating his position. Incessant posts and trolling threads about RC while the team was still playing. It's an appropriate time now to discuss all this because the season is over. But, when the team is still playing, like they were when they were fighting out of the hole they were in against WVU and BoozingAg was making posts in the game thread that were being deleted.. he deserves a little ribbing.

Lighten up.

If Childress goes to Nebraska then great, it's a good situation for him and I hope we have been doing our homework for a good replacement.
Luke The Drifter
AG
No - it is not that far fetched. When Erstad started with Nebraska, the Huskers (I believe) were still in the Big 12. Since they've moved to the Big 10, their athletic department revenues have nearly tripled ... similar to the financial boom we've seen with our move to the SEC.

(Side note - amazing what great things happen to you when the folks in Austin don't make all of the decisions on your behalf...)

Anyway, with the increased dollars NU has in it's pocket, it's my guess they can now afford to commit resources to non-football sports. They made a splash hire in basketball by landing Fred Hoiberg. I can see NU wanting to do the same in baseball ... and by their standards, hiring Childress would be the splash baseball hire to end all splash baseball hires.

And ... on top of that, Childress would likely be very successful in the Big 10. The chances of making the post season and hosting are much greater than they are at A&M. He would probably be the best head coach in the league and the competition level isn't that great. If he did his scheduling the way Texas Tech and East Carolina do, they'd have a regional in Lincoln 75% of the time. Make high-profile road trips in February and early March, then win a lot of league games and you're golden in the eyes of the committee. If RC will take the Huskers on the road to play LSU (for example) and maybe a California tourney before Big 10 play starts, he'll skate to the post-season every single year.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
BoozingAg
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

It's ok Pablo. He's mad.

Yep. I have a bias that was reaffirmed by Duke.
BoozingAg
Quote:

BoozingAg was making posts in the game thread that were being deleted.. he deserves a little ribbing.

Yeah. And what about you now that the season ended a few hours later?
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

Quote:

BoozingAg was making posts in the game thread that were being deleted.. he deserves a little ribbing.

My comment was lighthearted at worst.
nereus
AG
He is only 50. That is pretty young to stop chasing the big goal of a championship. Sure, it is possible for him to win one at Nebraska, but much more likely for him to win one by staying here. I don't see giving up on the additional resources he has here even if he has a larger chance to remain the head coach there longer.

Even with their additional B1G money, they aren't likely to pour more money into baseball than us. We also have advantages in weather and recruiting. Moving from here to Nebraska is either a retirement gig or a private statement from our new AD that he is going to be fired July 8 and he should save face with this offer. I don't think our AD is going to make that statement and he is pretty young to retire from his dream profession.
BoozingAg
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Ditto
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

Quote:

Ditto

Sure. We'll see if mine gets deleted
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.