What a bunch of baloney

16,930 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Postal
Postal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per D1 baseball site & Warren Nolan RPI, they go chalk on the first 12 rpi teams

Then they skip 13 (Auburn) but give a host to 14 (Minnesota)

Then they skip 15 (A&M) 16, 17 (UConn, USF)

Award 18, 19 (NC State, Coastal Carolina)

Skip 20, 21 (Tenn Tech, Duke)

And finally give a host to 22 Texas

It doesn't even make sense in regard to states and regions being too host heavy. In NC, UNC, NC State, and ECU will all host. Not to mention Coastal Carolina and Clemson are right next door in SC. Georgia is sandwiched in between Florida which has UF, FSU, and Stetson.

That's 9 out of 16 on the Southeast Coast. The rest are spread out with 2 in Texas, 1 in Minnesota, 1 in Arkansas, 1 in Mississippi, 1 in California, and 1 in Oregon.

If the plan was to spread the love across the country, then you must do so, and not cherry pick the committee's favorite 16 of the top 25.

I know that we have had the feeling that we wouldn't get the host site, but our numbers (overall record and rpi) are exactly where they need to be to host.

The real bottom line is just like last year, or any other year, including when we did have a top 8 national seed. Just win. Just win it all!

DBill
AG
Disagree where you say out numbers were where they need to be to host. Our conference record was 13-17, a far cry from deserving to host.

The committee put a premium on conference wins and championships it seems. I don't agree with tu being picked as a host site, thought UConn would have been a better pick.
Postal
AG
Our conference record was 16-18 in the best conference in the country, and we still had a top 15 RPI. This is not a reason not to pick us.
DBill
AG
Postal said:

Our conference record was 16-18 in the best conference in the country, and we still had a top 15 RPI. This is not a reason not to pick us.

Agree to disagree then. In my opinion, no one with a sub .500 conference record deserves to host.
Bunk Moreland
Postal said:

You don't add a conference tournament and the dynamics that come with that to "conference record."

The regular season is regular for a reason. Even if the SEC is better than all other leagues, you have to win more than you lose in the league you play in.

Ags lost a lot of series' and did not have a marquis series win in conference. Even with the healthy RPI, it's tough to argue for a team by using defensive measures.
AB2
AG
The NCAA made clear today that a subset of 24 games matters more than the entirety of 56.
dermdoc
AG
Agree. What about Auburn?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie
AG
I don't care how good the conference is..finish 11th don't deserve to host
AB2
AG
FWIW I say A&M has no business hosting. I think Texas shouldn't host either.
dermdoc
AG
Agree with both of y'all. Again, what about Auburn?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Postal
AG
I guess my point is that at looking at both RPI sites, no where listed is the conference record. It's just the overall record, and the records against the different groups in RPI. Not picking a school based on conference record is not a factor in determining SOS or RPI. They do list Non conf record, home record, and away record. I know that the committe doesn't just look at RPI, but our conference record wasn't 10-20 either.

HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggie said:

This is accurate
jkag89
Postal said:

The Ags do not deserve to host, we did not take care of business in league play winning only three weekends our of ten. That being said, no big boy southern school should be awarded a regional with a RPI in the 20s even it they win their conference regular season title, such a reach should only only occur for northern schools.
Bunk Moreland
dermdoc said:

Agree. What about Auburn?

That's tougher but they only finished .500 in conference so I'm. Not going to fault the committee for taking a conference champion over them.

Wouldn't have been the way I'd have done it, but none of us are always right and we're all biased so that one doesn't strike me as super egregious. Sucks for them but that's about as far as I'll go. Not getting my tar out.
HoustonAg2106
AG
It's not like this is the first time a team with an rpi in the 20s has been selected to host, did some of you really not see this coming?
MetoliusAg
Iirc, the selection commitee does count all games between conf members as conference games when compiling a team's conference record. It can be a conf tournament game or even a Wednesday game.

Here's a post from Gabe Bock of texags staff:
Quote:

...keep in mind that the committee counts any game played during the year against a conference opponent as a league game. So while the random "out-of-conference" midweek game between Ole Miss and Mississippi State doesn't count in the league standings, it's still a conference game as far as tournament selection goes. The same goes for the SEC Tournament games. So in order to really help itself with the committee, Texas A&M needs to make a nice little run in Hoover.

https://texags.com/s/28383/diamond-notes-examining-postseason-hopes-as-am-heads-to-hoover
dermdoc
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

It's not like this is the first time a team with an rpi in the 20s has been selected to host, did some of you really not see this coming?
Have you read my posts the last week? You could see this coming a mile away and most posters on here knew it. Does not mean it was right. And I would be stunned if it was Baylor rather than Texas on their jerseys that the decision would have been the same.
I already have a dog
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Aggie said:

This is accurate

Top 16 teams should host.
Whoop2oo1
AG
Well, your opinion is wrong. Auburn and A&M both deserved to host.
Basketball and Chain
AG
IMO, the real gripe needs to be if Texas is anything other than the #16 seed.
Bunk Moreland
etcetera said:

Iirc, the selection commitee does count all games between conf members as conference games when compiling a team's conference record. It can be a conf tournament game or even a Wednesday game.

Here's a post from Gabe Bock of texags staff:
Quote:

...keep in mind that the committee counts any game played during the year against a conference opponent as a league game. So while the random "out-of-conference" midweek game between Ole Miss and Mississippi State doesn't count in the league standings, it's still a conference game as far as tournament selection goes. The same goes for the SEC Tournament games. So in order to really help itself with the committee, Texas A&M needs to make a nice little run in Hoover.

https://texags.com/s/28383/diamond-notes-examining-postseason-hopes-as-am-heads-to-hoover

That may be what they say but all I'm telling you is human nature doesn't change and they still view regular season conference record in a bucket.

If a different team in the big 12 won more games in the tourney that 0-2 tu and overtook them in total wins, they weren't going to just magically say the other team won the conference.

Imo that's the committee providing lip service to cover themselves when they make a major swing up on a team that goes on a conference tourney run.
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Have you read my posts the last week? You could see this coming a mile away and most posters on here knew it. Does not mean it was right. And I would be stunned if it was Baylor rather than Texas on their jerseys that the decision would have been the same.

If Baylor had won the Big 12? Certainly possible...the number two rpi conference getting a regional for its champion is not that big of a stretch.

And I wasn't talking to anyone in particular, I just don't get the outrage over something we all knew for weeks and all the analysts agree that they should have been selected because of their conference championship
Bunk Moreland
Basketball and Chain said:

IMO, the real gripe needs to be if Texas is anything other than the #16 seed.

Agree. If they aren't the 16 then I agree completely that it's a joke. I can listen to the argument of making them 16 but that's it.
dermdoc
AG
D1 already leaked it last week when they had them as the #12 seed. I predict they are 13-14.
dermdoc
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

If Baylor had won the Big 12? Certainly possible...the number two rpi conference getting a regional for its champion is not that big of a stretch.

And I wasn't talking to anyone in particular, I just don't get the outrage over something we all knew for weeks and all the analysts agree that they should have been selected because of their conference championship
Show me one analyst besides D1 who had Texas hosting the last week.
TempleAg97
AG
dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

This 100 percents sums it up.

It's not right that it happened. No one else anywhere would have gotten that special treatment. And we all knew it was going to happen.
Postal
AG
Also, I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but I'd like to discuss it anyway.

Why not just have the site picked out years in advance a la the NCAA basketball tourny.

You could have host minor league parks, or maybe even MLB parks for Super Regions and the CWS.

I know that it won't happen because $$$. But why does Omaha get that economic blessing every year? How fun would it be if the first round this year was in places like OKC, San Antonio, Nashville, Richmond, Albuquerque, etc. Follow that up with the Supers at San Fran Giants Park, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, or Houston. Finally, how cool would it be to have the CWS at Fenway, Yankee Stadium, or as I mentioned Minute Maid or Globe Life?

The argument that college ball should be played at college parks is weak. The NCAA basketball tourny is no less exciting, and UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Michigan, etc. don't host for the first rounds. However, their team and fans may only have to travel a short way--- Kentucky to Nashville as an example. The other 3 teams might be near, but then again they might not? Still makes for great ball games. The fans would still travel, and this BS of not getting to be host at the end of the season would be eliminated.
AB2
AG
Too little interest.
twk
AG
Postal said:

Also, I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but I'd like to discuss it anyway.

Why not just have the site picked out years in advance a la the NCAA basketball tourny.

You could have host minor league parks, or maybe even MLB parks for Super Regions and the CWS.

I know that it won't happen because $$$. But why does Omaha get that economic blessing every year? How fun would it be if the first round this year was in places like OKC, San Antonio, Nashville, Richmond, Albuquerque, etc. Follow that up with the Supers at San Fran Giants Park, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, or Houston. Finally, how cool would it be to have the CWS at Fenway, Yankee Stadium, or as I mentioned Minute Maid or Globe Life?

The argument that college ball should be played at college parks is weak. The NCAA basketball tourny is no less exciting, and UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Michigan, etc. don't host for the first rounds. However, their team and fans may only have to travel a short way--- Kentucky to Nashville as an example. The other 3 teams might be near, but then again they might not? Still makes for great ball games. The fans would still travel, and this BS of not getting to be host at the end of the season would be eliminated.
We're just not there yet, financially, The NCAA pays travel expenses and other tournament expenses out of ticket revenue. If they picked 16 neutral sites across the country, they'd probably have half of them lose money (given the politics that would be involved in site selection, you know only about six, at most, would be located to take advantage of SEC crowds)
Postal
AG
Too little fan interest? This is measurable. I guess we can take a look at all 16 host site attendance figures after next weekend, and then see if a nearby minor league park could hold the same.
dermdoc
AG
agree with twk and ab2
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Show me one analyst besides D1 who had Texas hosting the last week.

Baseball America projected that they would host too
dermdoc
AG
Postal said:

Too little fan interest? This is measurable. I guess we can take a look at all 16 host site attendance figures after next weekend, and then see if a nearby minor league park could hold the same.
Trust me, the NCAA and schools have looked at this and if it made more money they would be on it in a heartbeat.
Postal
AG
Okay, then pick 8 and have 8 teams at each site. It's what they do for the SEC tournament. School is out, people will still come to the games. Again the NCAA basketball tournament (mens and womens) spills over into the weekdays, and people still attend.

twk
AG
Postal said:

What's the point of going to a "nearby minor league park." If you did neutral site regionals, you'd have them scattered across the country politically, rather than based upon where the 1 seeds were likely to be located. They would solicit bids to host (used to do this back in the day), but would end up giving regionals to minor leauge parks in California, the upper Midwest, and Northeast, that bid $75k
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.