Blue Bell Park -- Expansion in the Works?

15,972 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BQ_90
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggietoolman said:

May not mean anything, but Jeff Toole was on Gary Blair's weekly radio show about a week ago. Heard at least part of that discussion on the radio, and believe it was the whole thing. They asked what athletic facility upgrades were planned and/or funded. Baseball was not mentioned unless the clip I heard omitted that part. A link to the full show is below. I haven't gone back to listen.

https://12thman.com/news/2019/1/29/womens-basketball-gary-blair-radio-show-jan-28.aspx

Utay is still here?
Captain Pablo
AG
greg.w.h said:

dermdoc said:

BrandoC said:

Anyone have any recent information about the possible expansion that could happen? Been pretty silent for a long time.
All about the cash flow. We need to sell out Kyle. And we need a new basketball coach.

From a previous AD:

"I know I get a lot of comments about being interested in money, and I am. It's right up there with oxygen as far as running a good athletic program."

-Bill Byrne

Nah. That's was ELO that said that
awschux
AG
twk said:

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say one of the variables that is causing some indecision is the SEC alcohol policy. The expansion concept that was being considered was heavy on club seats--in fact, it would have expanded the Diamond Club and forced a re-seating of the entire stadium. However, if the SEC is going to allow alcohol in general seating (and A&M gives every indication of selling alcohol wherever the SEC will permit it), why would you want to pay $1500 per seat more just to have access to the Diamond Club, when the folks across the aisle can have a beer, too? Who would buy outfield club seats in that scenario?

The additional reserved seating down the 3rd base line is a no brainer, but I'm not sure it will get done until they figure out where they are on club seating.

I think a lot of people especially families, business owners, corporate accounts would buy outfield suites. The appeal of having air conditioning, food and bev catered in is well worth the price particularly for the same types that own suites at Kyle, Globelife, or Minute Maid.
W
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

You realize the Aggies were in the College World Series two years ago
yes, but as we discussed repeatedly...we know that a fortunate postseason draw helped mask a so-so or even disappointing regular season.

the 2017 team was bad the last 7 weeks of the season...other than the weekend of regionals and the weekend of SR. Can't gloss that over in the big picture.

then of course there was the 2018 regular season...
Captain Pablo
AG
More important than expansion is the AD mucking things up and making it harder and more expensive to get tickets for the seats that already exist

Flash Seats was working great, so yeah, get rid of it for suck-ass Stub Hub
twk
AG
awschux said:

twk said:

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say one of the variables that is causing some indecision is the SEC alcohol policy. The expansion concept that was being considered was heavy on club seats--in fact, it would have expanded the Diamond Club and forced a re-seating of the entire stadium. However, if the SEC is going to allow alcohol in general seating (and A&M gives every indication of selling alcohol wherever the SEC will permit it), why would you want to pay $1500 per seat more just to have access to the Diamond Club, when the folks across the aisle can have a beer, too? Who would buy outfield club seats in that scenario?

The additional reserved seating down the 3rd base line is a no brainer, but I'm not sure it will get done until they figure out where they are on club seating.

I think a lot of people especially families, business owners, corporate accounts would buy outfield suites. The appeal of having air conditioning, food and bev catered in is well worth the price particularly for the same types that own suites at Kyle, Globelife, or Minute Maid.
The proposed expansion plan didn't include any additional suites, just club seats. They did some research, and I don't believe the market is there for additional suites (not at a price that would make it worthwhile to build them, anyway). BCS is a college town, with a lot of service businesses. While there are plenty of folks that can afford club seats, BCS doesn't have the kinds of businesses that do the kind of business entertainment that makes suites attractive.
Captain Pablo
AG
twk said:

awschux said:

twk said:

The proposed expansion plan didn't include any additional suites, just club seats. They did some research, and I don't believe the market is there for additional suites (not at a price that would make it worthwhile to build them, anyway). BCS is a college town, with a lot of service businesses. While there are plenty of folks that can afford club seats, BCS doesn't have the kinds of businesses that do the kind of business entertainment that makes suites attractive.
I thought they were going to replace berms with conforming grandstands, at least on one side
twk
AG
Yes, the left field berm was to be replaced as part of this project. But, as I said, the whole thing was driven by club seat expansion, and I have to imagine that is somewhat up in the air at the moment (changes to the tax code won't help in this respect, either, now that I think about it).
94chem
This ain't that hard. Stick some bleachers in left field. Takes one solid day of work.
BQ_90
AG
94chem said:

This ain't that hard. Stick some bleachers in left field. Takes one solid day of work.
it isn't that easy. There isn't any access to the stadium from left field.
Capt. America
AG
The more people are talking about expansion plans, the more I'm just not feeling it. The moment that expansion takes place, the entirety of GA will get pushed to the outfield and this becomes just another run-of-the-mill college baseball stadium. The atmosphere will absolutely suffer for it.
twk
AG
Capt. America said:

The more people are talking about expansion plans, the more I'm just not feeling it. The moment that expansion takes place, the entirety of GA will get pushed to the outfield and this becomes just another run-of-the-mill college baseball stadium. The atmosphere will absolutely suffer for it.
Go back and read the focus group threads. I think you are being a little paranoid.
Capt. America
AG
Maybe so
BQ_90
AG
twk said:

Capt. America said:

Go back and read the focus group threads. I think you are being a little paranoid.
The same focus groups that complain about levy and nothing changes?
twk
AG
Quote:

The same focus groups that complain about levy and nothing changes?
Levy was not the primary subject of the focus groups.
BQ_90
AG
concessions where major focus on the one I filled out for basketball. But maybe we're talking about different things.
twk
AG
BQ_90 said:

concessions where major focus on the one I filled out for basketball. But maybe we're talking about different things.

Yes, we are.
Captain Pablo
AG
It's all a crock.. The focus groups, the pretending to care what fans think, the whatever

They reduced capacity and replaced it with dirt and grass

The ****ed up concessions

They reduced GA seating

They got rid of FlashSeats and replaced it with crappy StubHub

The administration, 12MF or whoever is in charge is a big joke
Farmer1906
AG
Capt. America said:

I am 100% pro general admission/student section where it is. However, having that big of an area allotted for that limits season ticket sales. It's rare that area is full on a Tuesday night vs SFA, but if they sold season tickets there it still won't be full, but it would be sold. I think there is a need to increase chairbacks down (LF) the line to help mitigate this. It also makes for a more comfortable experience for big games that sell out.
cypress-ag
AG
Captain Pablo said:

It's all a crock.. The focus groups, the pretending to care what fans think, the whatever

They reduced capacity and replaced it with dirt and grass

The ****ed up concessions

They reduced GA seating

They got rid of FlashSeats and replaced it with crappy StubHub

The administration, 12MF or whoever is in charge is a big joke

AMEN!
CDMAg21
AG
twk said:

awschux said:

twk said:

Does anyone have a link to this proposal? Just curious.
twk
AG
Quote:

Does anyone have a link to this proposal? Just curious.
See images on first page
Farmer1906
AG
Even if there isn't demand for more club this needs to happen.

twk
AG
I think that will happen, sooner or later. That little part wouldn't cost a lot, but if they are going to do something more extensive, it would make sense to do it as part of a larger project, rather than doing it piecemeal.
BQ_90
AG
the outfield club lounge looks like those would be the worst seats in the house. Can't see scoreboard. Get to watch the action thru a screen?
Farmer1906
AG
I would assume TVs and a call of the game would be on so you'd have good info. While you're not close to home your close to the field. It's the nature of any OF seat.
twk
AG
BQ_90 said:

the outfield club lounge looks like those would be the worst seats in the house. Can't see scoreboard. Get to watch the action thru a screen?
No one would have their seats IN the club. The ticketed seats are above it. The view through the chain link would just be an alternative to watching it on TV while you are getting food/drinks.
BQ_90
AG
twk said:

BQ_90 said:

No one would have their seats IN the club. The ticketed seats are above it. The view through the chain link would just be an alternative to watching it on TV while you are getting food/drinks.
Still don't see the demand for those in addition to taking reserved sections for Diamond club.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.