Blue Bell Park -- Expansion in the Works?

15,963 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BQ_90
Austin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I try to attend 3 or 4 games every year. Prices for resale tickets have been getting more and more ridiculous (if you don't plan way in advance). I was shocked to find out when they renovated CE Pat Olsen Field that they reduced the seating capacity by almost 25%.

Is there any plan to expand the stadium in the future?
BoerneGator
AG
In a word, yes!

The grass berms will eventually be permanent seating, for one.
twk
AG
renovation survey thread
Austin Ag
AG
^
|
Thanks for that...I took the survey back then (seemed like a year ago) but nothing seemed to result from it.
twk
AG
Austin Ag said:

^
|
Thanks for that...I took the survey back then (seemed like a year ago) but nothing seemed to result from it.
Might see something happen after 2019, although 2020 is probably more realistic. Have to finish softball and track first.
wareagle044
twk said:

Austin Ag said:

^
|
Might see something happen after 2019, although 2020 is probably more realistic. Have to finish softball and track first.

I'm guessing all will be finished by 2021-2022. I'll have to find a $1 million to donate in that time frame to assure I'm reseated properly.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Austin Ag said:

I try to attend 3 or 4 games every year. Prices for resale tickets have been getting more and more ridiculous (if you don't plan way in advance). I was shocked to find out when they renovated CE Pat Olsen Field that they reduced the seating capacity by almost 25%.

It's really not that bad, I see seats for Long Beach State going for $20 and under on flash seats. If you're only looking to go to the marquee games like LSU or Florida on a Saturday then yea it's going to be expensive, but if you are flexible you can still get very affordable seats to a game.

TXAGBQ76
AG
So you expected to turn it in and voile your wishes were granted? ">

There are talks in place discussing the results of the survey. As someone said some berm area will be permanent seating, there is talk of outfield seating also.

Nothing will start at least until the softball and outdoor track is completely done.
SchizoAg
AG
BoerneGator said:

In a word, yes!

Source?

That's heartwarming news, that the POWs will eventually be released from their POW camps.
test sig
HoustonAg2106
AG
SchizoAg said:

BoerneGator said:

In a word, yes!

Source?

That's heartwarming news, that the POWs will eventually be released from their POW camps.

POWs?
The Debt
HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

BoerneGator said:

In a word, yes!

Source?

POWs?
prisoner of war.

HoustonAg2106
AG
The Debt said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

BoerneGator said:

In a word, yes!

Source?

POWs?
prisoner of war.

Yea I got that , just don't see the correlation
SchizoAg
AG

test sig
HoustonAg2106
AG
SchizoAg said:

One of those pictures looks like fun

By the way that is an awful comparison
BTKAG97
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

The Debt said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

BoerneGator said:

In a word, yes!

Source?

POWs?
prisoner of war.

"Exiles" more synonymical?
HoustonAg2106
AG
BTKAG97 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

The Debt said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

BoerneGator said:

In a word, yes!

Source?

POWs?
prisoner of war.

"Exiles" more synonymical?

Yea that's better
Another Doug
AG
Austin Ag said:

I go to all the games I want and have yet to pay more than face value, except for the occasional splurge on club seats. Blue Bell as it now is the best atmosphere out of any A&M stadium and doesn't need any changes. People who complain about prices are probably just looking at armchair seat listings on flash a week before the game.

Right now every game has GA seats available. So if you think you might want to go to a high demand game, buy it now, should be easy to resell if you don't go. GA will get you get you bleachers near the raggies or the grass, both of which are fun ways to watch the game. If you want armchair or other reserved seats, just buy on flash a couple hours before the game.

Rocky Rider
AG
wareagle044 said:

twk said:

Austin Ag said:

^
|

I'm guessing all will be finished by 2021-2022. I'll have to find a $1 million to donate in that time frame to assure I'm reseated properly.
There's a bonus for your $1M, you don't have to show up for games. You can sit at home and look at your empty seat on TV.
Aggie1
AG
The 2012 Blue Bell Park upgrades were a vast improvement, However, the seating capacity was decreased from 7,000 to 5,400 to accommodate the changes (although with standing room only will still hold over 7,000).

Look at who's who in the College World Series - many of whom are our competition...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-10-college-ballparks/

Quote:

1. Baum Stadium, Arkansas
Opened in 1996, Baum remains one of the crown jewels of college baseball. It quickly became the model ballpark in college baseball and has withstood the test of timewith the help of some improvements over the years that have increased its seating capacity and the number of suites, as well as changing the playing surface from artificial turf to grass. Arkansas annually ranks near the top of college baseball's attendance leaders and the Hog Pen picnic area in left field remains an iconic experience.
Coach Dave Van Horn said Baum is critical to the program's success because it acts as a showpiece to attract elite players to Fayetteville, which is far from a major metropolitan area.
Baum has helped Arkansas compete at a high level and created an atmosphere that is envied around the country. The first of its kind remains college baseball's pinnacle.
2. Alex Box Stadium, Louisiana State
LSU has led the nation in attendance for 22 straight seasons, spanning the old Alex Box Stadium and the new one, which opened in 2009. The new Box seats more than 10,000 fans and provides an outstanding setting for baseball.
3. Dudy Noble Field, Mississippi State
In a year, this might rank even higher. Mississippi State is in the midst of a $55 million renovation of the park, which already boasted one of the best atmospheres in the country.
4. TD Ameritrade Park, Creighton
The home of the College World Series doubles as Creighton's home. While some grumble that it plays as too much of a pitcher's park, no one can argue with its beauty and amenities.
5. Husky Ballpark, Washington
Set on Lake Washington, Husky Ballpark provides one of the best settings in the country with Mount Rainier visible on a clear day.
6. Boshamer Stadium, North Carolina
The rebuilt Bosh opened in 2009 and matches the classic style of the campus that surrounds it.
7. Blue Bell Park, Texas A&M
With two decks and a facade reminiscent of the Rangers' Globe Life Park in Arlington, Blue Bell Park feels like a major league ballpark combined with a college atmosphere.
8. Springs Brooks Stadium, Coastal Carolina
Springs Brooks Stadium, which opened in 2015, highlights the atmosphere of nearby Myrtle Beach, with a concourse that evokes the boardwalk and deck chairs lining the berms.
9. Eddy D. Field Stadium, Pepperdine
An unparalleled setting on the Pacific Ocean highlights Field Stadium and makes it one of the most picturesque venues in the country.
10. Founders Park, South Carolina
Founders Park has minor league amenities combined with a boisterous atmosphere that make it one of the best places to watch a game.

Top Five Historic College Parks
1. Swayze Field, Mississippi
Originally built in 1988, Swayze stands out for its charm and rowdy atmosphere, fueled by the student section in right field and its famous beer showers after home runs.
2. Disch-Falk Field, Texas
The Longhorns' home since 1975, Disch-Falk Field has undergone several renovations but retains its original charm and is now filled with history and championships.
3. Sunken Diamond, Stanford
Built in 1931 on an area originally excavated during the construction of Stanford's football stadium, Sunken Diamond provides a unique setting for a game.
4. Yale Field, Yale
The Bulldogs have been playing baseball on this site since the turn of the 20th Century when it was more of a field than a stadium. Yale Field opened in 1928, features a beautiful arch-lined concourse and Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams have all played there.
5. Blair Field, Long Beach State
Opened in 1958, Blair has become intertwined with amateur baseball in Southern California. In addition to being the home of Long Beach, it also hosts the annual Area Code Games and countless future big leaguers have played on the field.

Let's look at #1 on the list - Baum Field at Arkansas. Currently they can officially seat 10,737 but often have more attend games.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/baum-stadium/
Quote:

Baum Stadium was one of the nation's best facilities when it was constructed, but since then, it has undergone three renovations making it the envy of visiting teams. The first upgrade came prior to the 2003 season when the hitting and pitching cages were enclosed to ensure a place for Razorback players to practice year round. A total of 2,600 chair back seats were added to the park, 1,300 of which reside on each foul line.
Stadium Facts
CAPACITY
RECORD AT BAUM STADIUM
FIRST GAME
DEDICATION
424-168 (.716)
April, 13 1996 (Arkansas 8, Auburn 2)
May 3, 1996 (Arkansas 9, Alabama 3)
Stadium Named For
Field Named For
Charlie Baum
George Cole
ALL-TIME TOP 10 SINGLE-GAME ATTENDANCE FIGURES (ACTUAL ATTENDANCE)
Opponent
Date
Attendance
Auburn
Apr. 26, 2014
LSU
Apr. 9, 2011
Arizona State
Apr. 8, 2009
Mississippi State
Apr. 16, 2011
LSU
May 5, 2007
LSU
May 4, 2007
South Carolina
Apr. 5, 2014
Auburn
Apr. 25, 2014
Ole Miss
May 21, 2011
Florida State*
June 12, 2004
* NCAA Super Regional

And, they are planning additional improvements in their next Board Meeting:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/06/18/arkansas-exploring-baum-stadium-upgrade/

Quote:

Arkansas is considering the construction of a new baseball facility at Baum Stadium, with the building planned to include a new clubhouse and other features.

Under a plan that is being floated by university officials, a new building would be constructed beyond the outfield wall at Baum Stadium. The 35,000- to 40,000-square-foot structure would house a new clubhouse, along with coaches' offices, a weight room, a museum area, and other features.
Should the plan come to fruition, it would allow Arkansas to move several baseball facilities into one new structure. The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville board of trustees must approve any plans before construction can move forward, but Arkansas is considering the Baum Stadium upgrade in order to make its player amenities more competitive with those found offered by rival programs. :
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jun/17/yurachek-planning-on-baseball-upgrade-2/?f=sports

Quote:

The last major building project for baseball was completed in 2015 -- an indoor practice facility that is shared with track and field and was projected to cost around $10 million. Baum Stadium last underwent a large-scale renovation prior to the 2007 season, which extended suites down both lines and increased the number of suites from 12 to 32.
Yurachek said he hopes to have plans finalized in time for the November meeting of the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville board of trustees, which must approve building projects.
Sports on 06/17/2018
I know A&M often complains about many things and likes to relegate Arkansas to the hillbillies and rednecks of the Ozarks without proper etiquette and manners, but they are doing a real fine job of taking care of business in their facilities - not only baseball, but the best in track and field and in the process of upgrading their football facilities as well.

I'm not saying A&M is not good - I'm saying that there are other programs that have great facilities as well and their recruiting and success of their programs can often be judged by their willingness to strive to do better and be among the best available.

And, FWIW - the "weather", recent exploding growth, and beautiful scenic countryside in NW Arkansas is among the best in the USA. A&M has to be cognizant of the nice things our competition has and not stick our heads in the sand thinking we have the best in everything - when we do not.
Foxo
AG
" ... they reduced the seating capacity by almost 25%. ...."

Revival of the Aggie joke.
BrandoC
AG
Anyone have any recent information about the possible expansion that could happen? Been pretty silent for a long time.
dermdoc
AG
BrandoC said:

Anyone have any recent information about the possible expansion that could happen? Been pretty silent for a long time.
All about the cash flow. We need to sell out Kyle. And we need a new basketball coach.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BrandoC
AG
That's confusing because I was told by one of the assistant coaches that the money was already donated and raised. This was 2 years ago. Said that Childress understood that it would be better to wait till softball and track were finished so it wouldn't ruffle any feathers.
greg.w.h
AG
dermdoc said:

BrandoC said:

All about the cash flow. We need to sell out Kyle. And we need a new basketball coach.

From a previous AD:

"I know I get a lot of comments about being interested in money, and I am. It's right up there with oxygen as far as running a good athletic program."

-Bill Byrne
W
AG
let's say that the, uh, situation has changed. And the last 2 regular seasons on the diamond...have not helped the situation
BurnetAggie99
You realize the Aggies were in the College World Series two years ago
Artimus Gordon
Blue bell as it is is fine as long as Childress is coach. Now if we get somebody good and he wins the national championship then there would be a new sense of urgency.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Quote:

let's say that the, uh, situation has changed. And the last 2 regular seasons on the diamond...have not helped the situation

I don't know if that means in terms of donations, but attendance looks to be ok in comparison to very competitive 2015 and 2016 seasons.

2015:
Average attendance: 4,742
National rank: 7

2016:

Average attendance: 5,300
National rank: 6

2017:

Average attendance: 5,152
National rank: 7

2018:

Average attendance: 5,026
National rank: 6
Lance Uppercut
AG
I also discovered during that Google search that LSU baseball had a better attendance average than the Miami Marlins in 2018.
Lance Uppercut
AG
And if we wanted to go ahead and have that conversation....I think that they do want to make those renovations, and I think that the biggest catalyst to change would be moving ahead on those and under-performing at the same time. I would believe the AD would want a boost following putting money into that...whether it came from the prior season and the same coach, or having just made a coaching change.

If you want to play AD, however, it looks like there's a high likelihood of a change in basketball....which should be your 2nd biggest revenue sport on campus. If the available salary information is correct, Childress makes around 1/3 to 1/2 of what is paid to the some of the million plus dollar coaches in college baseball. I would have said a season on par with or a little worse than last season's could have meant a change, but with the basketball situation, I would be surprised to see the AD make baseball a priority change this season unless it was a complete disaster.
Lance Uppercut
AG
And finally....the Texas Tribune did a series in 2016 on the money spent/made in college athletics.

It said the men's basketball team profited $380k and the baseball team.....1.6 million. With so many teams struggling to profit at all in college baseball, is there any way that's correct?
twk
AG
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say one of the variables that is causing some indecision is the SEC alcohol policy. The expansion concept that was being considered was heavy on club seats--in fact, it would have expanded the Diamond Club and forced a re-seating of the entire stadium. However, if the SEC is going to allow alcohol in general seating (and A&M gives every indication of selling alcohol wherever the SEC will permit it), why would you want to pay $1500 per seat more just to have access to the Diamond Club, when the folks across the aisle can have a beer, too? Who would buy outfield club seats in that scenario?

The additional reserved seating down the 3rd base line is a no brainer, but I'm not sure it will get done until they figure out where they are on club seating.
Aggieangler93
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

And finally....the Texas Tribune did a series in 2016 on the money spent/made in college athletics.

It said the men's basketball team profited $380k and the baseball team.....1.6 million. With so many teams struggling to profit at all in college baseball, is there any way that's correct?
I thought, at the time, we suspected their numbers for baseball were skewed by the donations targeted for baseball facility upgrades? Maybe I am remembering that incorrectly?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
This makes sense to me, but I guess none of us know for sure.

I thought we had heard that once track and softball facilities were squared away, more changes at Olsen would be next. I have also been wondering when that would occur.

Wasn't there a campus master plan we were referencing in the past, to see what was on the horizon, change-wise? I haven't had time to look for an updated version of it, lately.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
aggietoolman
AG
May not mean anything, but Jeff Toole was on Gary Blair's weekly radio show about a week ago. Heard at least part of that discussion on the radio, and believe it was the whole thing. They asked what athletic facility upgrades were planned and/or funded. Baseball was not mentioned unless the clip I heard omitted that part. A link to the full show is below. I haven't gone back to listen.

https://12thman.com/news/2019/1/29/womens-basketball-gary-blair-radio-show-jan-28.aspx
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.