Baseball Recruits

33,776 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by who?mikejones
_mpaul
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I will add that I talked to a parent whose kid was at the level of coming to A&M to play. The coaching staff was completely upfront about the pressure to win this year and that there might be coaching turnover if they didn't. Made it sound like they were not confident they would be around all 4 years. That may have spooked some kids.
Referring to 2015? or 2016?
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:
I will add that I talked to a parent whose kid was at the level of coming to A&M to play. The coaching staff was completely upfront about the pressure to win this year and that there might be coaching turnover if they didn't. Made it sound like they were not confident they would be around all 4 years. That may have spooked some kids.
Referring to 2015? or 2016?
Yeah, I wouldn't take that post serious.
Lance Uppercut
AG
One...no way the coaching staff made a pitch to a recruit that included that they feared for their jobs.

Two...I wouldn't have guessed this year's team would be as good as they were. For pitching, Stubblefield is a good bet for Fridays and I think Hendrix makes another jump and is pitching Saturday. He has great stuff. As someone said, plenty of returning arms for the bullpen. The question is who starts Sunday, and I'm wondering what role they'll want for Vinson. I don't know much about the incoming arms. There was some thought that Simonds would make it as a weekend starter this year, and it didn't quite work out. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Offense shouldn't drop off too much...plenty of upperclassmen and jucos coming in, and the defensive weaknesses at second and short look like they're going to be addressed.

We should be pretty good next year. I'd say you could set a low expectation and still have us hosting a regional. What kind of teams and seasons our competition have going for them will have some influence on what happens from there. (Again, looks like you have to win a very tough SEC West to guarantee yourself a national seed).
Foxo
AG
I'm usually optimistic but replacing Nau (370), Allemand (339), Taylor (333), Long (9-1) and Kent (9-1) is going to take a lot of improvement by the returning players and new comers.
Lance Uppercut
AG
True, but keep in mind that Nau and Taylor both sat the bench for most of last year, and Allemand also took a seat for part of the season. I think their improvements came with being upperclassmen and because of Coach Bolt. Those factors will both still be in place next season. I'm not even worried about the bats. We already have a decent idea of who a few of their replacements are, and we know that they have some pop.

I guess I have more faith in Hendrix than most people might. I think he's going to be really good next year, based on what he's capable of. Stubblefield also has the stuff to be a shutdown Friday starter. Depending on who takes that Sunday spot and what we get out of them, you have the potential to be better than this year's team.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
I'm usually optimistic but replacing Nau (370), Allemand (339), Taylor (333), Long (9-1) and Kent (9-1) is going to take a lot of improvement by the returning players and new comers.
I don't really think so.

Boomer White is more accomplished than anybody we had on roster last year. Joel Davis can hit as well as anybody on the roster. Between Kyler, Pennington and some of the other fish, we should be able to replace that other lost production. And that is not even accounting for improvement by the returnees. Melton and Nau for example were light years better this year than last. Some other guys could make that leap too.

The question is weekend starters again. Stubblefield, Hendrix and one of the sophomore should be fine. But none of them have shown it for a full season as a weekend starter so we will have to see.

But as Lance said, we should expect to at least host a regional next year. 2017 is the question mark. I would go so far as to call us loaded for 2016. Outside of Florida, I can't think of another top 10 quality team that has fewer glaring question marks than we do.
W
AG
Good discussion. Have to keep the Ags' losses in perspective with the other teams in the West Division.

Arkansas lost their best 2 players in Benintendi and Serrano. Huge, huge losses to go along with their Friday night starter.

LSU will return Lange and Poche, but lose 6 or 7 hitters from their lineup.

Alabama and Ole Miss took major losses in their lineups. I don't know about State.

Auburn is the team that actually faired well. Will return their #1 and #2 starters and best all-around player in Grier.

------
looking at the Ags...I think the batting order will be fine and the infield defense improved. The pitching looks very good too. Just need Corbin or Larkins to take a step forward and be a weekend starter. And the other to be a quality midweek starter. The schedule will be more difficult with Vandy, Florida, and Pepperdine back on it. I would expect A&M to be a top 4 or top 5 team in the conference next year and in contention to host a regional. And I'd expect the Ags to be in the preseason top 15 in the polls. Maybe top 10
W
AG
and a quick look at the other teams in the state...

TCU lost their entire weekend rotation, their closer, top setup man, Odell, and both of the Jones.

Rice's pitching staff was gutted too plus the Owls' lost 4 of their best hitters -- Stainback, Byrd, Taylor, and Reeves.

the longhorns lost their Friday night starter and their only guy that hit over .300 (Johnson).

DBU had 5 pitchers drafted in the top 12 rounds -- will lose all of them probably
Foxo
AG
"Boomer White is more accomplished than anybody we had on roster last year"

I wouldn't go that far. Last summer he hit 0.289 in the Cape Cod League with 0 home runs. This year (early in the season), he is at 0.200 with no extra base hits. Alternating between left field and designated hitter.
jja79
AG
Why would people pencil Kyler in?
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
"Boomer White is more accomplished than anybody we had on roster last year"

I wouldn't go that far. Last summer he hit 0.289 in the Cape Cod League with 0 home runs. This year (early in the season), he is at 0.200 with no extra base hits. Alternating between left field and designated hitter.
Boomer white was a regional and super regional mvp. We have anybody on the roster that has done that?
ftworthag02
AG
Preseason stats don't mean **** w/ boomer. He has the "it" factor and he loves A&M and I'm sure is willing to do whatever it takes to get us to the postseason. He came thru in several clutch situations during last years regional & super.
RGLAG85
AG
quote:
Why would people pencil Kyler in?

Because they're delusional. He's our savior, haven't you heard. He seemed to struggle some this year but has a lot of talent. He will have to adjust to the college game like everyone else.
TAMU1990
AG
The biggest concern I have is that we had virtually no impact freshmen this year. Every team at the CWS has at least 2 freshman on their teams making critical plays at this event. It's like we have a nonexistent class in the program. And that's not good.
Foxo
AG
Alann_C @Acampero12
22m22 minutes ago Laredo, TX

1ST TEAM ALL STATE!!!! #BLESSED
Foxo
AG
quote:
The biggest concern I have is that we had virtually no impact freshmen this year. Every team at the CWS has at least 2 freshman on their teams making critical plays at this event. It's like we have a nonexistent class in the program. And that's not good.
With the exception of the freshmen pitchers, who were so-so, we had no freshmen play other than as a pinch runner early in the season.
W
AG
the "no freshmen" thing isn't necessarily a concern for 2016; however it may well be a giant concern for 2017.

the Ags will lose upwards of 10 players after the 2016 season. No doubt need to make 2016 a big year -- the opposite of what happened in 2012 when the Ags also had a very veteran team returning after a great season (2011)
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:

Every baseball program has that kind of turnover. It's the nature of the game.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
the "no freshmen" thing isn't necessarily a concern for 2016; however it may well be a giant concern for 2017.

the Ags will lose upwards of 10 players after the 2016 season. No doubt need to make 2016 a big year -- the opposite of what happened in
2012 when the Ags also had a very veteran team returning after a great
season (2011)

Seniors next year:

Vinson
Simonds
Kopetsky
Barash
Schlottmann
Moroney
Melton
Moss

Guys probably leaving as jrs:

Banks
Stubblefield
Hendrix

For 2017, you're probably looking at having Birk and Gideon back in terms of position players, and neither is guaranteed a spot in the field. I have no idea what Boomer White's plans will be. The only other underclassmen who aren't pitchers already on the roster are Choruby, Collins, and Bedford. (Bedford and Collins were the only non-pitchers in the freshmen class).

For next season, you could make a pretty accurate guess about who starts on Day 1. For 2017, the lineup is likely going to have a handful of guys whose names we don't know how to pronounce yet, or who are going to high school tomorrow. We'll also get to see how the staff decides to play the juco game at that point too. Lots of guys in next year's class that are playing the middle of the infield.

And one more note on White. Of course you don't know how seasons turn out, but he was smashing the ball in the spring practices. His ABs stood out among a lot of guys who were already hitting well. He already walked the walk at TCU, and after sitting around watching everyone else for a season, I imagine he'll be foaming at the mouth and ready to hit.
jpennington
With regard to Boomer, I've watched him play since he was a sophomore in high school. My son and Boomer have played together at Memorial High School, at TCU and now at A&M. He always has good at bats, rarely strikes out and is willing to give himself up to move hitters. Loves to go opposite field and will turn on inside pitches when he has the chance. The biggest issue for him will be sitting for a year. When the lights come on he steps up. Clutch hitter!!
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
With regard to Boomer, I've watched him play since he was a sophomore in high school. My son and Boomer have played together at Memorial High School, at TCU and now at A&M. He always has good at bats, rarely strikes out and is willing to give himself up to move hitters. Loves to go opposite field and will turn on inside pitches when he has the chance. The biggest issue for him will be sitting for a year. When the lights come on he steps up. Clutch hitter!!
So where is Boomer's best defensive position?
W
AG
8 seniors on the roster next year -- this may be Childress' biggest senior class ever
Foxo
AG
June 23 ...

The Texas A&M baseball team has added four players to the roster for next season.

Coach Rob Childress announced that the Aggies have added three high school pitchers and a
junior college catcher to the class from the early signing period in the fall.

A&M's latest additions are right-handed pitcher Hunter Spaeth from Lubbock Monterey, right-hander Mitchell Kilkenny of Houston Christian, lefty Dakota Klein of Suamico, Wisconsin, and catcher Dayne Sommer, a Fort Worth product who spent his freshman season at North Texas Community College.

"I "I like the addition of these four young men," Childress said. "Not only are they going to make an
impact on the field, but they are going to make an impact in the community and the classroom. In addition to being very talented young men, they have great character as well."

Sea Gull
AG
Do we have any info on them? I trust RC...he's gotten us some serious talent in the past. No reason to think he won't this year either.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Mitchell Kilkenny RHP, 6-4, 195 Houston, Texas (Houston Christian High School)
Named Perfect Game USA Preseason All-Central Region in 2015
Tabbed H5AB.com's Houston 5A Pitcher of the Year in 2014
Earned H5AB.com All-Greater Houston 5A First Team status each of his last three seasons
Garnered H5AB.com Preseason All-Greater Houston 5A First Team recognition in 2014 and 2015
Named Perfect Game USA Underclassman Preseason All-America Honorable Mention in 2014
A three-time All-Southwest Preparatory Conference selection

Assistant Coach Justin Seely on Mitchell Kilkenny: "Mitchell is one of the better pitchers in the Houston area and has been for the last two years. He can command all three pitches. He's a guy that could see the mound for us very early." Dakota Klein LHP, 6-4, 180 Suamico, Wisconsin (Bay Port High School)
Named Perfect Game USA Preseason All-Central Region in 2015
Led squad to a WIAA Division I state tournament for the fifth time in six seasons in 2015
Notched a 3-1 record with a 3.32 ERA on the mound and batted .346 (9-for-26) with six RBI in 18 games at the plate as a senior
Selected Fox River Classic Conference Co-Player of the Year as a junior in 2014
Chosen to play for Team Wisconsin at the 2014 Midwest Classic in Plainfield, Illinois
As a junior went 6-0 in league play with a 0.87 ERA, striking out 57 in 40.2 innings, leading Bay Port to the WIAA Division 1 state tournament and the Fox River Classic Conference title

Assistant Coach Justin Seely on Dakota Klein: "Dakota is a left-handed kid, long lanky guy from Wisconsin. He needs some strength as well but he's going to throw strikes and command three pitches. We are excited about him."

Dayne Sommer C, 6-1, 210 - Fort Worth, Texas (Boswell High School/North Texas Community College)
Spending this summer playing for the Kitsap BlueJackets of the West Coast League
Played for his freshman season at North Texas Community College where former A&M volunteer assistant Austin Knight is an assistant coach
Appeared in 38 games for NTCC, batting .320 with a .404 on-base percentage, 25 runs, 41 hits, five doubles, two home runs and 20 RBI
Four-year letterwinner at Boswell High School in Fort Worth
Played for the North Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association All-Star Game as a senior in 2014
Garnered All-State honors from the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association (Third Team Class 4A) and the Texas Sports Writers Association (Class 4A Honorable Mention) in 2014
Named District 6-4A Most Valuable Player and All-District 6-4A First Team as a senior
Hit .353 as a junior, logging two doubles, four triples, one home run and 29 RBI in 30 games
Picked up All-District 6-4A First Team honors as a catcher during his junior campaign in 2013
Batted .231 with five doubles, two triples and 14 RBI in 29 games as a sophomore
Was also a standout in football at Boswell
Logged 99 tackles, including 72 of the solo variety as a senior in 2013 to earn All-District 6-4A First Team recognition as an inside linebacker
Tallied two interceptions as a junior in 2012
Earned All-District 5-4A Second Team recognition as a safety during his sophomore campaign in 2011
Son of TCU Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Don SommerAssistant Coach Justin Seely on Dayne Sommer: "Dayne is a physical catcher. He's a guy that can really receive, catch and throw. He's going to be a very good defender. At some point in his career he's is going to be a really good hitter. We are very fortunate to have him"

Hunter Spaeth RHP, 6-5, 210 Lubbock, Texas (Monterey High School)
Selected to play in the Greater West Texas Baseball Coaches Association All-Star Game as a senior
Named All-District 2-6A First Team as a first baseman and All-District 2-6 Second Team as a pitcher and outfielder as a senior in 2015
Tabbed a Perfect Game USA Preseason All-America Honorable Mention in 2015
Earned All-District 2-5A Second Team recognition as a junior in 2014
Batted .262 and posted a 6-1 record on the mound as a junior
Selected All-South Plains Third Team as a pitcher in 2014
Also played quarterback, punter and receiver at Monterey
Named an All-District 2-6A First Team punter as a senior in 2014
Garnered All-State Football Academic Honorable Mention from the Texas High School Coaches Association as a senior in 2014

Assistant Coach Justin Seely on Hunter Spaeth: "Hunter is a big projectable right-hander. He's going to fill up the zone with strikes. He needs development and strength, but he's a guy that we think at some point is going to fit right into the mold of the guys we've been able to develop here before."
http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=210164102
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
After reconsidering an early fall commitment to LSU, Mitchell Kilkenny, Houston Christian senior and three summer C2 Baseball participant, is headed to Texas A&M university next fall and is looking forward to joining Coach Rob Childress' pitching staff.The 6'-3", 190lb senior is enjoying his final high school season and is off to a 3-1 record including a no-hitter with 12 k's on February 27 versus Cy-Lakes. He has compiled a varsity high school record to date that includes 21 wins and only 3 losses. In a 162 innings on the mound he has 190 strike-outs, 26 walks and only 18 earned runs.
Kilkenny has been named two time all-Southern Preparatory Conference and was H5AB.com's All Greater Houston Pitcher of the Year in 2014. He was named H5AB.com first team pre-season All Greater Houston Pitcher for 2015 as well as a pre-season Under Armour All American.
http://c2.c2baseball.com/clubs/1582/announcements/896805-C2-s-Kilkenny-A-M-Bound
Sea Gull
AG
All 3 arms appear to be giraffes. We need more giraffes.
Foxo
AG
Does this mark the end of recruiting for the year?
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Does this mark the end of recruiting for the year?

No, they have a couple more they are working on, including a JUCO middle infielder.
jpennington
quote:
quote:
So where is Boomer's best defensive position?
I've only seen him play left field and catch. He's a very good catcher with quick reaction time and strong defensive skills. But he hasn't caught in a few years. He is a good outfielder as well although his arm strength was average at TCU. That may have been because of the medical issues he had. Selfishly I hope he plays infield. Leaves a spot open for my son to compete.
Foxo
AG
The following are the San Jac players who will transfer, followed by the universities they will attend next year:

sophomore catcher Will Foreman (Stephen F. Austin University);

sophomore pitcher Alex Phillips (Baylor University, Region XIV All-Academic Team, Region XIV South
All-Conference Team);

sophomore pitcher Rex Hill (Texas Christian University, Region XIV South All-Conference Team);

sophomore pitcher Douglas Holloway (TCU, Region XIV All-Academic Team);

sophomore infielder Austin Homan (Texas A&M University, Region XIV All-Region
Team, Region XIV South All-Conference Team);

sophomore outfielder Walker Pennington (Texas A&M, NJCAA World Series All-Tournament Team,
Region XIV All-Region Team, Region XIV South All-Conference Team, Region
XIV All-Academic Team, Exemplary Academic Achievement);

sophomore pitcher Riley Smith (Louisiana State University, Region XIV South
All-Conference Team, Region XIV Tournament Most Valuable Player,
Pittsburg Pirates draft selection);

sophomore pitcher Aaron Ford (Auburn University, Region XIV South All-Conference Team);
sophomore outfielder Josh Palacios (Auburn, Region XIV South All-Conference Team, Region XIV
All-Region Team);

sophomore infielder Eric Garza (Georgetown University);

sophomore pitcher Eric Nouis (SFA, Region XIV All-Academic Team, Exemplary Academic Achievement);

sophomore outfielder Jon Meyer (Biola University, Region XIV All-Academic Team);

sophomore pitcher Austin Johnson (Texas Lutheran University, Region XIV All-Academic Team,
Superior Academic Achievement);

sophomore infielder Josh Croft (Cumberland University, Region XIV South All-Conference Team, Region XIV All-Conference Team);

sophomore pitcher Dalton Viner (Wichita State University);

freshman infielder Garrett Luna (Texas A&M Corpus Christi).
Hop
Staff
AG
Good find. Since you found it, we can talk about it. Homan is a kid from my neck of the woods in Baytown (Mont Belvieu). He hit about .360 last season and an impressive .403 in conference play according to the stat page on the NJCAA website. He also appears to be fast with over 20 stolen bases. He did commit a lot of errors last season so he'll need to address his defense in the fall if he hopes to earn playing time.

Mr. P, can you give us some insight into Austin Homan?
MAROON
AG
I'll add information I heard about Pennington (from a former teammates Dad at Memorial and a former teammate's Dad on the Houston Heat).

"Awesome Player, offensive MVP at San Jac and a 2nd team JUCO AllAmerican"

"Tall lanky kid, great outfielder and powerhitter"

Sounds good to me.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
jpennington
quote:
Good find. Since you found it, we can talk about it. Homan is a kid from my neck of the woods in Baytown (Mont Belvieu). He hit about .360 last season and an impressive .403 in conference play according to the stat page on the NJCAA website. He also appears to be fast with over 20 stolen bases. He did commit a lot of errors last season so he'll need to address his defense in the fall if he hopes to earn playing time.

Mr. P, can you give us some insight into Austin Homan?
jpennington
Austin was the emotional leader of the San Jac team. He plays with great energy and passion which may need to be tempered a bit at A&M. He's a very good hitter that rarely strikes out but not much power. Very fast and several of his hits were either infield singles or bunts that he beat out. He also turned singles into doubles because of his speed. When he's in the lineup he is a threat to steal at any time. His defense improved as the season went on. He played shortstop for the Gators but may be better suited at second. Arm strength is acceptable. Will be a good batting average guy hitting either at the top of the lineup or at the bottom to help turn the lineup over when he plays.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.