Baseball Recruits

33,659 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by who?mikejones
Spartacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there a list of our incoming recruiting class after this season. I have not been able to find any discussion of how we will be expecting to reload.
W
AG
transfer Boomer White will start in the outfield next year
Lance Uppercut
AG
List

...and there have been a few juco players signed since this. Like Walker Pennington
Basketball and Chain
AG
My main concern for next year is that we're likely to start a freshman at SS.

I think our pitching will be really good again unless the draft just wipes is out. We're returning Hendrix for sure from the weekend rotation. It's likely Kent and Simonds are back. Larkins will probably take a nice step forward next year. Ecker will be back, too. I don't think schlottman gets drafted high enough to sign. If we can get lucky and keep one or two of Long, Minter, Stubblefield and Vinson. And that doesn't even take into account the really good freshmen arms that we have coming in, but several of them are significant draft risks so it's really too early to even talk about them.

I think Childress is going to be sweating this draft moreso than he has any other.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
List

...and there have been a few juco players signed since this. Like Walker Pennington

Dont know how I missed that. Will definitely lessen the blow if we were to lose both Taylor and Banks.

Edit: banks will be back
Spartacus
Thanks Lance. Not sure why I could not find this on my searches. E -User for sure.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I don't think Banks is old enough to go. His birthday is Nov. 18, 1994. It's also possible I don't understand all the rules about who can and can't enter the draft.
Fat Tony
AG
Banks and Stubblefield are sophs this year, right?
Lance Uppercut
AG
Yes, but he's already 21. I don't know what will happen with him, because I certainly don't doubt that he would be drafted high enough based on potential. But he got hurt before he ever threw a pitch this season, and he was basically our Tuesday guy as a freshmen. He started 4 SEC games and they didn't go well, then made his triumphant return in the regional game vs. Texas.

I would think he could come back as a Jr., show everyone what he can do as a starter against the SEC, and significantly increase his draft stock. But after the draft it will be much easier to see how much he could really improve it.

The guy I would assume is gone is Minter.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
I don't think Banks is old enough to go. His birthday is Nov. 18, 1994. It's also possible I don't understand all the rules about who can and can't enter the draft.

You're right, don't know why I was thinking he was eligible
OasisMan
AG
what about 3B
W
AG
Banks is not eligible for the draft this year, so he will be back. It's possible that the only regulars in the lineup the Ags lose for 2016 are Allemand, Nau, and Nottebrok. If Taylor returns, the offense (with the addition of White) will be very strong again next year. Hard to say if Taylor has shown enough defensively to push his draft stock into the top 10 or 15 rounds.

pitching-wise Vinson and Simonds are the wildcards -- how high will they be drafted. I would expect the lefties...Kent, Schlottmann, and Kopetsky to return
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
what about 3B

I'm sure the agility and consistency of 2016 Ronnie Gideon will astound us.

Looking at that list of guys listed as infielders, Campero plays SS, Joel Davis 3rd, George Janca SS, Tristan Metten SS
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
what about 3B

I think Joel Davis has been playing 3B at JUCO. Gideon will be back. Melton probably will be back. We should be fine at the IF corners.

Need to hang on to Barash at C. I'm not sure we even signed a catcher in the fall signing period, and I haven't heard how Bedford has looked in practice.
dirkjones
AG
I think Boomer was told he could compete for an infield position, probably 2nd. He will start somewhere but may not project as a good outfielder in MLB.
Stubb has a lot of upside. I could see a team taking him early or throwing a good bonus at him. Still think we will see him in 2 weeks on the mound.
dirkjones
AG
Bedford will be fine. Just saving s year for him since Nau has had a hot bat this year.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Bedford will be fine. Just saving s year for him since Nau has had a hot bat this year.

My point was more toward the importance of keeping Barash. We can't go through a year with only one catcher, especially one that hasn't played yet.
dirkjones
AG
Barash will be back. Needs to improve offensively to be drafted.
bicmitchum
if he shows up how does k murray figure into all this?
dirkjones
AG
Murray played mainly 2nd in high school. He is often projected as an outfielder though by MLB. I bet they convert him like Taylor, depending if Boomer plays infield.
Foxo
AG
Walker Pennington looks pretty good ... He played LF fro San Jac

Walker Pennington | #36 | OF | San Jacinto College-North
gp 61 .. avg 0.410 .. hr 12 .. rbi 68 .. runs 51 .. sb 6

Joel Davis played 3B for Seminole:
gp 52 .. ave 0.384 .. hr 13 .. rbi 57 .. runs 56 .. sb 2
Boxer
Both those guys look like scrubs
Boxer
I think he was DHing most of the year due to some arm issue/worry.
Boxer
Here's a draft analysis film on Kyler:

Kyler Murray
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Murray is gonna be huge for Aggie sports! Hope we see him on the field.
Foxo
AG
Do we only have two pitchers left in this class ... Ivey and Kolek ?
MAROON
AG
quote:
Do we only have two pitchers left in this class ... Ivey and Kolek ?

Nope. Mitchell Kilkenny RHP - Houston Christian is also in this class. The list linked earlier was as of November 2014
Foxo
AG
I don't feel warm and fuzzy about this class. Not a class to get us to Omaha.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
I don't feel warm and fuzzy about this class. Not a class to get us to Omaha.

None of the spring signees have been announced yet.

Boomer White, Joel Davis, walker Pennington and a JUCO SS pretty much fills any holes left by Allemand, Nau, Taylor and Notte. We have a few talented HS MIF prospects and Kyler Murray.

Stubblefield and Hendrix leave us with two very promising weekend arms. Larkins, Martin, Hill, Vinson, Simonds, and Ecker give us a nice crop of experienced returning arms. We know of at least 3 incoming HS arms, plus I wouldn't be surprised to see a late JUCO addition like Simonds last year.

I think we'll be in good shape going into next year.
W
AG
you would not be the first poster to say that -- referring to Foxo.

lots of pressure on Childress and the program to make 2016 a big year, because a whole bunch of roster turnover is coming after next year. Especially the pitching staff
Basketball and Chain
AG
Looks like we signed JUCO catcher Dayne Sommer from Northeast Texas CC.

http://cooperstowncages.com/congratulations-to-dayne-sommer/

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2014-15/div1/players/daynesommergbaa
Foxo
AG
Not overwhelming, but a needed backup with Belford hitting under 200 in summer ball. Now we need a short stop.
jt16
AG
quote:
I will add that I talked to a parent whose kid was at the level of coming to A&M to play. The coaching staff was completely upfront about the pressure to win this year and that there might be coaching turnover if they didn't. Made it sound like they were not confident they would be around all 4 years. That may have spooked some kids.

Sounds like the kind of thing that was misinterpreted
W
AG
perhaps stating the obvious...Hyman doesn't fire coaches. There should not be a concern about that
Floorguy
quote:
My main concern for next year is that we're likely to start a freshman at SS.

I think our pitching will be really good again unless the draft just wipes is out. We're returning Hendrix for sure from the weekend rotation. It's likely Kent and Simonds are back. Larkins will probably take a nice step forward next year. Ecker will be back, too. I don't think schlottman gets drafted high enough to sign. If we can get lucky and keep one or two of Long, Minter, Stubblefield and Vinson. And that doesn't even take into account the really good freshmen arms that we have coming in, but several of them are significant draft risks so it's really too early to even talk about them.

I think Childress is going to be sweating this draft moreso than he has any other.
My son played with SS signee Alan Campero last weekend in a tournament. Holy Moly, he's gooood! I know its a big jump, especially at the plate; but man he can really play. I'm excited to see him play for the Ags.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.