*****Aggies @ Arkansas*****

36,863 Views | 782 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Muy
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mother in Law defense has been around a while, that's not one of his new ones.
fightintxag13
AG
I figured it had been. I just hadn't heard it used in one of our games until last year when Dykes was calling one of ours.
bobinator
AG
I just think those little bits are annoying because he does it like once a game. He'll say "we call that (thing nobody else has ever called it)" and he does it just so the pbp guy will ask what it means and then he can explain it.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
bobinator said:

I just don't get how it's different from telling the team "Guys, we probably need 12 conference wins to make it." Lord knows I hate to agree with Prop Joe on here, but it's just a complicated way of saying the exact same thing.

I don't get how this +1, -1 system helps you focus on 'one game at a time' any more than that a total number would.

Is

"Even if we win all of our home games, we still need to win three road games, so every opportunity to win is going to matter"

somehow different from

"We're +3 right now, and we can get to Arkansas be +4, so let's lock in" or whatever?

You're right! Having an ongoing running score like this that everybody on the team (and those fans who like it) can follow and discuss is WAY too complicated!

It's as bad as trying to remember that it's 1 point for a made free throw, 2 points for a made basket inside the three-point line, and 3 points for a made basket outside the three-point line!

Whew! That is some kinda high level math!

Fortunately, our college admissions process has vetted these students (some in grad school) to ensure they have the mathematics prerequisites and/or test scores that should allow them to grasp such college level concepts.

Dude! We get that you don't like it (for whatever reason).

Please let it go - or start another thread (like you seemed to have suggested when you stated earlier that this isn't the thread for it) so you can continue to point out how bad/dumb/wrong this is (in your opinion, of course).

NOW...back to the task at hand:

BTHO Arkansas!!!

Lets lock in on defense like an ICE storm!!! (And FREEZE the HOGS to less than 32 points in the first half).
txag72
AG
Page 2 of game thread. There were games that didn't get 2 pages earlier.
bobinator
AG
I'm not the one saying it's some kind of high level calculus. I just want to know what makes it different from "we need to win 12 games". You obviously do like it, so why? What makes "We're +3" easier to follow and discuss than "we need 5 more?"

I'm genuinely asking. And i changed my mind about the thread because who cares, it's still four hours until the game starts.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Hopefully the guys deliver a nice punch to Musselman this evening. Figuratively, but wouldn't mind literally.
TyperWoods
CapCityAg89 said:

Should have just came home. Not much farther than Wichita Kansas (which I don't recommend BTW)
johnnyblaze36
AG
bobinator said:

I'm not the one saying it's some kind of high level calculus. I just want to know what makes it different from "we need to win 12 games". You obviously do like it, so why? What makes "We're +3" easier to follow and discuss than "we need 5 more?"

I'm genuinely asking. And i changed my mind about the thread because who cares, it's still four hours until the game starts.
Somehow I've never heard of this whole +1 thing until this thread but I agree-it sounds dumb and confusing.

BTHO Ark.
GrayMatter
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

bobinator said:

Somehow I've never heard of this whole +1 thing until this thread but I agree-it sounds dumb and confusing.

BTHO Ark.
He probably should have saved that comment and explanation for the team but alas he's so transparent to a fault. They're 18-22 year olds who oftentimes work better when things are simplified and plausible so maybe he used this system so they know where they stand after every game.

Or maybe he said this to the media so the media will stop asking him what he thinks our chances are for making the tournament.
billydean05
I think it is just psychology. Being +3 seems so much easier to achieve then needing 12 conference wins or having to go 12-6 in conference.
bobinator
AG
I think this is actually why I don't get it, because the opposite seems true to me. Like, we're +3 now, which if that's the goal, then it seems easier mentally to let off the pedal rather than emphasizing that we still have a lot of work to do and still need five more wins.

I mean he knows his guys, so if it's helping them focus, then great, I just don't really understand it.
billydean05
I get your point. We achieved it so early though it is also easy to pivot and say lets win an SEC championship to keep the players motivated.
BoerneGator
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
OK.

I like it because it provides a picture of where we are NOW (symbolized by a single number) as opposed to relying on some kind of countdown.

And frankly, it has been a fun number to follow because, up to now, we have been adding to it rather than subtracting from it.

I think it is an EXCELLENT way of distilling things into a single number - and appropriately gives positive credit for road wins and no credit for home wins (while not penalizing road losses and appropriately penalizing home losses).

In the end, I believe Buzz's contention that it would take at least a final conference score of +3 or +4 on this scale is correct - and correlates to 12-6 or 13-5 record.

Fanatic15...Drs2B!
If you don't think that THIS (winning the SEC Championship) is exactly what is on the players' minds at this time, then I don't know what else to say.

We are definitely in the running. And every SEC coach realizes this. Nobody is going take this year's Aggie team lightly for the remainder of the season (and in the upcoming SEC Tournament).
Richierich2323
I like the point system. It shows the importance of protecting and winning games at home and the power of winning away games. You lose an away game, it's going be alright. You win a home game, you were supposed to win it your at home.

Ags could win 5 home games and lose all my away games and not make the tournament.

Right now, I see us as a 11 seed with a lot of time to improve our stock. It does not really matter if you like it or not...it's been working
bobinator
AG
Richierich2323 said:

...it's been working
Nope, we're not giving any credit to the point system.

It's already established canon that the season turned when we forgot our jerseys.

Hey if works for some of y'all, then fine. I don't really need to get it, let's BTHO Arkansas.
Know Your Enemy
AG
At this point bobinator complaining about the +/- schtick is worse than the schtick itself.
bobinator
CactusThomas
AG
I, for one, look forward to hearing updates regarding our +/- status along with Buzz'es thoughts on the crazy path to Arkansas via Wichita.

Hopefully Bob will share the #getbetter #4sight email update again with us after the game.
AggieNattie
And there certainly hasn't been a game thread that made it to page 2 before tipoff.
HossAg
AG
CactusThomas said:

I, for one, look forward to hearing updates regarding our +/- status along with Buzz'es thoughts on the crazy path to Arkansas via Wichita.

Hopefully Bob will share the #getbetter #4sight email update again with us after the game.
This is disgusting
ProudAggie98
AG
Richierich2323 said:

I like the point system. It shows the importance of protecting and winning games at home and the power of winning away games. You lose an away game, it's going be alright. You win a home game, you were supposed to win it your at home.

Ags could win 5 home games and lose all my away games and not make the tournament.

Right now, I see us as a 11 seed with a lot of time to improve our stock. It does not really matter if you like it or not...it's been working

I disagree. If we win out at home and lose out on the road I think we're in. That's a lot of quality wins and no bad losses (I'm assuming LSU and Ole Miss would jump into Q2 with wins over us)
bobinator
AG
We'd be in and it wouldn't even be close.
Rec
AG
If we win tonight I'll be at +10 or 12
Proposition Joe
bobinator said:

I just don't get how it's different from telling the team "Guys, we probably need 12 conference wins to make it." Lord knows I hate to agree with Prop Joe on here, but it's just a complicated way of saying the exact same thing.

I don't get how this +1, -1 system helps you focus on 'one game at a time' any more than that a total number would.

Is

"Even if we win all of our home games, we still need to win three road games, so every opportunity to win is going to matter"

somehow different from

"We're +3 right now, and we can get to Arkansas be +4, so let's lock in" or whatever?

Some people are slow learners.

But really it is just a perfect encapsulation of Buzz' personality (for better or for worse). He loves to take things that are relatively simple and turn them into an analytics deep-dive.

When you're winning it's endearing and interesting, when you're losing it can make you just shake your head.

I mean, sure maybe you can make the case it "keeps the players interested"... but then I'd counter maybe he should figure out some way to keep them interested in beating Wofford?
frenchtoast
All we need now is an anthropormorphic plus sign mascot guy to show up at Reed for our remaining home games. We'll call him Plussy.

I guess it would make more sense if he only went to road games, but whatever.
Proposition Joe
"HEY SCOOTER, WHY DO THEY CALL IT A CURVEBALL?"

JJxvi
AG
The point system is stupid if you think about it at all when talking about a balanced home/away conference slate.

Its value has nothing to do with home and away at all, because each game is actually always worth one point (you either save a point because you win at home, or you gain a point because you win on the road, but every game always has exactly the same single point worth of impact to your final score).
JJxvi
AG
The only way thinking in these terms is statistically beneficial is when a coach like Buzz is actually deciding where to schedule games. A more away game heavy schedule will have a higher maximum total score than a more home heavy schedule because home games lower your score and away games raise it.
Proposition Joe
You don't have to say "you have to get to 12-6" to get players to focus on the next game.

Saying you need to get to +12 in wins is no different than saying you need to get to +3 (or whatever) in the dumb formula, except in the latter case there's actually times when you you ground. Not sure how that is inspiring.

But let's be honest, most of know it's just a public facing front for the common fan. We all know they've actually got one of these bad boys in the clubhouse:

Argentina Aggie
Let's get the win tonight, Ags!
bobinator
AG

Quote:

I was actually expecting the usual #GetBetter email last night, Buzz must have not been able to get service on the fax machine he uses.

We'll have to see what happens tonight and if he can get one out in the postgame.
Sq 17
When conference play started the Ags were not in the tourney, to get in tourney the Ags needed a winning conference record which means winning more road games than you lose home games

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.