Buzz's job security

9,502 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by greg.w.h
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

I mean I don't know what Savion Flagg's deal is. He was up and down the whole time here. Maybe it was coaching, maybe it's him, without being in practice how would we know.

My point wasn't that Buzz deserves all the credit for Miller improving, he doesn't, I was just saying that if you take the end product and compare what came before it and just always say that anything not as good as where you are now is 'underperforming' then that's a weird way of looking at things.
How can you still not know?

The guy just isn't a fluid basketball player. How many air balls and dribbles off the leg did you need to see until you realize that?

Did he have some talent? Sure. Mainly due to his height and general athleticism. When it came to basketball skills, his talent would have been best utilized as a spot up shooter off the bench.

I'm excited to see a team that isn't hamstrung by Flagg.
bobinator
AG
Flagg wasn't the point of that conversation, but what I was saying with "I don't know what Flagg's deal is" I just mean the mental side of the game. Is he working hard to get better but he just isn't, or is he (I suspect this is the case) just a lazy player mentally.

Is he trying to get better but just doesn't, or is he not even trying? I don't know how you'd ever know that unless you're in practice.
skaggsjw
AG
Proposition Joe said:

He's still a great coach with skins on the wall. He's still a coach that should do great things here.
Why would you be worried then? You either really like to argue or really don't believe this.
Proposition Joe
skaggsjw said:

Proposition Joe said:

He's still a great coach with skins on the wall. He's still a coach that should do great things here.
Why would you be worried then? You either really like to argue or really don't believe this.

Because it's a discussion forum and coaching criticism/evaluation makes up about 50% of it?
Ric Clark
I am a season ticket holder, and happy he came back to the AGGIES ... Is Buzz on the HOT SEAT?

Buzz is currently the #9 highest-paid college basketball coach. 3 SEC coaches are higher paid ... The AGGIES have paid Buzz $7,000,000.00 so far ... He signed a 6-year, $24,000,000.00+ contract which increases $800,000.00 each year ... He will be paid $4,000,000.00 this year, bringing his total to $11,000,000.00 ... as an AGGIE fan, are you impressed with the $7,000,000.00 worth of production, development, improvements or wins at Reed the last 2 years?

I hope he is on the HOT SEAT ... I hope the team's medical staff has to treat the burns on his butt every day before he goes home.

Fortune Favors Valor
greg.w.h
AG
Once again: the contract is what it takes to get the hire. He has proven himself previously. And burns on his butt won't make a difference as the contract is 100% guaranteed as far as we are aware. Fomenting for pressure primarily demotivates the fan base when more fans at games usually correlates to better team performance (though you could argue that isn't causation, I dare you to interview coaches and ask them what they think about it. Gary Blair is an unrelenting promoter of women's basketball and his team and continually works the crowds to bolster his fan base.)

I am not saying he is undeserving of a warm seat, but I expect Bjork to manage that and hope fans will show up and support the team.
DukeMu
Buzz' best coaching jobs were his last year at Va Tech and first year at Texas A&M. Buzz hasn't forgotten how to coach. COVID screw up practice and playing. I don't think we practice or played for 5 weeks in the middle of last season...and screwed up recruiting/portal.

On the other side, we have more talent and will have time to proace and get ready over the remainder of summer and fall.
DukeMu
bobinator said:

Flagg wasn't the point of that conversation, but what I was saying with "I don't know what Flagg's deal is" I just mean the mental side of the game. Is he working hard to get better but he just isn't, or is he (I suspect this is the case) just a lazy player mentally.

Is he trying to get better but just doesn't, or is he not even trying? I don't know how you'd ever know that unless you're in practice.

Addition by subtraction re; Flagg and the remainder of bricklayers who left.

Emanuel OTOH was a massive loss and could have been the heart of this year's team.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Buzz has as many tournament appearances and more trips to the S16 and beyond in the time period that he left here as an assistant coach than A&M's program has in my lifetime. There's no way he's in jeopardy of losing his job this season, or likely the next, at a program with our history.

Maybe he won't work out, but the puffing up about the "hot seat" from some posters is absurd to me considering his contract and the information we have about his prior career. Not to mention we don't exactly have a rabid fan base willing to run him off in the next few years.
EXCELL
I'm betting the SEC clusterF with tu and ZeroU will cast a shadow in almost all sports.
Until the dust settles with that I don't see big expenditures but coaching buyouts anywhere.
greg.w.h
AG
EXCELL said:

I'm betting the SEC clusterF with tu and ZeroU will cast a shadow in almost all sports.
Until the dust settles with that I don't see big expenditures but coaching buyouts anywhere.
Maybe. But it seems that as we get more insight the future is more remunerative rather than less. Choosing to bank the excess is a loser's gambit. That is separate of the Buzz deal except for the rumor of disagreement with Woodward and Sharp. If Sharp does not fully believe in investing in athletics as the front porch from a marketing perspective, then we likely choose the safe play. GDP this year is expected to exceed 2019 for what it's worth.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.